Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
The better alternative would've been to weave a rich history of how these different cultures existed and struggled against each other, generating a world that is similar to our own and much more interesting for it.

Leave real politics out of my fantasy it's escapism you woketard vs. fantasy should depict the real life struggles but only according to my political beliefs.

Which way western man?

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
We gonna hit a new all time high on steam today boyos!

https://steamdb.info/app/1086940/charts/

The people love my game!

afbeelding.png

Larianchads just keep on winning!
Game designed for journos, normies and romohomos is a success with journos, normies and romohomos. :o

Self-Ejected
What you never saw is something like a female general
English national heroine Boudica want's a word with you.

Lmao, the fucking pathetic cope. And the fact you LITERALLY think women could be generals. Imagine actually believing this retardation.
Despite your mindset this is not the place to discuss such matters.

I expect this derail will be pruned all though for a game like this discussions of this kind are inevitable. Don't forget, we didn't bring the woke into it, the devs did.

If this game had the same level of "wokeness" as BG1, which is to say, not much, the reaction would have been unanimously positive here despite the mid writing and other flaws the game may have.
Nah i stopped to argue with the "Easily offended".

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The way the discussion about the "new standard" is framed is utterly disgusting but not the least surprising. Most articles have something like "developers are concerned" in the title, as though the possibility of higher quality releases is actually a legitimate concern. According to them, the problem is "oh so high player expectations". Each time anyone starts exposing those fraudsters (EA, ActiBlizz and the like), we hear the same old tune in response.

This shitshow has been going on for decades. I've always said that there's no other industry where a company could be able to behave like they do in the VG business and get away with it. But here it's a not about a specific company - all major developers and publishers are guilty. Almost every so-called "triple-A" game is in fact a scam-grade product because it's either a bug-ridden train wreck at release or an unplayable console port (or both). And if it doesn't sell well so they can't milk the playerbase via DLCs and micro-transactions, they won't patch it. It's not enough that you pay for the dubious privilege of being an alpha tester of the "release version", you must effectively pay even more for patches that may or may not actually fix bugs.

It's literally a crime but there's no way to convince the public it's a crime. For every word of yours there will be a five hundred words essay from yet another paid shill explaining that this sorry state of events is fine, that the hype is to blame, and that the solution is lower customer "expectations" instead of multi-billion fines that would financially beat a little sense into the most shameless thieves among this hopelessly crooked bunch.

Larian refused to play by their rules. The reaction of the industry is the same as it's always has been: metric tons of lies and deflection that comes precariously close to intimidation.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is a good feeling when I am one of the heroic 4% who gave BG3 a negative review.

Just thinking about the story. It is worse than SoD.
What is the story?
Also are there any other companions in the game in addition to these 6 origin characters?! Wasn't Minsc supposed to be companion?

Also that Dark Urge thing, how does that work? Is that Bhaalspawn connected?

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
This is a reddit talking point. Only they cared about "microtransactions or DLC spamming" because they play those kinds of games and they aren't CRPGS maybe WoTR comes dangerously close to being considered DLC spammers but aside from that.

You're saying there is something admirable for Larian not playing by the rules of other +AAA when in fact they did? Look at the story (all morality in the game is filtered through a lens of cultural Marxism) and unfinished Act 3 is just silly it is very rough and the cutscenes take a massive nosedive in quality. DoS2 and BG3 were made with the express intent that the majority of players will just fuck around in act 1 with multiplayer for a while and then move on to next product.

Good on Larian for not doing DLC but that doesn't excuse all the other horrible things they've done with BG3. Every single part of the story or the things characters say or do is wrong an my character that I play cannot respond in a proper way all of his responses are wrong. You're forced to murderhobo with no dialogue to represent yourself? Great.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
What is the story?
Also are there any other companions in the game in addition to these 6 origin characters?! Wasn't Minsc supposed to be companion?

Dark urge is pretty well made. But you have to follow the urge if you resist it you basically don't have any story. When it tells you to kill the Cleric you should do it and just lie about it..

Massive spoilers You are a Bhaalspawn and were a chosen of Bhaal you made the entire absolute plot along with the other 3 chosen. Sarevok's incest baby grand daughter that he had with his real daughter cut your head open and put a tadpole in and dumped you in a flesh pit to usurp your position. You get Jaheria at the end of act 2 and Minsc halfway through act 3 they have nice interactions. They will instantly leave the party if you become Bhaals chosen and ambush you with a Harper killsquad. You also get a drow or gay bear druid.

Hope that answers most your questions.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What is the story?

Dark urge is pretty well made. But you have to follow the urge if you resist it you basically don't have any story. When it tells you to kill the Cleric you should do it and just lie about it..

Massive spoilers You are a Bhaalspawn and were a chosen of Bhaal you made the entire absolute plot along with the other 3 chosen. Sarevok's incest baby grand daughter that he had with his real daughter cut your head open and put a tadpole in and dumped you in a flesh pit to usurp your position. You get Jaheria at the end of act 2 and Minsc halfway through act 3 they have nice interactions. They will instantly leave the party if you become Bhaals chosen and ambush you with a Harper killsquad. You also get a drow or gay bear druid.

Hope that answers most your questions.
No, now I am even more confused. So who is that Illithid? And who is the main villain?
So there are only 4 companions in addition to 6 origin characters?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
This is a reddit talking point. Only they cared about "microtransactions or DLC spamming" because they play those kinds of games and they aren't CRPGS maybe WoTR comes dangerously close to being considered DLC spammers but aside from that.

You're saying there is something admirable for Larian not playing by the rules of other +AAA when in fact they did? Look at the story (all morality in the game is filtered through a lens of cultural Marxism) and unfinished Act 3 is just silly it is very rough and the cutscenes take a massive nosedive in quality. DoS2 and BG3 were made with the express intent that the majority of players will just fuck around in act 1 with multiplayer for a while and then move on to next product.

Good on Larian for not doing DLC but that doesn't excuse all the other horrible things they've done with BG3. Every single part of the story or the things characters say or do is wrong an my character that I play cannot respond in a proper way all of his responses are wrong. You're forced to murderhobo with no dialogue to represent yourself? Great.

He's not wrong though. Look at the latest live service games released like CoD and Battlefield. The moment player population dropped and in game transactions slowed they dropped all support for the products. A very egregious example is the FIFA game put out by EA. No mechanical changes year after year. The only change is the loot boxes and the players.

Jaunty

Literate
The way the discussion about the "new standard" is framed is utterly disgusting but not the least surprising. Most articles have something like "developers are concerned" in the title, as though the possibility of higher quality releases is actually a legitimate concern. According to them, the problem is "oh so high player expectations". Each time anyone starts exposing those fraudsters (EA, ActiBlizz and the like), we hear the same old tune in response.

This shitshow has been going on for decades. I've always said that there's no other industry where a company could be able to behave like they do in the VG business and get away with it. But here it's a not about a specific company - all major developers and publishers are guilty. Almost every so-called "triple-A" game is in fact a scam-grade product because it's either a bug-ridden train wreck at release or an unplayable console port (or both). And if it doesn't sell well so they can't milk the playerbase via DLCs and micro-transactions, they won't patch it. It's not enough that you pay for the dubious privilege of being an alpha tester of the "release version", you must effectively pay even more for patches that may or may not actually fix bugs.

It's literally a crime but there's no way to convince the public it's a crime. For every word of yours there will be a five hundred words essay from yet another paid shill explaining that this sorry state of events is fine, that the hype is to blame, and that the solution is lower customer "expectations" instead of multi-billion fines that would financially beat a little sense into the most shameless thieves among this hopelessly crooked bunch.

Larian refused to play by their rules. The reaction of the industry is the same as it's always has been: metric tons of lies and deflection that comes precariously closes to intimidation.
You do realize BG3 spent 3 years in early access (while selling at full price, natch) and still launched with game-breaking bugs, right?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Having diverse populations in a medieval fantasy world (even if there are wizards and teleporting) is poor world building without explanation.

Instead they just pretend that the diversity existed all along and is the natural state of things. The better alternative would've been to weave a rich history of how these different cultures existed and struggled against each other, generating a world that is similar to our own and much more interesting for it.

But instead muh riGHt siDe of HisTorY. Modern writers are brainlets.
Yep, it makes no sense. It was a major problem in the Witcher 3 TV show too. No explanation or anything, you are just to accept that more than half the population are blacks and asians. If BG3 ever gets an expansion in a more "exotic" part of the world, you can bet your dollars that it will have the correct "representation".

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
regem in Latin.
rex - Masculine, 3rd (declension)

Oh my.

Codex was actually not exaggerating with all the dudes wanting to homofuck you.

Turns out Dragon Age 2 Anders was the good old days.
I'm playing for 50 hours, have done 3 long rests so far - 4 if you count the one in which you meet a certain famous wizard - and I've spoken to all the party members with zero interest shown by any one of them in buttfucking me.

I've talked with Wyll about his father, his patron, etc. I've talked with Gale about his weave addiction and about Mystra. Gale asked to show me magic once, I told him some other time. Laezel told me, and that was on the first long rest, that she wants to lick the enemies blood off my body, but I told her I don't see her that way. Since then her opinion of me has become very high but she hasn't pestered me at all. The others - Wyll, Gale, Shadowheart all have opinion of me around the middle of the scale.

So guys, I don't know what you do and how often you do long rests and what you talk to these companion NPCs, but I can't reporduce the issue :lol:

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The better alternative would've been to weave a rich history of how these different cultures existed and struggled against each other, generating a world that is similar to our own and much more interesting for it.

Leave real politics out of my fantasy it's escapism you woketard vs. fantasy should depict the real life struggles but only according to my political beliefs.

Which way western man?

Fantasy worldbuilding ≠ modern real world politics

Take for example a Song of Ice and Fire. The majority of people in Westeros were worried about being mass murdered by marauding armies, not about whether or not they should have diverse representation in their media.

Mortmal

Arcane

Larian refused to play by their rules. The reaction of the industry is the same as it's always has been: metric tons of lies and deflection that comes precariously closes to intimidation.
You do realize BG3 spent 3 years in early access (while selling at full price, natch) and still launched with game-breaking bugs, right?
Indeed and i cant finish it still, no fix, no answer by mail from Larian.

Which way western man?

Fantasy worldbuilding ≠ modern real world politics

Take for example a Song of Ice and Fire. The majority of people in Westeros were worried about being mass murdered by marauding armies, not about whether or not they should have diverse representation in their media.
It's kinda dumb to bring ASOIAF as an example of fantasy void of modern politics, when the whole thing is an allegory to the Cold War, the climate change idea, a fear of nuclear weapons and nuclear winter, world banks being behind and kinda controlling world politics, the issue of immigration, the mistreating of natives, and with politicians that behave pretty much like any modern politician would.

Moorcock wrote fantasy for leftists: their monarchs are corrupt, degenerate, and drug addicts. Physically and mentally weak. Tolkien was mostly making a version of his own WW1 experiences and also lots of anti-industrialism and environmentalism. There's always something there, they're all 20th century people after all.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
No, now I am even more confused. So who is that Illithid? And who is the main villain?
So there are only 4 companions in addition to 6 origin characters?
6R1tcBd.jpg

You get all of these as your camp henchmen + our friends from BG2 and either a choice of a Drow paladin or a Druid. Anyone you don't choose is in the game. Get ready for silliness though.

The reason you aren't under the control of the elder brain is because Baldur as in the hero Baldur is a mind flayer his dragon friend broke him free of mindflayer control Shadowheart has an artifact that Baldur can use to disrupt the tadpole in your brain so you do not transform or become a thrall of the elder brain. This artifact is powered by Zerthimons son or something, he's a super powerful badass who is kept in stasis. The evil three have champions that are using the elder brain to do some generic bad guy shit just kill and control everyone. They are doing this with a powerful netherese artifact are you a bad enough dude to kill them and take their control gems and destroy the elder brain?

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I do realize that D:OS2 last gift bags and patches happened two years after release.

Likewise, I was very skeptical about Kingmaker but Owlcat proved me wrong. They did care and they fixed the whole thing. For contrast, Tides of Numenera was a letdown not because of cut content per se, but because inXile didn't care to make amends. Releasing a buggy or unfinished game is bad. Abandoning the players is much, much worse.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I do realize that D:OS2 last gift bags and patches happened two years after release.

Likewise, I was very skeptical about Kingmaker but Owlcat proved me wrong. They did care and they fixed the whole thing. For contrast, Tides of Numenera was a letdown not because of cut content per se, but because inXile didn't care to make amends. Releasing a buggy or unfinished is bad. Abandoning the players is much, much worse.

The moral of the story is never pre-order and never buy new. If the company has to issue a 10+ GB day one patch the game is pure shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom