Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So? Still gotta be consistent.
When the wizard turns into a crow to fly away, where are his memories stored? A crow's brain doesn't have sufficient volume to store a human's worth of memories. A crow's body can't produce the process of human consciousness.
Extra-physical quantum space.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
What if she caused the ceiling to collapse? Wait so if she wounds herself what happens?

Young man, you are entirely too obsessed and have far too much time. You need to get some sort of life. I suggest you go have an intense love affair. Doesn’t matter with who, be it man, woman, or German Shepherd a bear.

When the wizard turns into a crow to fly away, where are his memories stored? A crow's brain doesn't have sufficient volume to store a human's worth of memories. A crow's body can't produce the process of human consciousness.

That's questioning the 'how' of the setting. ERYFKRAD questions the consistency, which is fairly important in world building of any kind.

Longes

Augur
So? Still gotta be consistent.
It's D&D, souls are real. You can take yours out and launch it into the astral planes and keep all your memories with no body at all. You fool! You god-worshipping buffoon! "Ooooh Lathander, may I please, please have a Cure Light Wounds? I promise I'll be an extra good boy today if you just give me a spell!" Get yourself a book and memorize spells on your own, without spreading wide for some god for eight hours every night. That'll put some hair on your chest.

YxJECFy.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
giphy.gif

Just as an innocent squirrel, propelled with full force off a cliff, meets a tragic end, so too do the fragile hopes of those unfortunate enough to encounter you on the road.
I'm in danger! lol I will avenge you brother! Dagoth Ur was right! Death to the scalies!

Also who had it worse, punty the squirrel here or the unfortunate squirrel that witnessed the bear scene. Yeah, I think the squirrel that saw the bear scene has it worse, at least punty has been put out of his misery.

Longes

Augur
giphy.gif

Just as an innocent squirrel, propelled with full force off a cliff, meets a tragic end, so too do the fragile hopes of those unfortunate enough to encounter you on the road.
I'm in danger! lol I will avenge you brother! Dagoth Ur was right! Death to the scalies!

Also who had it worse, punty the squirrel here or the unfortunate squirrel that witnessed the bear scene.
Are they different squirrels?

ArchAngel

Arcane
giphy.gif

Also who had it worse, punty the squirrel here or the unfortunate squirrel that witnessed the bear scene. Yeah, I think the squirrel that saw the bear scene has it worse, at least punty has been put out of his misery.
PETA!!

Israfael

Arcane
I remember there was that thread at Larian forums with some sort of interrashual relashuns with animations and such (including some CP-esque scenes with gnomes and so on). It seems that Sven et al. took the notice and improved on it :lol:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Aren't polearms and spears the most common/effective weapons?
Common, yes.
Effective, depends. Military formations, yes. Fighting, only if you and your opponent(s) suck ass.
Versatility is the most important quality a weapon can have. In that regard swords are far superior to polearms. But as such they require actual skill to be handled.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
In that regard swords are far superior to polearms. But as such they require actual skill to be handled.

Spears/polearms require skill to use and have their own martial art just as swords do, even in duels. It is amazing what an experienced, trained man can do with a spear.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Effective, depends. Military formations, yes. Fighting, only if you and your opponent(s) suck ass.
1v1 spear is still the best weapon. Reach is king. People who think spears aren't better than swords have never played with long sticks.

The reason swords were more used than spears in small scale combat is because you can wear a sword on your person. You can't really wear a spear to the market, or while traveling. So a lot of small peer to peer combat happened with swords, because that's what the people had at the time. If it was organized, prepared combat, it probably featured longer range weapons.

inb4 muh small corridors

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
katana best weapon!
That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bullshit that's going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.
Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.
Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.
So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:
(One-Handed Exotic Weapon) 1d12 Damage 19-20 x4 Crit +2 to hit and damage Counts as Masterwork
(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon) 2d10 Damage 17-20 x4 Crit +5 to hit and damage Counts as Masterwork
Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don't you think?
tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Nerevar Spears and longspears were very effective weapons (just ask Alexander the Great and his macedonians), but they also had secondary weapons (mostly shortswords) to fight in melee when the enemy troops eventually broke through.
However, there is only so much a devastating longspear formation can do, the greeks relied too much on their phalanx and got wrecked by the romans in short order during the battle of Pydna. Roman infantry was badass.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Spears/polearms require skill to use
Not near as much as swords though

And IMO games should always do them like this :
Spears = low skill floor, low skill ceiling
Sword = high skill floor, high skill ceiling

1v1 spear is still the best weapon. Reach is king. People who think spears aren't better than swords have never played with long sticks.
Nah
I did play with sticks
The trick of figthing against spears is the fear its reach instills, which discourages an opponent from fully committing to an attack
But this only works if said opponent doesn't have any proper experience/training

I remember seeing this funny video that claimed to "scientifically prove!!!" that spears are thoroughly superior
But ultimately it just proved what experience taught me
The swordsmen that failed did so entirely because they either didn't fully commit their attacks, as they stopped/back away at the last moment, or because their "attacks" were just the most clumsy, ungraceful attempts at an attack (yet the author of the video claims they were all "experienced" fighters :lol:)
And the few swordsman that did succeed, never held back and actually showed to possess some technique

Last edited:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom