Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore Kickstarter is Live

It'll end at $85.3k. Mark my words.
The Codex should do a prediction competition. Winner gets a custom tag :)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If it makes funding and development, you know you all will play it.
Eh, not necessarily. There are SO MANY goddamn marginal games out there nowadays. 10 years ago I would have sold my mom to play something like, for instance, Legends of Dawn. Today, it's just another sorta RPG whatever game that I heard sucked so I'm not even going to bother looking into it. I have plenty of "A" and "B" games to play or revisit in my library. A "C" game just isn't worth my time.

Last edited:

Shannow

Waster of Time
List all those decent RPGs (especially those that are similar to what Guido proposes). I'd really like to share your problem. (As long as your problem is having so many good RPGs that you don't know where to start, and not simply being full of shit.)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Um, I didn't say RPGs, I said "games". But let's see ... I currently have a new playthrough of Wizardry 8 going; Omerta: City of Gangsters is fun and has light RPG elements; gog just rereleased the original Wasteland and that's proving to be really good (again); I started the Geneforge series earlier in the year, and never got too far, but hope to find the time to get back to it; I should really get around to finishing Temple of Elemental Evil; FTL and Zafehouse Diaries both have interesting character elements ... and these are just some of the games I have on my desktop. Are some of these games old? Do some of them fail the "REAL RPG" test? Sure, but they're still good, and I'd still rather revisit any of them than play any game that's shit, whether it meets your stylistic qualifications or not.

If you insist that a pure first-person dungeon blobber is the only thing that will do because that's the only kind of game that has any meaning in this otherwise godless universe, then hey, fine, I'm sad for you, but fine. Throw money at anything fitting that rigid mold and play the hell out of it if it ever gets made, regardless of how shit it is. If a game's format is more important to you than whether it's actually good, I sincerely wish that Guido can give you the dopamine rush you're hoping for ... and I'm sure he can, since quality apparently isn't an issue for you. In the meantime, why don't you play Dungeon Lords 2012, the Arkania remake, Gothic 4, Risen 2, etc.? Those are all RPGs, right?

Last edited:

Shannow

Waster of Time
So full of shit after all. I honestly hadn't had my hopes up.

Your argument was stupid from the beginning, but I required further explanation from you to realize it. Which means I'm stupid, too. Damn, everything is turning to shit. Where's the promised incline?

Fun snippet:
Guido claims to not have realized that the campaign has already failed. "11% funded after a few days! Yay..."
And that although the campaign was so lavishly endorsed by the "hardcore" RPG crowd.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
In the dev diary he explains that they hardly get any press coverage from the US, although they tried. Most coverage is only german media, but one can't see much interest from the community either. Eventually its up to the press how and when they give preference to it. But then you could ask: why don't they give him press coverage? The most obvious answer is: they don't care, it doesn't convince them... whatsoever, which again leads back to what ~RAGING BONER~ said: they are just not interested in this.

Also funny is that in the comments section of the KS someone questioned the name of the game and Guido explained they didn't take the name giving easily, but out of all available options this was chosen to be the best from the focus group. However he doesn't realize that all options were shit. Or would you call your game 'Endergast'?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
We knew from the start that blobbers are a niche market and that no blobber made a lot of money on either Kickstarter or Indiegogo so far. I think Cleve came up with 20 grand after two campaigns.

V_K

Arcane
We knew from the start that blobbers are a niche market and that no blobber made a lot of money on either Kickstarter or Indiegogo so far. I think Cleve came up with 20 grand after two campaigns.
Well, Shaker goth cancelled at 250 grand or so. Though they made bulk of it before they announced it was a blobber, so maybe you have a point here.

Fuck Guido....Charles is the only blobber maker worth a damn, in this here town.
I had some reservations asking this, knowing the developer read these forums, but still: what's so good about that game with abysmal writing and almost nothing to do other than fight tons of identical trash mobs?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Certainly the Shaker team watches this too and when they see how niche blobbers have become, they most likely ditch any future attempts of their own (as will other companies). I've always hoped that they start another campaign, but they didn't. At first they blame it on themselves, but when these blobbers repeatedly aren't able to fund a decent amount of backers there is obviously something else wrong. Grimrock+ or MMX+ is the future, until someone new comes up with a blobber despite not even having a quarter million funding. The hope basically relies on small indie companies producing titles with much less money. This doesn't make their games bad, but mostly limited or minimalistic :(

So guys, it's still possible to create the Codex blobber :), because no one else will help us in our misery.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't think blobbers are that niche. Both Wizardry and Might and Magic have a huge fanbase, and could still make for a very successful KS campaign if done right (and with right kind of people involved, like JVC for Might and Magic and maybe DW Bradley and/or Ian and Linda Currie for Wizardry -- even Brenda could've been successful if she had pitched Shaker as Wizardry 9 from the start and had a good pitch).

V_K

Arcane
Hmmm, I did some analyzing, and it seems like the problem of this kicktarter is not the low number of backers but a low average pledge per backer. It's currently at 33$, while, for example Hero-U had it at 67$, and Golem Arkana - at 236$. I.e. it's not that the people aren't interested enough in the game itself, but they aren't interested enough in the kickstarter's higher tiers.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Golem Arkana - at 236$

I think they had some help, though I can't prove it.
When you add all minimum pledges together you'll reach a sum of 408.810 which is still 100.000 below the final amount.
If every single backer adds an additional 25$ on top of their minimum pledge, then it's still 50.000 below the initial goal.

This is either a desperate attempt from people who saw the campaign fail, and invested all leftovers from their monthly wage (which I think is unrealistic given the high amount of average pledge) OR - what I consider much more likely - some rich people, publishers, marketeers, barons, whatever made gigantic financial injections. If you got these rich people skyrocketing your project on your side, then it's great, but many projects haven't got this luck. GODUS was also a project that would have failed if not "out of a wonder" they "suddenly" reached the funding goal.

V_K

Arcane
That may be true, and Golem Arkana is certainly an extreme example, but still - most successful RPG kickstarters have an average pledge per backer in the 45-65$ range.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Golem Arkana - at 236$

When you add all minimum pledges together you'll reach a sum of 408.810 which is still 100.000 below the final amount.
If every single backer adds an additional 25$ on top of their minimum pledge, then it's still 50.000 below the initial goal.

This is either a desperate attempt from people who saw the campaign fail, and invested all leftovers from their monthly wage (which I think is unrealistic given the high amount of average pledge) OR - what I consider much more likely - some rich people, publishers, marketeers, barons, whatever made gigantic financial injections. If you got these rich people skyrocketing your project on your side, then it's great, but many projects haven't got this luck. GODUS was also a project that would have failed if not "out of a wonder" they "suddenly" reached the funding goal.

You severely underestimate the willingness of the miniature market to spend cash compared to video games and P&P-players.

The miniature-market is notorious for the fact that the profit margins are higher and the customers less niggardly.

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Golem Arkana - at 236$

I don't think so. If you check Kicktraq, you can see the curve follows most succesful Kickstarters:
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1613260297/golem-arcana/

Besides, as Grunker also mentions, you can here pay to get extra miniatures, and those people are nuts and made of money.. The same goes for when you can get more cards, machines, etc. (Check Kingdom Death, Hex, Warmachine, etc)

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Interesting, I thought that with the computer age most people moved away from material toys like that, such as many young people prefer Mass Effect, instead of playing LEGO.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Interesting, I thought that with the computer age most people moved away from material toys like that, such as many young people prefer Mass Effect, instead of playing LEGO.
We're talking about a few thousand people here, not the entire population of the US.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Just saw The 7th Guest which has 500 less backers but more money already. Their pitch is lol. I considered doubling my pledge for Deathfire, but find there is still too less information about the game. Kinda weird since I pledged triple amount to the Shaker campaign, but that's because they wanted to create something like Wizardry 8 (even though their pitch was retarded).

Alchemist

Arcane
We're talking about a few thousand people here, not the entire population of the US.
I suspect the minis market is a bit bigger than that. Many Pathfinder / D&D players buy them, and people who just collect minis to have or paint. It's kind of a different league than computer games. One big difference is you get tangible, real objects out of the deal. Some people probably see that as more valuable than the ephemeral experience of a video game.

From the Reaper Bones KS:
wmeHHTn.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom