Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kiste

Augur
Except I just told you few replies above that this is in fact a blatant fake (that was already debunked here days ago, by the way, but I guess at this point I should resign to the idea of seeing it reposted every now and then).
Can you actually PROVE that you are not a covert wokester and secret tranny?

HammyTheFat

Scholar
:philosoraptor:

Totally torn on whether to buy this game or not.

On one hand, I hate the amount of woke-ness that has seemingly infected Larian...

...on the other hand, it pales in comparison to western developers, who are also seemingly threatened by BG3's gameplay mechanics "setting a new industry standard".

As if you couldn't despise these people any more.

Lol...unbelievable

Ok, let’s not do revisionistic bullshit here, please. Larian was always woke. Divinity 2 had a quest where you had to change gender in order to complete a stage play quest. Dragon commander had a date sim built-in and etc.

Whether game is worth- just pirate it and buy later if you like it.

Dragon Commander?

The game where when the gay marriage comes up, before you even get to council room to make the decision the dwarf ambassador is talking about how they 'shot the bloody poofs a century ago'?

This is what you get for not siding with Yorrick for every single decision. SHAME ON YOU.

Elthosian

Arcane
Theodora I agree with you on indie developers rightfully not wanting to be compared with Larian. I think part of the reason that whole thing blew up is that we also got a Blizzard developer claiming that BG3 is an anomaly because they had almost a decade of game engine and mechanistic refinement leading up to this + an established IP. And that’s true, but motherfucking Blizzard also had an engine to build on and a best-selling IP with a more or less fleshed-out universe, and even if D4 is good, it’s not even half as ambitious as BG3. And let’s not get started with the Microsoft dude, oh boy.

More broadly, most if not all AAA developers have had the same perks as Larian to help drive their development processes forward, yet we still have to endure stuff like ME Andromeda or Fallout 4. Of course, Larian doesn’t have to answer to investors, which is half the reason they’ve been able to do this, but the recent buzz hasn’t been centered on that.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Meanwhile at Obsidian:

afbeelding.png

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Giving it some thought, I think I'll play as Astarion.
  • Probably the only way to be a vampire.
  • +1 to attack rolls from the blood drinking buff.
  • Bonus action from thief is great.
  • Pickpocket and lockpick are good on the one character you will always bring (the protagonist)
  • Expertise means he can be a good face for the party.
  • The leader can actually "lead" up front with stealth.
  • The leader can be self sufficient somewhat as a thief.
  • RP makes sense with Shadowheart and Froglady, whom I like.
  • Don't have to tolerate that weirdo sucking me while I sleep at camp.
  • Get to engage with his interesting quest without having to bring the weirdo around.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not.

You would think it is, but when every other post on that website reads exactly like this one it becomes less funny and more horror show.
Except I just told you few replies above that this is in fact a blatant fake (that was already debunked here days ago, by the way, but I guess at this point I should resign to the idea of seeing it reposted every now and then).
I have a working theory that the guys posting those fakes are in fact copying stuff from 4chan and being trendy by professing their disgust with Resetera, lest they out themselves as F5 junkies of 4chan. I.e. they don't really visit Resetera.

mondblut

Arcane
The payoff is that day/night cycles are and always were gay timewasters. Fuck your immersion, I have loot to sell.

Nah, the cycle itself is nice. Nights look cool and offer different gameplay opportunities. Like, uh, stealth or monsters who only come out in the dark. Traversing the same neighborhood in broad daylight and in the dead of the night should be pretty different experiences.

But convenience stores and quest dispensers should be open 24/7, and that's not up to discussion.

HammyTheFat

Scholar
It's not.

You would think it is, but when every other post on that website reads exactly like this one it becomes less funny and more horror show.
I have a working theory that the guys posting those fakes are in fact copying stuff from 4chan and being trendy by professing their disgust with Resetera, lest they out themselves as F5 junkies of 4chan. I.e. they don't really visit Resetera.
I did before I got banned after less than a dozen posts, which is why I assumed the post was real. Its exactly how 90% of the people who post there think and talk.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I tried to find proof of Tuco's crimes but only found this thread from a few days ago. It's probably just some anon fucking with inspect element because their general response seems positive or cautiously optimistic (notice how the thread is from yesterday but a guy already got banned)
It's really weird how many people are functionally oblivious to how easy it is to change any webpage to say whatever the fuck you want and assume anything absurd like that is true because "SJWs say the darnedest things".

VFvHAZn.png

I tried to find proof of Tuco's crimes but only found this thread from a few days ago. It's probably just some anon fucking with inspect element because their general response seems positive or cautiously optimistic (notice how the thread is from yesterday but a guy already got banned)
It's really weird how many people are functionally oblivious to how easy it is to change any webpage to say whatever the fuck you want and assume anything absurd like that is true because "SJWs say the darnedest things".

VFvHAZn.png
what do you mean? that image is not edited in any way

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
To those who played D:OS/2 in multiplayer - when you play multiplayer, one of the characters is still considered the "protagonist" for story purposes, right?

On a sidenote:
OMG, Swen, vulva type choice! This really must be his dream RPG.

To those who played D:OS/2 in multiplayer - when you play multiplayer, one of the characters is still considered the "protagonist" for story purposes, right?

On a sidenote:
Yes. If you're not the main character, you don't get to see what happens during dialogue. Your friend will have to share their screen if you want to know what's going on.

Also, innie.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Not the case in D:OS2. In fact, the co-op campaign ends with the various players fighting each other to determine who ascents into godhood, since there can only be one. The entire setup is that the various players each have their racial god backing them up, and they are rivals for the position.

Gargaune

Arcane
Now they are the face of the genre and they're there thanks to sticking to "old fashioned" stuff like turn based combat. So much for the progress that real time shit would've brought to the genre.
Hard to argue with these statements. Whether they have voiced it or not, I assume some devs are especially salty after in one way or another snubbing the "grognard" audience. Turns out they actually knew far better that audience than the one they were unsuccessfully trying to capture, and doing so on grognard KS money. They should be feeling... not a little silly now.

In any case it's hilarious listening to "the grapes are sour anyway", and "let's not set expectations that all grapes will be tasty" from people whose projects just couldn't do it, didn't know how to.

I'm the last person to praise D:OS/2 but it was obvious that there was a tech and a production pipeline being refined there for years.
It's a bit counterintuitive since, really, RPG developers should love TB making it back to the mainstream simply because it allows them to make "longer" games out of the same amount of content. Nevermind the average Codex automaton who disables animations and still whines Excel's quicker, your typical gamer will spend a lot more time in a TB game than in a RT or even RTwP one, so you need less bespoke content for that "60 hours of gameplay" mark.

I suspect this will be the case for BG3 as well, where the game will easily be as long as, say, BG2, despite having fewer levels and quests, and that many of these other devs, anxious over and jealous of Larian's success, are oblivious to this reality and just getting caught up in the marketing hype, same as rank-and-file customers. There seems to be a lot of anticipation getting built up for BG3 being "as big" as something like The Witcher 3, but with "even more" agency, dramatic reactivity and branching content, and I think a lot of the general public are grossly overestimating the scope of the content they're in for. Larian are making a big game across all their branches and loopbacks, to be sure, but a single playthrough isn't going to see as much content as most people imagine, rather it'll be more like a turn-based The Last of Us in scope.

or are you also complaining about the "toilet chain" system like the italian?
You must be new here.

AwesomeButton

Patron
It's a bit counterintuitive since, really, RPG developers should love TB making it back to the mainstream simply because it allows them to make "longer" games out of the same amount of content.
It's also easier to port to consoles.

Yes. If you're not the main character, you don't get to see what happens during dialogue. Your friend will have to share their screen if you want to know what's going on.

Also, innie.
I'll be playing one playthrough coop, and one multiplayer with buddies.

Innie for the win!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

On a sidenote:
The one initiating dialog in DOS2 is the only one that hears it, but if you mouse over the talking party member, ther is an ear icon. Click, and you will be able to see/hear what's going on.

VFvHAZn.png
what do you mean? that image is not edited in any way
c027c049ffeb3de8f7844f0e3cd0e1678dfeffa7.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom