Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So, got a new PC and I'm playing this kinda non-stop.

I actually like a lot of the mutability and different variations you can do with characters, though I really do wish that you could create more than one.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yep. While I haven't used that for my undead knight (Mordred), I have looked at it for the other characters I recruited (Red Prince, Beast, Lohse).

I think next time around, I'm going to take some of the others (Fane, Sebille) and see how they work with my character.

Jezal_k23

Anyone tested that mod? Want to know how good it is. Well, can't be worse than the original game at least.

Harthwain

Magister
Co-Op single player RPGs are a retarded idea.
RPGs by definition are co-op activity, so calling co-op cRPG a retarded idea is a paradox. Furthermore, it's not retarded if it's optional or it's done well.

It's possible to design a game as a co-op activity and then allow single player to control it all, just in case. But from the design standpoint the crucial part is focusing on giving each party member - each build - their own ways to interact with the environment. So that way you WANT to stick together to pool your resources towards achieving a desirable outcome, because going solo would limit your options significantly. In so doing you increase the likelihood of co-op between individual players to happen organically.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/435150/announcements/detail/4406162982411557603

Update 3.6.69.4648 - The Cake Is No Longer A Lie

4959d67b4a112b1133ebf9673942dd07a0ad5213.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Our latest update for Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition is now live! We've addressed an array of visual and technical issues with the new Armour Sets, the Peck Eyes skill is no longer available during character creation and the cake is no longer a lie as we've addressed the crash from interacting with the wedding cake in Arx.

Also a big shout out to Futeko Snowfeather, who created a mod called Relics Of Rivellon- Stand Alone which enables you to complete the Gift Bag quests on your current play through, without the need for a new game. You can take a look at the mod here.

Happy adventures through Rivellon!

-Larian Crew

Full changelist below:

Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed the Perseverance talent not restoring physical or magical armour correctly
  • Fixed the talent Indomitable from the Divine Talents gift bag mod to correctly restore physical or magical armour
  • Fixed a crash related to interacting with the Wedding Cake in Arx
  • Fixed a blocked dialog when having the Vulture Armour equipped in the Hall of Echoes
  • Fixed not being able to declare war to another player through the party management screen, while you could with the in-game cursor
  • Fixed a lingering particle effect related to equipping the Captain’s Armour
  • Fixed Magister Cecic’s Ghost not having a dialog when the Scion died or was not released in Fort Joy
  • Fixed an issue that other equipment would also be boosted in level when completing and equipping the Captain’s Armour set
  • Fixed an incorrect aura visual effect being present when equipping the Captain’s Armour in combination with the Pet Powers gift bag mod
  • Fixed dropping and picking up Vulture Armour set pieces causing early completion of the quest
  • Fixed an issue with the pants equipment slot after switching from loading into act 2 while wearing the Captain’s Charismatic Coat
  • Fixed the Captain’s hat being taken from the player if you acquired it before blessing the stone ring
  • Fixed an introductory dialog line not playing correctly when meeting Daeyena
  • Fixed an issue with polymorph status expiring when one of the party members has the Vulture Amour set equipped
  • Fixed Path of Blood’s pure status getting overwritten by the Vulture Wings buff
  • Fixed the armour set buffs being removed when switching to specific scenes like the Arena of the One
  • Fixed Daeyena not being present in her camp in Reaper’s Coast after rescuing her from the magisters in Fort Joy
  • Fixed not receiving the contamination spore after fighting Daeyena, while leaving Magister Carruthers alive
  • Fixed combat with the captain not starting in his hideaway after not giving him the soul jar and failing the persuasion check
  • Fixed the Contamination Armour’s helmet causing the player to skip a persuasion check while sneaking
  • Fixed Peck Eyes skill being a starter skill
  • Fixed Duna’s Undertaker not giving the feathers to the character currently in dialog
  • Fixed the tooltip description for Deathleech from the Devourer armour set
  • Fixed Source hounds fleeing when a summoned character attacks magisters
  • Fixed a combat trigger issue when having a second character at the buried chest on a cliff while another character revives Captain Sech Zapor
  • Fixed the Captain’s odd skeletal arm still scratching when his soul jar is already destroyed
  • Fixed an issue with death fog barrel not killing the unit it was initially dropped on
  • Fixed an issue with combat randomizer and the fight with Paladin Keene in the hidden laboratory
  • Fixed being able to remove the curse of Captain Zanor’s cursed stone ring by cursing it again

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Get a grip, shitstain. Your gayfinger personality is through the roof, fucking psychopath.

And yeah, you fucking autistic fart-huffer with your old man balls - RPGs, just like every other genre evolve over time, get over it, and stop fucking wallowing in fundamental braindead stasis.
People have been fucking bitching about the genre becoming stale for years. When they finally make a RPG in a slightly different style, now people are bitching they changed it.

If you really want the old style of RPGs with no co-op so motherfucking desperately, then go back and play the fucking Infinity-era games, or the Ultima games, or the Wizardry games etc. etc.. There are lots of them. Some good CRPGs from the early 00's even.
I'm sure there are like three people who were pissed that D:OS2 was nothing like Ultima. Motherfucker.
I see you have strong feelings regarding the issue.
Pretty sure you can find a cream to soothe the pain in your local pharmacy.

There are so many aspects of D:OS2 to shit on, and this retarded fag finds the least consequential one to sperg out over.

V_K

Arcane
So I finally played the damn thing that's been sitting in my backlog since forever. Well, I plated Fort Joy basically because by the time I got to Reaper coast I was bored out of my mind. When the game makes me - a player who typically tries to avoid as much combat as possible - long for combat, you know there's something horribly wrong with its non-combat aspects. But then I got bored with combat too and that was the end of the journey.
People call Bethesda's gameworlds theme parks, but Larian - since the very beginning - takes the cake for making the most nonsensical locations I've ever seen. Grimrock 2, a grid-based blobber filled to the brim with mechanical puzzles, has location that feel more like real places than Dvivnity games.
I guess I should stop falling for Larian's PR touting world interactivity and multiple solutions - they might honestly aspire to those things but they're absolutely shit at actually doing them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, I'm finally playing this and I'm surprised I'm liking it more than I had anticipated. I'm almost done with Fort Joy, I can immediately get into the boat and leave, but I haven't explored a single room in the actual building of the fort. I'm playing with the initiative mod, severely reduced bloat (5% per level), non-omniscient opponents, and armor-based saving throws. Armor is worse than I thought, though, even with severely reduced bloat and saving throws, the dual armor system is annoying and pointless. It makes some characters basically worthless in specific circumstances, so the old tip of going a single damage type still seems to be reasonable. I hope the environmental interactions are significantly reduced in BG3, every fight in D:OS2 devolves into swimming in shit and using movement abilities to get around the shit. They aren't even all that deadly tbh. The AI is dumb and combat is overall a bit too easy I'd say. I don't know if the mods are responsible for that, but that's my experience.

Anyway, specifics. The economy in Fort Joy is surprisingly well balanced. I don't have money for everything I want and it's not easy to get money. There's no "go invisible and steal every painting in Cyseal for a lot of gold" like in D:OS1. The attributes are laughably oversimplified and don't interact with your skills in as many ways as in D:OS1. There are no action point penalties for low attributes for example, making it very easy to make hybrids. The arbitrary distinction between melee strength- and dexterity-based weapons throws a pointless wrench in the ordeal and I'm not sure why they did it. It certainly isn't in-line with the overall design and this particular system gives me feelings of being undercooked or nobody caring enough about that. There are a lot of such small bewildering decisions, like only being able to backstab with daggers or having an easily accessible ability to teleport behind mobs in the rogue tree making positioning an afterthought, but I'm not going to list them all.

The tags are used extensively and numerously, but they never seem to provide alternative quest solutions, at least the ones I have (dwarf, bandit, scholar), sooooo yeah. Kinda pointless, very cosmetic-only. I'm playing a custom character btw. Speaking of alternative quest solutions, there actually aren't that many while I was led to believe otherwise. I recall only 2 such quests outside of the main one of escaping. The first is freeing the caged elf in the center. You can either kill Griff and his entourage or try to get his drugs from the lizard which requires a persuade check. It feels like there should be a second way to get the drugs tbh. I failed my check and felt forced to kill Griff. This is tied to the overall main quest, though, so it's not too bad. The other one is getting that collar off of you. You can either persuade the blacksmith or win the arena (which isn't obvious btw). Speaking of the arena, I was severely disappointed. I thought there would be a bunch of hand-crafted fights that get progressively tougher, the NPCs there sure seem to indicate that, but nope. One fight and you are done, go get your collar removed. Lame.

Now the writing. Oh, boy, where do I start. I knew it's going to be quite the edge when that lizard cut off its own tongue and then was executed, but that's not what bugs me the most. What is weird is the dynamic in the camp. It feels like everyone just got here, yet there's already a social hierarchy going on, with Griff being at the center of it. How did this happen so fast? How does it affect the others outside of the 2 people for the quest? Where do the drugs go and how are people using them? How does he get the drugs? Every quest feels like a separate thing that exists in a vacuum. If that lady can remove collars, why aren't there groups organized around collar removal and tricking guards into thinking the collars are still active? It's not like this is a secret, she just tells me she can remove them when I asked her about it. What's up with the man who killed the lizard and is making a coffin for his wife or whatever? What's up with the elf creep you can accuse of being a serial killer? Some of the dialogues are plain strange, like with Butter. Why am I given 5 options to flirt with her specifically? Everything feels unreal and disconnected from each other, including your character's motivation. We are told to hate the magisters, but it's not well established enough for us, as players, to care that much. It's just assumed we want to escape and that's the first thing we start doing the moment we arrive at Fort Joy. These things need time to stew. Give me more reasons to hate the magisters, give me more reasons to want to escape, show me a more complex social structure in the concentration camp. The seeds are already there (drug trafficking, collar removal, battle arena, a variety of opinions about sourcerers, several cliques with conflicting motivations), but just like in PoE2 they don't go anywhere.

I guess they thought it would be enough to give you a few ways to escape Fort Joy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'd have liked more companion input and characterization, they feel bare-bones. Eh, I still like it, but we'll see how far that will go.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I've been told everything goes downhill after Fort Joy, so I'm fully expecting that to happen.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah don't get too excited. I always wanted to play it again but the loot system was tedious.

Codex Year of the Donut
You can either kill Griff and his entourage or try to get his drugs from the lizard which requires a persuade check. It feels like there should be a second way to get the drugs tbh. I failed my check and felt forced to kill Griff.
you can pickpocket the drugs
The other one is getting that collar off of you. You can either persuade the blacksmith or win the arena (which isn't obvious btw).
The collar has more ways to be removed later on, those are just early ways to remove it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can either kill Griff and his entourage or try to get his drugs from the lizard which requires a persuade check. It feels like there should be a second way to get the drugs tbh. I failed my check and felt forced to kill Griff.
you can pickpocket the drugs
Oh, yeah, I tried that too, didn't have enough skill. You could also kill the lizard I guess, but killing seems like a last resort tbh.
Yeah don't get too excited. I always wanted to play it again but the loot system was tedious.
There's more emphasis on hand-placed loot this time, but yeah, the random items are always a bad idea. It's less bad with the debloat mod.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Invested in thievery and at the end of the second map I had over 700k gold. I lost count after that.

You must have the patience of a saint, robbing all those people. Just from 100% ethical looting (non-red items) I had more money than I knew what to do with...

And selling just that stuff took hours. The number of times I heard that Scottish dwarven dyke saying "KeEpInG It ToGeThEr BrEe?".

Ragniz

Novice
So, I'm finally playing this and I'm surprised I'm liking it more than I had anticipated. I'm almost done with Fort Joy, I can immediately get into the boat and leave, but I haven't explored a single room in the actual building of the fort. I'm playing with the initiative mod, severely reduced bloat (5% per level), non-omniscient opponents, and armor-based saving throws. Armor is worse than I thought, though, even with severely reduced bloat and saving throws, the dual armor system is annoying and pointless. It makes some characters basically worthless in specific circumstances, so the old tip of going a single damage type still seems to be reasonable. I hope the environmental interactions are significantly reduced in BG3, every fight in D:OS2 devolves into swimming in shit and using movement abilities to get around the shit. They aren't even all that deadly tbh. The AI is dumb and combat is overall a bit too easy I'd say. I don't know if the mods are responsible for that, but that's my experience.

The armor system is a bitch and I hate it too but you can get some skills to play around it a bit
You can teach your mages the shield throw skill and totem summoning plus buffs so they're not 100% after killing their targets. For physical characters choloform is amazing and there are a few polymorph skills like bullhorns, medusa head and flay skins.
Sadly the environmental effects and enemies teleporting all over the place are only going to get worse. I think in the second half of chapter 2 you start seeing cursed surfaces that you can't deal with without using extra resources and you're better off casting armor spells and ignoring them plus every enemy has a couple of teleports.

sullynathan

Arcane
Lacrymas actually this is a great time to play it since the latest patch introduced 4 unique armor sets that are arguably the best within each region of the game.

I'm sure you've probably gotten the Quests for them already, but at a certain point when you reach reapers coast you can find a merchant that will join you if you save him. Prior to departing for Arx sell him all your unique gear and buy it again once you reach Arx since they'll all get automatically upgraded to level 20. At the very least, by doing this you'll have something to spend all the money you've gotten by this point but there's an easy way to get 150k gold in Arx that you can also find.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not to defend this game or anything, but "why does my character want to escape this concentration camp?" is a dumb fuckin question

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom