Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Xeon

Augur
I wish if crafting was similar to the Atelier game series's crafting system. Divinity's and most games don't have experimentation.

Darkion

Augur
I don't like the crafting.
There, I said it. Then again, does anyone really like it?

*Raises hand*

I've always liked crafting and usually run an alchemist or tinkerer character if the mechanics are in a game. The D:OS system is simplistic, but I'm glad they have it. I find that gathering materials and experimenting to create items gives me a change of pace between all the monster fighting and going from one dungeon to the other and doing this quest or that. Since the game doesn't force you to use it at all times it can be ignored if it's not one's "thing".

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Why couldn't Larian copy WoWs UI properly? I got used to opening skill book when casting spells by the end of the game (JUST LIKE U7!!) (also: flipping the another set of bars felt slower) but I still can't fathom why there can't be more than 10 keybinds for spells when there's so much room left in the screen. I played on a small resolution and still the hotbar only took like 40% of the screen, if that. Why RPGs in general don't copy WoW style combat is beyond me, a popamole action RPG could be great if it was like high end WoW where you have to use 30+ different keybind, equipment and spell macros etc.

3a1.jpg

MORE INVULNERABLE ENEMIES!
LOL
Open world indeed. Any more invulnerable enemies I should know about besides the death knights and the demons?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
"What about scepticism?"

"Fredrick finds himself wary of it, to be honest."

:lol:
*Raises hand*

I've always liked crafting and usually run an alchemist or tinkerer character if the mechanics are in a game. The D:OS system is simplistic, but I'm glad they have it. I find that gathering materials and experimenting to create items gives me a change of pace between all the monster fighting and going from one dungeon to the other and doing this quest or that. Since the game doesn't force you to use it at all times it can be ignored if it's not one's "thing".

Yep. I realized the other day after completing Hiberheim that I'd spent a good hour and a half taking stock of my inventory, selling, buying, learning and crafting. Any good RPG (in my eyes) will give this to you and then some. Again, a great attribute and strength of Underrail and why I'm such a huge supporter of such systems. Even today after dealing with the Mines I realized I'd acquired a great deal of "ingredients" for my blacksmith/crafting character to sift through...and it must have taken another hour or so just to deal with it. I too love this respite in-between the exploring, puzzles and crawling.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
You mean to tell me that you'd rather play a vapid Diablo style click fest/generic third person hack n slashing than something like Season 3 era arena where you have 3 different talent trees (with many different builds possible, though only few are optimal), have to use 15-25+ abilities and some macros on a regular basis, use items like grenades and bandages etc. Granted 95% of that depth would be lost when you change human opponents to AI ones, but it's still hell of a lot better than mindlessly spamming melee attack in Elder Scrolls/Diablo fashion. Hell, even fighting against trash mobs you could have fun battles here and there in WoW if you tried taking on many mobs at once, trying to 2 man an elite/boss designed for 5 players, kiting enemies etc.
Also notice I used the word "ARPG". Real RPGs=party+TB. Though that does not mean you can't have wow style macros, keybinds or even talent trees, depends on the context.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Nothing outside of gimped -4ap cheap sandstorm shit"

How is that shit? It makes sense and those spiders weren't hard. Just a summon a spider into a pack of them and they'll waste a lot of time trying to poison it. And, then you can make them cry to their mommy. Their only real advantage is they have lots of ap.

Man, some of these abilities are super powerful. Flurry? LMAO That kills almost anything in one shot lol. Charm is cool. If durations were longer it be funny to have 4 PC + 4 Summons +4 charms. It's still possible, in theory, to do ifor a couple of rounds but no battle needs that.

Finished the mines. Man, I wanted to kill those death knights. Damn game. Boo!

And, now I'm going to have 'broken' quests in my journal for rest of game in the unfinished part. I means eriously if a quest can't be finished for whatever reason, just fukkin' end it.

Level 16 and in the 2nd part with a couple of things to do.

Also, anyone know if stupid tenebrium nullifies the need for sheild/armour skills ala weapon ones?

set

Arcane
DOS is not linear - you have to be dumb to even suggest it. People in this thread have already said they've done quests and even entire areas out of order.
I didn't say it was linear. I said it had corridors. Which it does.

Another lovely example of "classic" RPG level design: http://www.gry-online.pl/galeria/mapy/47774078_953.jpg
You named one of the totally optional side areas of the game, which is related to approximately one quest. Big whoop. It also has about 3 or 4 enemy encounters... it's just a minor side area.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Look, I love DOS but it is mostly linear. Not linear in the sense of some popamole FPS or Shittyrun Retards but certainly linear compared to Ultima 6 and 7. You tackle the main maps in a fairly rigid order and the steep level curve prevents you from ducking in and out of areas you aren't prepared to face. No one is going to Hunter's Edge after they get out of Cyseal.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Metro are you saying codex is having fun in a linear corridor action rpg in 2014 with eurotrash interface, crafting system, minigame and random diablo loot? The horrors! The adverbs! Adverbingly so, does it not?

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Better encounters&combat but more linear>nonlinear game that hasn't got any good boss battles because designers had to cater every possible option for story progression. U7 especially has bad combat and no interesting encounters.
And people hate level scaling.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I think it is early days to say that the game forces a linear approach. Do we have any no-lifers who have finished multiple times and experimented with different approaches?

Use of food, potions, craftables, staying right on top of your equipment, focusing on complementary builds and a deeper understanding of the game makes it playable in very different ways on a re-roll or second play-through. There is enough diversity there for high replay value.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, in my first run through I've done some parts out of order (i.e. got through some parts I was 2 levels below using creative/cheesy tactics), but was eventually forced to turn back. So yeah, it's linear due to meat gates, but if you're good at the combat you can do things in various orders, particularly towards the end.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Better encounters&combat but more linear>nonlinear game that hasn't got any good boss battles because designers had to cater every possible option for story progression. U7 especially has bad combat and no interesting encounters.
And people hate level scaling.
I don't disagree -- just using U6/U7 as points of comparison. As (I believe) the Something Awful review said: the more important 'freedom' here is not that you can walk to that mountain you see in the distance; it's the freedom of interactivity with items, the environment, npcs, in combat, etc.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Why does nobody want to play co-op with me?

Joke's on you. I co-op with 3 different people last week and finished Bracchus Rex with 2 different partners.
You don't even know what you don't know.

Here lemme rephrase it

Why can't I find a compelling argument against this guy? Oh it's RK47, let's make fun of his autist tendencies and pretend it makes him a terrible co-op gamer. Free brofists yeahhhh!

You are not Black.

"Nothing outside of gimped -4ap cheap sandstorm shit"

How is that shit? It makes sense and those spiders weren't hard. Just a summon a spider into a pack of them and they'll waste a lot of time trying to poison it. And, then you can make them cry to their mommy. Their only real advantage is they have lots of ap.
Because instead of interesting encounters it's just you not able to do anything? Otherwise they weren't really that hard, since I completed them at a few levels lower. On the subject of linearity, you can take almost any level enemy at lvl 11-12, I've got as far as the spore dungeons but the spores there have 0% CtH and heal from most of my attacks, killed their minions though. Anyway besides the retarded invulnerable enemies I've cleared out most creatures much higher level, with a shit party, so it's more than doable.

Can't be arsed to do most of the boring uninteresting quests, so just looking around for more combat right now.

Eddas

Learned
I would like to play with someone from here, but I barely write in english and I fell I could only speak it with an indian accent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom