Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Tigranes

Arcane
You mean Walking Cock?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Bioware is embarrassing but so is Larian.

Noooo, you just don't like Larian.

- Bioware is written for people who can't into people and need relationship help.

- Larian is like visiting your friend's house in highschool with the lovable but corny Dad who pops in while you're trying to smoke weed and instead of chastising you regales you with an old story of youth and a groan-worthy pun.

You should feel embarrassed about the former, but if you're embarrassed by the latter you're just kind of a dick. ;)

p.s. I do agree the side-moments are better than the main-moments and that with time and more effort they surely could have improved on it all, but I'm certainly not playing this game for the story...and, like I've been saying, the story makes me chuckle enough along the way that I'm enjoying it overall.

Tigranes

Arcane
If the story makes you chuckle, then the abyss between us is large enough that we must agree to remain apart.

Mainly, can't wait to go home and play some more.

canakin

Cipher
I just skipped about 80% of dialogue and other lore stuff and jumped straight into to combat whenever possible. I have no idea why/what I did in most quests and what the game is about but I don't feel like I missed anything of value.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
DOS story gives enough pretext to go and have fun doing shit. The rest doesn't matter. Some lulz along the way are just fine.

I felt the same way about Blackguards.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Also: Is "Compasses how the blazes do they work?" = "Magnets, how do they work?" or is that just me...? If so, that is awesome.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Shit story doesn't matter as long it's fun to play the game.
Actually Last Remnant was fun. It was just the main character which was completely not livable with, and the story was so so. Because conquror wasn't main character. And he wasn't main character because of political reasons. Thus Square-Enix made shit story on his PC debut.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Any complete list somewhere? Wanna see how much nonsense the Codex forced upon Larian.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I abandoned Last Remnant the moment they asked me to configure my gamepad on PC port. Console port trash.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So you never experienced the excellent squad combat. Too bad, if you liked FFT it was actually fun.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Shit story doesn't matter as long it's fun to play the game.

That's not really fair - that's not what I said.

Any combination of two of the following yields a game I want to play:

- Solid Story / Writing
- Solid Combat
- Solid Setting / World

D:OS has very good combat and an interesting world. The writing is lulzy and given the other two are OK in my books, I am enjoying it.

The argument I see being made is that not taking yourself seriously isn't an excuse for for shit. Much like the recent surge of shitty 8 bit pixel art games.. Many of those are presented as "Hey look, we have awesome retro graphix!" ... but really is a ruse allowing them to have shit graphics. Larian is guilty of that where writing is concerned.

Point is the game and engine have turned out to be quite good and if they can get some things sorted out they could make something really rather great.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i heard this is a pretty good game, and doesn't afraid of anything. Or is the Codex just sperging because it has starved for a good RPG for so long now?

Also, is Larian going to refine the game further, or should i play it as it is now?

imweasel

Some of the writing is pretty good, some of it is extremely boring.

I really enjoyed Jahan's background story though, that was written well and also very interesting.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I prefer shitty comedic writing to shitty grimdarkserious writing, so Larian wins."

EXcept the main story is grim dark. The whole thing with the lame ass cult is grimdark. Sure, the side stuff can be funny, charming, and interetsing, but that is even hit or miss.

And, the imps are Deeki/Minsc bad and they're a fukkin' army. FFS Can you imagine an army of Deekins and Minscs/? WELL... THIS GAME FUKKIN' HAS THAT.

Plus, this has to be the worst use of Chosen One(s) story EVER.

LAME.

The game is only playable becuse the combat is fun even though only losers find the combat hard.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
You need one of those recent turbo computers to run it or it will like like a piece of poo. I get nauseous of the 25 FPS I get on low settings, with a 2010 comp. Poorly optimized, Diablo 3 or even Titan Quest looked better and ran at 60 FPS highest here. I don't know what kind of gimmicks they put in their engines but the game could look just as good and run better on lower end machines without it.

That's a let down for a game that proclaims itself old school yet requires the Popamoler's COD 7 ready engine to run.

Tigranes

Arcane
Depends on what you got yourself in 2010. Here, 2011 comp, highest settings, runs beautifully & loads pretty quick.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It depends. Main story wise? NWN2 OC wins. Side stuff and overall characters? I'll go with DOS.

Afterall, no other game's story is absed on having a sword literally stuck up your ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom