Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Takamori

Learned
You are told that a big material sacrifice will do, which is just gold. Just like IRL churches I guess :M
Bummer. It's the common approach for most games, thought I'd hoped Larian would do something special with it, like how BG2 had the stronghold quests.

Oh yeah Kelemvor doesn't give a single fuck if you start raising an army of undead with your cleric or even use the necronomicon of Thay. The person responsible for cleric either didnt have resources to implement a roleplay mechanic where you lose your powers for fucking up hard or Larian didn't want cleric players crying like bitches because they did something against their god tenants.
That's what happens when you deprecate Alignment, much as I predicted, you can't fall back on a mechanic to deliver those narrative reactions and you're limited to costly setpiece designs. But that was WotC's call, if I recall correctly from the first showcase, Swen had originally planned to have Alignment but was eventually turned down. Still, videogames and tabletop are different beasts.
Even with the retarded alignment WotC retarded shenanigans like there is decision that you can simply flag that the player is being an Omega faggot to their deity eyes and cause penalty of some sort.

MerchantKing

Learned
How are you supposed to break the vengeance oath?

-me, drenched in the blood of anybody who looks at me wrong-

Vengeance oath:

View attachment 40163
By trying to redeem evil people who you see may have a chance at redemption like a Paladin might instead of just killing them outright.

That's all? I give 'em plenty of chances to redeem themselves.

In hell.
Deciding to redeem the level 4 archdruid and kill some shadow druids is one of the ways I was thinking of. Then there are a couple checks with Auntie Ethyl that break the oath. Not letting a the tiefling shoot the goblin in a cage is another one.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

Vengeance oath:

View attachment 40163
By trying to redeem evil people who you see may have a chance at redemption like a Paladin might instead of just killing them outright.

In hell.
Minthara being a vengeance oath Paladin and trying to kill all the tieflings suddenly makes sense.

Minthara is such a bitch though, I knew she's supposed to be a recruitable npc but she's such a BWAHAHAHAHAHA type villain that I can't take her seriously. It's fun to kill her though. It feels like only a retard would take her in.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The Paladin oathbreaker setup was quite cool. I had no idea what triggered my fallen state (something in the goblin camp somewhere), but this edgy dude suddenly showed up, explained the thing to me and since I'm swimming in money because I sell everything, including every available bit of moldy cheese, I was easily able to pay the fee. The little scene of you re-taking your oath is quite touching, I really felt, "Yeah, I'm gonna do better this time (even though I have no idea what the fuck I did wrong the last time lol)." (I'm Oath of Ancients btw, he has a neat proximity AoE heal that's proved handy more than once, and some little cc tricks.)

I desperately want an appearance changer though, I had no idea that there were two male body types in CC, and my dude really needs to be a lot more chunky looking considering his high STR, and the face I chose looks pretty nasty with all the weird gurning your main character does in the conversations, I need the biggest possible beard to cover that up.

I must admit I had a bit of a lull with this the other day, but the difference between a bad and good outcome at Last Light inn (which I tested both a bit, ending up pursuing the better outcome) made me appreciate the work that's been put into this again. Whether they actually captured the BG feeling (duplicating the awesomeness of those games in their context at the time) is somewhat up for debate (I still feel it's mostly a Larian tropes game, but it does have its moments), but whatever else you might say about the game, you can't fault them for lack of effort.

I thought you could kill the flying idiot to prevent him to take the girl, but it turns out, if you do, another guy will come from her. A minor complaint, but apparently you DO have to fight everyone at the Inn. Had to reload because I hadn't realized the tiefling smith was there and needed him for Karlach's quest.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So browsing the Nexus and found something right up the BG3 fan's alley:

966-1692099997-843785973.jpeg

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/966

Last edited by a moderator:

Takamori

Learned

Vengeance oath:

View attachment 40163

In hell.
Minthara being a vengeance oath Paladin and trying to kill all the tieflings suddenly makes sense.
To be lore accurate she should had been a Paladin of Conquest, but Larian didn't want to ass to implement another paladin subclass.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Anyone tested Tactician Plus?
I'm wondering what HP boost to choose so as not to overdo it
It seems to me that 80% should be in a good place for enemies to be able to withstand more than 1-2 rounds.
I prefer not to touch other statistics because of how 5e works.

Vatnik Wumao
Clerics in comparison don't seem to care about allegiances. It's like they get extra abilities and that's that.
Well, unlike with the paladin's oaths, it's a two way street for clerics. If you maintain formal allegiance to your deity (which is what having the cleric class narratively implies), then you still receiving your powers despite acting contrary to your deity's tenets just means that your god of choice still has an interest in you for whatever reason (e.g. judging your behavior as being due to pragmatism in its service, considering you a good asset to have regardless of behavior etc etc).

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
The Paladin oathbreaker setup was quite cool. I had no idea what triggered my fallen state (something in the goblin camp somewhere), but this edgy dude suddenly showed up, explained the thing to me and since I'm swimming in money because I sell everything, including every available bit of moldy cheese, I was easily able to pay the fee. The little scene of you re-taking your oath is quite touching, I really felt, "Yeah, I'm gonna do better this time (even though I have no idea what the fuck I did wrong the last time lol)." (I'm Oath of Ancients btw, he has a neat proximity AoE heal that's proved handy more than once, and some little cc tricks.)

I desperately want an appearance changer though, I had no idea that there were two male body types in CC, and my dude really needs to be a lot more chunky looking considering his high STR, and the face I chose looks pretty nasty with all the weird gurning your main character does in the conversations, I need the biggest possible beard to cover that up.

I must admit I had a bit of a lull with this the other day, but the difference between a bad and good outcome at Last Light inn (which I tested both a bit, ending up pursuing the better outcome) made me appreciate the work that's been put into this again. Whether they actually captured the BG feeling (duplicating the awesomeness of those games in their context at the time) is somewhat up for debate (I still feel it's mostly a Larian tropes game, but it does have its moments), but whatever else you might say about the game, you can't fault them for lack of effort.

Its incredible to me that someone thought having your character mugging at the camera and making crazy googly eyes was a genuinely good idea to cover for no dialogue, it would be infinitely better if you just had no expression at all, but no my guy looks like he is having a stroke or about to go epileptic in every conversation. There is also this smug gormless retard look my Tav gets every now and then which I must admit makes me laugh as its usually wildly inappropriate to the tone of the situation.

And the shine is certainly wearing off post Act 1, starting to lose interest in continuing, unfortunately its the classic 'front loading' problem that these games invariably have which I kind of expected but hoped would not be the case.

Astarion's gayness is more akin to an effeminate moustache twirling pseudo-villain than a full rapist degenerate like Gale though. He's okay.

I get the feeling Gale is modelled on the older guy 'mentor, professor, teacher, etc' who generally ends up being a pedo/sex pest, as he has that pseudo intellectual, I just want to be friends, lets go somewhere and be alone together vibe. Likely based on personal experience of whoever wrote him as he does seem like a more genuinely real person compared to some of the other characters.

Astarion is less offensive as he is straight up flaming homo with no deception.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I get the feeling Gale is modelled on the older guy 'mentor, professor, teacher, etc' who generally ends up being a pedo/sex pest, as he has that pseudo intellectual, I just want to be friends, lets go somewhere and be alone together vibe. Likely based on personal experience of whoever wrote him as he does seem like a more genuinely real person compared to some of the other characters.
Originally, I think Gale had gray hair. There were videos before early access, and I think I say him with gray hair in one. There's also gray hair in some of the promo material.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Minthara is such a bitch though, I knew she's supposed to be a recruitable npc but she's such a BWAHAHAHAHAHA type villain that I can't take her seriously. It's fun to kill her though. It feels like only a retard would take her in.
She's brainwashed. I took her in, and she's the bomb. That Divine Smite of hers shatters my screen every time.

It's great.

HammyTheFat

Scholar
Apparently they rolled back the hotfix, so not only did I just lose an hour plus of gameplay - I got put back in front of the door in act 2 that led to thorm that I couldn't even open until the hotfix patched it.

Thank you Larian, very cool.

I guess I'll start my evil playthrough or something.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Grymforge is a good example of the "puzzle combat" in this game. (For those with reading comprehension, my complaint is that the combats take too long, not that they are too hard.)
When you enter the area you are told Nere and the gnomes are trapped in a cave-in with poison, you need to save the gnomes but also kill Nere, assuming you are good.

-If you rest, they all die, which makes sense at least. But if you happened to arrive at less than full health/spells, too bad. (Reload)
-You need a barrel bomb to open the cave in. I was lucky and had one already, but if you don't you have to go track one down. You'll probably run into several side fights that will sap your resources, potentially making the final fight unwinnable. (Reload)
-When you blow the bomb, you can easily hit one of the gnomes accidentally, turning them hostile and failing the quest. (Reload)
-When Nere is freed he immediately starts killing the gnomes unless you fight him. This inexplicably turns every dwarf in the area hostile, which is a fight you probably aren't prepared for. (Reload)
-One of the dwarves, who is not a caster, has a magic item that casts Thunder wave, and will attempt to use it to knock your guys into instakill pits or lava. The terrain of the room makes it very difficult to stay safe from this attack. So unless you intuited that this one dwarf was especially dangerous, win initiative, and burn her down, you're likely going to lose one or more guys. (Reload)
-You can try picking off some of the isolated dwarves ahead of time with stealth kills/pushes, but this is going to require some trial and error. (Reload)
-You can convince the elder to turn half the dwarves against Nere, but this requires a specific line of dialogue and a skill check, so if you missed it, too bad. (Reload and restart entire area).
-I tried to find an alternate way to free Nere without clearing the cave-in, but the game doesn't allow you to teleport or fly to the other side, even though it looks like it should. Waste of resources. (Reload)

So, for a single fight, that was about two hours of "gameplay" with at least 6+ reloads just to learn script triggers, gotcha enemies, and unpredictable NPCs, and I barely feel like I've made any progress or had any fun for my gaming time. You're really better off going into this area hard and just killing everyone, but then you won't get to experience the developers' awesome "puzzle".
I'd say some of these things you describe are bugs, but they never happened to me. First off you don't need a barrel to blow up the cave-in, but nice that you solved it this way.

After I cleared the cave-in it became clear I'll have to kill Nere, but I thought I'd kill off the dwarves first. I positioned Gale and Shadoheart on the high platform above the cave-in area. That's the platform you can move up-down and forward-back with two levers. My PC and Laezel remained down. I cleared the dwarves in like 6-7 combat rounds. Then Nere was without buddies when I freed him.

And there are multiple other ways to go through freeing and killing Nere, including winning some of the dwarves over on your side. Look it up back in the thread.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
For PC Gamer US, Baldur's Gate 3 joins some illustrious names. Before today, only five games had scored over 96:

• Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, 1999 [98]
Kind of based. SMAC was probably the greatest PC game of all time. Never been any other 4x that reached its heights.
99%-100% Advances the human species. Provides a feeling not dissimilar to the ending of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey.
The only feeling I got from this movie was "what the fuck did I just watch". Particularly from the ending.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom