Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
In other words, a company sticking to their vocation.

The reasons why they don't, are well documented. Usually a publisher buys, then forces, developers to do things they are utterly unsuited to. Company XYZ being forced to develop a MMO shooter, when they are a single-player story-driven RPG company. The only thing that sounds different here, is Larian was allowed to develop to a large size more like an indie studio with a vocation. Like a business actually should, i.e. "Harrison & Sons Tailored Suits" or "Smith's Tyre Company".
Again, incentives aren't there in our current social arrangement for the money people to make decisions conducive to interesting or innovative results. It sucks, but it's the truth and simply saying it shouldn't be that way ignores how little power 99% of the actual devs have over business decisions. :|

Zeriel

Arcane
Maaaan, even gay bear sex is not enough for those clowns.
Yeah, because the bear isn't trans and Astarion isn't a nog.

Progressivism isn't dedicated to any one thing. It's in the name. "Culture of critique"; which means that whatever is produced, no matter how much it openly panders to your currently broadcasted desires, you simply invent new ones to "progress" and say the old ones are outmoded and probably bigoted too. A black character isn't enough. It has to be a black trans non-binary bestiality fetishist. And if you even give them that, they'll just come up with some reason it isn't satisfying. The whole thing is a status game, and the fact society has bent itself around these people is truly absurd. They don't want anything in particular, only to register their displeasure over whatever exists, then ride that displeasure to promotions, sinecures, a career, etc.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_overproduction

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Trannyera is SEETHING.
I2y7Loh.png

N1UwzpX.png
BG3 has managed to bring Resetera and certain Codexers together in a harmony of bitching about how Bg3 is the worst game of all time. Maybe those two groups have more in common than they think. . .

Zeriel

Arcane
Trannyera is SEETHING.
I2y7Loh.png

N1UwzpX.png
BG3 has managed to bring Resetera and certain Codexers together in a harmony of bitching about how Bg3 is the worst game of all time. Maybe those two groups have more in common than they think.

Eh not really, it's the opposite. It's radicalization in action. The freakishness of these people has created an antibody reaction in some people here. That doesn't make them alike, anymore than a T cell is identical to a virus.

We'd all be better off there was more reactionaries, honestly. If there had been a critical mass of them fighting these people off before they infiltrated every institution, we would be fine.

Reality

Learned
I kinda expect lategame to fall apart like always in the original sin games - os1 expert skills = os2 source skills = bg3 tadpole skills.

Am hoping early-midgane is good enough to make up for it.

Trannyera is SEETHING.
I2y7Loh.png

N1UwzpX.png
I have no idea about the first, but the second is undoubtedly a fake.
Source: it's my account and I never posted that delirious shit.

Someone never visited that shithole, lol (probably for the best). The """people""" there are insane.
They often are, yes.
But this doesn't change the fact you are taking the bait with a blatant fake.

Then again I'll admit that if I didn't know for a fact the second can't be real, I would have easily believed someone on that forum could have posted this or worse.

goregasm

Scholar
So I think the real question is, what's going to be filled with more leftist fag cream, this or rogue trader?

Seriously though I'm fairly interested in the new BG, even though D&D has been taken over by degenerates, but I'm not touching it until I get through some other stuff, Colony Ship, my current playthroughs of BG 1&2, I am giving DOS 2 and honest shot right now, and PoE2. I also want to check out JA3 eventually.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Zeriel, I didn't do a good job with the sarcasm. To an extent, I don't think either side actually has strongly held values on the matter; they just need something to get angry about. If it's a shit game, normal people just move on. Certain posters (ResetEra, Codex, 4channers, or otherwise) are too autistic to do so, and will be here bitching about the game long after people have moved on to the next game.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I think you just described the entire FR setting.
It's painfully American at times, but that doesn't change how much sillier the end results would be if everything was just ad-hoc'd. Having access to everything doesn't automatically mean using everything, nevermind focusing on everything. But they have options, and likely have some license expand on aspects they want to be more evocative.

It's far from my favourite setting but that was never the point. The cost in time and money to build a fresh world with even half the legacy to draw upon was the point (or even expand an existing one to the same effect); it's a huge effort to make even a shody knock-off equivalent to Tolkien's work and the sense of history that comes with such a sustained long-term effort. Both the engine and IP are huge in allowing time and money to be redirected elsewhere, but I'm not not putting either on a pedestal over the other. They're both incredibly important to the success of an RPG.

(And beyond that the weight of this IP also presumably contributed a lot to their EA success, which helped expand the scope in its own way.)

Reads like satire, honestly.
Reads like trolling designed to prompt people into insecurity about whether their fave is suddenly ~problematic~, honestly.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think you just described the entire FR setting.
It's painfully American at times, but that doesn't change how much sillier the end results would be if everything was just ad-hoc'd. Having access to everything doesn't automatically mean using everything, nevermind focusing on everything. But they have options, and likely have some license expand on aspects they want to be more evocative.

It's far from my favourite setting but that was never the point. The cost in time and money to build a fresh world with even half the legacy to draw upon was the point (or even expand an existing one to the same effect); it's a huge effort to make even a shody knock-off equivalent to Tolkien's work and sense of history that comes with such a sustained long-term effort. Both the engine and IP are huge in allowing time and money to be redirected elsewhere, but I'm not not putting either on a pedestal over the other. They're both incredibly important to the success of an RPG.

(And beyond that the weight of this IP also presumably contributed a lot to their EA success, which helped expand the scope in its own way.)

Reads like trolling designed to prompt people into insecurity about whether their fave is suddenly ~problematic~, honestly.

Non-shitposting response:

I do acknowledge and concede that Larian having such a huge (if tacky theme-parky) setting to riff off of is going to make their lives a lot easier on the development front. I wasn't trying to be dismissive of that argument. Ultimately BG3 is going to be the sum of its parts. Having an engine they are very comfortable with, an established setting (as you say) and a huge asset library is going to be hugely beneficial to any dev team.

Also, tends to be a common factor in these big hits.

HammyTheFat

Scholar
Trannyera is SEETHING.
I2y7Loh.png
Someone never visited that shithole, lol (probably for the best). The """people""" there are insane.
I've visited it for ~2 weeks, after they did a max exodus from NeoGAF to start that forum. Its libshit central, and bans are given away for rude jokes, but this exact post does seem like satire. Its too on the nose.
Could be Poe's law, of course. Used to be NeoGAF and early Resetera were primary sources for video game development, leaks, investigations. Haven't heard anything from them for years, so maybe its just weirdos safespace.
It's not.

You would think it is, but when every other post on that website reads exactly like this one it becomes less funny and more horror show.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

I hate that years of corporate bullshitting around trying to appear sincere has me second guessing to myself the actual sincerity of every post or message like this. :( In the context of another game's development that shit has had me wondering "hmm, can he cry on demand?".

If he's lying, he's fooled me. As a founder CEO, who crawled through publisher demands, to finally be able to make his dream game thanks to crowdfunding, and now get this AAA+ chance at D&D, I think he is genuine. This dorky goofiness during their streams is hard to fake, we've seen Ubisoft try and fail to much.

It's not.

You would think it is, but when every other post on that website reads exactly like this one it becomes less funny and more horror show.
Except I just told you few replies above that this is in fact a blatant fake (that was already debunked here days ago, by the way, but I guess at this point I should resign to the idea of seeing it reposted every now and then).

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
How is it that you are berating everyone of giving up gaming and doing something else with their life, but you at the same time, are still sperging out about video games for hours every day?
How is it everyone gets excited about increasingly shitty games each year and keep buying into the same bullshit marketing, hook line and sinker? And then they defend it like a pack of loyal dogs?
Take your own advice and do something productive with your life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom