Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reinhardt

Arcane
why? it's basically staff with pointy end.
Its absolutely not. Its thicker, and longer, and heavier, and hits on all the tree branches, and you injure your mate when you lower it.
why you wander under the trees? decent people walking roads. are you robber?
I don't know if you've seen where old roads go through. There's trees.
Actually, wasn't there a roman roads thread on this forum?
that's job for foresters - cut trees and remove bushes near roads to prevent ambushes.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I remember seeing this funny video that claimed to "scientifically prove!!!" that spears are thoroughly superior
But ultimately it just proved what experience taught me
The swordsmen that failed did so entirely because they either didn't fully commit their attacks, as they stopped/back away at the last moment, or because their "attacks" were just the most clumsy, ungraceful attempts at an attack (yet the author of the video claims they were all "experienced" fighters :lol:)
And the few swordsman that did succeed, never held back and actually showed to possess some technique
What if the swordsman is better too?
And this debate already has enough empirical evidence via fencing and even boxing. The guy who fights like Mike Tyson tends to lose, because step back and jab from the longer ranged guy is too effective.
And in boxing, this is somewhat balanced by the jab doing less damage. With blades, a jab is an incapacitated opponent.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Decent country has big GREEN tree canopy. Not every country is steppe ruled by horse archers.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Decent country has big GREEN tree canopy. Not every country is steppe ruled by horse archers.
And in the steppe you moreso want range, from your horse. So much empty flat space to move. So far you can see people from. Bow or spear for my caravan guards.

Reinhardt

Arcane
katana best weapon!
For subhuman niggers like you sure a toy sword is enough.
images

Saravan

Savant
Katanas and other Japanese out-of-place shit in BG were the start of the weeabo decline. Degeneracy starts innocently with stuff like this, but it always thirsts for more. And now here we are fucking bears and celebrating tiefling companions.

Larianshill

Arbiter
That's it. I'm sick of all this "1d6/1d8 versatile weapon" bullshit that's going on in the Fifth Edition right now. Spears deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine longspear on ebay for about 515$ and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even penetrate fullplate with my spear.

Smiths of the entire world spent centuries perfecting the concept of a polearm to deliver the most versatile weapon ever known to mankind.

Spears have thrice the reach of a European longswords and are thrice as sharp for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a spear can pierce through better. I'm pretty sure a spear could easily stop an entire cavalry charge with a simple forward thrust.

Ever wonder why people came up with lances? That's right, knights were too envious of disciplined peasants and their spears of destruction. Even in the Hundred Year War, english longbowmen targeted the men with the spears first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? A spear is simply the best weapon the world has ever seen, and thus, requires better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for them:

(One-Handed Simple Weapon)
1d12 piercing damage, 2d8 when held in two hands
Has 10 foot reach
Can be thrown at 90 feet, 180 feet with a disadvantage.
Attacks made with an advantage against mounted targets

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of spears in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = Spears need to do more damage in 5E, see my new stat block.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
I remember seeing this funny video that claimed to "scientifically prove!!!" that spears are thoroughly superior
But ultimately it just proved what experience taught me
The swordsmen that failed did so entirely because they either didn't fully commit their attacks, as they stopped/back away at the last moment, or because their "attacks" were just the most clumsy, ungraceful attempts at an attack (yet the author of the video claims they were all "experienced" fighters :lol:)
And the few swordsman that did succeed, never held back and actually showed to possess some technique
What if the swordsman is better too?
And this debate already has enough empirical evidence via fencing and even boxing. The guy who fights like Mike Tyson tends to lose, because step back and jab from the longer ranged guy is too effective.
And in boxing, this is somewhat balanced by the jab doing less damage. With blades, a jab is an incapacitated opponent.

While I don't necessarily disagree with the broad conclusions of that video, the setup suffers from the usual disregard for armour, weapon weight, strike locations, momentum - lots of variables that matter, but aren't really accounted for.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Katanas and other Japanese out-of-place shit in BG were the start of the weeabo decline. Degeneracy starts innocently with stuff like this, but it always thirsts for more. And now here we are fucking bears and celebrating tiefling companions.
Fool. We didn’t have that trash, because Katanas and Ninjas held the degeneracy back.

pezzr7o8xfab1.jpg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What will a flail do?
1) Each weapon has weapon skills in BG3
2) Flails are cool as fuck

Putting skills into weapons is a good adition which makes martials more interesting. But did they made magical weapons more interesting? I know that many people consider it "unbalanced" but I miss the crazy epic loot from previous editions.
. Military formations, yes. Fighting, only if you and your opponent(s) suck ass.

Not truth. Polearms unique problem is the lack of portability but they are very effective in battlefield or in person, also required less maintenance and coudl be used for hunting or self defense against wild animals. If a Boar is charging into your direction IRL, you are much better with a winged spear than with a sword or axe.

inb4 muh small corridors

If you have space in front and behind you, you can use your spear. Would't be very effective, but you can still use.

Katanas and other Japanese out-of-place shit in BG were the start of the weeabo decline.

That depends on the game setting. I would't mind in a Jade Empire like RPG, seeing a DAO saber.

UdLk5pO.png

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Experiencing this event from two different perspectives is pretty cool.
That's what she said. To the bear.
shield_maiden.jpg
Wait, so if the ceiling collapses on her does the building collapse on itself and thus flatten her or what?
probably only affects sentient beings/arm inflicted intentionally. Also the keyword in the spell seems to be 'in battle", and since war metaphores were often applied to sexual intercourse in old days, it applies litterally. Sorcery is mostly about semiotics, not physics.

What an horrible curse!

Last edited:

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Isn't it weird how many highly trained MMA fighters and also spec ops soldiers and also masters of every melee weapon discipline there are posting online? It seems that the dorkier the hobby, the higher the percentage of natural born killers there are. The numbers seem a little fishy to me, but everyone speaks so matter-of-factly that they *must* be drawing upon the personal experience of a thousand deadly battles that they fought throughout their lifetime as a true warrior. Right??

Sherry

Arcane
but does anyone who has been playing as a Druid know if you can shapeshift into a mouse?
No, but you can shapeshift into a gerbil and crawl up Astarion's ass. This was personally mandated by Swen himself.

Hi.

barf. Barf. BARF!

Gosh this comment reminds me of a secne from a show maybe you have seen it or heard of it but have not watched it yet so if you have not I can find a YouTube vidoe of it for you but it is called The Boys and you can watch it on Amazon Prime there are four seasons and a fifth one is being done. I will just say do not sneeze inside when you shapeshift to a gerbil okay? Okay! :hahano:

Oh I did some searching in case you or some others would like to see it visually and despite the body gore just know it is a really good show we binged it during the winter when I fractured my ankle when I slipped on the sidewalk and landed hard it has superheros and interesting plot lines wth character development too so go to the YouTube and just search for the boys season 3 sneeze scene

edit just for me to return to page 820 to catch up because I have to go grocery shopping now.

Thanks,
Sherry

Last edited:

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Isn't it weird how many highly trained MMA fighters and also spec ops soldiers and also masters of every melee weapon discipline there are posting online? It seems that the dorkier the hobby, the higher the percentage of natural born killers there are. The numbers seem a little fishy to me, but everyone speaks so matter-of-factly that they *must* be drawing upon the personal experience of a thousand deadly battles that they fought throughout their lifetime as a true warrior. Right??

Give me a Fauchard fork and I'll take out any swordsman 1v1 10v1 it doesn't matter they'll have to call 911.

bhhgjV4.jpg

cpmartins

Cipher
You take that fucking back, my kensai/mage wielding celestial fury was the pinnacle of AD&D.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I wrote that I base my opinion on fighting with sticks. You are fighting windmills here.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
All you need to do to see how much of a steaming pile of shit BG3.

Look at the henchmen they give you and compare them to any of the RPGs they claim to be spiritual successors of. All of the party members in BG3 are gross crude abrasive toilet people who openly disrespect the player character. And then they have the audacity to add companion influence? Who cares what these sacks of garbage think they need to obey orders or die.

I feel the dark urge rising.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
1688998066508327.png

Paladin Karlach, here we come
That's honestly really lame. It makes no sense for half of the companions to be other classes.
You don't actually have to use it, but it's nice that they gave this option without mods.

I agree, for it "making no sense" the kinds of players who wouldn't use it are going to be into the story mainly anyway, so they're not going to be that interested in messing around with companions' classes, they'll generally play the game as the devs intended.

As to Tactician players, they're going to want to mess around with companions' classes anyway, by hook or by crook (i.e. mods) and they won't be that concerned about it messing up with the devs intentions for the characters (or if they do they'll play them normally).

There are going to be a few who'll click around mindlessly without knowing what they're doing, but fuck 'em.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom