Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Cheesedragon117

Educated
More weapon and skill footage from the pre-release preview playtests.

The throwing knives and axes seem like an ideal candidate for the Unseen Blade spell in PvP combat.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
First @SumDrunkCat, now you? I don't have any compassion for broke boys. Everyone has an asshole, most people have a dick and balls, go outside and get a bag!!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You faggots got all butthurt by my praise of Lies of P, but the truth is: it's got the super tight combat and tense moment to moment play that makes DS1 and BB so awesome.

I don't think I will ever learn to love constant delayed "gotcha!" attacks.
In ER the gotcha delayed bullshit is used as sprinkling, to spice up the combat. Sometimes the spice is a bit too heavy for my taste but overall tolerable.

In LoP the combat is 90% spice. It literally drove me to abandon the game in the final area. Just couldn't take that garbage any more.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
The problem with Lies of P is the fairly rudimentary level design moreso than the combat. Claiming it's a better game than Elden Ring is just 1.) Outing yourself as someone who's not really a fan of exploration in these games, or 2.) Hipsterism - going against the thing that is popular.

In no reality is Lies of P a better game than Elden Ring. Is it still a good game? Yes. Just not anywhere close to how good this game is.

Silva

Arcane
The problem with Lies of P is the fairly rudimentary level design moreso than the combat. Claiming it's a better game than Elden Ring is just 1.) Outing yourself as someone who's not really a fan of exploration in these games, or 2.) Hipsterism - going against the thing that is popular. In no reality is Lies of P a better game than Elden Ring. Is it still a good game? Yes. Just not anywhere close to how good this game is
Are you implying ER exploration is any good? Because aside from a few legacy dungeons (Stormveil, Academy, Leyden) it is not, and some of those are so lategame (eg: haligtree) you're too tired to care at that point. Sure, LoP has worse exploration but it's moment to moment play is, IMO, way better than ER. By that I mean tight / non-cheeseble combat coupled with good encounters and great atmosphere, which together makes you hesitant to turn that corner over there, and every inch of map explored feels like a feat (like DS1 and BB did in spades). Exploration without great m-t-m play is flacid for me, which is exactly the case of ER due to it's cheesy Supers combat and nonstop-heli-bosses.

That said, I'm still halfway through it and things could go south. Still, and so far, I'd put it easily above ER and DS3 as a Souls game. Probably on the same tier as DS2. My rank right now..

1 - DS1, BB
2 - Sekiro
3 - DS2, Lies of P
4 - Elden Ring, DS3

(reminding that even the worst there is still better than 90% of the industry and yadayada)

Nathir

Liturgist
The problem with Lies of P is the fairly rudimentary level design moreso than the combat. Claiming it's a better game than Elden Ring is just 1.) Outing yourself as someone who's not really a fan of exploration in these games, or 2.) Hipsterism - going against the thing that is popular.

In no reality is Lies of P a better game than Elden Ring. Is it still a good game? Yes. Just not anywhere close to how good this game is.

3.) You like playing as a Timothy Chalameet looking twink.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Are you implying ER exploration is any good?
Yes, and you're insane if you think Lies of P - or DS3 - is better in any way.
As I said many times, I'm not a fan of open-world exploration in soulslikes. That said Stormveil is prolly my favourite soulslike level ever made and there are other amazing levels like Academy, Leyndell, Haligtree.

Anyway I wasn't too bummed out with LoP exploration, surprisingly, even tho as an exploration-fag. It was better than I expected (to be more precise, I expected something utterly brainless and I got something fairly acceptable).

And even the chardev and build customization wasn't as bad. In the end the combat was my only real complaint. In hindsight it's a solid 7-8/10, depending on how much the stupid gotcha combat gets on your nerves.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I feel ambivalent about it. On the one hand, the feeling of playing the game the first time, seeing the map keep expanding, finding new caves, dungeons, castles, prisons and such, looking out for merchants and chests, was great. The game provides just a massive amount of novelty for a good 30 hours or so.

OTOH, once you've explored for those 30 hours or so, it starts to feel really, really stale. Aside from all the reused assets, there's just not a lot of reward for exploring. There's just enough upgraded versions of talismans and spells out there to keep you hooked, but like 95% of the time you open a really fancy chest or kill a boss and get a drop, it's just a huge disappointment as you get rewarded with a talisman of "It's slightly harder to inflict poison on you but it lasts longer too so don't ever use this" or the sword of "This shifts the scaling from 45/55 DEX/STR to STR/DEX so it might improve your damage by like 10% if your build is completely wrong or by 2% if you actually levelled both stats but in only a slightly wrong way."

Suffice to say, I don't think spending an hour exploring and only finding disappointing things I don't even want cluttering my inventory to be 'good exploration.' I assume this is where the lore autists get their fix, reading the descriptions of every type of codpiece in the land, but I can't be bothered, personally. I find that breaks up the game flow too much.

Ravielsk

Magister
And even the chardev and build customization wasn't as bad. In the end the combat was my only real complaint. In hindsight it's a solid 7-8/10, depending on how much the stupid gotcha combat gets on your nerves.
Lies of P has a similar problem to Sekiro. It does not properly make the player aware that some attacks are meant to be dodged and some are meant to be parried. The game in essence announces the existence of both options but besides that there is no effort made to distinguish what the devs consider to be the optimal response. So most fights and boss fights can turn into this game of "guess what bitch" where if you guess right the fight continues, if not you get to restart. It also does not help that some bosses are simply atrociously balanced and basically one shoot you if you make the wrong move.

Stoned Ape

Savant
I thought the first few areas I explored in Elden ring were satisfying and fun, I loved Limgrave, Liurnia, Caelid, Mount Gelmir, and the capital. The first eternal city I reached I found extremely satisfying to explore too, as was the ruined eternal city in the Elden Tree deep roots.

I didn't enjoy Mountaintop of the Giants or the Consecrated snowfield, and the Hailigtree area was beautiful but spoilt by the crappy platforming section using unsuited controls on narrow tree branches and all of the juiced up copy/pasted mobs and shitty encounter design. It was only saved by Malenia actually being a fun and well-designed boss fight (I was worried that fighting her would be hell after some of the other late-game bosses, but it was probably the fight I enjoyed most in the game).

I still think the thrill of finding new weird and creepy areas during the first 3/4 of the game and the generally fantastic design makes the world one of the most interesting visual spaces I've encountered in game design. I was probably getting a bit jaded towards the end which was partly why the final sections felt less exciting to me (well, that and all the copy/pasted, juiced-up mobs).

Ravielsk

Magister
Suffice to say, I don't think spending an hour exploring and only finding disappointing things I don't even want cluttering my inventory to be 'good exploration.' I assume this is where the lore autists get their fix, reading the descriptions of every type of codpiece in the land, but I can't be bothered, personally. I find that breaks up the game flow too much.
It is a inbuilt flaw of the souls formula. In DS1 they made the choice to have few NPCs with sparse dialog and it just stuck as a staple even though it no longer fits the game. The world would really benefit from having more NPCs with some quests and actual dialog. It would certainly be more immersive to find some soldier bemoaning how the scarlet rot drove his compatriots to madness rather than reading about it in the description of some recolored thong piece.

The obscure style of storytelling has at this point become a hinderance because it only makes it more difficult to relate to a world where at best 50% of the time you have no context for anything. For example Marika and the Elden Tree are 100% core to the story of the game yet we basically know less about Marika than we knew about Allant in DeS and the Elden Tree... well I actually have no clue how it factors into anything because besides giving me upgrades nothing is concretely said about it. Its as if our world revolved around Mickey Mouse and drinking Pepsi while no one ever mentioned Micky is a mouse and Pepsi is a soda you drink. Its just obtuse for the sake of being obtuse.

Simply put the basic souls formula does not scale well past a certain point and elden ring exceeds that point before even hitting the midway point.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lies of P has a similar problem to Sekiro. It does not properly make the player aware that some attacks are meant to be dodged and some are meant to be parried.
Yeah kindda. My biggest problem tho is the erratic, "puppety" movement of most mobs, consisting of jerky, robotic swings with barely any windups or tells, making them extremely annoying to read and react to.

You just can't rely on your reactions most of the time, you literally have to memorize entire attack patterns to come up on top, with all the usual delays and fake-outs to boot. I actually liked the rest of the game enough to put up with this, all the way to the final level when I finally got enough. I think I had like 2 hours until the final boss when I uninstalled the game.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lies of P has a similar problem to Sekiro. It does not properly make the player aware that some attacks are meant to be dodged and some are meant to be parried.
Yeah kindda. My biggest problem tho is the erratic, "puppety" movement of most mobs, consisting of jerky, robotic swings with barely any windups or tells, making them extremely annoying to read and react to.

You just can't rely on your reactions most of the time, you literally have to memorize entire attack patterns to come up on top, with all the usual delays and fake-outs to boot. I actually liked the rest of the game enough to put up with this, all the way to the final level when I finally got enough. I think I had like 2 hours until the final boss when I uninstalled the game.

I actually liked the jerky puppet/robot style movements just because they fit thematically. That's more important to me than action reads or whatever.

I just found LoP boring. Very pretty, with some cool ideas like mix and matching hilts and blades, but meh. Had no desire to keep playing it.

Silva

Arcane
Pretty much this.

And no, that's not how lore autists get their fix cause I'm one of them and couldn't care less for ER lore. It's the least interesting, more vanilla worldbuilding in all Soulsdom.

baba is you

Educated

It is true that LoP lacks exploration elements. Elden Ring's play time is over 100 hours, and LoP is about 80 hours, but there are some aspects of combat that are better in LoP.

I've been playing FromSoftware games since King's Field, but Fromsoft's exploration design follows a certain line. But I think LoP crosses a certain line. The level design is intentionally combat-centric rather than rudimentary.

Actually, it's a bit surprising that games these days are so obsessed with combat. If things like combat and exploration are not balanced, they will eventually be quickly forgotten.

Last edited:
Not surprising. DS DLCs are relatively small areas that are densely packed with content - something where From shines better than the mid attempt at open world they made with ER.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom