Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

https://www.reuters.com/article/sony-cd-projekt-cyberpunk2077-microsoft-idUSKBN28S14I

CD Projekt not in talks with Microsoft about Cyberpunk 2077 withdrawal

WARSAW/GDANSK, Poland (Reuters) - Poland’s CD Projekt is not in talks with Xbox producer Microsoft about a possible withdrawal from sale of a console version of Cyberpunk 2077, the company’s chief executive said on Friday.

“We are not in such discussions with Microsoft at the moment,” Adam Kicinski said in a statement to Reuters.

Sony Corp said on Friday it is pulling CD Projekt SA’s Cyberpunk 2077 from its PlayStation Store and offering full refunds after gamers complained that it was rife with bugs, knocking nearly 20% off the value of the Polish company’s shares.

I wasn't thinking they were. But now I am. Whenever CDPR say something I shall now believe the opposite.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Yes? Or do you imply players played this game throught clenched teeth? That they somehow hated all this?
No - they LIKE it. Whole that experience they lived through was ATTRACTIVE for them.

Fallout and other post-apoc fiction are popular because they are reactionary. Basically nothing says progress was a mistake like nuclear annihilation, and that violence is righteous like killing one mutant or raider at a time. See also: zombies.

It's essentially an extreme version of 'the king restoring the throne', which is the most popular story archetype ever written.

Alternatively

"Wow, this thing is unacceptably buggy, content dry, and full of uneven or downright awful design decisions. We shouldn't be supporting this. And people tying their whole identity to brands who care little about them and laugh at them behind their backs at how gullible they are are pretty fucking stupid. If you like Cyberpunk, you're a sheep and a fool contributing to the slow death of gaming."

"OMG gyz. I have low standards! Let me have low standards and ruin everything for everyone else. DEVS ARE PEOPLE TOO Y'KNOW!"

Zer0wing

Cipher
DEVS ARE PEOPLE TOO Y'KNOW!"
Considering the salaries and what devs at even CDPR itself do, especially the preproduction teams, I don't really think they are. More like demigod creatures in suits who dare to feast during the plague and not give two shits about fellows working class bros like contractors, not to mention blue collars.
The most welcoming parts of CP2077, writing and art - done by people usually cherished inside CDPR. Which goes against the "art is only done under limitations and pressure" saying.

Turjan

Arcane
Is there a high class district or gated community somewhere? So far except for certain story missions the city looks equally run down everywhere, when it should be more like Brazil.
There are several. Charter Hill is for the corpos and looks like it, the actual Downtown is clean and with beautiful house entrances, there are the huge villas in North Oak (the road up there is secured by private companies, and the grounds patrolled by robots). Last not least, the whole Arasaka town is walled and inaccessible.
By the way, one way to get a glimpse at this is to take the motorway. The main motorway in Night City forms a complete circle that you can drive endlessly (not sure why you would, but hey). The character of this motorway changes drastically, depending on how wealthy the surrounding districts are. I found it quite interesting to get a feel for the place that way.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Fallout and other post-apoc fiction are popular because they are reactionary. Basically nothing says progress was a mistake like nuclear annihilation, and that violence is righteous like killing one mutant or raider at a time. See also: zombies.

Well, does it matter why it was popular? It just works. experience is attractive.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Geralt is basically a Walking Dildo!!!!

Women love Dildos!

Something they can use for sex any time.

Never complains.

Always stays hard!

Is always there to make them have an orgasm.

Doesn't talk to much.

Won't get pregnant.

Now you know about all the Dildos in Cyberpunk 2077.

just

Liturgist
e7khdzggox561.jpg
so true. these t poses, floating cigs and flying cars are nothing to me.
on job interviews when asked what i'm most proud of i say that i beat gothic 3 without patches
hr bitches immediately wet. men scared
usually they stare at me with astonishment dont even know what to ask next
so i just leave and on my way out i say
and vtmb too

Perkel

Arcane
Silverhand's an actually well written character. Neither Sapkowski, nor CDPR could salvage Ciri, because teen characters are boring by nature.

1. Silverhand
2. Mitch
3. Goro
4. Evelyn
5. Jackie

That is my top 5 when it comes to best written characters in 77

Zer0wing

Cipher
Geralt is basically a Walking Dildo!!!!

Women love Dildos!

Something they can use for sex any time.

Never complains.

Always stays hard!

Is always there to make them have an orgasm.

Doesn't talk to much.

Won't get pregnant.

Now you know about all the Dildos in Cyberpunk 2077.
Damn, Samurai has some inpsiring prose...

Actually they just want to rub your face in it. It's more of a querulous gesture that you will be forced to accept, and your children will be forced to accept. It's malice more than anything else, malice against the normal.

NATALT ofc, but it's a pretty common syndrome.

Waitaminnit, is Panam mixed race? I thought she was just Hiispanic or something? She could pass for Spanish or even Italian. She doesn't have any negroid features at all to my eyes.

Vavra seems to lean towards the "being there" immersion camp, like me, and like some of the others who quite like the game despite its flaws here. I can acknowledge all the problems with the game, but it nevertheless hooks me because I've wanted this kind of immersion since I first played in a 3-d virtual environment in Doom. I think at a gameplay level it is what it is, and although I think it will be more finished and polished eventually, it's never going to satisfy the persnickety gameplay tastes of some here, probably even not when modded (as some of the popamole is probably too baked in). But fuck 'em.

On another note: someone mentioned waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the thread about putting the Film Grain and Chromatic Aberration on. I'm one of those people who automatically switches those off in games, so that was one of the first things I did when I started playing this. But I just switched 'em on the other night to try it out, and that Codexer was right, they do actually add a subtle but noticeable level of atmosphere, and take the edge off the "plasticky" feel of some of the art design (I don't mean in terms of shiny bodies - that's pretty bad and probably unfinished graphics - but rather in removing some of the dildo feel from the game and making it more serious, doomy and decayed looking).

The characters with shiny skin have RealSkin or whatever. It's purpose is to make them look doll-like

mondblut

Arcane
"Magic made men want to try out being a woman so they could touch boobs 24/7, so now all the women are trannies! #BLM"

You wouldn't believe how mad this would make trannies. Not to mention feminazis.

And yes, replacing genitals at will with whatever fits the mood tonight is as transhumanist as replacing hands. It does fit the setting. What doesn't fit the setting is centering your identity around the brand and model of your pussy implant and expecting everyone to cheer and clap over your bravery and uniqueness.

When everyone is transhumanist, no one is "transgender".

Generic-Giant-Spider

Watching playthroughs of this game being held together by chewed gum and string, there is one side quest I like but they also fucked up MAJORLY.

"Happy Together." Basically some cops try to talk sense into an old partner of theirs who apparently suffered a deep loss and has broken down/become a recluse in his apartment. You manage to talk your way in and learn about his best friend who died through natural causes but looked upon him as though he were family. Along the way he talks about how his former cop buddies outside try but don't get it, so you have a good chat with him and leave.

Your guy comes back some time later and you see the cops outside the apartment, the guy cop who normally portrayed a tough guy attitude is in tears while the woman cop is trying to console him. He's sitting in a small pool of blood and there's police tape in front of the apartment letting you know that the tenant offed himself. This is actually a fairly good little side quest that has a conclusion that doesn't pull punches and how not every story in Night City ends happily.

EXCEPT the game tells you straight up "mission failed" which means you did the whole sequence wrong. It takes away any built up emotional impact because now you know there's a correct resolution that wasn't done correctly, it wasn't just a case of a guy so down in the dumps that nobody could really reach him.

So I looked it up and there's actually a somewhat humorous end that makes it much more lighthearted if you try to follow up on the guy's clues. Turns out his best pal was actually his pet turtle and you go back to tell the cops about this and they apparently get through to him and everybody ends up fine, mission success and all.

But it would have been much more effective if the mission complete came up whether it was suicide or not. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of players fuck this quest up their first go around and it's a rather bleak ending that plays into that whole "everyone has their own struggles" angle that dystopian fiction draws from. I really think telling the player there is a good ending by showing them they fail the mission if he offs himself takes away from the idea that Night City can chew you up and spit you out.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Actually they just want to rub your face in it. It's more of a querulous gesture that you will be forced to accept, and your children will be forced to accept. It's malice more than anything else, malice against the normal.

NATALT ofc, but it's a pretty common syndrome.

Waitaminnit, is Panam mixed race? I thought she was just Hiispanic or something? She could pass for Spanish or even Italian. She doesn't have any negroid features at all to my eyes.

Vavra seems to lean towards the "being there" immersion camp, like me, and like some of the others who quite like the game despite its flaws here. I can acknowledge all the problems with the game, but it nevertheless hooks me because I've wanted this kind of immersion since I first played in a 3-d virtual environment in Doom. I think at a gameplay level it is what it is, and although I think it will be more finished and polished eventually, it's never going to satisfy the persnickety gameplay tastes of some here, probably even not when modded (as some of the popamole is probably too baked in). But fuck 'em.

On another note: someone mentioned waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the thread about putting the Film Grain and Chromatic Aberration on. I'm one of those people who automatically switches those off in games, so that was one of the first things I did when I started playing this. But I just switched 'em on the other night to try it out, and that Codexer was right, they do actually add a subtle but noticeable level of atmosphere, and take the edge off the "plasticky" feel of some of the art design (I don't mean in terms of shiny bodies - that's pretty bad and probably unfinished graphics - but rather in removing some of the dildo feel from the game and making it more serious, doomy and decayed looking).

The characters with shiny skin have RealSkin or whatever. It's purpose is to make them look doll-like

Pah! More degeneracy! :)

Watching playthroughs of this game being held together by chewed gum and string, there is one side quest I like but they also fucked up MAJORLY.

"Happy Together." Basically some cops try to talk sense into an old partner of theirs who apparently suffered a deep loss and has broken down/become a recluse in his apartment. You manage to talk your way in and learn about his best friend who died through natural causes but looked upon him as though he were family. Along the way he talks about how his former cop buddies outside try but don't get it, so you have a good chat with him and leave.

Your guy comes back some time later and you see the cops outside the apartment, the guy cop who normally portrayed a tough guy attitude is in tears while the woman cop is trying to console him. He's sitting in a small pool of blood and there's police tape in front of the apartment letting you know that the tenant offed himself. This is actually a fairly good little side quest that has a conclusion that doesn't pull punches and how not every story in Night City ends happily.

EXCEPT the game tells you straight up "mission failed" which means you did the whole sequence wrong. It takes away any built up emotional impact because now you know there's a correct resolution that wasn't done correctly, it wasn't just a case of a guy so down in the dumps that nobody could really reach him.

So I looked it up and there's actually a somewhat humorous end that makes it much more lighthearted if you try to follow up on the guy's clues. Turns out his best pal was actually his pet turtle and you go back to tell the cops about this and they apparently get through to him and everybody ends up fine, mission success and all.

But it would have been much more effective if the mission complete came up whether it was suicide or not. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of players fuck this quest up their first go around and it's a rather bleak ending that plays into that whole "everyone has their own struggles" angle that dystopian fiction draws from. I really think telling the player there is a good ending by showing them they fail the mission if he offs himself takes away from the idea that Night City can chew you up and spit you out.

You can find a memorial plaque that he puts in a columbarium cemetery later on in the game too as a small detail.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
That's the moral of The Witcher 3.

So, this time we have Silverhand instead... I see...

Silverhand's an actually well written character. Neither Sapkowski, nor CDPR could salvage Ciri, because teen characters are boring by nature.

Silverhand is basically Tyler Durden. Being male, he's capable of having flaws, and thus is relatable, and his extreme actions make him appealing. Someone else said they were annoyed at the way the game makes you pretend like you hate him.

Female characters are boring because they aren't allowed to have flaws other than 'low self esteem.' That's why Ciri's heroic journey begins and ends at external validation.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess the success of Fallout means that millions are dreaming of living in an irradiated desert, pissing neon green, eating whatever bug they can catch and getting torn apart by huge ugly mutants? A-ok.
Yeah, I was thinking about another analogy - watching Freddie Mercury's video of "I want to break free" as a child apparently turns you gay.

My question was not about that at all. People like to play games, and they always protect games they like - to protect themselfs from a guilt.
There is also tolerance, that makes people less and less sensitive to a subject.
What is not propaganda for you, I definitaly accept as such.
Anyway, my questionwas different - you are very disgust of a game world, rigth?
You playing the game with a clenched teeth right? Like if you are struggling to overcome disgust?
You are playing to absorb that message game has, and to transfer it to every human being around, to warn them against trannies, corporations, and capitalism, rigth?
Not with any more disgust than what I played Witcher 3 with. While roaming Night City I often feel as a jaded Noir character, and get memories of Blade Runner 2049. I like the feeling of melancholy in Noir, so I can't say I feel disgusted.

But your whole argument is strange, as if a player should not be making a difference between fiction and real life, if I understand correctly.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I guess the success of Fallout means that millions are dreaming of living in an irradiated desert, pissing neon green, eating whatever bug they can catch and getting torn apart by huge ugly mutants? A-ok.
Yeah, I was thinking about another analogy - watching Freddie Mercury's video of "I want to break free" as a child apparently turns you gay.

My question was not about that at all. People like to play games, and they always protect games they like - to protect themselfs from a guilt.
There is also tolerance, that makes people less and less sensitive to a subject.
What is not propaganda for you, I definitaly accept as such.
Anyway, my questionwas different - you are very disgust of a game world, rigth?
You playing the game with a clenched teeth right? Like if you are struggling to overcome disgust?
You are playing to absorb that message game has, and to transfer it to every human being around, to warn them against trannies, corporations, and capitalism, rigth?
Not with any more disgust than what I played Witcher 3 with. While roaming Night City I often feel as a jaded Noir character, and get memories of Blade Runner 2049. I like the feeling of melancholy in Noir, so I can't say I feel disgusted.

But your whole argument is strange, as if a player should not be making a difference between fiction and real life, if I understand correctly.

Whatever else CP2077 is/was/should've been, it's a great Bladerunner screensaver.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom