Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
In fact, this is probably the most animated voiceless protag ever? (?)

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Jaheria: There's nothing in there honest xD but you can look anyway. Belm and some other loot from BG2.

Ok now this is epic.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I tried to submit the blushing mermaid bug to Larian, and they asked me to attach a savel file.

The file size limit is 20mb and the saves for the game is more than 30mb. So I can't even do that.

vota DC

Augur
I did a custom character but I noticed that pre made characters are the recruitable npc....you can use them and then talk with your own clone?

PbHtgzz.png

I refuse to be called a cuck by someone who looks like this.

In fact in italian cuck is cornuto and also means horned.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
2. Why does Larian hate portrait art so much? How can you look back at BG 1 and 2 and not see those portraits as a defining aesthetic contribution to the whole experience (even the BG2's were much worse than the first game's). Who looked at these still shots of the 3D models and thought "wow, that looks GREAT!"

It's because otherwise all the retards would've whined about not seeing their own unique (tiefling) snowflake on the avatar - and it's not exactly comparable to 1 & 2 since in this one the camera constantly zooms on the characters' faces during dialogue. I thought they looked pretty decent, considering.

What the painted vs 3-d icons shows is that 3-d modelling still has a ways to go to simulate the subtleties and intricacies and sheer variety of human faces. The reason painted icons are so great is because they can have really unique character, whereas with 3-d models, even if they have all the graphics aspects sorted (which they pretty much do now), there's still tons of nuance and possible variation missing in terms of different skull shapes overlaid by subtly different thicknesses and shapes of fascia and muscle and fat - resulting in a million varieties of characterful jowliness, square-jawedness, steely-eyedness, potato-headedness, etc., that can't be emulated yet. (Well, I tell a lie, TA have made a good fist of emulating potato-headedness with Solasta :) )

I'm sure it will be iterated to an equivalent level eventually (just as BG3's environments are now very close to the jewelline "miniature" beauty of the painted environments of, say, POE2). The simulation is getting better and better all the time, but it's still not quite there yet.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Loving this game so far, but I'm also a hedonistic bisexual in real life, so I enjoy the over the top romancing as every true connoisseur of regular sex would. Easy an 8.5/10, which puts it on a high pedestal in modern CRPG-Gaming. I have no doubt this will be also Codex GOTY. I have some gripes that are mirrored in this thread thoroughly (camera, pathfinding, minor jankiness in certain areas, inventory) but they are only nitpicks in comparison to the huge swaths of gameplay I tremendously enjoy. The writing is also tiers above PoE or Pathfinder. I don't remember the last time I had to chuckle while listening to an CRPG conversation. But this happens to me in BG3.

One great area, that doesn't get enough praise as of now is the soundscape and overall sound design. This is on the same prestigious level as say Warhammer: Total War. The environmental sounds are very nuanced and versatile, from echoes in huge caves to the chanting in the grove, that gets more intense the further you approach the ritual. You can hear the gnolls cackling before you see them, bees buzzing around their hives and so much more. It's great when you pay attention and not alt-tab out of the game every five minutes to write "THEY HAVE PENIS SLIDER I'M SO OFFENDED" in this thread.

Anyway, gonna fuck off to have me some more companion seggs.

Last edited:

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
whats up with those preset faces? Even Cyberpunk allowed for more customization freedom. If you want to play as a white guy there's only white guy face and that's it.

Most faces are darn ugly so the white CRPG playing demographic is represented just fine. Also most eastern european men look just like albino niggas, so it's also fitting.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
About Minsc, Larian is pretty lazy with his first appearence.
Minsc was tricked by a shapeshifter pretending to be Jaheira, but even if you bring Jaheira with you, he won't say anything special, still talks about he shoud kill you because Jaheira says so.

Also he shows up so god damn late in the game you might as well not counting him as a companion.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think you just know the system too well. For me, Tactician feels just right, had to reload the harpy fight after a TPK despite silencing them they had a couple of lucky rolls and that was i

Yeah, tactician is really hard for me. It's all pretty fair in early game until you reach gityanki and one chick there kills your whole squad in one turn attacking you six time with big two handed sword. Even on medium this is very tough fight i managed to beat only because i got lucky with Gale thunderwave that sent two archers into chasm and my main assasin type had drow poison coated blade that got shemonster and shadowheart blinded other one so he couldn't wake shemonster up. Once she monster was alone it was easy fight.

This fight thought me that AI also is pretty great. When I approached stealthy fight first taking out shemonster and dude with drow poison, archers just said nah and one dude came to them and woke them up with unarmed strikes like nothing.

Still in Act 1, but there are some proper difficulty spikes on Tactician if you're a couple of levels below the mobs - the "Tyr Paladins" fight in the tollhouse and the Githyanki fight you're talking about here are two of them. The phase spider cave also. Anders in the tollhouse is also a total beast and makes you realize how terrifying your own Paladin must be to the mobs :) Even the harpies on the beach are a minor early difficulty spike.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You have to play a game to be able to judge it on its own merits.

BG 3 does a lot good and also a lot bad. You can say that a game has some good points if those exist, and the same for what it does badly (I actually think music is top notch/but zoomer-level cringe writing at some points)

It's hilarious how fanboyism and internet vitriol has made it impossible to discuss something like RPGs, on a RPG forum.
Just ignore retards, some people come to the codex just to be in constant butthurt mode and spamming in threads about games they don't like because of some political agenda they have.

Woman having an important role in a fantasy game? They want to make us cucks!

Black person as a recruitable character? Clearly want us all to accept illegal immigrants!

Can select wrong genitalia in character creation? They want to make us gay!

It's SJW in reverse - just as retarded and annoying, but it seems some people can't just have fun or ignore and play something else if they don't like it. They have to be in constant butthurt mode about everything that doesn't please them.

If they saw somebody on the street eating shit, they would join, only to complain later how could somebody eat that shit.

But many of them would secretly enjoy it.

There are such people, but I'm someone who has more or less the same harsh opinions about the degeneracy, yet I'm also able to parse what's good about the game without any problem - there are a few of us here like that too; the "hold your nose and get on with it" brigade :)

Renfri

Cipher
There are quite few cutscenes that you'd expect many companies not bothering making. But some of those one line npc are just lame, why did they bother when there are many in game who say one liners without cutscenes.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The both sides argument is really just cope from people who desperatly cannot live without their bread and circuses vydia.

"It's... it's ok the game is peddling the most insane form of gender is a social constuct bullshit right in the character creation. Stop complaining! You are ruining my hype".

Apparently, i just learned there's a troon in a circus you meet in the game. I have a feeling once the hype dies down the retrospective on the woke shit they shoved into this thing is going to be amazing.

Another thing that just dawned me: none of the story NPCs belong to the shorter races. No dwarves, and no gnomes. Is it because it would look silly to have sex with a midget? I guess the ONLY reason origin companions exist is for you to fuck them.

[EDIT] Minor bit of extra wokeness i just noticed. The default look for humans, both males and females, is always a black person.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
The both sides argument is really just cope from people who desperatly cannot live without their bread and circuses vydia.

"It's... it's ok the game is peddling the most insane form of gender is a social constuct bullshit right in the character creation. Stop complaining! You are ruining my hype".

Apparently, i just learned there's a troon in a circus you meet in the game. I have a feeling once the hype dies down the retrospective on the woke shit they shoved into this thing is going to be amazing.

Another thing that just dawned me: none of the story NPCs belong to the shorter races. No dwarves, and no gnomes. Is it because it would look silly to have sex with a midget? I guess the ONLY reason origin companions exist is for you to fuck them.

[EDIT] Minor bit of extra wokeness i just noticed. The default look for humans, both males and females, is always a black person.
"Troon in.... a circus"

Based?

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
There are such people, but I'm someone who has more or less the same harsh opinions about the degeneracy, yet I'm also able to parse what's good about the game without any problem - there are a few of us here like that too; the "hold your nose and get on with it" brigade :)
I have the same harsh opinions on the degeneracy, but I'm willing to let quite a bit slide:
  • Character creator dick selection I can get over because the default assigns the correct genitals. I'm more annoyed with the complete erasure of 'male' and 'female' elsewhere. e.g. 'voice 1' and 'voice 2' instead of 'male voice 1' and 'female voice 1'.
  • The first thing the game outright asks you, is if you want to see genitals. Anyone being outraged by genitals is just posturing/framing a narrative.
  • The game is overly horney, but I saw most outcomes of choices (I've experienced so far) from a mile away. People are exaggerating about being baited.
  • The 'other' pronounce selection is implemented as superficial as possible.
  • The gay/tranny characters aren't shoved in our faces like WoTR. I swear to god if there's one WoTR character that I wish I could chuck of the ledge in the abyss, it's that tranny that keeps talking about how great her wife is every god damn line.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Apparently, i just learned there's a troon in a circus you meet in the game.

Where would you prefer to meet a drag queen if not in a circus?

Serisously is your shtick not getting boring fast? The last two days you did nothing but scan this thread for hints of SJWisms that you then would blow out of proportions and moan about it endlessly. Have you nothing worthwile to do with your life instead? It's a little bit sad watching.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
PbHtgzz.png

I refuse to be called a cuck by someone who looks like this.
So characters in this game look like californian faggot pedophile cosplayers instead of plausible fantasy races.
What is a plausible fantasy race and how do they look? Tieflings in BG3 come in all shapes and forms. From old to gnarly to handsome to chad like. Granted, many codexers feel intimidated by chad NPCs in video game and react aggressively.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom