Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
BG3 is quite unique that’s for sure. It succeeds in being a great game scratching those ol itches, while simultaneously being an utter shit with garbage writing and insufferable characters.
Meh. Gameplay is king and that is excellent.

I pity people who play combat, exploration and build oriented optimization games for the story / to analyze their writing or are so sensitive they cannot tolerate fictional characters they don't like.
Problem is when the game is 90% dialog and holding tab to loot 40 crates in a random house.

Also gameplay is mediocre as d&d5e is trash.
It's a bad and cringe setting for sure. Everyone being bi sexual is both weird, creepy and immersion breaking. The plot is convoluted and not very good, half the companions are terrible. But I'm telling you it makes the game a lot more enjoyable if you get rid of the really had companions ASAP (Wyll, Karlach, Gale.) Shart, Asterion, Lae'zell and Minthara are mostly fine.

Gameplay is some of the best in recent memory. 5e isn't the best and I think the most meta way to play (bursting every enemy down on turn 1 with high initiative and sorc/tavern brawler/swords bard builds) is pretty boring. But there's a lot of different ways to play and approach the combat. Building a more defensive/control oriented party is way more fun.

The only negative I really have to say about gameplay is I wish they gave enemies some defensive options to stop them from being bursted down on turn 1 but you have the option not to play that way

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
The only negative I really have to say about gameplay is I wish they gave enemies some defensive options to stop them from being bursted down on turn 1 but you have the option not to play that way

They should had made some sort of armour system that prevents CC. :smug:
Actually damage, initiative and the action economy are king. Hence sorcs and swords bards being busted (action economy) and tb builds (too much damage.)

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It is not "full" of them, more or less the same ratio you'd encounter in real life. So whats the deal?
Out of the hundreds of NPCs in Act I, you meet, what, 8 white people? Less if you don't count elves. And one is a monster in disguise. The rest are literally demonic refugees, goblins, midgets, and niggers of all shapes and sizes.

This is only real life if you live in LA.

Besides, you're shifting the goalpost. Even it were as you say, not playing this game isn't going to cause your dick to fall off. It's more likely to protect you from low-T and whatever digital mind disease the 7-man cucksquad that wrote this crap has.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

axedice

Cipher
Hunter’s Mark is awful.
On a crit build with bhaalist armor in play, it's as valuable as a sneak attack dice. So with ambusher and action surge, you get 5 attacks which is ~50 additional damage (assuming 2 of 5 attacks will be crits). It's not build defining or anything, but if you're going gloomstalker then it's not bad. And certainly more useful than ensnaring in the endgame.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I’ve got a full party to do damage. I want to stop shit from fucking me up (not that that’s too hard in BG3, but still like to bring most reliable tool), which was the question (CC).

I understand the appeal of maxxing DPS but there are other games for that. Even if this game had appropriate difficulty that probably wouldn’t be the limiting factor.

CC doubles here as first link in disadvantage chain. Ensnared = disadvantage on attax, advantage for opponents attacking, and disadvantage on DEX saves. Opens up the game for rest of team (such as weapon abilities of damage dealers).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Also why do people like Minsc? That guy is mad annoying.
It's less Minsc that people enjoy than the only tolerable companion ever created by Bioware:

8gBeNhl.png

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Pretty cool and unique shart dark justicar build I came up with. Using the Shar spear and dark justicar scimitar. Cleric/ranger/rogue/monk

These weapons go perfect together because you should nearly always have advantage attacking in darkness with the spear and thus you trigger the scimitar's blind effect

Level 1: Start with ranger to get the dual wielding fighting style and I like to grab the sleight of hand prof.

Level 2: War cleric. I like to keep a cleric level on shart for RP reasons. War cleric is also just good because of the bonus attack abilities and you get the good cleric stuff like bless, sanctuary command

Level 3: Ranger. We want gloomstalker and extra attack asap

Level 4: Ranger. Take gloomstalker to get the initiative and extra first round attack

Level 5: Ranger. Feat. Feat dual wielder

Level 6: Ranger. Extra attack

Level 7: monk. Now we can wield Shar's spear with dex which is the main draw. You can also take this earlier instead of cleric and wear the dex +2 chest piece and get the monk other benefits for a while

Level 8: Rogue. Want the thief bonus action

Level 9: Rogue

Level 10: Rogue. Thief

Level 11: Rogue. For the feat. Take ASI Dex

Level 12 Cleric: Couple spells. Channel divinity doesn't really matter.

Before you get the 11 ASI feat you can put dex at 17 and use ethels hair. You can get it to 20 with the +2 dex chest piece for a while especially if you take monk at level 2 for the other monk abilities. If you need ethels hair on someone else you can wear the gloves of dex for a while until you get your second feat and then respect your stats to get 18 dex. Another +2 from the mirror late game for 20

Biggest flaw with having to potentially rock 18 dex until late game. But still a pretty cool and effective build I think

Perkel

Arcane

I might have go and play bg1 and 2 which I never have before. Probably have to run evil again if the good companions are annoying like that.

Because he is anti-thesis of modern "gamer" which needs to think about 20 times whatever killing this bad guy is really good thing.
Since then most of gamers became Edwins and trooned out.

I blame Avelone.

:codexisfor:

axedice

Cipher
I’ve got a full party to do damage. I want to stop shit from fucking me up (not that that’s too hard in BG3, but still like to bring most reliable tool), which was the question (CC).

I understand the appeal of maxxing DPS but there are other games for that. Even if this game had appropriate difficulty that probably wouldn’t be the limiting factor.

CC doubles here as first link in disadvantage chain. Ensnared = disadvantage on attax, advantage for opponents attacking, and disadvantage on DEX saves. Opens up the game for rest of team (such as weapon abilities of damage dealers).
It is not that maximized dps is a must with good CC, but we are discussing builds in BG3 and the game is built around either max dps, or unresistable CC. Which is why arcane acuity bards and fire sorcs are simply the best builds, they both deal good damage and land an unresistable cc in the same round. An in the case of ensnaring strike, I'm seeing a lot of late game targets where it would be very difficult to land. The ones whom you successfully land it do not have the threat level of fucking you up. Act1, maybe even the first part of act2 is a different matter though, where ensnaring will shine.

Pretty cool and unique shart dark justicar build I came up with. Using the Shar spear and dark justicar scimitar. Cleric/ranger/rogue/monk

Having a level of monk to take advantage of dex and using bloodlust is a good idea actually, the only downside would be the scimitar's slashing damage not taking advantage of bhaalist armor, but that is not a huge loss. Taking Fighter 2 for action surge (and armor fighting style too) instead of cleric2 for 3 bonus action attacks per day would be much better of course. While the extra action from bloodlust will not trigger extra attacks, you can use it to activate the darkness spell from the spear. Another thing I'd change is Alert instead of ASI. With gloomstalkers bonus initiative and high dex, you'd be going first all the time. And I can not stress this enough, party alert is king in this game, definitely more useful than +1 attack and damage.

Perkel

Arcane
Because he is anti-thesis of modern "gamer" which needs to think about 20 times whatever killing this bad guy is really good thing.
If that's what you want from a companion, then lawful good fanatic > braindead comedy relief.

It's the distention between efficiency of production in factory and your granfather making ironworks by hand. First one will lead you to money second one will lead you to perfection.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

It is not that maximized dps is a must with good CC, but we are discussing builds in BG3 and the game is built around either max dps, or unresistable CC. Which is why arcane acuity bards and fire sorcs are simply the best builds, they both deal good damage and land an unresistable cc in the same round. An in the case of ensnaring strike, I'm seeing a lot of late game targets where it would be very difficult to land. The ones whom you successfully land it do not have the threat level of fucking you up. Act1, maybe even the first part of act2 is a different matter though, where ensnaring will shine.

Having a level of monk to take advantage of dex and using bloodlust is a good idea actually, the only downside would be the scimitar's slashing damage not taking advantage of bhaalist armor, but that is not a huge loss. Taking Fighter 2 for action surge (and armor fighting style too) instead of cleric2 for 3 bonus action attacks per day would be much better of course. While the extra action from bloodlust will not trigger extra attacks, you can use it to activate the darkness spell from the spear. Another thing I'd change is Alert instead of ASI. With gloomstalkers bonus initiative and high dex, you'd be going first all the time. And I can not stress this enough, party alert is king in this game, definitely more useful than +1 attack and damage.
You definitely don't need alert with this build. +3 from gloom. +4 from dex (+5 late game.) You can throw on another +1 from the short bow and upgrade to the +3 long bow. You can also throw on the aforementioned +2 from the Bhaalist armor. Only Cazidor should really beat this out.

On war domain vs fighter: I like a build to be viable from level 1. At level 12 fighter with action surge will be stronger. But at level 2 you get a lot of value from the really good early game cleric stuff like bless, sanctuary, command

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

These weapons go perfect together because you should nearly always have advantage attacking in darkness with the spear and thus you trigger the scimitar's blind effect

Level 1: Start with ranger to get the dual wielding fighting style and I like to grab the sleight of hand prof.

Level 2: War cleric. I like to keep a cleric level on shart for RP reasons. War cleric is also just good because of the bonus attack abilities and you get the good cleric stuff like bless, sanctuary command

Level 4: Ranger. Take gloomstalker to get the initiative and extra first round attack

Level 7: monk. Now we can wield Shar's spear with dex which is the main draw. You can also take this earlier instead of cleric and wear the dex +2 chest piece and get the monk other benefits for a while

Before you get the 11 ASI feat you can put dex at 17 and use ethels hair. You can get it to 20 with the +2 dex chest piece for a while especially if you take monk at level 2 for the other monk abilities. If you need ethels hair on someone else you can wear the gloves of dex for a while until you get your second feat and then respect your stats to get 18 dex. Another +2 from the mirror late game for 20

Biggest flaw with having to potentially rock 18 dex until late game. But still a pretty cool and effective build I think
Attacking in the Darkness with Justicar's Scimitar to Blind enemies, who cannot see.

:philosoraptor:

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

Attacking in the Darkness with Justicar's Scimitar to Blind enemies, who cannot see.

:philosoraptor:
Enemies attempt to move in and out of darkness now. So now if they get out of the darkness they'll still be blinded

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Probably would take rogue 5 at level 12 instead of cleric 2. Bg3 used to round up on spell slots so 5 levels of ranger and 2 of cleric would have gotten level 3 spell slots. Without that I'd just take the defense bonus

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
So many people gearing up for their endgame raids, so few pwning Act 1&2 where the action is..

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remembering Bitchy Shadowheart: https://www.gamesradar.com/games/rp...e-devs-said-i-really-dont-like-the-character/

Shadowheart from Baldur's Gate 3 was originally "more sassy" and had to be "heavily dialed down" after one of the devs said "I really don't like" the character​

Shadowheart was lot meaner at some point in Early Access

Shadowheart, the fan-favorite cleric from Baldur's Gate 3, was originally a much more sassy character before being "heavily dialed down" due to internal feedback.

Shadowheart's sassiness and hot temper are two of her most defining traits that make her one of the more popular Baldur's Gate 3 romance options, but at some point in the game's Early Access period, it sounds like she was downright mean. GamesRadar+ had the chance to attend a panel at the BAFTA's: An Evening with Baldur's Gate 3 event, and director Swen Vincke revealed a key insight about Shadowheart's early character development.

"We thought Shadowheart, in the beginning when she was very sassy, she was great because our main thing was, we're going to create a party of people who distrust each other and then they're going to grow to trust each other."

Vincke admitted that the writers went a little too far in their effort to make other party members distrustful of Shadowheart, recalling an instance in which another developer (likely lead writer Sarah Baylus but only their first name was used so I can't confirm) saying "I really don't like Shadowheart."

The host of the panel then asked for clarification about whether Shadowheart's sassiness has since been dialed down, and Vincke replied, "yeah, heavily dialed down."

Baldur's Gate 3 was in early access for about three years, and in that time Larian made a bunch of major changes for the final release, and plenty of those were based on player feedback. At one point during the panel, Vincke remembered early access players being vocal about certain elements they viewed as missteps.

"The players were telling us 'this is a mistake, you shouldn't be doing this, we are saying there's 100 of us saying it now, in the future, it will be millions of us. So fix it now.'"

Personally, I just want an optional mode where you get to play through the game with all of Shadowheart's unfiltered sass, although I'd frankly be afraid to see how her relationship with Lae'zel early on would play out in that universe.

Hydro

Educated
We all know Shadowpussy offended the main Larian target group i.e. basement dwelling genderfluid neckbeard incels, which was the reason they nerfed the quest for obtaining her vagina.

kigmathelm

Literate
BG3 is not bad, you're just getting old. With this attitude, you'll loose your manhood next.
Dunno, I thought the same about myself when I could not finish BG3 and as an experiment I went to replay BG2 + ToB and it was a breeze.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom