Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm mystified that the Codex has had a major hard-on for this game as the 2nd coming of C&C RPGs and on release day there is a meager 5 page thread of pretty lukewarm posts. Compare that to BG3 which is supposedly the worst RPG of all time and I could barely read the 25+ pages that had accumulated on release day.

Prestigious Posers are Prestigious. At the end of the day, your average 'Dexer wants to fuck frog girls, Sharess waifus, and maybe bears. Let's just stop pretending there is some higher standard here. The numbers of posts between the 2 games release day threads says it all, doesn't it?

Lemming42

Arcane
The key to understanding that is to realise that people on this site don't play games. The BG3 thread - and the Starfield thread a month later - was like, 20% actual discussion from those of us who were playing the game and wanted to exchange thoughts about it, and 80% people either posturing about how much the game sucked without playing it, or worse, using the thread to write their inane irrelevant political manifestos that nobody gave a fuck about. The BG3 thread in particular was agony for that.

Colony Ship obviously isn't gonna draw the same kind of crowd; there's no Cool Creds to be gained by bashing it and the game isn't high profile enough for people to be hijacking the thread to post about Israel or race/IQ links or whatever the fuck stupid shit people sperg about, so you have a thread populated solely by people who actually play games. Which, on the Codex, is a small proportion of the userbase nowadays.

I liked BG3 a lot and quite like Colony Ship so far, for what it's worth.

Keeping the discussion on Colony Ship: the skill-by-use system is cool but it does seem to slip a little into a game of "find the lower skill check". Can't pass [Persuasion 4]? Go find a [Persuasion 3], click it, then go back to [Persuasion 4].

Similar issue to AoD where you have no real way to predict what skill checks are going to pop up, so you're perpetually just caught out. It's a bit better than AoD in that there's only three conversation skills now and the ones that a quest might require are occasionally telegraphed in advance, but it still feels a bit like the game's just throwing random checks at you. I think I'd prefer percentage-based checks rather than hard skill level checks, especially since this game seems to have some interesting fail states.

Takamori

Learned
I'm playing the game, also BG3 thread is infested with schizo posting while CS thread people come here to talk about the game.

janior

Arcane
Patron
I'm mystified that the Codex has had a major hard-on for this game as the 2nd coming of C&C RPGs and on release day there is a meager 5 page thread of pretty lukewarm posts. Compare that to BG3 which is supposedly the worst RPG of all time and I could barely read the 25+ pages that had accumulated on release day.

Prestigious Posers are Prestigious. At the end of the day, your average 'Dexer wants to fuck frog girls, Sharess waifus, and maybe bears. Let's just stop pretending there is some higher standard here. The numbers of posts between the 2 games release day threads says it all, doesn't it?
JoinedAug 1, 2019

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

JoinedAug 1, 2019

Yeah 4 years ago is super newfag right? Mr. Nov 9, 2015. You also have an avatar of one of the shittiest characters in RPG history. Any other hot takes faggot?

janior

Arcane
Patron

JoinedAug 1, 2019

Yeah 4 years ago is super newfag right? Mr. Nov 9, 2015. You also have an avatar of one of the shittiest characters in RPG history. Any other hot takes faggot?
Messages447

None

Scholar
Similar issue to AoD where you have no real way to predict what skill checks are going to pop up, so you're perpetually just caught out. It's a bit better than AoD in that there's only three conversation skills now and the ones that a quest might require are occasionally telegraphed in advance, but it still feels a bit like the game's just throwing random checks at you. I think I'd prefer percentage-based checks rather than hard skill level checks, especially since this game seems to have some interesting fail states.
I think there is no perfect solution. The current one forces me to live with my build and choices, albeit at the expense of heavy metagaming. A percentage-based solution would let me get what I want more often, but then I'd just be savescumming. I prefer the former, as it has more impact on keeping me playing the game instead of the latter.

JoinedAug 1, 2019

Stop fighting ffs, you are both newfags. I, meanwhile, joined the Codex when your parents were still using photosynthesis in Pre-Cambrian seas.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Game looks sick, unfortunately I'm in China rn behind the firewall and can't use Steam until I go back to the States. It seems like it is day-1-playable, but is it likely that any major patches are coming? If so, I don't feel too bad about having to wait

Lemming42

Arcane
I think there is no perfect solution. The current one forces me to live with my build and choices, albeit at the expense of heavy metagaming. A percentage-based solution would let me get what I want more often, but then I'd just be savescumming. I prefer the former, as it has more impact on keeping me playing the game instead of the latter.
The solution is, I think, to have fail states that feel narratively satisfying and encourage the player to live with their failures - even reward the player for their failures, to some extent, by giving them new content. In that way, the percentage-based checks work because the game will remain enjoyable whether or not the player succeeds a check.

The ultimate example I always think of is getting captured in Mariposa base in Fallout. You have to fuck up to get put in that cell in the first place, but when you're in the cell, you'll keep playing because the whole escape scenario is great fun and narratively interesting, perhaps even moreso than doing it the "professional" way and never getting captured. Players who succeed all their skill checks at Mariposa will have a great time infiltrating and destroying the base, but players who fail at everything will have an equally great time playing through the escape-the-cell scenario and having to reclaim their equipment and talk their way past the prison guards.

A minor example I found in Colony Ship is a trapped door with a turret behind it. There's a perception check to notice the trap, then an electronics check to disarm it. I failed the electronics check and thus was forced to destroy a turret in combat before it got a chance to rip my team apart. Very brief fight, but pretty fun, and a decent example of how you can make failed skill checks fun in a way that encourages the player to keep playing rather than reload the game.

Quillon

Arcane
just started the gaym; wish the dialogue text was centered vertically, RIP my neck staring at the upper right of the screen on every convo, also a togglable follow-cam like in ATOM woulda been nice

anyway, hope it is/will be a success for IT

Quillon

Arcane
Um, try only moving your eyes?

good idea I'll try it!

I recently switched from 17 to 24 inch monitor, maybe I ain't fully adapted yet/maybe I'm too close whatever but still why stare at the corner of the screen when you can just stare to the right lol, its all dedicated dialogue area anyway, just a feedback

just

Liturgist
just read the intro
thats enough info to get you through the game

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
The key to understanding that is to realise that people on this site don't play games. The BG3 thread - and the Starfield thread a month later - was like, 20% actual discussion from those of us who were playing the game and wanted to exchange thoughts about it, and 80% people either posturing about how much the game sucked without playing it, or worse, using the thread to write their inane irrelevant political manifestos that nobody gave a fuck about. The BG3 thread in particular was agony for that.
That's funny because I mostly remember Grauken saying how amazing BG3 is, while not really playing it.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

The game was in early access for more than a year and there was a dedicated threads back then

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

The game was in early access for more than a year and there was a dedicated threads back then
+ how many pages on early access thread on release day?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Nah, we just want to play good games that are fun to play. And shit on bad things that are funny.

Look at Grimoire release thread for an example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom