Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
imagine if Musk will actually do this
If Musk liked videos games so much that he bought them for 20 million instead of 20 bucks, he'd have already done that a long time ago.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Will we ever get the van buren we all deserve?
The Van Buren that we deserve will have nothing to do with the IP that Bethesda owns.
Will we get a post-apoc, classic Fallout style RPG in the scope of Van Buren? That's certainly possible.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Damn he's going all out on twatterz about seemingly everything, calm september rage? :P

:excellent:

It's simply his bithdate, when though about things you could have done come down on man. He is a Virgo after all.
It's my birthday too. I drunk some wine...

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also this shit lmao - Bethesda will be good under Microsoft lmao.
I would bash rigth now this shithead cephalic proccess to bloody pulp, it's hopeless.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, he's not giving a shit. He seems to be on a roll, and I love it. He's not having any nonsense.

What a time to be alive.
chris-avellone.jpg

Latelistener

Arcane
Probably, but Fallout is dead and gone. Everything the creators were trying to portray back then with their original game was already screwed with Fallout 2. New Vegas was good, but it will never happen again. At the very least because it puts Bethesda in a bad light especially when people realized that some SoCal dudes managed to make a better game in 18 months.

And Chris, I have very little hope that he will have any major role in any of his future projects.

I sound like a boomer, but I also believe that the old guard failed us (Outer Worlds). It's up to the new generation of devs now.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Yes rebuilding civilization is fun and how everything recovers from the apocalypse really adds some interest dynamics to the world. But there would come a point when the scars have totally healed up and you are not really rebuilding anything anymore, and it will no longer be post-post-apoc, but rather not-apoc. I think Fallout 2 and New Vegas are more or less around the sweet spot, add another 50 years and it will be problematic.

I think, that's a problem with post apocalyptic stories in general. There's only a limited set of stories you can tell in a real post-apocalypse, because it always comes down to "basic survival", "finding out who did this" and "will there be anything else?" To be honest, for me the story of the Fallout World ended after NV. We survived the world after the war, destroyed the ghosts of the powers that fucked everything up and in the end the new world is as messy and complicated as the new one. Because War never changes or something like that.

Everything else is just a story for the sake of a story or nostalgia.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Probably, but Fallout is dead and gone. Everything the creators were trying to portray back then with their original game was already screwed with Fallout 2. New Vegas was good, but it will never happen again. At the very least because it puts Bethesda in a bad light especially when people realized that some SoCal dudes managed to make a better game in 18 months.

And Chris, I have very little hope that he will have any major role in any of his future projects.

I sound like a boomer, but I also believe that the old guard failed us (Outer Worlds). It's up to the new generation of devs now.
Yeah. This reminds me of the streamer Cohh, who was raving about Fallout and how he loves anything Fallout (while he was streaming Fallout 3, mind you). The system, the mechanics, etc., all mean nothing to him. As long as it is Fallout, he will love it as he loves the setting.

Fast forward a few years and Fallout76 came out, and he can't say enough bad things about it. In fact, he has practically banned all discussion of Fallout76 on his channel.

When you alienate such diehard fans, that IP is dead.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
You may recall that period of time when Avellone seemed to be sucking up to Bethesda (trying to get a job as a Fallout guy), followed by suddenly openly trashing them, suggesting that he was explicitly told that they would never let him work on a Fallout title again. This is his only hope.
Is sucking up to someone in game development done through supplicating tweets like that? I would have thought that's a joke, exaggerating for comedic effect. If it's sincere, it would be cheap and degrading at the same time.

It's both. That's how it works these days. Plausible deniability as needed.

Yoomazir

Educated
Yeah. This reminds me of the streamer Cohh, who was raving about Fallout and how he loves anything Fallout (while he was streaming Fallout 3, mind you). The system, the mechanics, etc., all mean nothing to him. As long as it is Fallout, he will love it as he loves the setting.

Fast forward a few years and Fallout76 came out, and he can't say enough bad things about it. In fact, he has practically banned all discussion of Fallout76 on his channel.

This is back when Turd76 had just released:

deuxhero

Arcane
Really, if they want a "fresh" Fallout without the rebuilding interfering with stories, just set it in one of the many parts of the US that hasn't been mentioned.

Florida? Only the very edges (where the military bases are) and maybe Tallahassee would be primary targets for nukes. Instead the ruin comes from the fact that the state has endured a hundred years of hurricanes without maintenance (only in post-NV times has the state started converting to buried cables instead of just resigning itself to fixing broken lines after every storm). The swamps and forest would be new environment (there was some forest at the start of Fallout 2, but barely anything is done with it) and mutant gators. The state's roads are fairly low maintenance (no freezing) and would be a good excuse to make the most dangerous areas not those farther from the starting town, but those deepest into the wilderness. Also space program stuff, which is perfect excuse to go deeper into the Enclave/House's plan for sending survivors into space (what contingencies were there? Was it even plausible?).

Cael

Arcane

This is back when Turd76 had just released:

Yeah. He went the other way really fast. It is pretty hilarious. From "Hype! Hype! Hype!" to "It is so shit, I can spend hours ranting about it, so I am stopping the discussion here." in what must be record time.

Shadenuat

Arcane
and the setting and the story and the choices and characters and

old games did 4/5 things right. 1/5 may be combat/gameplay but 4/5 is a lot

new games tried hard to fix it, but with all their respect to old

none of them are Fallout, or Arcanum.
you cannot beat an RPG with masterful setting. and if it also has powerful character building, you are trying to beat a colossus. doesn't matter if old game has poorer combat/dungeons, yours would still be stomped by a well realised setting alone anyway.

Wunderbar

Arcane
1) getting cancelled
2) becoming redpilled
3) using soyboy face ironically <== you are here
4) using soyboy face unironically
5) calling people cucks and retards
6) becoming a nazi and a misogynist

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom