Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gargaune

Arcane
And even then, those were donned by people who could afford a full armor set, and that kinda dude never really fought in wars with the rest of the armies. Medieval conscription was mostly made out of farmers who lived in the land of a lord. Professional armies are a moden age thing (15th century onwards)
Of course those dudes fought, it's what they did. The feudal nobility governed lands in peacetime and fought in wars. Civilian levies weren't raised for every border skirmish, but whenever there was fighting, there were definitely nobles doing it, often cavalry in full armour, chain up to the 14th century and increasingly plate thereafter. Aside from them, you've got the other "professional" armies in the form of mercenary companies, often landless noble scions looking for opportunities but not exclusively. Their lords might command from the back or lead from the front, but the nobility was always getting action in engagements.

Swords were used in medieval times, but as a sidearm for the most part. Meaning the soldier would carry a primary weapon usually, like a spear, bow, axe, and in some cases a sword as a sidearm.
Yep, this is correct, swords were primarily a backup weapon. Prior to the adoption of plate armour around the 14th century onwards, infantry are primarily using spears, and after that you start seeing more polearms. As a rule of thumb, for combatants in plate, one-handed weapons are for horseback and two-handed are for fighting on-foot.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
It doesn't matter what weapon a bunch of filthy, toothless peasants would use while fighting in a big square... those guys aren't in BG3. We need to know what sort of weapon a trashy romance novel model who spends the first 6 hours of the day primping themselves in the mirror, styling their hair with multiple products and coordinating their outrageously elaborate outfit would use. Probably a purse.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
How does the Flail of Ages work then? Can you really behead dragons and then fit them on a grip with a chain? Or are flail heads usually made of something else, like a tail? While I've got you, where's the on-hit slow coming from?

How does the Flail of Ages work then? Can you really behead dragons and then fit them on a grip with a chain? Or are flail heads usually made of something else, like a tail? While I've got you, where's the on-hit slow coming from?
fetchimage

Yosharian

Arcane
Oh wait, she wants to dom you and you have to be a foot stool to romance her?
What are you basing this on
Steam forums. If it was just one person saying it i’d dismiss it but people keep saying you have to kowtow to her bossiness before she warms up to you and very much be a submissive type. But apparently she might also have been toned down due to player feedback? We will see i guess…
I see, thanks. What I read is that there has been something datamined that suggests that the player might be able to make a significant change to her character later on if they have made the right choices etc

Not gonna spoil it more than that but it looks like there might be more to her than meets the eye

Just gotta get rid of that bowl haircut with mods

rojay

Scholar
It's hard for our modern brains to wrap around it, but training as a concept for fighting men didn't really catch on until much later.
There are some Legionaries who would like to discuss this topic with you and there's a line behind them starting with some Hoplites.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Aren't polearms and spears the most common/effective weapons?

IRL I feel like halberds and crossbows would be the way to go to get someone trained up quickly and effectively.
In war, standing in formations, yes. After a certain point in time those became dominant. The situation we players are in is usually not on a battlefield though.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's hard for our modern brains to wrap around it, but training as a concept for fighting men didn't really catch on until much later.
There are some Legionaries who would like to discuss this topic with you and there's a line behind them starting with some Hoplites.

Not sure if serious... legionaries yes (the fall of the western empire really did fuck up Europe for a while) but most hoplites would be considered undertrained and not professional soldiery in the way we understand them.

In fact, a cursory search shows that you don't need to go further than wikipedia:

Most hoplites were not professional soldiers and often lacked sufficient military training.

There are exceptions of course, Phillip's Macedonians among them (although not traditional hoplites as we know them). Regular training was considered an anomaly among local greek armies, and it was this that propelled the Macedonian phalanx to such great successes.

I suspect any kind of organized combat training in the middle ages, in Europe, was sparse at best. Although I'm far from being a historian, so I don't mind being proved wrong.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Keep in mind that the legionaries that we often refer to aren't the earliest ones. The early legionaries weren't really properly trained and equipped soldiers.

Black

Arcane
Bix Nood: Da baldurs gate 3 gonna be epin! and other developers can't do this and shouldn't try

Then why is the combat sub par? Why are the character classes and builds undercooked? Why are all the henchmen garbage people? How does this braindead black explain Solasta and PF they are big games that didn't have the money/experience that Larian has.

Black people should just not be allowed to be on the internet... or exist.
How about I cave your skull in?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hi.

bair? Bare! BEAR!

Gosh m aybe it was meant to be funny with a Bear but does anyone who has been playing as a Druid know if you can shapeshift into a mouse?

It would be a good way to explore and get under a door or through a crack in a wall like in Ultima 6 that is a shame it was the only time such a quest required being a mouse except if you wanted to explore Lord British's Castle and run through the walls using the mouse holes right but really a lost attempt at having such a unique member of the party at the time so is it just shapeshifting for combat and sexual encounters or if you play as a Bear are there quests that you might have to be a Bear to solve?" Maybe fishing for salmon or getting honey from a bee nest but if you can shapeshift and play as a mouse there is some potential to play a Druid but with Cities Skyline 2 coming out there might not be enough disk space for BG3 but will keep an eye on it and if it is like DOS2 probably not so much then.

Thanks,
Sherry
I'm interested in Sherry's thoughts as a Canadian, iirc. :lol:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait, so if the ceiling collapses on her does the building collapse on itself and thus flatten her or what?
As the chunks of stone tear her flesh, the architect of the building's body is mangled instead.
What if she caused the ceiling to collapse? Wait so if she wounds herself what happens?
Listen here, dipshit, its magic, not physics.
So? Still gotta be consistent.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So? Still gotta be consistent.
When the wizard turns into a crow to fly away, where are his memories stored? A crow's brain doesn't have sufficient volume to store a human's worth of memories. A crow's body can't produce the process of human consciousness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom