Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Zeriel

Arcane
The shit is starting to hit the fan. One of the streamers had an interview with a dev who said they wanted to "simplify the stats". Yeah, further than 3. Expect to hear more about this later I guess, or just look it up if you're curious, everything about it so far is just viewers writing unofficial writeups like so.

In general, it seems like they're trying to use the D2 superficial nostalgia to sell a D3 rehash. Maybe whipped up in a hurry because of the backlash to Immortal. That would explain why it seems to be in such a pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha state, where designers say "I don't know what we want to do" about countless core design questions.

user

Savant
How does "system like Path of Exile vaal skills" work?

You need souls to cast them (monster kills). At first they look similar to a "cooldown" spell, but if you build around them you can cast them virtually non-stop and they are very fast clearing speed builds.

Sykar

Arcane
The shit is starting to hit the fan. One of the streamers had an interview with a dev who said they wanted to "simplify the stats". Yeah, further than 3. Expect to hear more about this later I guess, or just look it up if you're curious, everything about it so far is just viewers writing unofficial writeups like so.

In general, it seems like they're trying to use the D2 superficial nostalgia to sell a D3 rehash. Maybe whipped up in a hurry because of the backlash to Immortal. That would explain why it seems to be in such a pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha state, where designers say "I don't know what we want to do" about countless core design questions.

D3 is not even complex or deep, just has the appearance that it does. Most of the stats are damage increasing, some defense increasing, an like 2-3 do stuff like increase pickup radius or give more gold, yawn. On the surface it seems complex but it has the depth of a puddle.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Maybe whipped up in a hurry

Including the logo it seems. Am I crazy or does this look like a very convincing fake news fan "leak"?

Diablo-4.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
How does "system like Path of Exile vaal skills" work?

You fill it up by killing monsters.
POE does have cooldown skills though just not that much. Also it has a way for some to skip cooldown by expending charges and stuff.

PrettyDeadman

I love blizzard cinematic trailers. Their character and story are often Avellone level edgy (in a good way).

I wouldn't worry too much about stats or talents or whatever since they probably don't want to anger the fans any more than they already have so expect them to change everything multiple times before the game comes out sometime in the next millennium.

The bolded part, however, I don't see them changing.

They had a few twitch streamers play a 10 minute vertical slice.

The good: is its going back to grittier, darker roots.

The bad: is its some kind of open world mmo hybrid thing.

The really bad: they dumbed down character development even more. Stats are gone in favor of just "attack" and "defense", the skill selection is less than D3 and the "talent" section is a linear path with two choices at the end.

I really feel like Blizzard doesn't understand why PoE took over the ARPG user base and why that game is so successful. Dumbing down an already watered down D3 system is so far in the opposite direction of the right call it really makes me wonder who even makes the calls there.

Perkel

Arcane
The shit is starting to hit the fan. One of the streamers had an interview with a dev who said they wanted to "simplify the stats". Yeah, further than 3.

Can't be more further than D3 because D3 pretty much had all +/- dps affixes regarding attack and defense. there wasn't anything there that could change how build works. So whatever you have 3 affixes each giving you +DPS or one doesn't matter.

On other hand they said that they want affixes to be more build orienting rather than just simple +/- to stats. So i am guessing they are butchering stats and instead they will focus on more interesting stuff*

*assuming this is not fake news and they lied.

for an example:

Legendary items further allow you to modify skills to customize play style. Allow you to further your skills/talents more than you would through the trees/skills alone. Hundreds of legendary items being designed. More about modding existing talents and skills than adding flat damage.

On talent trees – taking feedback on this. Talent trees in the demo are as they currently stand in the game. Quinn noted they look simple and shallow. They want legendary items to add a lot of that depth to the talents. All of it is still being developed.

Talent trees will be expanded upon in expansions, but to what degree, they don't know yet.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Can we still only have 5 active skills at a time like Diablo 3? Or can I go back to mapping my entire keyboard like every other arpg out there.

D4 Art-style and tone seems incline.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Can we still only have 5 active skills at a time like Diablo 3? Or can I go back to mapping my entire keyboard like every other arpg out there.

Just like PoE? Or Grim Dawn where the combat isn't fluid enough to support more than a couple of active attack skills per build? No, really, what are these ARPGs you are talking about?

Deleted Member 16721

I'm excited for it. The graphics and presentation are nice and I suspect it will lead to wanting to play the game a lot. I'm glad they went with a more muted graphics style and the open world aspect sounds like incline. I'm in. :)

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Wasn't the development of D4 rebooted in a panic as a reaction to the backlash against Immortal?

This is so early in development that it's almost a glorified mission statement. This isn't even a vertical slice.

Yep, it really looks like they shat their pants last fall and spent the past year producing a trailer and cobbling together a pre-alpha demo from the old D3 engine.

But of course fans are lapping it up because modern Western "men" are

12396266-6932693-Eric_Butts_posted_the_video_of_him_watching_the_Episode_IX_tease-m-3_1555526192430.jpg

I like the general art direction though and if they stick with that there will at least be that.

Last edited:

user

Savant

Just like PoE? Or Grim Dawn where the combat isn't fluid enough to support more than a couple of active attack skills per build? No, really, what are these ARPGs you are talking about?

The skills you have available in Diablo are fewer than the skills you can bind in Poe...

Btw they just announced Overwatch 2 as well... It looks as if they are trying to raise their stocks, sell them and run away.

Atchodas

Augur
I really want to to be excited about this but at this point I know better than that. I can only hope I'm wrong and this will be decent game, fingers crossed

Shadenuat

Arcane
I have never seen such a 180 turn in visuals from something which made me want to vomit to something which I want to hug and jump with it into a demon portal to hell. did you see that two hander barb holding? it's not even oversized!

If game maybe has some single mode akin to TQ I would even consider buying th

diablo 4 will not have an offline mode
nevermind.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Giving the druid thunderstorm powers instead of fire is a nice touch

The only power a druid needs:

On an unrelated note I have come to realize that all Marvel wants to be is a live action battle anime and if they were honest with that then the movies might become more watchable. Thor: Ragnarok went in this direction and people shat their pants.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Gameplay is decline.
Decline from what? I don't think D3 has good gameplay. It feels fluid to play, but that's all Blizz games ever.

The entire point of these games are to be mindless loot grinders.

That's the worst thing they can possibly be, though. You can have challenge, different builds, atmosphere, C&C. A hack and slash is a failure in my eyes if the only thing going for it is the loot grinding.

Codex Year of the Donut
That's the worst thing they can possibly be, though. You can have challenge, different builds, atmosphere, C&C. A hack and slash is a failure in my eyes if the only thing going for it is the loot grinding.
What left click simulators actually have those things?
Path of Exile touts "different builds" but the reality is that everyone just copies from a handful of builds on the forums because nobody wants to play a gimp.

vota DC

Augur
Diablo still female
Nigger barbarian
Only 3 classes??
:hahano:
Lilith isn't Diablo
Paladin was a nigger in D2
There are more than 3 classes.

But original lore says nigga are sorcerers then in D2 black alpha nigga becomes Independent stronk white woman but they realized It was an error: you have even Witch doctor in D3 because ooga booga.
Seriously with all black black why should do White magic like a paladin or go full melee like the barbarian?

Hobo Elf

Arcane

The skills you have available in Diablo are fewer than the skills you can bind in Poe...
Sure, about twice as many, but so what? Most of them are going to be passive effects or CWDT and one of them is a travel skill. The amount of skills that you actively use for combat purposes isn't going to exceed what's in D3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom