Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

9ted6

Educated
Watched that shit, it's impressive how every Bioware character nowadays is just is just a cringe ass annoying twat.
It's the Marvelization or Whedonising of media as a whole. Nothing's safe from it.

Also Animeising, but of a peculiar kind - by removing everything that is based and leaving and emphasizing what is annoying.
The problem is that the audience of landwhales and other assorted forever alones in their 20s, 30s, and possibly even 40s, glom onto this shit and act like it's not a problem or indication of serious stunting in emotional and intellectual development that they like consuming media aimed at tweeners.
That and it's the best example of how far removed DA is in 2023 from what it was in 2009.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Also, since Origins Dragon age got progressively...childish. The decline is obvious:
DAO: you had your fiancee slain in elven origin, family murdered in human, can bargain with Desire demon to have little girl as a host, killing here soul effectively, can sell magic kid soul, can sell elves to slavery - which is obviously right thing to do, can sell elven tribe to werewolves, murder friends, go full blodd magic and desecrate remains of the holiest woman in thedas, execute Alistair.
DA2: yoг had your mother dismembered and stitched together with other cadavers, sister\brother dies, obviously morally virtuous selling of fenris to his rightful master, force Varric to kill his brother
DAI: I seriously can't remember any truly gritty or "hard" choices, entire game is so childish and their plots are on a 15 y.o. fanfics.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also, since Origins Dragon age got progressively...childish. The decline is obvious:
DAO: you had your fiancee slain in elven origin, family murdered in human, can bargain with Desire demon to have little girl as a host, killing here soul effectively, can sell magic kid soul, can sell elves to slavery - which is obviously right thing to do, can sell elven tribe to werewolves, murder friends, go full blodd magic and desecrate remains of the holiest woman in thedas, execute Alistair.
DA2: yoг had your mother dismembered and stitched together with other cadavers, sister\brother dies, obviously morally virtuous selling of fenris to his rightful master, force Varric to kill his brother
DAI: I seriously can't remember any truly gritty or "hard" choices, entire game is so childish and their plots are on a 15 y.o. fanfics.

Yeah. I still have a hard time believing people around here completed DAI. I couldn't get passed the first few hours. Awful game.

Myobi

Liturgist
seradragon-age.jpg

Mass-Effect-Andromeda-How-to-Romance-Peebee-Update_feature.jpg

sddefault.jpg

"Comedy" relief, top notch shit, almost as good as "MAH VAGINA".

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Setting went from grimdark to anime dating sim.

Zeriel

Arcane
Watched that shit, it's impressive how every Bioware character nowadays is just is just a cringe ass annoying twat.
It's the Marvelization or Whedonising of media as a whole. Nothing's safe from it.

Also Animeising, but of a peculiar kind - by removing everything that is based and leaving and emphasizing what is annoying.

Eh, I only watched part of that because I respect myself and my time too much to let it keep running :P but it seems like the sort of "zany cartoon" shit that would be directed at children back in the day. And I have no issue with that at all.

The problem is that the audience of landwhales and other assorted forever alones in their 20s, 30s, and possibly even 40s, glom onto this shit and act like it's not a problem or indication of serious stunting in emotional and intellectual development that they like consuming media aimed at tweeners.

Eh, it seems more like a style of cultural output to me. Back in the 90s teenagers wanted stuff to be more adult. That was the appeal. I'm not sure you can even say it's infantilizing per se, just a certain kind of taste. After all you can be a 30 year old manchild and like Elric. Hell, people used to say stuff like Heavy Metal magazine or over the top violence was "immature". Characterizing it as excessively socialized or more specifically "feminized" might be the point. People are more feminized than they used to be, and left-wing culture in general is very feminine, whereas fiction of the 90s and early 00s was a lot more overt about catering to traditionally male impulses (i.e tits, gore, blood n guts, "YOU ARE THE MAN!" wish fulfillment etc).

A-Minish

Educated
I talked with a few of those, they though that DA2 was good. I still remember the first thing one of them told me when I spoke of DA:O, she said "I loved DA2. Isabella is so HOT" with great enthusiasm. I said nothing as I held back my urge to laugh and we never spoke of Dragon Age ever again. It was back in hight school, more than ten years ago, but I do hope they grew out of it, there were nice folks.
Yeah. I still have a hard time believing people around here completed DAI. I couldn't get passed the first few hours. Awful game.
I did, and frankly there was a few good things but yeah it is globaly bad or mediocre. I forced myself to finish it entirely at least once after doing Dragon's Dogma, GOD the combats felt painful most of the time :x

At this point they should have gone the way of Sunless Seas/Vagrus, with text events upon text events, artworks, etc. A mix between an interactive novel and a video game. It could have been better for everyone.

I wonder how art style will change, given their latest investemnt in anime faggotry and comic degeneracy.

8OVUsxF.png

The game's not for us chuds anymore.

This is a truth that has been known for a long time.

However, it seems to me that Bioware is already so far in terms of wokeisation and tubrlisation that their potential audience base can only shrink (even if these trends seem dominant, remember that the mainstream has its limits, and things that are too intense cannot be mainstream).

BTW:

Check also chanell name :D

I wonder how art style will change, given their latest investemnt in anime faggotry and comic degeneracy.

I do hate these special snowflake demon girls.

Typical D&D tiefling masquerading as Qunari.

I wonder why these weirdos prefer demonic races over, I don't know, angels? Are they all possessed or what?

Was Alex Jones right again?

much more simple -- it's done to upset daddy, who is most likely a WASP

9ted6

Educated
It's not just the lack of evil options but the lack of any good options too. Nothing is taken seriously in the later games compared to the first one.

Even the most devout characters of all races see religion as a joke, no one cares about honor or discipline, everyone's gay, quippy and hedonistic and the Inquisition feels more like a social club than a last desperate chantry organization. Any heroic groups from past games like the Wardens are retarded and saving the day doesn't involve virtuous or pragmatic choices or sacrifice but sexual and racial diversity as everyone makes jokes and fucks each other.

You can't play a bad guy or a good guy anymore, you can only play a reddit user.

It's not just the lack of evil options but the lack of any good options too. Nothing is taken seriously in the later games compared to the first one.

Even the most devout characters of all races see religion as a joke, no one cares about having honor or discipline, everyone's gay, quippy and hedonistic and the Inquisition feels more like a social club than a last desperate chantry organization. Any heroic groups from past games like the Wardens are retarded and saving the day doesn't involve virtuous or pragmatic choices or sacrifice but sexual and racial diversity as everyone makes jokes and fucks each other.

You can't play a bad guy or a good guy anymore, you can only play as a reddit user.
The americanization of western fantasy

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, the premise and main driving force in DAI is shit.
BG3 - you have a worm, that will eat your brain and your main goal is to remove it.
BG2, MOTB - you have your soul stolen. Enough said.
DAO - Blight is rolling and you have to stop it to survive. Overall situation is presented nicely - panic, refugees, intrigues.
DAI - a hole in the sky that you closed. But why should you fight Corypheus? It is really not explained why exactly you have to defeat him, as you close the hole in the sky in the first mission. Whole driving force is that you decided to help, and lead the Inquisition. Everyone ignores warp rifts.

mediocrepoet

Patron
BG3 - you have a worm, that will eat your brain and your main goal is to remove it.
DAO - Blight is rolling and you have to stop it to survive. Overall situation is presented nicely - panic, refugees, intrigues.
DAI - a hole in the sky that you closed. But why should you fight Corypheus? It is really not explained why exactly you have to defeat him, as you close the hole in the sky in the first mission. Whole driving force is that you decided to help, and lead the Inquisition. Everyone ignores warp rifts.

I haven't played beyond just setting up the first base camp after the prologue or whatever, but isn't the whole deal of DAI that the green sky shit is still expanding and going to like rip apart reality and drop the Fade into Thedas and only you can stop it with your magic green hurty hand?

I mean, I hate what they did with Dragon Age, but you should be fair and accurate unless something changes or I'm misremembering.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I haven't played beyond just setting up the first base camp after the prologue or whatever, but isn't the whole deal of DAI that the green sky shit is still expanding and going to like rip apart reality and drop the Fade into Thedas and only you can stop it with your magic green hurty hand?
You close expanding big hole in the end of first mission, next, there are only small rifts that does...nothing, just spawn some 3 demons once you approach them

mediocrepoet

Patron
You close expanding big hole in the end of first mission, next, there are only small rifts that does...nothing, just spawn some 3 demons once you approach them

That... sounds even dumber than I thought this game was. Impressive. :lol:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Small reminder that DAO was built and written when Bioware was still indépendant. And that it's somehow the only tolerable in the series.

Same with Mass Effect, but even the first game was built with the two sequels in mind, which mitigated EA's influence on these.

Morale of the story: stay indie.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
I can only remember a few barely grim dark momments from DAI:

It not shown but Cole's backstory is kinda fucked up but again, not actuall shown to us..Solas having to kill his Spirit friend during his Quest and Mage Quest has the whole ''What if scenario'' that has people being tortured and Lelina completly broken.. There's also that ONE real good side quest in the game where you have to drain the water of the old town and etcs.

But yeah, even the maps are have a High Fantasy vibe to them compared to the more Grim and down to earth maps from DAO and DA2.

9ted6

Educated

I mean, I hate what they did with Dragon Age, but you should be fair and accurate unless something changes or I'm misremembering.
The warp rifts end up having nothing to do with Corypheus or even your magic green hand, it's all just tricks by Solas who's trying to wipe out humans to make elves rule the world through a very long and illogical plot that included him making the Veil to separate the world from the Fade and conspiring with Mythal who's Flemeth to fabricate the religion of the Maker and Andraste for reasons that are never explained, and all the green warpy shit going on is him trying to destroy the Veil. He's the one who gave you the magic green hand for reasons that are also never explained and he takes it from you at the end of the last DLC. Trespasser makes the main game completely pointless and turns Corypheus into even more of an aimless assclown.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Small reminder that DAO was built and written when Bioware was still indépendant. And that it's somehow the only tolerable in the series.

Same with Mass Effect, but even the first game was built with the two sequels in mind, which mitigated EA's influence on these.

Morale of the story: stay indie.

It's called being bought out for a reason. You lose your autonomy and your creative freedom. Hope the money was worth it.

RIP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom