Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
No random encounters and no world map to travel + no night/day cycle put me on hold for now until I finish Trudograd first.

I think one of the good points of the game is that it doesn't waste your time with pointless shitmobs unlike Pathfinder games.
One could argue 90% of the encouters in act 3 are pointless trashmob, because you don't get anything from them and they are piss easy.

There is no worthy loot, no experience becuase you have already hit the level cap.
Worst of all, everywhere you go there's some sort of trouble. The pacing is shit. I don't wanna deal with suspiciously high level thieves and hauntings, I got more important people to murder.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Also Larian has fixed Minthara's content trigger for 10 times already and she still has barely any. Stop pretending it's a bug, just admit she has no content and be done with it.
Dead Drow need no content.

WAI

Larianshill

Arbiter
I'm nearly done with my thesis on why the evil playthrough sucks, and how I'd make it better. Maybe I should become one of those jackasses on youtube and make it a video essay. But I have no experience in video editing.

Elthosian

Arcane
No random encounters and no world map to travel + no night/day cycle put me on hold for now until I finish Trudograd first.

I think one of the good points of the game is that it doesn't waste your time with pointless shitmobs unlike Pathfinder games.
One could argue 90% of the encouters in act 3 are pointless trashmob, because you don't get anything from them and they are piss easy.

There is no worthy loot, no experience becuase you have already hit the level cap.

Bless playing with the increased exp requirement mod. Still at Level 4 and not going to hit 5 anytime soon. Overall you can get a much better experience by installing that, the one lowering approval bonuses, and Fix Bad DM. The guy doing the latter is a fucking machine and already got attunement in and is re-designing enemy AI for every single encounter to be more in line with expected creature behaviors.

Anyway, my guess is they balanced the game around people doing only one of Mountain Pass or Underdark so completionists end up over-levelling. Kinda annoying and should have added different exp requirements for Tactician, but seeing how some casuals are suffering even in story mode I can see why they did it.

BruceVC

Magister
I'm nearly done with my thesis on why the evil playthrough sucks, and how I'd make it better. Maybe I should become one of those jackasses on youtube and make it a video essay. But I have no experience in video editing.
Do it and post the video when you complete. I have watched lots of informative and worthwhile Youtube videos on different gaming topics like mod selection and character builds. But I dont watch gameplay videos

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Talking sh*t about the greatest game of all time? Even making a video?

You're a traitor

Black

Arcane
I just came back from the dentist and I paid a fuckton of money to able to keep chewing food, so let's talk ECONOMY.

Why the fuck do githyanki weapons +1, which should be rare on the material plane and thus worth more than just regular +1s, sell for about as much as 2 or 3 bottles of wine?
And even more egregious, why the fuck is an underdark spectator or bulette in act 1 worth LESS exp than a small group of kobolds in act 1.5? It's almost as if exp worth is dictated by how far into the game you encounter the thing, rather than what the thing is but that can't be as that would be extremely retarded game design and 95% positive reviews on steam means it can't possibly have retarded game design.
Any explanation, Swen?

MerchantKing

Learned
You don't need video editing experience. Just make a video ranting just like the good old days.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
I just came back from the dentist and I paid a fuckton of money to able to keep chewing food, so let's talk ECONOMY.

Why the fuck do githyanki weapons +1, which should be rare on the material plane and thus worth more than just regular +1s, sell for about as much as 2 or 3 bottles of wine?
And even more egregious, why the fuck is an underdark spectator or bulette in act 1 worth LESS exp than a small group of kobolds in act 1.5? It's almost as if exp worth is dictated by how far into the game you encounter the thing, rather than what the thing is but that can't be as that would be extremely retarded game design and 95% positive reviews on steam means it can't possibly have retarded game design.
Any explanation, Swen?
The explanation is; fuck you.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Talking sh*t about the greatest game of all time? Even making a video?

You're a traitor
I'm doing this out of love for the game, Swen. Please understand.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fancy weapons are a dime a dozen in a world of adventures but good vintage is hard to come by.

Hagashager

Educated
Fancy weapons are a dime a dozen in a world of adventures but good vintage is hard to come by.
I initially though this sounded really stupid but in thinking about it, you're right.

God the Forgotten Realms is a bad setting.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
nearly done with my thesis on why the evil playthrough sucks, and how I'd make it better.
Being good should be its own reward, or at most reward you with more allies.
Being evil should be for personal gain, maybe alienate allies and makes you feel bad, but personally rewarding in terms of treasure and power.
This will make normies bitch and moan about how they are missing out on content and power by not killing people. Already some of the most popular mods are about Dark Urge getting the murder rewards without committing the murder, or Wyll getting the robe without killing Karlach, or recruiting Minthara without killing the thieflings, etc.

So if you want a better evil playthrough, you should accept that you will move less product and get poorer reviews. Which is not the point of Larian Incorporated For Profit Company.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
recruiting Minthara without killing the thieflings
Mark my words, in the Enhanced Edition, you'll be able to do it unmodded.
Swen is a Durge Chad, I am sure he wouldn't do this to us. I hope in the Enhanced Edition you would be able to throw Karlach's head for the dog to fetch in camp, though. Or have spikes to put select heads on, there's a couple of notable ones.

About the level cap, you could hit it pretty early in BG1 too. But in that run I did every quest I could, trying to get the best XP rewards as well. I had barely done a few maps in Durlag's Tower, not even descending into the tower proper, when I hit the max xp thingy.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Morbid curiosity made me try this. Random impressions:

• The game runs on win7. But only if you hold shift while it's booting. This is a very weird behaviour.
  • I really miss rusfinder polish! Being able to easily and reliably highlight everything interactible, looting all bodies after combat easily... I guess larian spent all the money on cutscenes. I also got so many tutorial popups after the first brain fight that they couldn't fit on the screen.
  • Character models do look good, and the game overall looks pretty nice and runs fairly well even on my old system (although I had to run it true fullscreen, or the screen would tear).
  • 5e seems fucking dull. Levelup up lazeal to level 2, and there's literally 0 options, just level up -> confirm.
  • I pushed a goblin off a cliff that was like 5m tall, and it took 1 damage. Not very impressive.
  • The map is completely black for me. I assumed it was W7 problem, but it seems lots of people are having the issue even on w10.
  • Within Days the mindworm will kill us all!!!1 somehow I don't think the entire game will end after 10 rests.

My suspicion that this is a successor to bioware's legacy of massively commercially and critically succesful RPGs that are actually kinda shit feels wholly justified, if not entirely confirmed just yet.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom