Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Bendu

Augur
Too bad we won't see anything from this in the game.

HflaPlZ.jpeg

i2Lbtai.jpeg

ljTdLub.jpeg

R3vNvVr.jpeg

nkUiuCr.jpeg

Qqja9eu.jpeg

qKklQyS.jpeg

6wzUUqp.jpeg

KGGP2aa.jpeg

Q6US233.jpeg

4VjUL2c.jpeg

Nqd6vPt.jpeg

qGpIFlf.jpeg

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Meh, fuck those story trailers. Show us teh gameplayt figgits.

Why? It's Souls combat. You already know what it looks like.

I want to see the new monsters and enviorments.

My main pet peeve about Elden Ring is the recycled shit i want to see how much original content they put in this DLC.
Yeah, for that reason I'm mildly interested in the DLC.

Overall I liked Elden Ring a lot, think its both one of the better open world and Soulsborne games, but hated all the recycling and repetition.

Hopefully DLC only adds fresh content, without repetition/reskinning of bosses.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Overall I liked Elden Ring a lot but hated all the recycling and repetition.
That's the problem, you make a game that's so absurdly gigantic you burn out half-way through and then you realize to fill it up you have to recycle a bunch of content.

I mean, nobody fucking asked for this. Literally nobody prefers quantity over quality.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Overall I liked Elden Ring a lot but hated all the recycling and repetition.
That's the problem, you make a game that's so absurdly gigantic you burn out half-way through and then you realize to fill it up you have to recycle a bunch of content.

I mean, nobody fucking asked for this. Literally nobody prefers quantity over quality.
Certainly not me.

However, there are abominations called MMO, and apparently some people do play them...

Stoned Ape

Savant
I've played this a lot over the past week or so, and I feel more relieved after beating boss fights than happy or satisfied. They make me so stressed out that it kind of removes any sense of accomplishment I get from eventually winning. Before every boss fight I've started to either grind a level or buy spells/items so I don't have to carry any runes when I fight them because losing runes makes me really salty.

I get far more fun from exploring somewhere like the Volcano Manor or Redmane Castle than I do fighting any of the boss battles so far, the world is beautifully designed and I'm still enjoying seeing more of it.

I think the toughest boss fight I've beaten was the big gargoyle outside the beast temple, and the most annoying one I can't figure out yet is the Redwolf field boss in the south west corner of the plateau you get to after beating Astel. It gets in and out of attack distance so fast I can't get a proper hit on it.

The least fun fight I've had was the Night's Cavalry in the Dragonbarrow. The number of times I had it down to it's last 15-20% of life but still managed to panic and die is incredibly frustrating. I didn't even get to kill it properly in the end, I had it down to the last bit of health and it sudokued itself off a cliff.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've played this a lot over the past week or so, and I feel more relieved after beating boss fights than happy or satisfied. They make me so stressed out that it kind of removes any sense of accomplishment I get from eventually winning. Before every boss fight I've started to either grind a level or buy spells/items so I don't have to carry any runes when I fight them because losing runes makes me really salty.

I get far more fun from exploring somewhere like the Volcano Manor or Redmane Castle than I do fighting any of the boss battles so far, the world is beautifully designed and I'm still enjoying seeing more of it.

I think the toughest boss fight I've beaten was the big gargoyle outside the beast temple, and the most annoying one I can't figure out yet is the Redwolf field boss in the south west corner of the plateau you get to after beating Astel. It gets in and out of attack distance so fast I can't get a proper hit on it.

The least fun fight I've had was the Night's Cavalry in the Dragonbarrow. The number of times I had it down to it's last 15-20% of life but still managed to panic and die is incredibly frustrating. I didn't even get to kill it properly in the end, I had it down to the last bit of health and it sudokued itself off a cliff.

I'd suggest that either these games aren't for you or that you should go back to the earlier games in the series (Demon's Souls or Dark Souls) and see if you enjoy them more since they're significantly easier and where it started.

Cheesedragon117

Educated

I'd suggest that either these games aren't for you or that you should go back to the earlier games in the series (Demon's Souls or Dark Souls) and see if you enjoy them more since they're significantly easier and where it started.
Really? He's made it to Volcano Manor and beaten Astel. It's a bit late to turn back now. He would have quit already if it was too much to bear.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Really? He's made it to Volcano Manor and beaten Astel. It's a bit late to turn back now. He would have quit already if it was too much to bear.
Less about perseverance or skill than this:

I feel more relieved after beating boss fights than happy or satisfied. They make me so stressed out that it kind of removes any sense of accomplishment I get from eventually winning. Before every boss fight I've started to either grind a level or buy spells/items so I don't have to carry any runes when I fight them because losing runes makes me really salty.

I just figured they'd be less stressful so he could see if he actually enjoys the genre or not. You're right though, it's probably just not his sort of thing.

I had similar feelings with some of the late game bosses. I was more glad that shit was over with than feeling satisfied about beating them. And I played all Dark Souls and Sekiro before Elden Ring. What Souls combat started turning into since DS III just doesn't click with me. No patience for studying these increasingly complicated boss move sets, especially when I already played other action games that suit my taste a lot better.

Stoned Ape

Savant

as Cheesedragon117 said, I think I'm pretty much committed to getting through this. I mentioned earlier on this thread that I don't tend to go back to games if I drop them and I try to make it through if I can as long as there is something I like about them. There is plenty I like about this, too... just not the boss battles :D

I did get close to dropping it from frustration a few times. There are two main issues I am contending with, the first one is my muscle memory is totally programmed to hit X on a controller to light attack and whenever I react reflexively I press that button. I have to consciously tell myself to hit R1 and when a boss battle is getting close I still end up pressing X extremely frequently because my body is programmed to and my brain is shouting 'window to hit now, attack!' instead of 'hit R1 to attack!'

The other issue is that for ages I thought you had to press B to dodgeroll, but actually you *release* B to dodgeroll. This messed with my timings a lot.

I don't think I'm going to be able to reprogram my hands entirely in order to not suffer issues and it's a problem because I have a huge delay in my reaction time because I have to think about pressing what I should when I should instead of behaving instinctively, but I also think if I rebind the buttons I'll end up in an even worse mess.

TL;DR I've made it this far so I feel like I'd be letting myself down if I quit now.

mediocrepoet

Patron

as Cheesedragon117 said, I think I'm pretty much committed to getting through this. I mentioned earlier on this thread that I don't tend to go back to games if I drop them and I try to make it through if I can as long as there is something I like about them. There is plenty I like about this, too... just not the boss battles :D

I did get close to dropping it from frustration a few times. There are two main issues I am contending with, the first one is my muscle memory is totally programmed to hit X on a controller to light attack and whenever I react reflexively I press that button. I have to consciously tell myself to hit R1 and when a boss battle is getting close I still end up pressing X extremely frequently because my body is programmed to and my brain is shouting 'window to hit now, attack!' instead of 'hit R1 to attack!'

The other issue is that for ages I thought you had to press B to dodgeroll, but actually you *release* B to dodgeroll. This messed with my timings a lot.

I don't think I'm going to be able to reprogram my hands entirely in order to not suffer issues and it's a problem because I have a huge delay in my reaction time because I have to think about pressing what I should when I should instead of behaving instinctively, but I also think if I rebind the buttons I'll end up in an even worse mess.

TL;DR I've made it this far so I feel like I'd be letting myself down if I quit now.

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily suggesting that you do or do not drop the game, so much as suggest that if you think there may be merit to the genre for yourself, go back and try the earlier ones and see if you like them any better. If you don't, you can probably fairly safely write off Soulslikes in general.

Stoned Ape

Savant

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily suggesting that you do or do not drop the game, so much as suggest that if you think there may be merit to the genre for yourself, go back and try the earlier ones and see if you like them any better. If you don't, you can probably fairly safely write off Soulslikes in general.
I'll probably give at least one more of them a try after this to see if they stick for me as a genre; there is a lot I enjoy about the artstyle, level design, writing, and 'mob' fighting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom