Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Hmm...

Act 1 was a polished top quality product. Silly opening aside.

But now in act 2 I encounter more and more bugs, like characters referencing events that did not happen yet.

I'm having DA2 flashback where elf chick cried about killing her whole village before we even visited it.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I'll ask in this thread also: can someone point out what's so funny about this game? Anything?. It has to be at least as funny as Edwin getting the nether scrolls in BG2.

Or just moderately funny. That low hanging fruit of the character getting thrown off the windmill doesn't count. THat's a standard joke thats been around for decades. Saw it first in a Garfield comic in the 90s.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Hmm...

But now in act 2 I encounter more and more bugs, like characters referencing events that did not happen yet.

I'm having DA2 flashback where elf chick cried about killing her whole village before we even visited it.

Bought the game or pirated the V 1.0?

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Hmm...

I bought the game with DU's money,

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hmm...

Act 3 has been buggy as fuck for me (legit copy)

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Hmm...

Act 3 has been buggy as fuck for me (legit copy)

Yeah, I was afraid that would be the case given Act 3 is bascially one huge city. Hoping they'll patch it up in time.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Hmm...

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
After all this degenerate talk, lets move on to more important topics.

How is camera and controls on pc? (That was actually really good with Dragon Age: Origins)
How are mage battles? (In BG2 you have to control your entire party at once in the heat of battle)
How good is c&c?

Or do I need to wait for Crispy's review?

The camera is pretty bad but it isn't unplayable. It has pretty bad issues with layers and other annoyances like not seeing shit when walking uphill.

Mage battles are non-existent.

CC is mostly limited to local stuff. You have multiple ways to approach areas but this has little impact on anything else, especially not the main narrative.

On a broader note I feel like BG3 shares a fair bit with many recent movies in that they don't seem to be written as a coherent narrative but as separate scenes with cool stuff that are then strung together awkwardly and without much coherence.

Individual scenes may well be impressive and fun but the overall picture becomes a bit lacklustre.

His Dudeness

Augur
Mediocre. It is "realistic" until it decides it is not and you are limited to the choices that developers have deemed possible.

Still prefer old D&D titles that were more arcade like.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Ok, you can have both Minthara and Karlach for barb+pal combo
1. Expose driud bitch but do not kill her.
2. Gain access to goblin camp peacefully, kill their shaman stealhtly
3. Kill Halsin
4. Move to Act II through underdark, you ca get quest for raid on druids or not - it seems to have no effect
5. Meet harpers and raid Absolute caravan for lantern
6. Reach Moon Towers and follow rescue Minthara route

It seems main part here is to leave tieflings alive as this will set tieflings saved flag to active. And it is not a glitch because Minthara have dialgue options on Karlach, who will instantly leave if you slaghter tieflings as ususal.

Arkeus

Arcane
After all this degenerate talk, lets move on to more important topics.

How is camera and controls on pc? (That was actually really good with Dragon Age: Origins)
How are mage battles? (In BG2 you have to control your entire party at once in the heat of battle)
How good is c&c?

Or do I need to wait for Crispy's review?
Camera is pretty good most of the time but can get wonky in multiple floor buildings. Mage battles are more of a 5e version of them - lots of counterspells, rather than needing breach and so on.

C&C is pretty insanely good. Basically everything you do in the first act limits the quests availables in the second act which also limits the ones available in the third act. There is some degree of self correction if you try really hard, but it's fairly limited and by the third arc the differences are fairly huge.

The in-arc choices are really big too, and how you tackle each quests can vary a lot, with having wildly different results.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Ok, you can have both Minthara and Karlach for barb+pal combo
1. Expose driud bitch but do not kill her.
2. Gain access to goblin camp peacefully, kill their shaman stealhtly
3. Kill Halsin
4. Move to Act II through underdark, you ca get quest for raid on druids or not - it seems to have no effect
5. Meet harpers and raid Absolute caravan for lantern
6. Reach Moon Towers and follow rescue Minthara route

It seems main part here is to leave tieflings alive as this will set tieflings saved flag to active. And it is not a glitch because Minthara have dialgue options on Karlach, who will instantly leave if you slaghter tieflings as ususal.
they really went full retard with "paladins" aren't they?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Aliens in fantasy setting is indeed incredibly retarded. I'm no D&D lore expert but it's just retarded to have space ships in a fantasy setting. This 5e world seems way too bloated and could use a lot more focus.

Demons are cool tho. I wish they would lean more into the religious aspect of the world. Paladins don't really feel like holy crusaders for example. And you shouldn't be able to fuck everything that moves as a Paladin
Aside from the aforementioned Spelljammer campaign setting, released in 1989 with many supplements over the next few years, and adventure module S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks from 1981, there is also Supplement II: Blackmoor from original Dungeons & Dragons, published in 1975, which included the sample adventure Temple of the Frog:

The High Priest of the Temple of the Frog
Traditionally this role was voted to the most influential member of the "Inner Circle" of the brothers. It is now held by a usurper, Stephen the Rock. This fellow is not from the world of Blackmoor at all, but rather he is an intelligent humanoid from another world/dimension. Originally, he and his compatriots were sent to the area to police it against incursions of similar beings, for it was discovered that a dimensional nexus point existed in this area that allowed such possibilities. He assumed leadership of the Temple in order to have a base of power, for he now seeks glory and personal gain, with as little personal risk as possible. When the team was intact this self-seeking would have been checked, but with the death of all but the creature now posing as the commander of the guards, loyal to the High Priest and also power-oriented, most restraints are gone. Once each year the High Priest must report to a hovering satellite station, giving details of what has transpired below, and turning over any powerful "artifacts" taken during the previous time period.

This sample was later expanded upon by Dave Arneson and David Ritchie into adventure module DA2 The Temple of the Frog, published for BECMI D&D in 1986, which was followed by DA3 The City of the Gods:
da2.jpg
da3.jpg
s3first.jpg

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What level were you when entering act 2? I entered at level 4 and it said "you're severely underlevelled and your experience will be lamentable" or something like this. I did ALL ACT 1 CONTENT, there was nothing else I could do.
Pissed me off that they balanced it like this. This is a monorail game, it's supposed to make sure I'm okay on XP no matter how I do your quests.
Upon entering Act 2, the undead fight is crazy difficult. I had to cheese with barrelmancy, exploded 5 of them.
Bad experience.
You should have reached level 5 in Act I just from exploring the initial overworld zone and its immediately-adjacent underground areas, i.e. without entering the Underdark/Grymforge and without entering the Mountain Pass monastery/creche area. For me, level progression slowed enormously on reaching level 5, but I did reach level 6 about the same time I completed the Underdark/Grymforge areas, and then level 7 from the monastery/creche before entering Act II proper.

I was around level 5 or 6 I think, have you done everything in the underdark?
Uh, what Underdark? Huh?
There are three different entrances to the Underdark in Act I. :M
Below the Zhentarim Hideout, below the temple sub-area of the Sanctum area in the Goblin Camp, and from the Hag's lair.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Aliens in fantasy setting is indeed incredibly retarded. I'm no D&D lore expert but it's just retarded to have space ships in a fantasy setting. This 5e world seems way too bloated and could use a lot more focus.

Demons are cool tho. I wish they would lean more into the religious aspect of the world. Paladins don't really feel like holy crusaders for example. And you shouldn't be able to fuck everything that moves as a Paladin
Aside from the aforementioned Spelljammer campaign setting, released in 1989 with many supplements over the next few years, and adventure module S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks from 1981, there is also Supplement II: Blackmoor from original Dungeons & Dragons, published in 1975, which included the sample adventure Temple of the Frog:

Traditionally this role was voted to the most influential member of the "Inner Circle" of the brothers. It is now held by a usurper, Stephen the Rock. This fellow is not from the world of Blackmoor at all, but rather he is an intelligent humanoid from another world/dimension. Originally, he and his compatriots were sent to the area to police it against incursions of similar beings, for it was discovered that a dimensional nexus point existed in this area that allowed such possibilities. He assumed leadership of the Temple in order to have a base of power, for he now seeks glory and personal gain, with as little personal risk as possible. When the team was intact this self-seeking would have been checked, but with the death of all but the creature now posing as the commander of the guards, loyal to the High Priest and also power-oriented, most restraints are gone. Once each year the High Priest must report to a hovering satellite station, giving details of what has transpired below, and turning over any powerful "artifacts" taken during the previous time period.

This sample was later expanded upon by Dave Arneson and David Ritchie into adventure module DA2 The Temple of the Frog, published for BECMI D&D in 1986, which was followed by DA3 The City of the Gods:
da2.jpg
da3.jpg
s3first.jpg

It's posts like these making the codex worthwile.

Jaunty

Literate
Evolve PR guy pissed at IGN for proclaiming BG3 as new standard for AAA games:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
The sad part is that this game isn't inherently exceptional imo. It is look a good buffet, consistently at or above average. That this is somehow threatening to any devs/studios just tells me to stay away, but I've already known that about Turtle Rock.
I've actually found this baffling. What, exactly, is this new standard? BG3 is fine, but it's nowhere near a watershed game like GTA3 or Mass Effect.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Some QoL improvemets I wish to see:

Items of the same type being summarized in inventory.

Better inventory organization.

Quick sale button for trash.

Choose Companion screen when you leave camp like in PoE or Pathfinder games.

Latro

Arcane
Hmm...

Sucker

His Dudeness

Augur

da2.jpg
da3.jpg
s3first.jpg
People who are against sci fi elements in their fantasy fiction are retards and should read Jack Vance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom