Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

So many years ago today...ah, there you are, my adult son. Please go to the general store and buy some pelts for me. Remember to pay the clerk. With money. Then bring the pelts back here. Then you are free to go out and play with your friends.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So i heard this is a pretty good game, and doesn't afraid of anything. Or is the Codex just sperging because it has starved for a good RPG for so long now?

Also, is Larian going to refine the game further, or should i play it as it is now?

It's a bit of both, it has flaws but it's still the best AA RPG to come out in a long while. The writing is probably the weakest point but it's inoffensive enough. Larian seem to be implementing atleast a few more things like more companion AI, the game is also likely to be further modded to work out the kinks. I think you'll lose nothing by waiting if you're not that hungry for a good RPG.

The Last Remnant had some shitty combat. Couldn't even select individual attack of each unit FFS. There was plenty of TB combat... and you couldn't select the moves? ... One step closer to converting a game to a movie for. :retarded: :popamole: by removing elements of gameplay!!

Not to mention the kawai animufaggotry drilping from it.

EDIT: mondblut you playing Divinity Original Sin ... or are you a faggot like Roguey?

EDIT 2: For all those bitching about writing are free to mod the story of Popamole Eternally (by a poser sellout of supposed cRPG system designer) in DOS... if the ton of writers dont mess the writing completely(too many cooks spoil the broth and so forth)

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Co-Op progress highlights:
Partner said something about 'OMG STEVE THIS MOUND BEHIND LAVA TRAP IS IMPORTANT. IT HAS MAIN QUEST OBJECT'
.... okay. Fire dmg 2000 on contact.
Brb. Need pumpkin.
Carve carve carve.
Puts on Pumpkin.
Cast Fire Shield.
RK47 is healed for 712 fire damage. :smug:

Combat highlights:
'Where's the last guy... hmmm. Oh, he's invis. *Casts rain*'
RK47 makes everyone wet!
Wet Wet Wet Wet! Aha! There's a Wet above an empty spot!
Told partner to use Madora's AOE, struck him and cancelled invis.
Pwned. :smug:

Gord

Arcane
You need one of those recent turbo computers to run it or it will like like a piece of poo. I get nauseous of the 25 FPS I get on low settings, with a 2010 comp. Poorly optimized, Diablo 3 or even Titan Quest looked better and ran at 60 FPS highest here.

Don't have many problems with my late 2010 system either (Phenom 2 X4, GTX460). It runs at 35-60 fps on high-ish settings.
There is a known performance problem on some 32bit systems though. Also it seems relatively memory intensive, 64bit OS with 4GB+ is definitely recommended.
Larian said that they are still working at figuring out what's going on with the issues on 32bit systems, so if you are on one of those, it might yet get better.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
You need one of those recent turbo computers to run it or it will like like a piece of poo. I get nauseous of the 25 FPS I get on low settings, with a 2010 comp. Poorly optimized, Diablo 3 or even Titan Quest looked better and ran at 60 FPS highest here. I don't know what kind of gimmicks they put in their engines but the game could look just as good and run better on lower end machines without it.

That's a let down for a game that proclaims itself old school yet requires the Popamoler's COD 7 ready engine to run.

Bitch moar. C2D7200@3,6Ghz + HD6870 runs game at 40-50fps in 1600x900 which is now low end PC. It's either your hardware fault or your 2010 pc was in 2010 old already.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'd take Bioware's writing over Larian's writing any day.
Ehehe, yeah no. I'll disagree with that in a heartbeat. Bioware has a tendency to make me feel embarrassed for humanity while wincing through what their obvious target audience is pining for. At least this game feels endearing, charming and coming from the hearts of people who love the genre and a whimsical chuckle amongst friends.
How it 'feels' is just a part of writing, and probably the most subjective. Personally I haven't even smirked at anything written in the game, only at in-combat/gameplay slapstick situations. I could find it charming if the game had a fully interactive and fleshed-out companion, perhaps. I could find it endearing if there was any personality attached to characters other than "this person is SILLY", "this person is EVIL", this person likes FIRE", etc.

A more subjective part of writing is the red thread through the story, the characterization and lore - the exposition and making the player feel attached and wanting more. Pretty much every other CRPG in existence does this better than D:OS. Another game that doesn't do this very well is IWD2.

Noooo, you just don't like Larian.

- Bioware is written for people who can't into people and need relationship help.

- Larian is like visiting your friend's house in highschool with the lovable but corny Dad who pops in while you're trying to smoke weed and instead of chastising you regales you with an old story of youth and a groan-worthy pun.

You should feel embarrassed about the former, but if you're embarrassed by the latter you're just kind of a dick. ;)

p.s. I do agree the side-moments are better than the main-moments and that with time and more effort they surely could have improved on it all, but I'm certainly not playing this game for the story...and, like I've been saying, the story makes me chuckle enough along the way that I'm enjoying it overall.
By Larian standards, with time and more effort it would probably be more like Dragon Commander, which is not an RPG but is far worse in writing than even D:OS. You'd have the same ideas and framework, but more of it... and voiced.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I just killed Zixzax but the bastard just ressurected himself and trolled me about being master of space and time. Asshole.

I did manage to pyramid-jump into Phantom Forest without quest item though.

RK47

Patron
'Don't move or I'll detonate with the gurl I'm protecting.'
'RK, don't do anything rash!'
'I got this, I am a source knight of multi-elemental magic decked in the heaviest combat gear and prepared for every situation.'
'Don't tell me you took one point in air magic.'
'I have a scroll of teleport.' :smug:
*ZING*
*picks up woman - teleports - crazy ghoul explodes - woman lands beside us, and died from the teleport fall.*

:hmmm:

-1 Reputation

'Perhaps rain spell is a better idea.'

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
So i heard this is a pretty good game, and doesn't afraid of anything. Or is the Codex just sperging because it has starved for a good RPG for so long now?

Also, is Larian going to refine the game further, or should i play it as it is now?

I think it's a bit of both - it's true that there haven't been a lot of decent RPGs released in the last ~10 years so it's not that hard to stand out. On the other hand, Original Sin genuinely is a great game - but it's too early to tell whether it will become an all-time classic.

AFAIK Larian are only planning to add a few more companions in the near future, so nothing major - we don't know about their long-term plans yet in terms of expansions and such. Most of the bugs have also been fixed by now, so I'd say you're good to go. Besides, you're missing out - think of all the Codexers having a good time playing Original Sin while you're just sitting there doing whatever it is that you do. :P

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
*picks up woman - teleports - crazy ghoul explodes - woman lands beside us, and died from the teleport fall.*

I have to say that particular quest is a bit wonky. I teleported the exploding dude away from the girl and she didn't take any damage - but he blew up some of the chests/boxes in the room which was apparently cause enough for the girl to attack us. :D

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
sounds crazy but you can also teleport the bomb instead, or cast fire immunity on the girl, or use the other teleport that doesn't do damage

RK47

Patron
Rain works. He can't blow up cause fuse is gone.
Yeah partner reloaded.
:balance: Degenerate scum.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
You need one of those recent turbo computers to run it or it will like like a piece of poo. I get nauseous of the 25 FPS I get on low settings, with a 2010 comp. Poorly optimized, Diablo 3 or even Titan Quest looked better and ran at 60 FPS highest here.

There is a known performance problem on some 32bit systems though. Also it seems relatively memory intensive, 64bit OS with 4GB+ is definitely recommended.
Larian said that they are still working at figuring out what's going on with the issues on 32bit systems, so if you are on one of those, it might yet get better.

Thanks. Got 64 bits though, but for some reason I'm pretty sure it would run better on my mac (same specs), will try.

Bitch moar. C2D7200@3,6Ghz + HD6870 runs game at 40-50fps in 1600x900 which is now low end PC. It's either your hardware fault or your 2010 pc was in 2010 old already.

Ok your PC is more turbo than me you get a cookie. grats. Mine could run Diablo 3 on highest, yet this game manages to look worst than a 90s early 3D game. This could be better optimized, as you shouldn't require an assfaggots' gaming rigg to run it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Noooo, you just don't like Larian.

- Bioware is written for people who can't into people and need relationship help.

- Larian is like visiting your friend's house in highschool with the lovable but corny Dad who pops in while you're trying to smoke weed and instead of chastising you regales you with an old story of youth and a groan-worthy pun.

You should feel embarrassed about the former, but if you're embarrassed by the latter you're just kind of a dick. ;)

p.s. I do agree the side-moments are better than the main-moments and that with time and more effort they surely could have improved on it all, but I'm certainly not playing this game for the story...and, like I've been saying, the story makes me chuckle enough along the way that I'm enjoying it overall.

Some of ME2's companions that are straight up excellently written. DA:O tries a political plot but fails because of poor writing. DA2 is a disgusting Days of Our Lives for Teenagers in Fantasyland, but the main plot, though poorly executed, tries and nearly suceeds to completely drop saving the world in favor of a period-spanning episodical plot actually centered around the career of your dude.

Bioware's take on character relationships is superficial, pandering and stupid, but everything else remains ambitious if ultimately failing in most cases (not counting what looks to be Inquisition's retardedly Transformer-esqueish plot which looks like it was copy-pasted from the book of cliches).

Meanwhile, Larian drops all pretentions and just delivers popcorn with neither salt nor butter. There's nothing there to offend you, but honestly you might as well eat air. Every piece of world-building, plot and writing just sort of exists.

I guess it's a question of taste whether you dislike total blandness more or less than failed ambition and pandering bullshit (though the Codex usually likes the first part of the latter more than the former). For me, personally, I see no reason to excuse or applaud either.

None of these game companies promise any sort of interesting future for RPG writing - in fact they both highlight the core problems we suffer from in their own unique ways.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Ok your PC is more turbo than me you get a cookie. grats. Mine could run Diablo 3 on highest, yet this game manages to look worst than a 90s early 3D game. This could be better optimized, as you shouldn't require an assfaggots' gaming rigg to run it.

My HTPC runs this at max settings flawlessly. And that machine is tuned for quietness and low power consumption, not gaming...

RK47

Patron
extinct.jpg

CALLING ALL GREY WARDEN CALLING ALL GREY WARDEN
DARKSEPTICONS MUST BE STOPPED WHATEVER THE COST

Perkel

Arcane

Developers don't need to set some artificial "we have xyz in our game so min req should be xxx". They are using modern APIs which alone could increase min req for game without adding anything. If you have some old faggot PC with some old ass shaders that alone could anihilate your framerate even if your PC is supposed to run game well with its Tflop power. No one will care about old ass hardware and program optimization for it, increasing their work.

My old (i upgraded this year) so called by you "turbo" pc is 2007 CPU coupled with mediacore 2010 GPU. That GPU right now is like 60$ in poland used and CPU goes for 15$ used.

Also stop comparing DOS to Diablo3. Diablo 3 has simple static graphic that is hidden by their wow artstyle. That is completely beside fact that those are two completely different games and DOS is much more complex from engine perspective (like every item in word being movable etc)

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I have to say that particular quest is a bit wonky. I teleported the exploding dude away from the girl and she didn't take any damage - but he blew up some of the chests/boxes in the room which was apparently cause enough for the girl to attack us. :D
You destroyed her clothes, you villain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom