Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
In past decade+ there were countless opportunities for him to move to cheaper Eastern/Central European country and open his own game studio.
Wall, you can see he doesn't want to do it himself. But this is an opportunity for anyone who can put two and two together. It means he wants to be invited into a running business. An opportunity for an already established eastern/central euro indie company. Maybe he'll even cut you a sweat deal. When are you making your game already?

I started my own dream rpg last month, but only worked for a week before other shit took over. If it wasn't for those western fucks who stole $55+k of my money "because of Ukraine", I wouldn't have to worry about other shit and could just do my thing.

Sòren

Arcane

This is more intelligent and thoughtful than anything Bethesda have done with the franchise in 15 years.

That's dumb. There's nothing nonsensical about having the vaults be just vaults for the purpose of making a safe space for nucular war survivors. Anything else, including a decades/centuries long social experiment for spaceship design purposes, is much wackier.

problem is also, that we do not see any central agency that collects and processes the data they get from those vault experiments. i didn't see the enclave doing that at least.

Diggfinger

Arcane
:incline:

Troika's Legacy​

Troika Games only existed for six years, and in that time, they released three RPGs, all of which have become cult classics. In a 2019 poll of the Top 101 PC RPGs of all time, RPG Codex users ranked Troika's games at #4 (Arcanum), #5 (Bloodlines) and #41 (The Temple of Elemental Evil). That is a stunning track record, and the post-mortem reflections on the legacy of Troika and their games serves to illustrate the fickle nature of the videogame market, and how easy it is for brilliant games to go unnoticed when they don't fit the current market trends or publisher demands.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Last edited:

Maldoror

Augur
Yeah. Worth a playthrough or two. Granted the only companion who I took along with me was Vicar Max, since I could tell from brief conversations with them that the entire companion cast (apart from the robot) were just awful.
I had a good deal of fun with the gunplay and creatively resolving quests. You can play as a "lawful evil" or "chaotic neutral" mercenary in this game and have a rather nice time.
I actually beat the game, twice even, which is more than I can say for most modern RPGs.

Testosterone drops with age so if you didn't have much to begin with, which most game designers don't, you are likely to turn into a massive pussy later on.

Might explain what's going on with older devs becoming indistinguishable from modern nu-devs, that or society no longer frowning upon weak men so they think they are finally free form the burden of having to live up to some masculine values.

According to Aquinas, effeminacy is a vice btw, because it leads to a lack of perseverance among other things:

https://www.churchpop.com/2018/08/2...acy-what-st-thomas-aquinas-says-in-his-summa/

Now i cannot imagine you can lead a gaming company or design a good game without perserverance, hard work and some degree of hardness. I don't know about Tim Cain specifically but there has to be a reason why so many older devs have turned into has beens if not nu-devs as i said (I.E., Ron Gilbert).
probably explains why I am such a fucking bitch now

Lyre Mors

Arcane

Tim's favorite sci-fi novel is Lord of Light. He even started designing an RPG around it! So unbelievably monocled.

Really enjoying his videos so far. His discussion on the true purpose of the Vaults in Fallout was fantastic. My official headcannon now.

Maldoror

Augur

Is that really how long two playthroughs took or is that just some generic picture you found?
A playthrough of the game is about 12-13 hours. I did a chunk of side content in one playthrough (quite enjoyable) and rushed the main quest in another.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
He's a pretty cool guy with a prestigious legacy.
But, holy shit, was The Outer Worlds a complete clusterfuck.

Sibylla

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag!
You should forgive him saying things like "i want arcanum to get fo3 treatment", game developers have universally bad taste.
If a game is superficially fun and can bamboozle a kid they consider it a success and a good game.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Wall, you can see he doesn't want to do it himself. But this is an opportunity for anyone who can put two and two together. It means he wants to be invited into a running business. An opportunity for an already established eastern/central euro indie company. Maybe he'll even cut you a sweat deal. When are you making your game already?
When? This year the serious work starts. It's also buffling to me that you have quite a few new seriously good indie studios on one hand and old legendary devs on the other side. Example: Iron Tower and Tim Cain. Yet they either never heared of each other or are completely blind to obvious creative and business opportunity. What blinds them and prvents them from getting creatively married: Ego or something else? Because do NOT underestimate Ego. Do not ROMANTICIZE Human Nature

It takes very little for REALLY GOOD THINGS to happen. One DM/message is sometimes all it takes. Yet for some reason such message stays written, gathering dust in draft folder. Never sent

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I talk about the Might & Magic 10 Design Proposal that Troika made in late 2003 and submitted in February 2004 to Ubisoft. Spoiler alert: we didn't get the contract.

Correction: the MM10 proposal isn't 10-15 pages long like I said in this video. It's 25 pages long. I was wordy.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I don't mean the outer worlds being interesting, etc. Just the video series. It's good to actually see him making appearances, even if I'm not the biggest fan of his most recent work.

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Example: Iron Tower and Tim Cain. Yet they either never heared of each other
I played Iron Tower's games. And I just finished playing a 4 day marathon of Fallout 1.

It's hard to describe with words how much MORE I appreciate Fallout 1's brief dialogues now, after looking looking into the abyss of the nu-rpgs. Iron Tower is one of the worst offenders of the modern long-winded loquacious tedious overwritten games. Just like Pillars was, and then Tranny, and then Numenera. Nobody likes it. But those writers can't stop doing it. I wouldn't want Tim wasted there. Would you? I guess you must like Iron Tower's works, Idk.

One of the reasons I want to make my own RPG is because no modern games bring satisfaction. I haven't enjoyed an RPG since 2004.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Agreed. Modern teams lack that *little something*. Chemical X. Tim could be secret sauce that makes Iron Tower's next game LEGENDARY. But for some reason we can't have nice things any more. Someone decided that. Maybe that someone is us. It's time to drag Tim and Avellone out from pension. We already know how to lure Tim into trap: pizza & dark chocolate

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
8ea01f2ab6061374732ac92d436280a4.jpg

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Listening to the latest vid. He says he played M&M 1 through 9 before even thinking about MM10's design. Compare that to the modern devs' snooty attitude towards older games when making a sequel. Best case they wouldn't even play them. Worst case they'll play them and then would "fix their toxic and exclusive mechanics".

Just 20 years passed and we live in a different, unrecognizable time.

Last edited:

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer

I talk about the Might & Magic 10 Design Proposal that Troika made in late 2003 and submitted in February 2004 to Ubisoft. Spoiler alert: we didn't get the contract.

Correction: the MM10 proposal isn't 10-15 pages long like I said in this video. It's 25 pages long. I was wordy.

At 3:00 is he implying that he was amongst the modders who wrote the unoffical patches for Troika's games? If so, much respect to this guy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom