Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Dominions 6

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Separate mount simulation really shows how based and redpilled these people are.
Like between a rider and his horse ? I thought we had it already.

Aemar

Arcane
95% of all the sprites will still be the same as the previous iteration.
Illwinter is the only company in existence that can get away with releasing patched versions of the same initial game while calling it a new product. They didn't even bother to change the title font from Dom5.

yeah but when conquest of elysium 6, dominos is for nerd.s..
CoE is a shitty trash game. As always nerds stay winning.
CoE's complexity and mechanics put the rest of the games in the genre to shame, even more so with the total overhaul mod on.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Illwinter is the only company in existence that can get away with releasing patched versions of the same initial game while calling it a new product. They didn't even bother to change the title font from Dom5.

CoE's complexity and mechanics put the rest of the games in the genre to shame, even more so with the total overhaul mod on.
Dominions over CoE forever.
In any case, doesn't Jeff Vogel do the same thing as Illwinter? Feel like he does. Same Sprites every time from the 1990s.

Aemar

Arcane
I said they're the only ones that can actually get away with it, since they always work on improving their games. Each new release is an obvious upgrade of their previous game, unlike Vogel's.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

Dominions over CoE forever.
In any case, doesn't Jeff Vogel do the same thing as Illwinter? Feel like he does. Same Sprites every time from the 1990s.
No, Vogel replaces decent old graphics with horribad new ones.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Any love for single player in Dominions 6? Also would be nice if they added some basic automation for searching magical sites, scouting etc. Mid-late game starts to feel really overwhelming, because of the huge amount of micro you have to do, especially on big maps. :M

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The correct way to enjoy Dominion is to spend one hour to design the perfect awake pretender God and lose it on second turn to heavy infantry.

communard

Arcane
All it needs for SP to be bearable at least into the late mid-game is interactive diplomacy with the AI. Doesn't have to be fancy at all, just the ability to buy or enforce peace for X turns based on some hidden strength calculation.

Gaznak

Learned
When I played Dom2 I was elated. When I played Dom3 I was excited. When I played Dom4 I was even-minded. When I played Dom5 I was uninterested. When I see Dom6 now I'm sardonic.

They managed to sell the same game over and over again for 20 years already. They shove new nations into the game while many old nations are abandoned and left unfinished and unbalanced. In fact, they sell the make-it-yourself fantasy game constructor set for modders, and for a hefty price, even for the 'obsolete' ones like Dom3.

Well, OK, there are people who are agree and willingly pay for it. Not me, sorry. I gave them too much money already, and the reward is found wanting.

Mortmal

Arcane
When I played Dom2 I was elated. When I played Dom3 I was excited. When I played Dom4 I was even-minded. When I played Dom5 I was uninterested. When I see Dom6 now I'm sardonic.

They managed to sell the same game over and over again for 20 years already. They shove new nations into the game while many old nations are abandoned and left unfinished and unbalanced. In fact, they sell the make-it-yourself fantasy game constructor set for modders, and for a hefty price, even for the 'obsolete' ones like Dom3.

Well, OK, there are people who are agree and willingly pay for it. Not me, sorry. I gave them too much money already, and the reward is found wanting.
More than 20 years ago, I can remember Conquest of Elysium 2 on the Atari ST in 1997. It is the same iteration of the same game, with more or less improvements. It is true that I don't see much difference between Dominion 6 and 5, for example. It is likely that the game will be lackluster solo with no improvement to the AI (and why would it happen, you already need 24GB cards with CUDA cores to run some LLM chat machines, so you aren't going to get improvement on basic PC gamer hardware). In multiplayer, the same meta builds will be used by everyone. Yet most of us will cash in because there is simply too little on offer and nothing else to play, as usual.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

I can't help but treat this as a subscription service of a sort. Llama continues to add more and more stuff over time, in terms of both base content as well as moddability and base engine improvements. I'm happy to shill out a full-game price every few years or so, as I really enjoy the underlying game.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

I feel like while it is true that there isn't a huge amount of differentiation between additions you still get quite a lot of mileage per dollar compared to devs like Paradox. The real problem is that AI as most people agree. Single player just doesn't get enough support. Well also I personally have moved on mostly because the non-combat stuff is just so simplistic. Sure the god designer and the, relative to other games, insanely detailed magic system with tons of difference effects are awesome, but the game just doesn't provide the "context" to make me really appreciate those elements.

I wish a more modern game like AoW4, but specifically not AoW4 itself, would take the breadth of the Dominions magic system and combine it with a much better UI, more interesting strategic layer, and even a half assed AI.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And for SP to be enjoyable you would have to introduce functional AI which I don't think they know how to do, especially without cutting content.
Eh, not really.

The single player AI is good enough to have fun with the game in SP.

The only real problem is that there is no AI diplomacy.
Nothing fancy would be needed, just some basic alliance/ceasefire/etc. options as well as trading and you'd be good to go.
As it is right now, all SP games are FFA, which is a shame.

Ain't no way I'd be playing this in MP again, I just don't have the time or desire anymore to fine-tune a single turn for hours for the months a single game can take :lol:

"There are also a number of changes intended to ease gameplay."
Sounds nice, but I doubt that'd help a lot with that particular issue.

I wish there was a way to automate portions of the gameplay, similar to how it is done in Distant Worlds 2, let me decide what I want to manage, the rest can be done by default AI.
I'd gladly accept the subpar result in exchange for being able to play later turns faster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom