Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

Tim Cain talks about GNW (GNW's Not Windows) and TIG (TIG Isn't GNW), my operating system abstraction libraries that allow my games to be more easily ported to different computer systems.
Edit:
lol
They couldn't get Win 95 logo on a box because it worked on Windows NT and to get the logo they had to make it not work xD.

Last edited:

d1nolore

Savant
The problem with most lord of the rings games is they follow the story and use the main characters. I mean most people already know the story so it’s not very interesting to follow in a game.

Tolkien made a whole universe which is ripe for a real RPG. Real shame Troika didn’t get the chance to make that game

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I thought the team behind Fallout: Nevada (and Sonara) either had or the code, or at least access to parts of it?

Or were they reverse-engineering the original engine....believe that's what the "Fallout 1 in 2" project did
They released a toolset for Fallout 2. Josh Sawyer chastised people for not making stuff with it given all the effort it took to make it happen.

The FO2 mapper/engine is a total bitch to work with and it's a miralce that there exist mods/total conversions of the game at all.
That's a pretty moronic thing of Sawyer to say.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The FO2 mapper/engine is a total bitch to work with and it's a miralce that there exist mods/total conversions of the game at all.
I'm sure it is, but it still took a lot of effort to make it happen and it was harder for them to make levels themselves. :P

His exact words
Chris Jones, Chris Avellone, and Scott Everts spent a lot of time working on that goddamned editor, so some of you should use it.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I'm sure it is, but it still took a lot of effort to make it happen and it was harder for them to make levels themselves. :P

His exact words
Chris Jones, Chris Avellone, and Scott Everts spent a lot of time working on that goddamned editor, so some of you should use it.

Ah, that puts it in perspective. Although I wonder what Avellone had to do with it. I thought he was not a "technical" person - I guess he was responsible for the dialogue "editor" if you want to call it like that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ah, that puts it in perspective. Although I wonder what Avellone had to do with it. I thought he was not a "technical" person - I guess he was responsible for the dialogue "editor" if you want to call it like that.
Pushed for it and wrote the intro.
Here is the Fallout 2 editor, the scripts, and the script compiler. We were able to take some time and
put together some documentation for it (and an installer), but a lot of it will require some trial and
error. If you want to hammer away at it, well, here it is.

Some things to keep in mind:

This editor is not the holy grail. It was never meant to be released to the public. As a result, you may
boot the editor up and realize that it doesn't match your expectations for a commercially-released RPG
editor. You may suffer some retina burn. Perhaps a strange itching sensation. Constipation. So be
prepared - you are about to experience a game editor, intended only for developers.

You use the Fallout 2 editors at your own risk. A poll was posted some time ago
(http://feedback.blackisle.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51095) asking if fans interested
in the editors would prefer to have the editors sooner with no documentation, and the answer was an
overwhelming yes, so here it is. We ended up including some documentation, anyway, so hopefully
that should help the pains of easing into the editor.

You need to have Fallout 2 installed for these editors to work.

Be sure to check out the readme.txt in the Scripts folder that will be installed with the editor. It
explains compiling the scripts, and some examples of how to build them using different C compilers
for the preprocessor. There is also information on the Open Watcom compiler and a link for where to
get it.

This is not the Fallout 2 source code. There are no plans to release the Fallout 2 source code at this
time.

Be warned - various issues with the editor are listed in the "Known Problems" section of this
document. Check it out before using the editors.

The Fallout 2 editors are not supported by Interplay. If you have a problem with them, do not contact
customer support because they'll have no idea what you're talking about.

If you have any questions about usage of the editors, post them up on the Fallout 1 and 2 forum
(www.interplay.com), and if we can answer them, we will. Keep in mind it has been many years since
these editors have been used, and a lot of the know-how is either rusty or has been forgotten, but we'll
see what we can do.

There are a number of people you should thank for the editors.

Josh Sawyer. Without Josh, you would not have the F2 editor. He brought up the idea in a meeting,
and everybody nodded their head because it seemed like a good idea before we realized what a pain in
the ass it would be.

Darren Monahan and Feargus Urquhart. Without Darren and Ferg, you would not have the F2 editor.

Chris Heidari. Chris Heidari took a good chunk of his time to test the editor and, as an added bonus, set
up the installer to make it easier for you to use.

Scotty Everts, who put the lion's share of work in setting up the editor doc summary.

...and most of all, Chris Jones. Chris worked on getting the F2 editors together during his free time.
Without Chris, you would not have the F2 editor.

Thanks and enjoy,

Chris Avellone

Lexx

Cipher
I thought the team behind Fallout: Nevada (and Sonara) either had or the code, or at least access to parts of it?

Or were they reverse-engineering the original engine....believe that's what the "Fallout 1 in 2" project did
They released a toolset for Fallout 2. Josh Sawyer chastised people for not making stuff with it given all the effort it took to make it happen.

Making maps is not what is holding back Fo2 mods.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Finally some Bloodlines and Arcanum talk:

Edit:
Leonard Boyarsky is jewish and he came up with (((gnomes))) conspiracy. He also wrote around 35-40% of dialogues in Arcanum.

14 people worked on Arcanum, although 3 were interns/temporary while on Fallout 30 people.

Jason Anderson's wife wrote brothel in Arcanum :].

When Sharon was expecting her 3rd child she took leave and Tim Cain had to to accounting and HR.

Troika had a Werewolf demo but it didn't go anywhere.

Malkavian dialogues were Jason Anderson's and Chad Moore's and Brian Mitsoda's.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Which one is that? haven't watched the video yet.
Troika made a Lord of the Rings demo based on Arcanum's engine.
This I know, but this little treasure can't be on any abandonware sites, can it? It must be some other game?
Interplay did two rpgs based on Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.R.R._Tolkien's_The_Lord_of_the_Rings,_Vol._I_(1990_video_game)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.R.R._Tolkien's_The_Lord_of_the_Rings,_Vol._II:_The_Two_Towers

CrpgAddict played them both and liked the first one more:
http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2014/05/lord-of-rings-final-rating.html
http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2019/03/lord-of-rings-vol-ii-two-towers-summary.html

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Edit:
Leonard Boyarsky is jewish and he came up with (((gnomes))) conspiracy. He also wrote around 35-40% of dialogues in Arcanum.
He also once again confirmed that he designed it to be a dead end as tribute to the X-Files (I recall reading this before but couldn't find the source).

Lexx

Cipher
Damn, I completely forgot the GECK was mentioned in the Fo1 manual... and it says exactly what is inside and what it does. Yet Bethsoft went ahead and turned it into some magic bullshit machine.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Edit:
He also once again confirmed that he designed it to be a dead end as tribute to the X-Files (I recall reading this before but couldn't find the source).
They also said that such quest wouldn't happen today because someone would surely be offended and even when he was creating it he knew that gnomes - short creatures with big noses and love for money - would be associated with jews.

Egosphere

Arcane
Cool to finally get some answers on the gnome questline, and somewhat funny to know that Boyarsky was thinking the same thing as he was designing the quest
edit: also nice to know they think PST writing was top notch, which it was

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Terribly amused to find out that they're annoyed that Sierra was actually too hands-off on Arcanum and provided no feedback whatsoever on things that ultimately needed it (system mechanics, black mountain mines and other areas). :lol:

Troika pitched a Shadowrun game that didn't go anywhere. What could have been, eh?

White Wolf told Troika they couldn't use Caine. And then later said "Never mind, we're destroying the universe so nothing matters, do whatever you want." :M

Lexx

Cipher
Their surprise about the taxes they have to pay is once more underlining what terrible business people they were.

Diggfinger

Arcane
25m: Leonard talks about how Scott Lynch from Sierra helped Troika get their first contract, and even improved their earnings on Arcanum vis-a-vis the contractual minimum they were supposed to get.

He says something about royalties usually being a means for the developers to 'pay-back' the production costs of a game to the publish, i.e. it's only after a certain time you actually earn money from royalties.
I think he says with Arcanum they got '10 cents on the dollar' from the first copy sold.

Any1 with more knowledge of the industry care to clarify this?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Huh, updated my txt. I've always assumed Leonard was from some kind of working class Slavic-American background.
Boyarsky Name Meaning
Jewish (from Belarus and Ukraine): habitational name for someone from Boyary in Belarus or Boyarka in Ukraine. Americanized form of Polish Bojarski.
Source: Dictionary of American Family Names 2nd edition, 2022

Bojarski Name Meaning
Polish and Jewish (from Poland and Belarus): habitational name for someone from Bojary in Poland or (in the case of the Jewish name) from Boyary in Belarus. Polish: nickname derived from bojar ‘boyar’ (see Bojar ). Jewish (from Ukraine): habitational name for someone from Boyarka a place in Ukraine. Compare Boyarsky.

Bojar Name Meaning
Polish: status name or nickname from bojar ‘boyar’ (a member of the old Russian aristocracy). Compare Boyar.

Boyar Name Meaning
Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic): habitational name from a place called Boyary in Belarus Latvia or Lithuania. Americanized form of Polish Bojar.

:M

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Huh, updated my txt. I've always assumed Leonard was from some kind of working class Slavic-American background.
Boyarsky Name Meaning
Jewish (from Belarus and Ukraine): habitational name for someone from Boyary in Belarus or Boyarka in Ukraine. Americanized form of Polish Bojarski.

Bojarski Name Meaning
Polish and Jewish (from Poland and Belarus): habitational name for someone from Bojary in Poland or (in the case of the Jewish name) from Boyary in Belarus. Polish: nickname derived from bojar ‘boyar’ (see Bojar ). Jewish (from Ukraine): habitational name for someone from Boyarka a place in Ukraine. Compare Boyarsky.

Bojar Name Meaning
Polish: status name or nickname from bojar ‘boyar’ (a member of the old Russian aristocracy). Compare Boyar.

Boyar Name Meaning
Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic): habitational name from a place called Boyary in Belarus Latvia or Lithuania. Americanized form of Polish Bojar.

:M
:nocountryforshitposters:
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Боярские
Sry no english.

Although this surname is kinda cheesy, so most likely it could have been picked literally by anybody who wanted to rise in ranks by associating with Boyare i.e. aristocracy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom