Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

I can only agree with that, but still don't understand why you would deny the fact that the way that loot and equipment works and also main atributes'/statistics' roles are very similar.
:lol:
So you have joined the balancefag club?

The similarities come down to creative usage of broken shit.
You say that like it is a bad thing.

And I can't agree on what you say about the quality of questing, but whatever, let's not start that flame war again.
I would take MAXOS!! and Bellegar over GAY WARDEN any day. For writing of real quality...go read a book or something. The Red Knight (Book 1 of Traitor Son) is a p. good read I picked up recently btw.

Man oh man DOS is better than drugs. And so much cheaper. 135 hours so far, 4 concurrent games, farthest I have reached till is The Trial of the Immaculates.

Perkel

Arcane
This is what will happen when your average Bio or Bethesdrone will try out the game.

I have cheeseburger in my hand but i don't know what to do with it ! Piece of shit McDonald didn't even put tutorial in their menu.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
:negative:

Somebody needs to troll that comment section. The guy is just a power keg waiting to go off.

Perkel

Arcane
"It's not school anymore !"
"I want tutorials explaining me everything"

It's like watching two retards at the same time, each trying to go in different way.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So random loot/equipment is something we have in both, true. I'm not a particular big fan of it, either.

As for the rest, I still think it's pretty different.
What I'm going to say probably isn't going to help my case, but the overarching feeling I get in a character progression is that it's very much DS/T like. Every level is a huge deal, because every level means new weapons, hugely increased damage etc. This is what I experienced in hack'n'slashes, but not in BG1 for example, where you could've went from <<generic weapon>> to <<generic weapon +1>> and <<generic weapon +2>> if you were lucky. And if you came by the latter one first, well no STR requirements were there to stop you.

I can only agree with that, but still don't understand why you would deny the fact that the way that loot and equipment works and also main atributes'/statistics' roles are very similar.
So you have joined the balancefag club?
You've lost me here.

The similarities come down to creative usage of broken shit.
You say that like it is a bad thing.
Nope, not at all. Love Arcanum's broken shit.

Man oh man DOS is better than drugs. And so much cheaper.
Will not deny that.

Gord

Arcane
Also learn to spell, customise is spelled with an z not an s. There is no such word as customise with an s.
I'm in amerikwa, spell correctly.
:patriot:

The guy is trolling, right? He has to be, please tell me he is...

:negative:

Edit: [PER] From watching the video, I'm pretty sure he is, indeed, trolling.

Zeriel

Arcane
You need one of those recent turbo computers to run it or it will like like a piece of poo. I get nauseous of the 25 FPS I get on low settings, with a 2010 comp. Poorly optimized, Diablo 3 or even Titan Quest looked better and ran at 60 FPS highest here. I don't know what kind of gimmicks they put in their engines but the game could look just as good and run better on lower end machines without it.

That's a let down for a game that proclaims itself old school yet requires the Popamoler's COD 7 ready engine to run.

Your idea of "turbo computers" is a joke. I bought mine in 2010, run D:OS on it with all settings maxed, it rarely goes below 60 fps.

People need to stop blaming bad hardware on magical "optimization". Blizzard are not an industry standard--they go out of their way to design their games to work on very old computers, and their games tend to suffer a certain degree for it. It's fine to play new games on a cheap computer you bought 5 years ago, but you shouldn't expect them to run well.

Perkel

Arcane
or he is just plain retard, it happens.

retard-gone-wrong-l_o_607506.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
None of these game companies promise any sort of interesting future for RPG writing - in fact they both highlight the core problems we suffer from in their own unique ways.

Again, I'm sticking with what I said in the bit you quoted. And what I wrote earlier in the thread. And what I probably wrote earlier than that. While it's certainly lamentable that every RPG can't have PS:T levels of writing and dialogue it's just not why I play games.

Strawman. I did not make any comment about what games needed or didn't need. I loved Blackguards, KotC etc. (and I can't remember the last time I've had as much fun as I'm having with D:OS), so I dunno why you felt like ass-pulling that I'm arguing games need PS:T levels of writing.

I was commenting on the comparison between BioWare and Larian writing:

Grunker said:
I see no reason to excuse or applaud either.

Mangoose said:
So, not a fan of fighting the Power Rangers, constantly trolling a Dragon, getting a quest to free a pig, or a Killer Bunny coming after you if you kill too many rabbits?

No.

extinct.jpg

CALLING ALL GREY WARDEN CALLING ALL GREY WARDEN
DARKSEPTICONS MUST BE STOPPED WHATEVER THE COST

Last edited:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I was commenting on the comparison between BioWare and Larian writing: I see no reason to excuse or applaud either.

So this wasn't a comment on videogame writing and those companies' roles in general?

None of these game companies promise any sort of interesting future for RPG writing - in fact they both highlight the core problems we suffer from in their own unique ways.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
You are dead inside.

:(

ITT Gamers are fuckin' serious about serious shit.

Anyway, my point condensed:

* BioWare games make me feel embarrassed for humanity and the actual games themselves are usually popamole shit.

* Larian makes me go "hehe" and the actual game is pretty damn fuggin' good.

It's a pretty obvious choice for me, laudable accolades for writing be damned.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Divinity DKS's humour was awesome.

So far, DOS is much less awesome in that regard.

Still, I am enjoying it massively so far :thumbsup:

are there any other recruitables in the first town apart from the crazy old woman and the mage?

Mangoose said:
So, not a fan of fighting the Power Rangers, constantly trolling a Dragon, getting a quest to free a pig, or a Killer Bunny coming after you if you kill too many rabbits?

No.

:shunthenonbeliever:

Searching for ignore button on Grunker's profile page...

Oh man you are a staff member aren't you, you dead soulless robot...

And for all your talk of "people liking cats like different things than dogs" when it comes to mechanics...you pile gaytard biowhore shit writing with Larian's...

Although DKS was much better writing wise than DOS till now. I hope that now they got thier engine stuff worked out... we can have DKS-esque expansion (similar to MOTB was to NWN2 OC)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I was commenting on the comparison between BioWare and Larian writing: I see no reason to excuse or applaud either.

So this wasn't a comment on videogame writing [...] general?

Errr, yes? When did "I think some video game writing sucks" become "games suck if they don't have fantastic writing"?

All I did was note that your comparison held Larian's writing quality above BioWare's. I think that's bullshit. Any other opinions you want to hold me accountable for are your own inventions.

Mangoose said:

No.
You are dead inside.

I am seeing the same people who detest Minsc praise Killer Bunny. The irony is not beyond me. In a BioWare game it is cheap, braindead humor, in a Larian game you are a dead old coot if you don't like the Teenage-level shameless references.

I'm saying both really don't do much for me either way. At least I'm consistent.

And no, I'm not "dead inside." I like comedy. When it's fun.

Last edited:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Errr, yes? When did "I think some video game writing sucks" become "games suck if they don't have fantastic writing"?

I don't feel like I was accusing you of saying this, so...never? My point was simply that writing is not what attracts me to games so I do and always will favor what you're essentially calling "innocuous writing" over what I'm essentially calling "embarrassing writing".

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I don't feel like I was accusing you of saying this, so...never? My point was simply that writing is not what attracts me to games so I do and always will favor what you're essentially calling "innocuous writing" over what I'm essentially calling "embarrassing writing".

Why? This is what I don't get. My ability to ignore bad writing does not depend on the writing's character, only on the amount the game shoves it in my face. In this, BioWare is obviously much worse because it has ambitions and wants you to deal with the story, but that's not an asset of their fan-pandering or annoying teenage-streak.

I mean, I get that you can have a personal objection to one over the other and like I said in my original post, more power to you for having that. My only point was that both were pretty shitty and boring (well, except that, as noted, BioWare succeed sometimes seemingly more at random than intentionally).

EDIT: Actually, I'm making them sound worse than they are. Like I said, ME2 companions are, for the most part, downright excellent, and every single one of their games have redeeming moments in their writing in spite of all the bullshit. Larian has almost nothing worthy of note. And I maintain we're still debating shades of shit.

I also like how you do the innocent "me? strawman? naaaaaw"-act after shit like this:

You are dead inside.

ITT Gamers are fuckin' serious about serious shit..

which is after I praise stupidly written games like KotC or Blackguards. I'm not "serious" or "dead inside" because I call run-of-the-mill shit run-of-the-mill. I'm still more than able to appreciate the nice moments of gaming in D:OS.

TwinkieGorilla said:
Anyway, my point condensed:

* BioWare games make me feel embarrassed for humanity and the actual games themselves are usually popamole shit.

* Larian makes me go "hehe" and the actual game is pretty damn fuggin' good.

My counterpoints:

* If teenagers make you despair for humanity, never become a parent.

* If Larian makes you go "hehe", you might share more interests with teenagers than you'd like to admit.

sry about that last one :oops:

Last edited:

Sodafish

Arcane
I couldn't watch that video for more than about 3 minutes

:killitwithfire:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom