Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
too late mr cain, i've already unsubscribed
much in the vein of fallout perks, your power ups have drawbacks
Ummm, akshually, Marxie, FO perks are pretty much nothing but positives. It's traits that have drawbacks.
Do better.
He's a dumb motherfucker, if you haven't gathered already.
Traits do have drawbacks. Never perks. That's why you get perks every three levels (like feats in D&D 3E and 3.5).

tommy heavenly6

Learned
Ummm, akshually, Marxie, FO perks are pretty much nothing but positives. It's traits that have drawbacks.
Do better.
The drawback is that by picking something useless like Heave Ho! or Snakeater, you pass on More Criticals until the next available perk.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
too late mr cain, i've already unsubscribed
much in the vein of fallout perks, your power ups have drawbacks
Do better.
did you sincerely think i know the difference between traits and perks? nigga i dont even know what half of them are called since i dont read tooltips past the numeric value

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I started watching some of these videos, and already I'm triggered. In his Fallout 1 video he makes the bold statement that Fallout 76 is a "good game", which he then follows up with "If someone makes a game that's not for you, that doesn't mean it's a bad game, it just means it's not for you", of course essentially saying that people who dislike Fallout 76 do so not because of any genuine reason, but because they don't understand the simple concept that just because you might not like the genre of a game, it doesn't mean the game itself is bad. He outright states hes never played Fallout 76 so how the fuck does he know whether it's bad or not? There are countless video essays on YouTube explaining why Fallout 76 is terrible in painstaking detail if you don't want to play the game yourself, so at least have the decency to watch one of those videos if you're going to be making claims about a game's supposed quality. As a game designer, when you make statements like this, you are essentially signing off on all the terrible game design decisions that led to such an abomination of a game even being made. Also, I love how there is no discussion about how different settings are more or less suited to different genres of games. Is the Fallout setting really the best choice for a game that was designed around online multiplayer and base building?

Funnily enough, I started drafting the above paragraph before I finished the video, but oh boy was I in for a treat once he started praising Fallout 3 and Skyrim. It really just gives off the impression that Tim Cain is some out of touch boomer who is incapable of playing a shooter game at any level of proficiency so of course he doesn't see anything wrong with the gameplay, and someone who grew up playing games that were incredibly simple, so the mere fact that a game is in 3D is enough to entertain them and cause them to overlook all the terrible game design decisions.

I've only seen a few videos but I somehow doubt this guy is making quality content. Can someone recommend one of his better videos, because if that ends up being shit I can just stop wasting my time.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's pretty standard for people in the industry to not badmouth each other's work, regardless of how they feel about it. Maybe he thinks those games are great, but I wouldn't expect him to say anything differently if he thought they were rancid shit.

Cain: "Actually those things that people dislike weren't my fault, blame others"
Avellone: "Not my fault either"
Boyarski: "Nope, not me"
Sawyer: "I dindu nuffin, I was shouting at people to add more gay characters but they didn't listen"

We're running out of names to blame. Who's left?
It's fucking Feargus!
It's 2023 and he's still crying because the well's broken.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unironically, the best video he has is the long-hour video with Leonard, because, it seems, that Leonard keeps his mental skating in check. And because Leonard seems to actually be a man with his head on his shoulders. So I would recommend *listening* to that one, while you do something else. Not watching. Listening. Wouldn't waste a full hour actually watching them talk.

Other than that, you're not missing much.

Also... to address your first paragraph real quick: Tim is a man that doesn't like sequels. He makes brand new ideas. Always. Good or bad. So a good portion of his perspective can be excused. He is an artist. It's fine.

The reason why we're not attacking him like you do, is because we've learned a long time ago that our heroes are very flawed. You will learn this, at one point or another, as well. :)

That makes me think, we'd need a situation similar to John Romero constantly fact checking Sandy Petersen's memories of the past.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
While I dislike the term "heroes" for obvious reasons, I understand what you're trying to say. That being said, my equivalents to your Tim Cain and whoever else you wish to cite would be Styg and Pierre, and why they are flawed, the games they have put out have been masterpieces, and their flaws don't lead them to designing shit games or excusing the design of shit games.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's pretty standard for people in the industry to not badmouth each other's work, regardless of how they feel about it.

IIRC he did mention several aspects he disliked in Fallout 4 in one of his recent videos about cut content.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
IIRC he did mention several aspects he disliked in Fallout 4 in one of his recent videos about cut content.

That is true. Although he outed himself (again huehue) for not actually playing Fallout 4 past the Deathclaw fight at Concord. I have my doubts he even did that though. His Synth talking points were laughable at best.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's pretty standard for people in the industry to not badmouth each other's work, regardless of how they feel about it. Maybe he thinks those games are great, but I wouldn't expect him to say anything differently if he thought they were rancid shit.
Tim has dreams of working at Bethesda confirmed.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
It really just gives off the impression that Tim Cain is some out of touch boomer who is incapable of playing a shooter game at any level of proficiency

Not so out of touch, when asked about the recent games he played:

Helmet Hair

What are some fun modern RPGs that you have played and liked? (Like from the last 10 years or so)

Timothy Cain
Timothy Cain
In no particular order and off the top of my head...Elden Ring, Pathfinder: WOTR, ELEX, Atom RPG, Underrail.
Darth Roxor

He appears to still actually enjoy playing games.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That makes me think, we'd need a situation similar to John Romero constantly fact checking Sandy Petersen's memories of the past.
Romero is a leftist prick.
I remember back when Trump got elected, he said something along the lines of "you should stop following me if you voted for Trump" or some shit like that. Sandy Petersen and John Romero are really cool guys though. As is Tom Hall.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I remember back when Trump got elected, he said something along the lines of "you should stop following me if you voted for Trump" or some shit like that. Sandy Petersen and John Romero are really cool guys though. As is Tom Hall.
You mean Petersen and Carmack?

d1nolore

Savant
Tim has dreams of working at Bethesda confirmed.
He already mentioned it in one of the videos; he tried to work there, but never got an offer.

d1nolore

Savant
Anyone played that Lord of the Rings game he mentioned?

Any good, worth looking at?

I see it’s on abandonware sites

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You mean Petersen and Carmack?
Goddamit, I fucked up.
Yeah, Carmack.

Vincente

Arbiter

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anyone played that Lord of the Rings game he mentioned?

Any good, worth looking at?

I see it’s on abandonware sites
Which one is that? haven't watched the video yet.
He's talking about https://www.mobygames.com/game/3870/jrr-tolkiens-the-lord-of-the-rings-vol-i/ also its follow-up https://www.mobygames.com/game/1480/jrr-tolkiens-the-lord-of-the-rings-vol-ii-the-two-towers/

Likely crap considering it's been forgotten.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom