Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

King Boreas was a joke... although I think my two-handed murderfugger is making pretty much every fight easy now.

Glass Cannon is an OP trait.

Also, to Volourn - this game doesn't have to sell 5 million copies, or even a million copies, to be a success. It shows that a low/mid-budget, non-handholding RPG CAN be a profitable endeavor. This doesn't mean Bioware or Bethesda are going to start making games like this, and we're still going to get plenty of games who attempt to mimic those, but it does mean that it is possible that games like this will be created in the future by small studios using a combination of KS/EA without needing to sell their souls to EA.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"250k with no publisher is actually very, very good."

No.

"Also, to Volourn - this game doesn't have to sell 5 million copies, or even a million copies, to be a success. It shows that a low/mid-budget, non-handholding RPG CAN be a profitable endeavor. This doesn't mean Bioware or Bethesda are going to start making games like this, and we're still going to get plenty of games who attempt to mimic those, but it does mean that it is possible that games like this will be created in the future by small studios using a combination of KS/EA without needing to sell their souls to EA."

More ignorance. It's not about 'profitability' you dumbasses. Poeple here are bragging about how 'popular' the game is. In reality, it isn't that popular. 250k is small peanuts. Considiriing that, once again, Larian has had previous games sell million+ so they alone have over a million people who have played their previous games. They are not some ma and pa game developer. They've beena round for eyrs and this is the 1 millionth game in the DD series and the series has sold fine over the years.

This game is not as popular as the idiots in this thread claim it is. Period.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"On steam"

"On steam"

"OOn steam"

"On steam"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Perkel

Arcane
"On steam"

"On steam"

"OOn steam"

"On steam"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

fBcdJIh.gif

Darkion

Augur
So...

I take a look-see over at reddit. Hmm, seems like there's a major project using the DOS Editor. What marvelous creation are they pl...

DIABLO:ORIGINAL SIN

:killit:

Also...

:rage:

Avellion

Erudite
So...

I take a look-see over at reddit. Hmm, seems like there's a major project using the DOS Editor. What marvelous creation are they pl...

DIABLO:ORIGINAL SIN

:killit:

Also...

:rage:
So basically what Diablo was going to be in the first place then? A turn based RPG.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Volourn's right in that publicly traded companies aren't going to give a damn about six digit sales, wake them up when one sells seven within a week.

250k with no publisher is actually very, very good. Think about it. If a publisher lets you reach 100k sales but takes 50% of your profits, then 250k sales is equivalent to 500k sales w/ a publisher.

I'd posit that if the publisher is taking ownership of the IP for a successful game with potential sequels, then once you include capital gains they're taking much more than 50% of the value.

Tigranes

Arcane
Publisher doesn't take 50% of your profits, publisher already owns all the profits. It's their profit. If you're lucky you get some royalties / bonuses. Most of the time, you were broke when you started, and you're broke when you're done. You just paid for game X by selling game X.

As for Larian, we know for a fact that they're already making a profit. They're already ahead of where they were with every other game they've made.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ That. In most cases the developer is paid a flat fee or given a small percentage of sales.

Divinity: Original Sin
What's with all the overly large skeletons in this game anyway? I'm amazed no one has mentioned it, but half the skeletons lying about are the size of giants.

Why? I demand to know.
2afyern.jpg
[/IMG]

A little late... but I was checking my old saves in Div Div and:

itk3m2o.png

hgglmQc.png

MPwSUay.png

They're really big sometimes...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Gotta love those fonts.

Anyway, my twin Marksman got to Silverglen.
5 Marksman for Quickdraw (-1 AP)
5 Sneaking for Guerilla (Double Dmg from Sneak Attack)
2 Scoundrel for Charm, Hide in Shadows and Fast Track.

Overall I felt this Marksman is shoehorned to just PER/DEX and a bit of CON if needed.

Bow vs X-Bow
No contest - X-Bow AP Requirement is horrible. Even with Quickdraw.
The amount of damage bonus cannot really justify the AP drain you're inflicting on yourself in combat.
For that extra 2 AP, you could let off a Sneak Bow Attack and re-engage stealth.
There is argument for X-Bow as the damage shots skill like Ricochet & Barrage benefit from higher weapon damage, but honestly the cool-downs on those skills take so long that I didn't feel it was worth it. Sneak attack has no cooldown.

Weapon-locked skills
At first I thought I'd be dabbling on the Scoundrel's excellent crowd control skill like Trip and Stun, but I discover that you don't even need anything beyond Scoundrel Rank 2. Because those Crowd Control skills require a dagger equipped. I can accept the 3 metre range - but forcing me to equip a dagger just to trip someone is just silly. Consider this: Even a Greatsword wielding warrior can summon a fire elemental without equipping a staff.

I'm just glad Charm Person is usable without this nonsense.

Marksman Skill Set - Meh
Tactical Retreat is amazing, Ricochet is passable, Stances are self-explanatory. However, that's it. A lot of their Remove debuff effects are too high AP cost to be worth it. Why spend 5 AP to Cure Poison when I can just drink a potion for 3 AP? I tried casting Cure Poison outside combat. By the time I finished casting, the Poison's 3 turn effect already wore off. I immediately removed the skill from my hotbar.

Let's not even talk about Survivor's Karma a Lv 7 party buff. What does it do? For 8 AP, you give your team +2 Lucky Find.

:troll: Thanks, Larian.

I suppose the offense buff gives +5-10% to hit, but Really? 8 AP for that? Fuck that. I'd use it if it's 10 turns. But 3 turns is just shit.

I think for the next ability point, I might just dabble with Earth spell for the excellent Fortify, Spider and Midnight Oil spells. Or perhaps go Crafting/Leader with one of them.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom