Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Zeriel

Arcane
Fucking hell, this game is fucking addictive. I've played almost 12 hours today, suddenly noticed that I'm starving so I gotta make couple sandwiches and take a break from teh fun.

Every so often I start to wonder why I'm so bored/unmotivated to play games anymore, think maybe I'm outgrowing gaming as a whole, then a game like this comes along and reminds me that... nope, that little kid feeling is still there, just not provoked by most shitty, mcshit games.

Been playing this exclusively in co-op with a friend so haven't gotten very far, but most hilarious thing I've seen so far:

We were in Cyseal, digging up graves as per usual beta routine. Dug up the exploding skeleton imp grave. We all ran away. End turn, expecting to see the exploder chase after us with his trolly-ass waddle. Instead, Jake's dog walks up and we simultaneously make an "OHHHH" noise on Skype, and then there's an explosion and dog bits and ashes everywhere.

i've been playing with a party of three so far, just hit level 11. i thought my fighting jerk had lone wolf all this time, just realised I never picked it at creation.

:hero:

Deleted member 7219

I find the game hard to look at, it is so bright and colourful. Am I doing something wrong? I have all graphic settings on the highest, but I've disabled motion blur and DOF. Should I disable bloom too?

Zeriel

Arcane
I find the game hard to look at, it is so bright and colourful. Am I doing something wrong? I have all graphic settings on the highest, but I've disabled motion blur and DOF. Should I disable bloom too?

It's too bright, and you're asking if you should disable bloom? Well, yeah. Bloom is just a lot of white light implemented in a way that is supposed to mimic sunlight. If it is too bright, fiddle with bloom. If that doesn't work, gamma settings.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fucking hell, this game is fucking addictive. I've played almost 12 hours today, suddenly noticed that I'm starving again so I gotta make couple sandwiches and take a break again from teh fun.

Happens all around the place. I was supposed make some steak and fries today, but got stuck with the game after work. Not going to start cooking at midnight anymore, I need to get up around 5am.
-------------------------------------

It's been a good year, 2014. First MMXL, now D:OS -- both being fun as fucking hell; I'm hoping that I was just burned out on playing Wasteland 2 too much unfinished and that that's mostly what made it feel like a crawl in the mud on occasion (not touching it anymore before release), PoE "possibly" later this year. This year writes good history.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Ah jesus christ. This game is definitely filling a somewhat empty CRPG gap for the last few years. I was skeptical as to how co-op would alter the experience, but playing with a friend seems to obviously be what they were going for as the companions are average at best - and the whole conduit idea is undoubtedly placed with two people in mind. But the sheer amount of content here, and the fact that it's consistently satisfying, makes this in my best CRPGs list.

We've already put in 46 hours since release day. Goodbye social life haha.

Anyone know what Larians plans are for the features that didn't make final cut - day/night cycle etc...?

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I still can't believe how big this game is.

Completing first map by looking every nook and cranny while knowing where I need to go already took me 20 hours.

It is a frightening feeling as I am not sure if I will be able to finish the game or at least finish it as easy as I usually complete RPGs. It has been some time since I felt it. Like, late 90's maybe.
It is certanly not fucking casual Shadowrun. Now I remember how it used to be, playing dem RPGs.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh my god, the combat text in the baron of bones + his lady + minstrel encounter is amazing. It's so touching, and just so good. Loved their voice acting, too. I'm heartbroken now.

Also, I've met DarkUnderlord (warning, many screenshots follow):

2014-07-03_00012.jpg
2014-07-03_00013.jpg
2014-07-03_00015.jpg
2014-07-03_00017.jpg
2014-07-03_00018.jpg
2014-07-03_00019.jpg

Renevent

Cipher
I don't agree with the premises that RPG's should be text heavy (unless it's that kind of RPG), and the example you brought up I find to be pretty odd. Dark Souls has very little text/dialog compared to D:OS. NPC's more often than not say little more than a blurb, there's probably like 1/100th of dialog.
The text heavy part is on item description. Otherwise, there isn't that much dialogue, which is fine considering the main character is undead that escaped from undead asylum is on rampage and is winning.

But of course it would be funny to hear 5 minute long monologue from a policeman about how they should take him back to an asylum to stop being threat to the society, responded by spear from main character piercing his brain, followed by words: who's next?

Text heavy? Most items have like 1 or 2 quick blurbs about them. Your argument makes zero sense. If your opinion was that RPG's should be text heavy and that's that...fine...but using Dark Souls as an example? Crazy talk.

lit.jpg

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Oh my god, the combat text in the baron of bones + his lady + minstrel encounter is amazing. It's so touching, and just so good. Loved their voice acting, too. I'm heartbroken now.
Oh that one was quite excellent. A shame they're not real characters, just mobs to kill. I would do some quests for them.

tumblr_mf9dzq5zOT1s0vusro1_500.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

Also, I've met DarkUnderlord (warning, many screenshots follow):

I was under the impression that you were further into the game. But maybe you are, because I'm seeing those things you're talking about now (DU and Baron fight), with creatures 3-4 levels higher than me (I am 4-5 with my characters). Yet I've done everything I can in town (all quests now leading me to level 6-7 areas). Am I missing something? Some hidden under-the-well dungeon for levels 4-6?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was under the impression that you were further into the game. But maybe you are, because I'm seeing those things you're talking about now (DU and Baron fight), with creatures 3-4 levels higher than me (I am 4-5 with my characters). Yet I've done everything I can in town (all quests now leading me to level 6-7 areas). Am I missing something? Some hidden under-the-well dungeon for levels 4-6?

Well, there's a small dungeon
under the graveyard

Other than that, I dunno. I was level 4 when I started exploring the outside iirc, and I was doing just fine. Head through the northwestern gate first.

My first outside boss fight was the lighthouse guard. I was level 4, I think, and it was pretty easy.

Also, you shouldn't really have too much problems fighting regular enemies 1-2 levels above you.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

Well, there's a small dungeon
under the graveyard

Other than that, I dunno. I was level 4 when I started exploring the outside iirc, and I was doing just fine. Head through the northwestern gate first.

My first outside boss fight was the lighthouse guard. I was level 4, and it was pretty easy.

Also, you shouldn't really have too much problems fighting regular (non-boss) enemies 1-2 levels above you.
yeah. I didn't have any problems with the orc leader to the north-west or the black wolf and his pack to the south-east. both levels 6 or 7, when I was 4. the baron fight - being a 7 boss - messes me up.

I just remembered that I turned around in the black cove. I should probably head back there.

thanks for the graveyard tip, I'll try look for it.

Answermancer

Educated
Crafting is supposed to be "shit, things, fun".
Well the Things you create are mostly Shit so I guess it works as intended then. As for Fun, it's only fun when you look at it as a concept. If you actually want to manage and create items for common use, it becomes a boring chore quickly. The only good thing about the system is that it rewards player for experimenting, sort of.
But then a crafting window with recipes poping if you do things right would also serve that purpose.

Yeah I find the crafting pretty tedious after a while, I like the experimentation, and I would leave it as is at the start (have to discover how to make things) but then I'd really add some sort of QoL features for once you're further in the game.

Things like:
- A real recipe list, ideally with expandable/collapsible categories and items so I can just expand Food->Pizza or something to see what it requires, and maybe I can click on the Dough in there to see how that's made (obviously a basic example). The list would only show things you've already made at least once.
-
Maybe some extra automation related to that so that I can then click make "Make This" once I've selected my Pizza so I don't have to search through the huge inventory for where the Flour and the Water happen to have ended up last time I sorted it.
- A way to gather some stuff more quickly would be nice, like as of now I think the only way to get water is to drag a bucket onto a well? This gives 1 "unit" of water, if you have 6 sacks of flour and want to make 6 dough this gets tedious real fast.

Crooked Bee

Patron
yeah. I didn't have any problems with the orc leader to the north-west or the black wolf and his pack to the south-east. both levels 6 or 7, when I was 4. the baron fight - being a 7 boss - messes me up.

I just remembered that I turned around in the black cove. I should probably head back there.

thanks for the graveyard tip, I'll try look for it.

There's really a lot of stuff to do before you face the baron. I've done evelyn's quest line before that, for example, but I haven't done the black cove yet. There are many side quests, encounters, nooks and crannies to explore, etc., out there; you shouldn't have too much trouble gaining exp to level up if you explore thoroughly.

Tigranes

Arcane
Crafting I am hardly using at the moment because it just needs much better menus. It is really far too hard to keep track of all the ingredients and recipes and look at different windows, etc. It should be a list of discovered recipes you can click to make again, and then a list of all ingredients you can combine. Even Skyrim had superior UI for this shit.

otsego

Cipher
I am completely taken by this game, giving my extra keys to family and urging my friends and even acquaintances to purchase it to experience its glory.

I've got many (minor) gripes and have encountered quite a few bugs so far... but... Is D:OS actually this good? Or am I/WE so relieved there's a light at the end of the decline that makes this feel so much better than it is?

21 hours in... and thats only two days! Last time I spent so much consecutive time on a game was on Fallout 1. Not out of Cyseal... getting into the groove of the mechanics... can't wait for what the game will throw at me next...

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Does anybody know what I accidentally did to make all the characters highlighted in either blue, green or red?

Perkel

Arcane
you can shwitch it on with top down view (right side of minimap). It is great for sticky situations where you need tell char how to precisely go to its target.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
you can shwitch it on with top down view (right side of minimap). It is great for sticky situations where you need tell char how to precisely go to its target.
And to find those goddamn rats

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom