Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
So instead we get the Shaolin stupidity
kenshiro-finger-popping.gif

5e DnD monks are based after eastern fighting monks with a heavy dose of mysticism.
Fun fact: D&D monks in general weren't strictly inspired by "Monastic tradition", but from their creator being a fan of the "Remo Williams" books.
While one could argue that following that same thread to its point of origin "monastic traditions" were always the indirect source of inspiration, their influence in D&D archetypes grew stronger and more obvious only on subsequent iterations.

On a side note, I'm not sure if someone ever stated it openly, but the current "Four Elements" concept in particular seems to be heavily borrowed from Avatar, without no particular effort to even trying to hide it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I try monks in every game. It works in many of them, even if they are not always the best. Some times, they are worthless.

My second go-to fighting style is a 2 handed melee weapon wielder.

Third choice is usually a sneaky character.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I try monks in every game. It works in many of them, even if they are not always the best. Some times, they are worthless.

My second go-to fighting style is a 2 handed melee weapon wielder.

Third choice is usually a sneaky character.
No magic love?

Barbarian

Arcane
A big sign of the faggification of d&d(and this game) is that seemingly every recruitable npc in this is "hawt" and "romanceable"- with the exception of maybe Minsc.

Probably the biggest reason why there isn't a single recruitable Gnome, Dwarf or Halfling btw. Those are races unused by this trope.

Moving onto more interesting stuff, this is one of the topics where the cultural war bullshit has made it so that you can't make everybody happy:

- Make hot females: you get people bitching about objectification and what-not, as well as a few criticizing it for cheapening the experience - don't be surprised if people end up bitching about having a tits slider (?) in this.
- Make them rugged: you get people bitching about how SJWs have destroyed beauty in videogames - again, if they had introduced a romanceable dwarf instead of Minthara or Karlach more people would bitch about not having enough hawt human romance options in a fantasy game... unless it was a big titty dwarf, maybe :smug:

We went through this some time ago when Larian decided to remove the bikini armor from D:OS.

And a similar thing happens with romances and party member interactions, with some people getting triggered about NPCs acting all uppity and others ranting about Larian including an insta-friendz button for Shadowheart. A really dumb "give me my power-fantasy" vs. "stop pandering to the player" situation, which could be solved with more comprehensive difficulty settings.

Well they could still make the shitty "romanceable" (barf) characters that the teenage fatties soak their gamer chairs over. But then they could also make a couple of good ones who are just cool, no-nonsense adventurer guys that want to slay monsters and solve problems for cultured gamers like myself.

Indeed. Why does Elthosian think on these terms? I don't care about romanceable dwarfs(no shit), just a dwarf bro companion for the adventuring tb combat and roleplay. It is one of the cooler meme races. The only decent and entertaining companion in troonfinder was literally a dwarf(Greybor).

With current BG3 roster it is even hard to actually fill the 3 companion slots. You pick one of the waifu sluts(if you are into that) and then what? You either create a merc companion or are stuck with HAWT SEXY ELF ROMANCEABLE COMPANIONS WRITTEN BY WYMMIN AND FAGGOTS for the rest of the game. All of them annoying and sick cast. They even have a literal buff elf druid who turns into a bear when hornying(the subject of this thread's last 30 pages or so).

Even the bugfinder games had more sensible companion rosters where not every single character is supposed to be a romanceable coomer fantasy.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
no-nonsense adventurer guys
:hmmm:
It's a bunch of straight guys pallin around, going on adventures, taking care of business (TCOB). No nonsense and no girls allowed. Just the boys. We go out raiding and we come home to eat. Rinse and repeat.
You joke now buddy, but go ahead and adventure with a bunch of chicks. Once you're stuck resting in a cramped cave and their periods all sync up you'll be jamming your head into a mimic's open mouth to end your suffering.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Monks are cringe. The only way to sufficiently dilute the class is to pair them with other classes like how in Kingmaker, you take them for increased AC. Your fists aren't lethal weapons, you're just delusional.
I suppose for a martial class the fact that it isn’t even remotely inspired by a historical anologue makes them seem more like a bad Halloween costume than the others.

I’m not an expert on the path that led to their inclusion in D&D, but I suspect it was on the back of the sudden 1980’s US pop culture interest in the Orient, which is a stupid, shallow reason to include them. European monks would be much better, with monk as a cleric subclass or something.
Monks were introduced alongside assassins in Supplement II: Blackmoor in 1975. AD&D 1st edition incorporated the new classes (thief, paladin, monk, assassin, druid) introduced in the OD&D supplements, as well as few of its own (ranger, illusionist, and optional bard). Although martial arts films were popular enough in the 1970s to create a concept for the monk class, it never fit well with the implied setting of D&D and the game's other inspirations, so Gary Gygax was happy to have the monk class included in the 1985 hardcover rulebook Oriental Adventures, which was an attempt at creating a D&D/AD&D variant taking inspiration from eastern Asia (primarily Japan, secondarily China, and not much from anywhere else), and noted that he intended to exclude the monk class from a prospective AD&D 2nd edition. David Zeb Cook's AD&D 2nd edition in 1989 did indeed exclude the monk class, though in 1985 a similar mystic class had been introduced as an option in BECMI D&D's 'Black Box' Master Rules boxset, and this mystic class would be included as an option in the 1991 D&D Rules Cyclopedia compilation.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
Larian audience

After release someone go ahead and do a forensic analysis of what in BG3 can be credited to a woman and see how much of the worst garbage in it is gone. I bet a high proportion.
Seeing what passes as "humor" in this game I can guarantee that this game will be filled to the brim with meme humor and "millennial writing".

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It says something about this game that the elderly elf with a poor sense of personal hygiene is one of the more fuckable characters.

Seeing what passes as "humor" in this game I can guarantee that this game will be filled to the brim with meme humor and "millennial writing".

Even worse, it'll be a millennial writing as if they were a zoomer.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Tbh all this scandal about the bear scene happened because we are in 2023 and people cannot laugh anymore games had wicked shit long before bg3
Remember Vendetta?
Side scroller fighting game?
In a level you could get humped by homos.
In another you could get humped by dogs.
Of courae at the time there was not this need to make everything political so people just laughted at it.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tbh all this scandal about the bear scene happened because we are in 2023 and people cannot laugh anymore games had wicked shit long before bg3
Remember Vendetta?
Side scroller fighting game?
In a level you could get humped by homos.
In another you could get humped by dogs.
Of courae at the time there was not this need to make everything political so people just laughted at it.
Most of these people would've joined burning D&D on the stake for demon worshiping if it were the 80's still.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
I think the biggest problem that people had with the gay bear sex scene was the gaming jurnoscum trying to pass this off as "tender" and normal. If this game came out in 2011 and Larian showed that scene you would have had gaming mags and sites saying things like the scene is "silly", "weird", "outrageous", "naughty", "kinky", "over the top", with the articles also being filled with bear pun jokes and at the end of the articles them saying; "Larian, you saucy boys and gals you."
Instead you see wording from the likes of Kotaku and Polygon saying the scene was "tender", 'beautiful", "sweet", "validating" as well as them trying to justify degenerate sexualities like bestiality and polyamory as something normal in articles about a CRPG video game. I always knew jounroscum were vile, I just didn't need to know what turned them on.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jaheira has fucked two men and now both men are dead. Coincidence? I think not
Canonically only one iirc, although I can't divulge on how I know that the global parameter for Jaheira's romance in BG2 is set to '69' after you've accepted to join her in her tent.

Attachments

• jltid.jpg
    jltid.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I think the biggest problem that people had with the gay bear sex scene was the gaming jurnoscum trying to pass this off as "tender" and normal. If this game came out in 2011 and Larian showed that scene you would have gaming mags and sites saying things like the scene is "silly", "weird", "outrageous", "naughty", "kinky", "over the top", with the articles also being filled with bear pun jokes and at the end of the articles them saying; "Larian, you saucy boys and gals you."
Instead you see wording from the likes of Kotaku and Polygon saying the scene was "tender", 'beautiful", "sweet", "validating" as well as them trying to justify degenerate sexualities like bestiality and polyamory as something normal in articles about a CRPG video game. I always knew jounroscum were vile, I just didn't need to know what turned them on.
yeah, but you have the notion that kotaku and polygon matter in 2023

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I think the biggest problem that people had with the gay bear sex scene was the gaming jurnoscum trying to pass this off as "tender" and normal. If this game came out in 2011 and Larian showed that scene you would have gaming mags and sites saying things like the scene is "silly", "weird", "outrageous", "naughty", "kinky", "over the top", with the articles also being filled with bear pun jokes and at the end of the articles them saying; "Larian, you saucy boys and gals you."

The real answer is because the journos didn't want to offend anybody.

Video game journos are what happens when you scrape the bottom for anybody willing to work for peanuts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom