Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

kigmathelm

Literate
BG3 is not bad, you're just getting old. With this attitude, you'll loose your manhood next.
Dunno, I thought the same about myself when I could not finish BG3 and as an experiment I went to replay BG2 + ToB and it was a breeze.

Vatnik Wumao
PATCH 7 SWEN. RIGHT NOW. DO IT!
Is there much to look forward to besides some extra visuals for the evil endings tho?
Weren't they adding official modding support? Would mean easier mods, and with the end of big patches, an end to mod breaks.
Yeah. I was just wondering whether there were other noteworthy additions for the vanilla SP experience besides those ending improvements and general bugfixing.

Hydro

Educated
We all know Shadowpussy offended the main Larian target group i.e. basement dwelling genderfluid neckbeard incels, which was the reason they nerfed the quest for obtaining her vagina.
But they also have her fantasy about cucking you with bear cock
Oh well, whatever. Dumped her early in the act l anyway. For me Minthy totally stole the show. Her character being underdeveloped is a big plus, as she’s mostly avoided the Shitas touch of Larian’s “writers”*

*subject to change obviously

jf8350143

Liturgist
They toned down bascially every one. Back in the EA period, all of your companions is judging you left and right even when they are sitting in the camp. Now it's almost impossible to piss them off.

Still it's funny to see them claiming they "want to create a party of people who distrust each other and then they're going to grow to trust each other."

There is no interaction between them in act 2 and 3, even party banter was ditched, so what trust are you talking about here?

Last edited:

axedice

Cipher
The band of misfits who don't trust each other are later galvanized by the hardships they overcome together over the journey trope would've only worked, if they had long party-wide dialogues after each major encounter or quest, discussing the repercussions etc. And something like that would've killed the pacing of the game imo. So it's better that they toned it down.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
I don't feel qualified to comment in any depth as to how it's handled in this game specifically, because I haven't bothered to play the game yet, but it should as simple as establishing that the characters distrust eachother, and to then offer the player the opportunity to overcome this or to make things worse, through player agency. The only dialogue you'd need is some variation of:

-"you're a poopoo head"
followed by a combat encounter, or whatever, at the end of which it cuts to dialogue again:
-"wow, you're not such a poopoo head after all"
or
-"I knew you were a poopoo head all along"

and so on, depending on the player's actions, and the outcome of said actions.

It can be as quick and easy, (or drawn out and tedious) as you want it to be. Fleshing this out into an engaging story shouldn't be a problem, and it should absolutely not interfere with the rest of the game's pacing, unless it's just a grafted on cyoa novel, divorced from the rest of the game.

Readher

Savant
They toned down bascially every one. Back in the EA period, all of your companions is judging you left and right even when they are sitting in the camp. Now it's almost impossible to piss them off.

Still it's funny to see they claiming they "want to create a party of people who distrust each other and then they're going to grow to trust each other."

There is no interaction between them in act 2 and 3, even party banter was ditched, so what trust are you talking about here?
Reddit cried that companions don't suck PC's cock 5 minutes in and are big meanies, so they turned the whole party into a JRPG one. I remember playing the early EA iteration and thinking "this is it, they actually act like they supposed to and the group dynamics are very interesting, can't wait to see how it will evolve". And then the game released, and suddenly it was like playing a Bioware game. SAD!

GAYmers being manchildren who want to play an anime protagonist in every game have been disastrous for the genre.

Perkel

Arcane
Imho they probably planned more companions to fill tav party but due to game being too big they had to cut them down which means that tav party will look more or less the same which means you can't have them murdering each other or you won't be able to fill your party.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/mod-suppo...al-handover-moment-to-players-says-larian-ceo

Mod support in Baldur's Gate 3 will be final handover moment to players, says Larian CEO​

And why early access was so important.

Baldur's Gate 3 will receive official mod support in a forthcoming patch, which Larian CEO Swen Vincke said will be a handover moment to players.

Speaking at BAFTA's An Evening with Baldur's Gate 3 after the game received multiple wins at this year's awards, Vincke discussed development of the game and Larian's long term support.

"One of the big things for us, and the one that we're really working towards now, is the ability for players to mod [Baldur's Gate 3] themselves, because then they will be able to make their own things," said Vincke. "And I think that will be the point where we're going to say 'ok, now it's yours fully'."

He admitted the team hasn't finished development of mod support yet and that it's been "hard trying to make that work". The release of the update, though, won't mark the end of support entirely, but "you will see the level of support diminished to really critical bug fixes" and for now "we're still working as if the game was just out".

When asked if he was looking forward to this "final handover moment", Vincke replied with an emphatic "yes".

"We're working on our new thing, we're super excited about the new games," he continued. "We're creative spirits also, we don't want to keep on doing the same thing, we really want to move forward and do new things."

We know already it's likely Larian's next game will also be released in early access, as director of publishing Michael Douse previously stated.

Vincke spoke further at BAFTA about the importance of early access for Baldur's Gate 3's development.

"The biggest thing that came out was it allowed us to course correct," said Vincke. "There were mistakes that we were making and the players were telling us 'this is a mistake, you shouldn't be doing this'.

"We try to listen and do as much as we can, where we think it makes a lot of sense. So that I think was instrumental in BG3's success."

But how do developers know what feedback is actually useful? "A lot of it is on gut feeling," said Vincke, admitting some elements can be analysed through data. "At the end of the day it's really how do I feel like a player about the game. I think if you do it any other way, you will just be paralysed, you won't be able to do anything. If you're going to try to do it by committee, then it's just going to be the most mediocre things that you can have. You have to follow your gut and say 'what game do you want to play?' And then it actually comes very easy, you just have to hope that that's the game that other people want to play also."

He added: "You also have to take into account there are many, many people in the universe with many many opinions. So it's impossible to cater to everyone. You don't necessarily always have to listen to the majority if you really believe in what's inside of the game."

So is early access the future of game development? At the least, Vincke said he would "heartily recommend it", but admitted four years of early access was "actually quite long" as players can get tired over that time.

He continued: "You really shouldn't approach it with the attitude 'oh it's just early access'. There are players playing this that care. So you should treat them with respect."

Baldur's Gate 3 won five awards at this year's BAFTAs, including Best Game. A recording of An Evening with Baldur's Gate 3 will soon be up on the BAFTA YouTube channel.

Larian recently opened a new studio in Poland as development on its next project ramps up.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/baldu...st-things-that-fell-into-place-was-the-heart/

Karlach's infernal engine was a late addition to her character in Baldur's Gate 3: 'One of the last things that fell into place was the heart'​

The telling-tale heart.

Karlach is one of Baldur's Gate 3's most beloved characters—and for plenty of good reasons. She's big, has potent golden retriever energy, and can probably bench press me—but she's also, like a lot of the game's cast, spectacularly well-written. Her journey of betrayal and punk-rock redemption is compelling and moving, to the point where the lack of a "perfect" ending was a point of controversy.

Broadly-speaking, I'm not on that particular conspiracy train—while I think from a critical standpoint the game's ending at launch felt a touch thin, that was later solved with a massive epilogue patch.

Regardless, Karlach's missing heart felt like such a central pillar of the character that I was shocked to learn, while attending BAFTA's "An Evening with Baldur’s Gate 3", that it was actually a somewhat late edition to everyone's favourite big tiefling wife.

During an interview (hosted by Jane Douglas) with Larian CEO and co-founder Swen Vincke, writing director Adam Smith, and lead writer Chrystal Ding, it was revealed that Karlach didn't get her infernal engine until much later in the creation process.

In fact, Karlach had the most changes overall, says Smith: "We had a lot of different concepts, and one of the last things that fell into place was the heart. We didn't have the heart for a long time—this person was [just] a fugitive from hell."

If you're familiar with Karlach's early access self, you'll likely be familiar with this engine-less tiefling. The party was iterated on plenty during the game's EA period—Wyll, for example, had an extensive rewrite somewhere along the river of development. Still, I'd always imagined that Larian had simply moved the reveal of Karlach's heart to Act 1 along with the character's visual redesign—since it's pretty hard to play coy about having a luminous ribcage.

"At some point we were looking for the extra coolness," Smith adds, though the team also wanted to answer the question of "'What is this character's thing about them that we can interact with, that we can engage with?' And we found this idea of this steampunk heart, this hell-heart, but yeah—for a long time, she didn't have it."

It was even late enough in the process, Smith jokes, to give teams responsible for cinematics a headache: "When you say to a lighting team and a cinematic team, 'by the way, she's now got a glowing metal heart in her chest', they say 'oh okay, really?' That was a good Wednesday."

However, the inverse is also true, as Vincke notes: "Some of these changes were also inspired by cinematic teams … 'You need to change this because otherwise where do we put our camera, there's going to be too much clipping going on, and so forth'—so really it's like many things about Baldur's Gate 3, it was teamwork that defined what the characters did."

That collaborative process, Vincke says, also expands to the players—such as the feedback-induced new ending for Karlach, which predated the epilogue patch considerably. If you want to watch the full talks from BAFTA's "An Evening with Baldur’s Gate 3", I'm told it'll be coming to the organisation's YouTube channel soon.

jf8350143

Liturgist

Still it's funny to see they claiming they "want to create a party of people who distrust each other and then they're going to grow to trust each other."

Reddit cried that companions don't suck PC's cock 5 minutes in and are big meanies, so they turned the whole party into a JRPG one. I remember playing the early EA iteration and thinking "this is it, they actually act like they supposed to and the group dynamics are very interesting, can't wait to see how it will evolve". And then the game released, and suddenly it was like playing a Bioware game. SAD!

GAYmers being manchildren who want to play an anime protagonist in every game have been disastrous for the genre.
Bioware handles companions much better comparing to BG 3.

Even in the more recent release where it is almost impossbile to make the companion angry enough to leave the party, at least they will interact with each other and sometimes argue with each other. Also Bioware's companions rarely jump on your dick the in the first act of the game.

Yosharian

Arcane

Even in the more recent release where it is almost impossbile to make the companion angry enough to leave the party, at least they will interact with each other and sometimes argue with each other. Also Bioware's companions rarely jump on your dick the in the first act of the game.
What era of Bioware are we even talking about?

jf8350143

Liturgist

What era of Bioware are we even talking about?
Bioware is pretty consistent when it comes to companions, at least since they went into the 3D era..

Everyone has several cut scenes, normally happens after the major story bits. Some companions will have a interaction with another companion, usually it's a conflict between them where you have to deal with. Every romanceable companions has one or two extra dialogue for every cut scene if you romance them, and one or two extra cut scenes near the end of the game, including the sex scene right before the ending. And then you will get a big cut scene near the end where everyone is there to show the team dynamics.

The writing quality is decreasing steadily, but the structure mostly remain the same.

Yosharian

Arcane
I mean not really, are we really going to compare Viconia in BG2, for example, with, I dunno, any character from the later Dragon Age games?

I don't even think the approach is the same let alone the quality of the writing

Vatnik Wumao
The writing quality is decreasing steadily, but the structure mostly remain the same.
Bingo.
1eP19uy.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom