Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Dominions 6

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So I have 2 games with Pyrene in EA now and I am kinda confused. What am I supposed to do with these guys?

I think you want a bit of scale especially gold and Rec Point so Order is a must. The Mairu Giants will be your bread and butter and they are rather expensive. Regarding Bless you could either focus on SC Bless or Troop Bless but not both, your SCs are giants while your troops are basically a Sacred, better EA Heavy Infantry. I am not even sure if the Sacred troops are even scaleable enough to be worth taking more candles. They just die too easily and they are cap only.

Expansion is rather easy so long you are not swamped with Shades. The Giants just murder everything, the cheap troops with net are amazing against anything that's not Trogoldytes. But here lies the first problem. Unlike most other cave nation I think you really REALLY want to expand up the ground. Your cap only mage is amazing (Sorginaks) but you non Cap Mage (Mairu E1 and E1?1 Shaman) sucks and you want to get an unforted fortress to get the neat mages. This means stepping on other people toes early probably. The other problem is if you don't get good access to forests or cave entrance. It gonna screw you up.

First war unless against Elves or better Giant Nation is probably very winnable from pure troop power and raw HP. The problem is end of year 2 onwards. Suddenly everybody cut your giants like hot knives through butter. This means you really really want Alt 6 and 7 for the big Nat Prot buff as the giant troops are effectively unarmored? These 2 games I am going for Cons 5 for that sweet Jentil bonus and thugging but this feels like a waste of RP considering by Year 3 those singular thugs suddenly is very vulnerable to counter thug or just mages while your troops just die without Alteration buffs? Is going Cons 5 early a trap here?

TheDarkUrge

Educated
About to win my first MP game ever as Ermor and one thing I noticed is the insane amount of lines I keep drawing. I've pinned CTIS in their capital with harvesters killing their pop as their slow god tries to group their stacks together for a final fight. My main army is filled with 4 wraith lords just SW of my capital. Funny how the closest throne to me ended up being the last for me to capture. I thank agartha for taking all the heat off of me with his throne rush and getting himself coalitioned in the process. Ctis was still regrouping after taking a throne from agartha when I attacked.

Despite Agartha's throne rush making it easier at the end of the game I mainly attribute my success to crippling Ind early. Their priest lines are terrifying to fight against, and had Ind managed to get a critical mass of them I imagine they would wipe me easily. Ind even managed a retake of their capital with just trash nonsacred chaff and a few priests while I was busy dealing with Ulm. I had virtually zero problem with anyone else, pythium managed to lose his grand archon god storming my fort filled with just regular longdeads because he fatigued out lol. Somehow I have still not been earthquaked, but that spell wouldn't be effective against my good stacks of lictors/wailing ladies/wraithlords anyway.

I had a lot of fun with Ermor and they'd be a flawless nation for me if there was some way to fix their research speed without having to find indie mages.
https://streamable.com/jk0fqr
Finally 1 turn from winning in my game! I think there's no way for anyone to stop me from claiming the throne. Agartha didnt want to cast earthquake so I had free reign with 4k skeletons along with rigor mortis/darkness and healthy doses of shadowblast/banefires going off. Banefire was very strong versus his clumped units. Ctis tried to earthquake my army as it was posturing for the final fight but he was 1 turn too late because I moved before he arrived. His god still died to my reinforcements of wraith lords + lictors anyway, basically making it a done deal that he can't contest my throne capture the upcoming turn.

Final thoughts:
-Death magic spells seem the strongest, once I got duskelders going I was unstoppable. Even early on with just spectators ghost grip was very helpful.
-Rushing harvesters of sorrows was really dumb. I got very lucky the agartha tried to throne rush instead of punishing my 160 death gem investment into these things. I think grabbing sorrows later is still a great idea. The things are a menace, I probably killed 100k population with the eight I made not to mention the cost of patrolling/magic recruitment I made my opponents do to try and find them
-Dracolich without blood vengeance actually seems very strong defensively but if you ever want to capture a fort it's really really costly lictor wise and your dracolich in hostile dom is barely more useful than a dusk elder. I wouldnt even try storming in hostile dominion unless you have an overwhelming advantage or absolutely need to stop something fast.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I have a question for most experimented MP players : do you have a rule of thumb or a basic idea on which turn you can expect to reach a certain level of research, say 500 or 1000rp per turn ?

wouldn't this heavily depend on what you play?
Sure, but I was wondering whether one could have a basic target, similar to the well known first year one : since we get to aim for 12 provinces and a fort, maybe one can expect to reach 1000rp by year 4 or something.

I have a question for most experimented MP players : do you have a rule of thumb or a basic idea on which turn you can expect to reach a certain level of research, say 500 or 1000rp per turn ?
No, raw rp number means nothing. I aim for certain spells, good example was my Asphodel game where I timed alt5 to my dormant pretender waking up to cast mother oak.
Ok, thanks for the hint. I find timing research in MP much more difficult than in SP where your next goal is a couple press on "e" away. It had been a disaster in the EA CodexGame, now in MA it is a bit better but I have no idea how well or badly I can be doing.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So I have 2 games with Pyrene in EA now and I am kinda confused. What am I supposed to do with these guys?

I think you want a bit of scale especially gold and Rec Point so Order is a must. The Mairu Giants will be your bread and butter and they are rather expensive. Regarding Bless you could either focus on SC Bless or Troop Bless but not both, your SCs are giants while your troops are basically a Sacred, better EA Heavy Infantry. I am not even sure if the Sacred troops are even scaleable enough to be worth taking more candles. They just die too easily and they are cap only.

Expansion is rather easy so long you are not swamped with Shades. The Giants just murder everything, the cheap troops with net are amazing against anything that's not Trogoldytes. But here lies the first problem. Unlike most other cave nation I think you really REALLY want to expand up the ground. Your cap only mage is amazing (Sorginaks) but you non Cap Mage (Mairu E1 and E1?1 Shaman) sucks and you want to get an unforted fortress to get the neat mages. This means stepping on other people toes early probably. The other problem is if you don't get good access to forests or cave entrance. It gonna screw you up.

First war unless against Elves or better Giant Nation is probably very winnable from pure troop power and raw HP. The problem is end of year 2 onwards. Suddenly everybody cut your giants like hot knives through butter. This means you really really want Alt 6 and 7 for the big Nat Prot buff as the giant troops are effectively unarmored? These 2 games I am going for Cons 5 for that sweet Jentil bonus and thugging but this feels like a waste of RP considering by Year 3 those singular thugs suddenly is very vulnerable to counter thug or just mages while your troops just die without Alteration buffs? Is going Cons 5 early a trap here?
I had a look at them when picking a nation for our EA game and they look weak. Only thing they have is cap only giants the troops don't seem interesting either. And no summons to speak of.

With that in mind I'd tailor my pretender towards a very heavy giant thug bless for cap only and rec anywhere giants. Larger, regen, awe, ethereal, resistances, fire shield - I'd pick from among those blesses, probably dormant if expansion is indeed easy for them (haven't tested). Once your pretender wakes up go kill someone with cons3 items and alt3 blesses.

If you find yourself in caves with other nations you MUST kill them ASAP, both Agartha and Xibalba outscale you easily. For Agartha I'd just rush with troops, your troops are weak but his are even worse.

As for mid and late game you have none as a nation so the pretender has to provide that too. This means high astral and high death are preferred.

TheDarkUrge

Educated

I had a look at them when picking a nation for our EA game and they look weak. Only thing they have is cap only giants the troops don't seem interesting either. And no summons to speak of.

With that in mind I'd tailor my pretender towards a very heavy giant thug bless for cap only and rec anywhere giants. Larger, regen, awe, ethereal, resistances, fire shield - I'd pick from among those blesses, probably dormant if expansion is indeed easy for them (haven't tested). Once your pretender wakes up go kill someone with cons3 items and alt3 blesses.

If you find yourself in caves with other nations you MUST kill them ASAP, both Agartha and Xibalba outscale you easily. For Agartha I'd just rush with troops, your troops are weak but his are even worse.

As for mid and late game you have none as a nation so the pretender has to provide that too. This means high astral and high death are preferred.
Do you think it's possible for MA abysia to beat MA agartha underground? Or should I just ask hosts to spawn me above ground. I had fun in my Ermor game but I want to try something without slow ass research too. Abysia is my next choice but I heard it's near impossible to beat agartha down there. And cavemen also fuck over your expansion as abysia too.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Do you think it's possible for MA abysia to beat MA agartha underground? Or should I just ask hosts to spawn me above ground. I had fun in my Ermor game but I want to try something without slow ass research too. Abysia is my next choice but I heard it's near impossible to beat agartha down there. And cavemen also fuck over your expansion as abysia too.
First I ever hear about that being an issue.

The advantage of being in a death match (locked in one big cave or big lake with one-two nations) is the fact that you know who you are fighting and can build accordingly.

Abysia has heavily armored hard hitting troops while Agartha has low def targets with decent armor. Its a good match-up especially since classic Agarthan early game counter to rush - magma kids - won't work on you at all.

Just tailor your bless towards killing them, if you feel like you need extra help get awake pretender and tank scales.

Why would indie cavemen be an issue, sure they hit hard but you do too and they have shit prot.

TheDarkUrge

Educated

The advantage of being in a death match (locked in one big cave or big lake with one-two nations) is the fact that you know who you are fighting and can build accordingly.

Abysia has heavily armored hard hitting troops while Agartha has low def targets with decent armor. Its a good match-up especially since classic Agarthan early game counter to rush - magma kids - won't work on you at all.

Just tailor your bless towards killing them, if you feel like you need extra help get awake pretender and tank scales.

Why would indie cavemen be an issue, sure they hit hard but you do too and they have shit prot.
The main issue I hear is how agartha can suicide bomb with earthquake since it's only evo 5. It does a billion damage underground and armor wont save anyone really. Abysia can kill cavemen if they make the cheaper slave units to outnumber them, but the expensive units seemed to trade 1:1 with even numbers, and it's hard to tell exactly how many cavemen are in a province so it's gotten me wiped a few times expanding early. I've had way more success spawning above ground.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

The main issue I hear is how agartha can suicide bomb with earthquake since it's only evo 5. It does a billion damage underground and armor wont save anyone really. Abysia can kill cavemen if they make the cheaper slave units to outnumber them, but the expensive units seemed to trade 1:1 with even numbers, and it's hard to tell exactly how many cavemen are in a province so it's gotten me wiped a few times expanding early. I've had way more success spawning above ground.
EQ in caves is indeed an issue but the cave collapse effect only covers 10% of battlefield, so depending on RNG it can either absolutely murder your army (if the 10% is your tiles) or don't do anything (when it covers empty tiles). In my experience however its overstated and overblown.

Also evo5 is way too deep for a rush/knife fight situation, the war in this setting usually starts right away, often even before expansion is finished. We are talking one capital fort vs one capital fort, often with recruiting indies to boost numbers.

Finally expanding in caves is very hard for everyone, that includes cave nations, but Abysia should have a better time with it than Agartha.

Pro tip BTW: attack provinces with scouts set to retreat, thats 100% accurate scouting. Trusting on map scouting is a recipe for disaster.

Another tip for Abysia: you can recruit a few assassins and assassinate all indie commanders in provinces then take them with one unit since they will rout leaderless.

TheDarkUrge

Educated

EQ in caves is indeed an issue but the cave collapse effect only covers 10% of battlefield, so depending on RNG it can either absolutely murder your army (if the 10% is your tiles) or don't do anything (when it covers empty tiles). In my experience however its overstated and overblown.

Also evo5 is way too deep for a rush/knife fight situation, the war in this setting usually starts right away, often even before expansion is finished. We are talking one capital fort vs one capital fort, often with recruiting indies to boost numbers.

Finally expanding in caves is very hard for everyone, that includes cave nations, but Abysia should have a better time with it than Agartha.

Pro tip BTW: attack provinces with scouts set to retreat, thats 100% accurate scouting. Trusting on map scouting is a recipe for disaster.

Another tip for Abysia: you can recruit a few assassins and assassinate all indie commanders in provinces then take them with one unit since they will rout leaderless.
Alright ill try assassin expanding and knife fighting agartha ASAP if we end up in the same caves. I'm in an MA abysia game right now and cast horror seed ~5 times on the two people attacking me I'm excited to see what happens with that lol.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Question: If you cast a spell and it is foiled by a dome in a province, do you get a message stating anything to that effect? Because I just tried casting a spell and nothing happened, and I'm not sure if it was because of a dome or a bug.

Johannes

Arcane
Question: If you cast a spell and it is foiled by a dome in a province, do you get a message stating anything to that effect? Because I just tried casting a spell and nothing happened, and I'm not sure if it was because of a dome or a bug.
At least defender gets a notification when dome stops something. Maybe attacker does too if they have a scout in the province, but not sure about that.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
IIRC Some prov affecting spells precisely says that: to know the result you need to have scout in it

Popot

Augur
I won the LA game I asked help with a few pages back, that makes my first Dominions MP victory (surely my parents will proud).
I managed to hold off C'tis with my Golden Lion until Laestrygonians came online. I equipped them with Robe of Shadows, Flambeau plus MR boosters (EDIT forgot to mention rings of regeneration); with this setup plus some in battle buffs one of them could kill reliably 100 wyrms before going down, even more once Phoenix Pyre was researched.
Game turned into a war of attrition between me and C'tis until he went AI at turn 60 for reason unknown. That left me free reign to grab enough thrones to win at turn 71. Atlantis player didn't manage to recover from the early rush and helped me win, while Midgard player was simply clueless.
Some graphs and screens for the curious:
20240715174441-1.jpg
20240715174235-1.jpg
20240715174218-1.jpg
20240715174935-1.jpg
ksnip-20240715-185933.png
ksnip-20240715-185801.png
ksnip-20240715-185905.png

Last edited:

Popot

Augur
Nice! But did he ever try casting... bane fire?
Not really, he fielded very few bane fire crossbowmen (crossbowlizards?) and my Tyrants had in average 20+ MR. Only a couple died to decay.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not really, he fielded very few bane fire crossbowmen (crossbowlizards?) and my Tyrants had in average 20+ MR. Only a couple died to decay.
No no the evo6 spell that is D3F1, exactly like his Sauromancers, and does 55AP damage in aoe1 plus secondary decay effect that if MR fails will melt almost any thug into a mess of afflictions and old age...

While LA C'tis always was undead summons central the bane fire was the usual addition since it obliterates almost all thugs.

Popot

Augur
No no the evo6 spell that is D3F1, exactly like his Sauromancers, and does 55AP damage in aoe1 plus secondary decay effect that if MR fails will melt almost any thug into a mess of afflictions and old age...
Luckily he did not cast that spell. C'tis was sending around wyrm stacks with little support.

TheDarkUrge

Educated

While LA C'tis always was undead summons central the bane fire was the usual addition since it obliterates almost all thugs.
Yeah I love banefire. I'm currently using a demilich with abysia and it's kind of funny casting wind of death -> banefire spam to whittle down stacks. I also used banefire to great effect with Ermor.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So, since the EA game is fizzling out, and a few nations dropped off from the MA Pankobowl already, do we want to start up something for LA?

Dayyālu

Arcane
So, since the EA game is fizzling out, and a few nations dropped off from the MA Pankobowl already, do we want to start up something for LA?

I can't join another game before EA ends (for obvious reasons) but we can start organizing a LA game if that's the will of the people. I'll work on that this weekend.

Pity, there are a lot of LA nations I enjoy massively and some new ones that I would like to try. And it's not the devil cuckold one, I swear.

Tanaka

Educated

I can't join another game before EA ends (for obvious reasons) but we can start organizing a LA game if that's the will of the people. I'll work on that this weekend.

Pity, there are a lot of LA nations I enjoy massively and some new ones that I would like to try. And it's not the devil cuckold one, I swear.
Was there already an MA game? Damn I thought we were doing MA after the EA game ended...

Andnjord

Arcane

Was there already an MA game? Damn I thought we were doing MA after the EA game ended...
Been at it a while now, we’re at turn 36 currently and you can find a concise and totally impartial account of the current situation in the last post.

Dayyālu

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom