Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
This introduces a major conflict with regard to the protagonist's motivations and presents a recurring impediment to the player's suspension of disbelief whenever engaging with said side content.
everything is already there. in bg2 you have money collection gateway. newbie would need 2 major quests to reach it, while veteran can get it quickly anyway.

And cp77 got same thing with rogue questline. And she even asks for same amount 15k! Problem is that its too low. 100k would probably be more like it, although with dlc money is weird so i dont know anymore. In vanilla scrapping 100k would mean reaching decent level

Gargaune

Magister
everything is already there. in bg2 you have money collection gateway. newbie would need 2 major quests to reach it, while veteran can get it quickly anyway.

And cp77 got same thing with rogue questline. And she even asks for same amount 15k! Problem is that its too low. 100k would probably be more like it, although with dlc money is weird so i dont know anymore. In vanilla scrapping 100k would mean reaching decent level
I've already referenced BG2 myself and what the difference is in handling the onset of urgency.

ind33d

Educated
the heists were probably intended as multiplayer destiny raids. stealing the chip was probably meant as a tutorial for co-op. they probably intended for a whole party of real players to do the arasaka raid and fight smasher at the end, but once the MP was cut, the narrative got all fucked up

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Heck-a-bloomin' crikey, someone's gone and done it, they've made a conversational AI mod for the NPCs.

Haven't tried fiddling around with it yet, but the video clip is quite impressive (I mean it's janky, but still impressive). Definitely the future of NPCs in these types of games.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I wrote about one of those mods here while it was still in development.

He could have asked Claire what's she packing under the coverall.

Gargaune

Magister
Heck-a-bloomin' crikey, someone's gone and done it, they've made a conversational AI mod for the NPCs.

Haven't tried fiddling around with it yet, but the video clip is quite impressive (I mean it's janky, but still impressive). Definitely the future of NPCs in these types of games.
You see these tech demo mods in stuff like Skyrim or Cyberpunk and they're not that interesting in and of themselves, but the promise for the future is fascinating. This is the real, massive potential of generative AI chat and voice models, truly dynamic informational interactions between player and game - dialogue went from keyword prompts for preset responses to preset lines and responses and now it'll move again to freeform queries and dynamic responses. It's not gonna happen tomorrow or next Friday, but we'll probably see mature models in the later part of the next ten years and the advent of genuine detective gameplay for the first time since the medium's inception. And then you'll have your Fallout remake where you actually ask Aradesh about a water chip and he'll formulate a bespoke answer based on what he's been configured to know from the game's info library.

On the downside, it also pretty much seals the fate of singleplayer games requiring cloud connectivity at all times. The always-online holy grail of grubby publishers, and it'll work because, also for the first time since the medium's inception, it'll present genuine added value for the player.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe not for us, but for the kids. For me it's still just a chatbot. In the best of cases, conversations would look like those with the robots in Westworld.

AwesomeButton

Patron
The first thing I would say to Johnny if I'm being in-character would be to ask whatnchance do we have against Arasaka, and won't it save us all a lot of inconvenience if I just blow my brains out right now ih the bathroom.

Gargaune

Magister
Maybe not for us, but for the kids. For me it's still just a chatbot.
Like I said, it's nowhere close yet, but I suspect we'll see some worthwhile progress over the next decade. I envisage future gamedev positions responsible for compiling encyclopedic diegetic databanks as well as behavioural and informational AI models for NPCs - i.e. a "bible" for the AI to pull from, and individual configurations defining what an actor might know, what they can learn, how willing they are to share or accept information etc. There's tons to figure out, nevermind execute.

In the best of cases, conversations would look like those with the robots in Westworld.
Sorry, can't comment, ain't seen it.

The first thing I would say to Johnny if I'm being in-character would be to ask whatnchance do we have against Arasaka, and won't it save us all a lot of inconvenience if I just blow my brains out right now ih the bathroom.
Metagaming may present hilarious results...

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Come to think of it, it might be incongruous if you're having lively conversations with random NPCs and yet the main quest characters and companions are still on rails, meticulously voice acted with a few responses, and otherwise mute.

But I think they'd have to be like that, because whereas NPC chatters making random errors doesn't matter, and would even be amusing, if a MQ character goes off on some AI tangent or internal curlicue of misunderstanding and makes some irrelevant, incongruous response, and/or doesn't mention some crucial fact related to the MQ, that would be your game borked, and they couldn't afford to do that.

I suppose you could have the important characters doing inconsequential chatter too, but it would have to be demarcated from the main, informative, deliberately voice-acted conversations somehow.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Chatbot conversations iwth NPCs are the bethesda goofball approach to design. CDPR's approach is the interactive movie.

The real barrier to improved roleplaying on PC, compared to PnP is having mechanics that make the player actually care about what he says to the chatbot, and actually care about dying in game.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Fun game, story is ok (for a game, that is), shooty part is good enough for a casual like me. There was even one sidequest that almost made me care (although I don't remember what it was about). Hey but Nightcity is really gorgeous, nice to wander around. But why the hell isn't there a baroque/renaissance music radio station, what were they thinking at CDPR ?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
40yxlylt7s461.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
This introduces a major conflict with regard to the protagonist's motivations and presents a recurring impediment to the player's suspension of disbelief whenever engaging with said side content.

15k in vanilla was a lot if you didn't do sidecontent. Not anymore in 2.0 though as guns sell for ton of money often beating a lot reward money.

roguefrog

Liturgist
I never got the carjack quest line to start in the DLC. Already completed everything there. Apparently there should be a steering wheel icon on the map but it never showed up. It's bugged.

After going through most of the game as a stealth-hacker, then stealth-hacker-samurai, I swapped around perks and cybernetics to try tech weapons. Specially the two-shooter hand cannons that do ridiclous single bullet damage. It's fiiiine for a while as a bit of change of pace, and you really do gib the gonks, but hacker is way better.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
lol, three playthroughs and I never once thought to check Yorinobu's computer on the wall during the Heist (the one that Evelyn goes to to change the mood music in the penthouse investigative BD, and spends a bit of time fiddling with). Turns out it has Saburo Arasaka's diary on an encrypted shard, and there's some nice flavour insight into his thoughts, and a bit more detail about how Hellman squealed about Yorinobu nicking the Relic. But the computer also reveals, in an email exchange between Yorinobu and Netwatch, that Netwatch had already been in contact with Yorinobu, so that must have been where Evelyn got the idea to make a deal with Netwatch.

There really is a hell of a lot of little detail squirreled away in the game, including many cross-connections between characters. The Youtuber Sam Bram is big on joining up the dots. I think a lot of it was unfinished, but there's enough to show they had some quite intricate plans for the game at one time.

Jason Liang

Arcane
The game's plot is both derivative and homage to Neuromancer. For example, after my first playthrough, I felt like the best ending was to destroy Mikoshi- Arasaka can't be allowed to possess that technology. Giving Alt access to Mikoshi felt wrong too but I figured if V merges with Alt maybe V can act as a human check on Alt. But after seeing the video on the rogue AIs and how Alt AI probably isn't Alt anyway, just using Alt as a skin, helping the AI absorb Mikoshi seems just as bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom