Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Silva

Arcane
Daily reminder that talisman dropped from the first giant fire walking monster adds Sekiro parry to the game (and 90% weapons allow counter-attacks after blocks).

Now if there was a talisman that increased normal weapons damage reduction on blocking ..

Anonona

Learned
Daily reminder that talisman dropped from the first giant fire walking monster adds Sekiro parry to the game (and 90% weapons allow counter-attacks after blocks).

Now if there was a talisman that increased normal weapons damage reduction on blocking ..
Unless there is a talisman I missed, it is actually a Tear for the Wondrous Physick. And I think it greatly increases damage reduction after a successful deflection even when using weapons. I used it against the final boss while using the new backhanded blades only, no shield, and physical attacks did 0 damage while it reduced greatly elemental damage (I was able to deflect its big AoE explosion on the second phase a few times and while it still did some damage, the reduction was very significant). The guard counter did quite a lot of damage too, around 2k compared to how usually even my strong charged attacks did around 1200+ if memory serves right, sadly there weren't that many spaces to use the counter with this weapon due to its long animation (it hit the boss around 4 times, but I think it had quite the recovery).

Honestly, it should have been a core mechanic for ER from day 1. That and the talisman that gives backsteps i-frames.

abija

Prophet
No. You can move your body to attack forward but DS2 introduced a specific mechanic for large weapons where the direction you push the stick changes where you attack.
Everything that has even a bit of windup and locks your movement allows that change of direction (weapon arts, charged attacks etc.).

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly, it should have been a core mechanic for ER from day 1.
Absolutely, I've been thinking this the whole time I've been playing (and using the physick on every boss). If I ever replay Elden Ring, I'll do it with a mod that gives it infinite duration so I can use it through the whole game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Oh yeah, i kinda forgot to look at that.

Apparently. it lasts a long time and you can use the guard counter talisman with it.

Reinhardt

Arcane
i'm confused... why there is one grace before magrit, another after him and third one at the castle gate? there is literally ONE enemy between first and last.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
i'm confused... why there is one grace before magrit, another after him and third one at the castle gate? there is literally ONE enemy between first and last.

Because of the rule they have in place where bosses always have a site of grace after you defeat them. Even if it looks silly if the boss happens to be in an area like the one Margit is in they still need to follow the rule.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Because of the rule they have in place where bosses always have a site of grace after you defeat them. Even if it looks silly if the boss happens to be in an area like the one Margit is in they still need to follow the rule.
except there is one more grace just few meters away and there is absolutely nothing between "after boss" grace and that one.

Elttharion

Learned
Remember Ds3?

9xz5xavr47i81.png

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

except there is one more grace just few meters away and there is absolutely nothing between "after boss" grace and that one.

The boss graces are special. They must always appear in the arena. My guess is that somebody designed the area without Margit in mind then decided to put him there but didn't feel the grace next to Stormveil should be removed because it makes more sense logically that Stormveil should have a grace near the gate.

The bit in DS3 was for the same reason, you had a long trek until that boss, and most beginning and ending parts of leveles were marked by a bonfire.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've completed a few mines, caves and catacombs at this point, and sadly the improvements to the open world does not appear to have reached these locations. They're just as boring as in the main game. I think there are fewer of them in the DLC, even accounting for the smaller size of the map, so I was hoping that some more effort was put into each one, but no, it's mostly the same reused textures and enemies. Sad!

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The art direction here is through the roof. That climbing of the dragon peaks where you see the eldritch finger monuments below in the distance is absolutely breathtaking and eerie. Somehow it evoked on me similar feelings to seeing the navigator ship remains in ALIEN.

Next time I want a Miyazaki + Ridley Scott coop.
You mean Giger. Ridley Scott wasn't responsible for the look of Alien.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I've completed a few mines, caves and catacombs at this point, and sadly the improvements to the open world does not appear to have reached these locations. They're just as boring as in the main game. I think there are fewer of them in the DLC, even accounting for the smaller size of the map, so I was hoping that some more effort was put into each one, but no, it's mostly the same reused textures and enemies. Sad!
Nah, they feel way more handcrafted and intricately designed in the expansion. In the base game they felt proc gen like the Chalice Dungeons from Bloodborne.

After playing some more feeling NG Haligtree. Damage bassboost, presumably need to stack blessings and new talismans to mitigate.

Areas explored so far lack Haligtree's visual interest/thoughtful verticality though. Don't see what others do in the presentation. Cerulean coast gets big props but all I'm getting is Weeping Peninsula palette swap. Brutal ground cover (gravestone or foliage) pop in as well, the base game would never.

Soldiering on. Lest I lose interest hope things pep up a bit.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I'm bored with the thorns. They're an amazing noob slayer but get hard countered by your opponent actually having a brain.

I'm thinking I'll respec to fth/int and use the staff of the great beyond. If I do that I can add something like wrath of gold to the build to punish people who rush me when I do the thorns. I'd lose around 15% damage on my thorns if I do this, and a small amound of melee damage as well. The versatility is probably worth it.

Against skilled players I'm getting a lot more mileage out of my Fire Knight's Greatsword. No kidding right? It has a neutral R1 into R1 true combo and dumb AR when flame art infused. But doing melee with no poise and negations in the low 20s is a long way from optimal. As is using an ultra greatsword without a viable offhand weapon. So this build should keep casting as its primary mode of attack.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

The boss graces are special. They must always appear in the arena. My guess is that somebody designed the area without Margit in mind then decided to put him there but didn't feel the grace next to Stormveil should be removed because it makes more sense logically that Stormveil should have a grace near the gate.
Isn't the last grace outside the castle, I.E. you can get there without fighting the boss?

Anyways I find it funny people are cool with this but have shit flinging tantrums over DS3 doing literally the exact same thing.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

I wish they would walk this back. The only moment in Elden Ring I had that was similar to the feeling of being lost in the depths/blighttown was exploring the sewers under Leyndell, and that was only because I'd forgotten you can just teleport to any grace anytime you want. Fucking Sen's Fortress had one bonfire, and it was hidden.

MasPingon

Arcane

I wish they would walk this back. The only moment in Elden Ring I had that was similar to the feeling of being lost in the depths/blighttown was exploring the sewers under Leyndell, and that was only because I'd forgotten you can just teleport to any grace anytime you want. Fucking Sen's Fortress had one bonfire, and it was hidden.
Entire access to Abyssal Woods and Abyssal Woods iteself is a big "where the fuck am I/I want to go home" experience. Loved the earie feeling about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom