Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know. It's 2023 and lad here is still mad about what happened to D&D 2000 onwards.
Eh. You're posting in a thread about Baldur's Gate and mad that someone likes BG1&2 better than 3. It's pretty on-topic.
Well one can't deny the truth. It is an overall better game.
I love BG3 so far but there are still things the originals, especially BG2, do better. Less sprawling questlines makes the narrative feel more focused in BG2, the companions are overall more likeable even if there's less depth to them and I prefer how Irenicus was handled to how they're writing the villains in this one (although I'll wait until Act 3 for the final verdict on the last part as I'm only on Act 2 now). BG3 is a lot more polished and there's a lot more to do but there's plenty to love about the OGs as well and I wouldn't say this is straight up a better game.
Not finished the game, but with all the issues and things I dislike with it, BG 1&2 feels like the better game. Less sex stuff, a better-compacted story, and honestly, a better sense of adventure. And the setting feels more "medieval" and less DOS-like. One thing that I felt through all of BG3 is a sense of meandering. You do get semi-clear objectives, but I don't think it's fully clear who you are and why you are doing this shit. I'm over 60 hours into the game now, and I still question what made me the group leader. It's also way too epic, which is territory BG2 also walz into, but here it's way over the top. Devils, cosmic horror, and gods in direct intervention, you will get it all! What BG3 has going for it is the massive ways to solve quests, and C&C to a part. There are parts that are not recognized by the group, however, while some minor stuff is commented on.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
JFe32ge.png

Casuals get rekt.

Yeah because you like shit. I like monocled things.

What does that even mean?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codexers look at sixty dollar price tag for kotc2: lol pogz…miss me wit dat shieeet muthafugga

Codexers look at bg3: thank you daddy I will spend 150 on double deluxe edition for my cuck mindflayer bestiality fantasies

4yuGVGr.png

Ouch.

I'm pretty sure KotC2 is a passion project and has its moments but to put that even in a competition with a behemoth like BG3 ... retarded.
It's the best D&D CRPG ever made, the most complete implementation of the 3.5 ruleset ever put to the computer. It has grapple attacks, disarming attacks, trip attacks, shove and push and pull, your fighters actually become utility characters who can do more than just attack. Systems-wise it is the PERFECT tabletop D&D 3.5 simulator.

The campaign is so hardcore it will filter 90% of players though. To be fair, especially later fights can become too much about winning initiative and nuking the enemy before they nuke you, but the whole second level of the dungeon was the most intense and tight dungeon crawling experience I ever had.

This game is worth every penny. It's a masterpiece of game design. For hardcore CRPG players, this is leagues above the casual-friendly BG3.

KotC2 is a grognard's game.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Rolling a new character, want to try multi classing a fighter wizard. Well just a fighter dip. Do you think 1 or 2 dip in fighter is better? Is level 6 spells or action surge better?

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Oh so fucking bears and trannies being in character creation is something you like?

It's not my humor, but I also don't get my pearls clutched because of it.

I rarely think of this when playing the game. I'm more engaged in questing, fighting, exploring and managing that godamn inventory.

HammyTheFat

Scholar
Look at how hard the culture warrior losers are coping and screeching about BG3. Amazing
why? you can kill everyone you think is a degenerate and the only tranny is (allegedly, havent gotten to act 3 yet) in the circus.

the only quibble I had was the character creator scene and I spent all of 5 seconds picking gender.

WHAT ELSE CAN SVEN DO TO SHOW YOU HE CARES?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Oh so fucking bears and trannies being in character creation is something you like?

It's not my humor, but I also don't get my pearls clutched because of it.

I rarely think of this when playing the game. I'm more engaged in questing, fighting, exploring and managing that godamn inventory.

We can tell that you rarely think in the choices of games you play. You bought a game with trannies, degeneracy, and social decline. That says a lot more about you than it does me.

Lemming42

Arcane
My motivation to play has slowed to such a crawl that I'm still hanging around near the start of act 3, a few days after getting there. Probably my fault for playing so hard that I put about 60 hours in in four days, lol. 60 very enjoyable hours though.

I didn't like the brothel when you get past the first gate guards btw. First time in the game where I actually felt like an ideology was being forced on me by the writers, given that all your dialogue options are "I love this place! Sex work is real work! Prostitution is great! There is no such thing as exploitation of women!". Also lol @ half the brothel patrons being female, modern (presumably male) game writers love doing that even though it simply bears no resemblance to reality and is actually harder to believe than the existence of dragons and shit.

I decided to attack the proprietor anyway to make up for it. [INTIMIDATION] check deals with the guards, muahahaha.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Codexers look at sixty dollar price tag for kotc2: lol pogz…miss me wit dat shieeet muthafugga

Codexers look at bg3: thank you daddy I will spend 150 on double deluxe edition for my cuck mindflayer bestiality fantasies

4yuGVGr.png

Ouch.

I'm pretty sure KotC2 is a passion project and has its moments but to put that even in a competition with a behemoth like BG3 ... retarded.
It's the best D&D CRPG ever made, the most complete implementation of the 3.5 ruleset ever put to the computer. It has grapple attacks, disarming attacks, trip attacks, shove and push and pull, your fighters actually become utility characters who can do more than just attack. Systems-wise it is the PERFECT tabletop D&D 3.5 simulator.

The campaign is so hardcore it will filter 90% of players though. To be fair, especially later fights can become too much about winning initiative and nuking the enemy before they nuke you, but the whole second level of the dungeon was the most intense and tight dungeon crawling experience I ever had.

This game is worth every penny. It's a masterpiece of game design. For hardcore CRPG players, this is leagues above the casual-friendly BG3.

Sorry, I just learned D&D 3.5 is shit. By a person much more older and wiser than you.

Self-Ejected
People fail to realize the old games were actually watered down by mature content by design. But the setting is not. They cry about degeneracy, but they show ignorance. Larian did only the sensitive thing by implementing a game with the content, as the old creator of the setting meant. Is it just that Interplay and Bioware at the time were pretty selective with the content in order to deliver a teen-friendly experience? So yes, when you complain about degeneracy, you clearly have no clue what there is and was in Forgotten Realms or D&D, and you are projecting your own false perception of how it was.

The game is pretty good; it has more choice, consequences, and character agency than any RPG could only dream about. It looks pretty and plays well; the only complaint I have is the UI. But you can get used to it once you learn how it works.
Also again why are you here?
We get it you don't like the game but no ammount of whining, crying and pointing finger will make us like less the game. All you will obtain is being laughting stock.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
People fail to realize the old games were actually watered down by mature content by design. But the setting is not. They cry about degeneracy, but they show ignorance. Larian did only the sensitive thing by implementing a game with the content, as the old creator of the setting meant. Is it just that Interplay and Bioware at the time were pretty selective with the content in order to deliver a teen-friendly experience? So yes, when you complain about degeneracy, you clearly have no clue what there is and was in Forgotten Realms or D&D, and you are projecting your own false perception of how it was.

The game is pretty good; it has more choice, consequences, and character agency than any RPG could only dream about. It looks pretty and plays well; the only complaint I have is the UI. But you can get used to it once you learn how it works.
We get it you don't like the game but no ammount of whining, crying and pointing finger will make us like less the game. All you will obtain is being laughting stock.

Wtf are you talking about? D&D is what you make it. There is no inherent degeneracy in the lore. In fact if you think about it, wouldn't some of these Gods and their clerics and paladins be against degeneracy and fags and trans. Or that doesn't fit your head cannon faggot?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

4yuGVGr.png

Ouch.

It is probably the best, yet a lot people who complain about BG3 didn't get KotC2. We are a only few Codexers who got it. Don't tell me otherwise. Most of the posters here didn't give a crap about it. I can't take people seriously (some, I can) when they get in here, and complain, but when there is actually incline, they look the other way.

Many who criticize the game are correct. The globohomo agenda is bad. I have seen it in character creation, and in companion discussion, but you can quickly shut that down. This is unfortunate. Is D&D 5E bad? I would say so.

Yet, this game still manages to be fun. There are fun combat encounters, a lot of exploration is fun, but not all of it. I think there will be decent build options, even if I am just going pure class for all my characters. Itemization is so-so, better than previous Larian games. Unique items mean something. They removed the attunement system. Camera has gotten worse than in the Original Sin games. For me, it's a solid 8/10 game.

I respect people who don't want to buy the game because of their views, but the gameplay itself is decent.

With that said, I hope to see more people playing Knights of the Chalice II modules in the future, or shut up. At least I put my money where my mouth is:
Abu Antar
28-May-2020​
$205.00​

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Sorry, I just learned D&D 3.5 is shit. By a person much more older and wiser than you.

JarlFrank is well aware of my stance on DANDINO 3.x. He and I have been friends for almost a decade now. I ride him all the time about his love of that game. He accepts that it's not real D&D. He is currently playing my Real AD&D™ game and loving it.

:smug:

Self-Ejected

Wtf are you talking about? D&D is what you make it. There is no inherent degeneracy in the lore. In fact if you think about it, wouldn't some of these Gods and their clerics and paladins be against degeneracy and fags and trans. Or that doesn't fit your head cannon faggot?
Haem no.

"As to sexual attitudes in the Realms, there is indeed local prejudice against individuals who have “different” or “unusual” sexuality—bigotry and a dislike of change and “what’s not usual” is everywhere and is (unfortunately) part of being human.
Specific religions often invoke temporary abstinence as punishments for transgressions against the creed of the faith, but other matters sexual are usually ignored in doctrine, rather than policed by doctrine (consecration or baptism of willing, old-enough-to-choose offspring being an important exception; this is urged and promoted by almost all Faerûnian faiths).
Yet in a polytheistic setting in which everyone “believes in” and worships (in some fashion, even if it’s only “Here’s a prayer, now please don’t bother me today”) ALL of the gods, clergy avoid endorsing discrimination against someone because of sex. Which doesn’t mean they won’t severely speak to someone they think does something inappropriate, like trying to fornicate with grieving individuals at a funeral, or anyone forcing their attentions on someone except a recipient receiving such attentions as part of a ritual to Loviatar or Sharess or Sune or Shiallia the recipient has agreed beforehand to take part in, and knows what this will mean [[in other words, self-chosen submission is acceptable, but being on the receiving end of forced and unwanted sex is not]].
Shiallia wants all creatures to reproduce and multiply, which means fertile females should engage in sex with partners of their choice, regardless of their marital state (and all devout worshippers of the goddess should help in the feeding and rearing of said offspring); it does NOT mean those fertile females have to accept the advances of every passing creature.
In general, “anything goes” in the wilderness, the settled status quo is most valued (and adhered to) in small villages and towns, and as places get larger and have more contact with the wider Realms (market towns, being on caravan routes), the more tolerant and varied sexuality can be found and is tolerated/ignored. Bisexual characters exist in the Realms and always have done, as have “out” homosexual characters, May/December partnerships, polygamy, and just about everything else.

Yet matters sexual are seldom the “big deal” in the Realms that it is in any real-world area dominated by one faith, where clerics of that faith presume to tell others “how to behave.” The polytheistic nature of the Realms is one reason for this, and another is the D&D® game itself, that with its array of sentient races, presents what some would call “bestiality” or other terms for “coupling with other races” as a fait accompli (otherwise, there would be no “half-elves” or “half-orcs”).

Yes, this has all been discussed before, but that’s okay. The computerized search-fu in the Keep is frail, but the minds of its scribes are sharp, quick, and apt to dredge up old lines from older scrolls when the need arises.
The beauty of fantasy roleplaying, and the Realms, is that anyone playing in it can include or leave out or ignore or gloss over what they want to or are most comfortable with. The darkness creeps in when one player or group tries to impose their preferences on everyone else.

Some festhalls, brothels, and clubs signal whom or what they cater to, but most don’t; locals just “know” (and tavernmasters and innkeepers will discreetly answer queries as to “where to go” without misleading or reacting with hostility to such questions; correctly guiding guests without making judgments is just part of their livelihood). Carved signboards are the most common advertisement (depicting entwined, kissing couples or triads or quartets, usually in no more detail than heads, arms, shoulders, and bared breasts, with the participants indicating what “goes” inside: for example, two men together, or a lizard man and a human female, with a free hand raised to hold a glass if it’s also a drinking club, or holding a hand of cards or a platter of food to indicate a gambling establishment or that food is served, and so on)."

Ed Greenwood.

Hagashager

Educated
I'm surpeised at how hung up the "sex with a bear" "sex with a mind flayer" you all are.

5E is a big gay power fantasy. "Can I fuck it" is a tagline of the game. It's also not as though sex in "muh DnD" is anything new- see the Book of Erotic Fantasy for 3e.

Is it degenerate? Yeah. Is it "problematic"? It's certainly going to be when our societal concept of consent starts changing again in a few years. Do I like it? No. God forbid there be some fucking friendships in modern storytelling.

That all said, you know what you're getting in 5e. You have no one to blame but yourselves for buying it. As another poster said, "stop complaining about eating shit if you're going to buy shit."

Kiste

Augur
(KotC2)

To be fair, especially later fights can become too much about winning initiative and nuking the enemy before they nuke you

[...]

It's a masterpiece of game design.

These statements aren't exactly compatible, are they? "Win the initiative roll or fucking die" doesn't sound like brilliant game design.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played KotC2 on release, and it was a mess. Maybe it's better now, I don't know, but more complicated rules don't make up for a sadistic joke of a campaign. PS: fighters get to do a lot of fun stuff in BG3.

Takamori

Learned
Regarding the current discussion regarding incline and decline quality. Its expected that people start moving from grognards if you guys make a constant purity test.
The absurds of oh I played for 300 hours and I hated this game. Either you have a masochist tendency and I highly recommend a BDSM dungeon to deal with that shit or you guys are in constant need of cool credit. But either way if you want all you will have none, not telling to suck cocks like a good little consumer but you need to recognize people that at least try to step into incline even if they commit "declines" per say.

As I questioned Drakortha that got flushed from the thread, you as a manager and owner of the company. Why deal with spiteful consumer that no matter what you do he will buy your product complain your ass to oblivion and say everything is shit when there is another option of consumer where its much docile and well with priorities in stuff that are mostly non issues that can be addressed easily and almost cost free?

Jaunty

Literate

Haem no.

"As to sexual attitudes in the Realms, there is indeed local prejudice against individuals who have “different” or “unusual” sexuality—bigotry and a dislike of change and “what’s not usual” is everywhere and is (unfortunately) part of being human.
Specific religions often invoke temporary abstinence as punishments for transgressions against the creed of the faith, but other matters sexual are usually ignored in doctrine, rather than policed by doctrine (consecration or baptism of willing, old-enough-to-choose offspring being an important exception; this is urged and promoted by almost all Faerûnian faiths).
Yet in a polytheistic setting in which everyone “believes in” and worships (in some fashion, even if it’s only “Here’s a prayer, now please don’t bother me today”) ALL of the gods, clergy avoid endorsing discrimination against someone because of sex. Which doesn’t mean they won’t severely speak to someone they think does something inappropriate, like trying to fornicate with grieving individuals at a funeral, or anyone forcing their attentions on someone except a recipient receiving such attentions as part of a ritual to Loviatar or Sharess or Sune or Shiallia the recipient has agreed beforehand to take part in, and knows what this will mean [[in other words, self-chosen submission is acceptable, but being on the receiving end of forced and unwanted sex is not]]."
Ed Greenwood.
Ed Greenwood is a degenerate, and the Forgotten Realms is his magical realm, but that doesn't mean all of DnD is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom