Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
For the record, this is not about ER versus DD2, Nioh or even Skyrim. I'm just pointing out there are things people hang on obstinately about ER that are given a pass in many other games without the slightest throught. There is always a danger when a company reaches a certain standard and then drops off from it for any reason, which is probably what is happening here in to a certain degree, but you cannot have double standards when making a direct comparison between their games and that of others. "Dark Souls set an higher standard so i'm going to use this metric to judge ER and another to judge those others games that never set that kind of high bar, therefore, ER is total shit and pales compared to those".

Even with the recycled bosses, ER still has an extremely high count in terms of enemy variety if compared to a majority of games out there. You can't just brush that off as if it didn't matter then call them "lazy" because the game isn't as curated as past Souls games used to be (on account of it being five times their size no less, as if that didn't matter either).

Hell Swarm

Learned
Lyrics having an autistic melt down today and still never responds to actual criticism and debates it. Just tries to character assassinate and shout "yea but what about X game!" as if he has any fucking clue about this genre when he admits he doesn't play games outside of From ones.

No, i'm not buying that argument. It's noticable only because you are comparing it to a game that exclipses Bethesda's slop to such a degree they don't even belong to same reality, namely, Dark Souls.

But in itself the dungeons in ER are infinitely more interesting than anything that as ever been in a Bethesda game since Shiblivion. Show me anything in Skyrim that was even remotely as clever as the Sainted Hero's Grave.
I don't like Bethesda games but I understand their side content can be NPC quest lines, loot, a puzzle dungeon, a combat dungeon, a single boss to fight or it could be an interesting underground town or whatever. I cannot think of a single Elden ring anything that isn't 'whack the enemy until it dies'. There's no puzzles beyond using gestures in the right place or a spell to reveal some lore. The catacombs you defend so religiously aren't puzzles, they're combat you have to run away from. Resident evil did puzzles better 20 years ago.
None of that would matter to someone like Hell Swarm. He would argue that it's "lazy" that the game has so few enemies (some of which, from what i understand, were even brought back from the orignal game). But he doesn't, because his shtick is to shit on FromSoft because he thinks he is being counterculture.
More character assassination I see. Really upset I'm willing to shit on a game series I love as it goes into deep decline and you can't handle it lol. Less enemies isn't a problem if you use those enemies in interesting ways. Elden ring goes "put 30 stone miners in a room, that'll get 'em!" or "Here's a soldier and a dog, they will never see that coming!" The combat system sucks for multiple enemies unless you have a big AOE to burst everything does, which are super common in ER. From design sucks for making multiple opponent fights and Elden ring never puts interesting enemies together because the system can't handle it and the player base will whine about Dark souls 2 again.

Elden ring DLC's most innovative and difficult trap is putting a dog behind a wall just enough you can't lock onto it until it jumps out of the boxes. There's no way to see the dog or lock onto the dog before it pounces you. Is this the same brilliance as Demon's souls and Dark souls? No, it is not. It's a badly designed and out of date lock on system being abused for a cheap ambush the player cannot reasonably prepare for or see coming. Frankly it's insulting to compare Nu From to Old From.
I would also point out that while it's true that in ER all your interaction with the enemies revolves around combat (nature of the game), the design of the enemies themselves aren't exactly easy. The way enemies fight and move in a FromSoft game is considerably more elaborated than in a lot of other games.
This is absolutely and undeniably false. Devil May cry 3 eclipses Elden ring in terms of enemy movement and options, if we get deeper into games like Bayonetta we're not on the same planet any more. Even Nier Automata which is an open world game with very few enemies (and a game I really enjoyed) finds ways to make those enemies do unique things or spam so many ranged attacks you're forced to play bullet hell for a few seconds. You don't even need complex enemies to make good and enjoyable combat. But From have the unique problem where their combat design was designed for roughly flat areas and 1 v 1ing mobs. And the biggest threat in Elden ring is rolling into a bumpy bit of terrain and getting smashed by a copy and pasted boss you already know how to beat. I played a few hours coop last night and the only deaths experienced were rolling into terrain and getting hit. You could say player error but the issue is how there is so little depth to the games.
When the video guy says Bosses don't explain things he's correct.

They don't have to, because the idea is that you have to figure out that shit on your own. Normies just want their dumbed down slop be honest.
From have never expected you to figure shit out on your own. If you went back and played Dark souls 1 you would notice many of the early mobs set you up for game mechanics early on. The game starts with a tutorial on plunging attacking Asylum demon and then the next obvious boss to run into has the exact same mechanic for it and it's barely used again in the game. There's so many tutorials in From games no different to Nintendo games. The difference is Nintendo don't copy and paste Sekiro content into boodborn... eh Dark so.. eh Elden ring and then expect the player to engage with it in a meaningful way and balance parts of the game around it. It is simply bad game design and you will never accept it because Souls games are an autistic obsession for you and you hate the genre except for these games because they're better made and less abusable.

Nioh is very different. You choose a weapon and abilities you'd like to focus on and have that weapon from the start and generally stick with it (although you can switch, if you want to), improving your mastery in it, learning its new abilities troughout the game.
And you find better versions of that weapon type troughout the game. Plus you get to choose from a plethora of pet spirits, which will enchance your combat abilities and offer extra powers (which are also tailored to specific playstyles and even weapons). Plus you gather equipment "sets", which bestow various powerful bonuses, some of which fit your playstyle well.
This is traditional loot systems in action RPGs. It's pretty standard for games to have loot systems where you find the same weapon but better. And Elden ring has the exact same thing where you can find many weapons which just upgrade from the previous one. A simple example of scaling on catalysts/talsimans/pyro gloves. And a lot of them are random enemy drops as well. 2% enemy drop rates sure as better than From do it right guys? Elden Ring uses a Diablo like loot system for the majority of it's gameplay.

For the record, this is not about ER versus DD2, Nioh or even Skyrim. I'm just pointing out there are things people hang on obstinately about ER that are given a pass in many other games without the slightest throught.
No, we're not giving those games a pass actually. I went to the DD thread and tried to get into it but I couldn't enjoy the combat or exploration. I shit on it worse than Elden ring. Right now I'm trying to get into Lords of the Fallen and I think it dumps way too many game mechanics on you with poor explanations. I also don't like when it takes from From and uses stuff worse. Vanguard was a cool way to end a tutorial. Being expected to die at the end of the tutorial is not cool or interesting when so many games have repeated it. In a genre about exploration and tough but fair challenges almost every single game in the last 5 years has forgotten major elements of what made the first 2 souls games work and replaced them with making the game faster or other genres mechanics that water the experience down (ER).

Now lyric has his post to ignore, I'll say I've been enjoying coop Elden ring but even in seemless coop the open world drags the game hard. In 4 hours of gameplay we went from the Academy to Atlus and then quit. The majority of that was running around to pick up loot for builds or having to go into identical mines to farm upgrade material. Having to ride 5 minutes to a mine, do a 5 minute dungeon to fight a crystaline and then do the same thing again shortly after but it was 2 of them was not quality game experience. It says a lot about these games where adding an extra player doesn't make the game more fun where it wouldn't be in other games. A dull game can be made more interesting with another player but there's nothing to enhance when you're both on Torrent running past 99% of the enemies in the game to do the same tunnel dungeon. It's just kind of sad and pathetic.

I do like throwing black flame pyromancies around though. It would have been nice to see them be something more unique though. It's such a big deal in the lore and yet it's fireball with a different shader or it's combustion with a different shader. If From want to do unique elemental types with the same style that's great but they should feel unique. Black flame could have used the spiral stuff or been like the homing fireballs in the DLC. Something that makes it unique except it applies a small poison effect after it hits.

Did you get in Nioh to the item hunting part, when you look for specific things?

I never needed to farm for any equipment in Nioh 2 and I took 3 characters all the way up to highest difficulty by now. Started Underworld with my third, and probably final, character just yesterday. Did first 6 Underworld bosses with a bonus from only 1/4 Kodamas, because I like rushing to higher levels. And my equipment is far from perfectly optimized plus I ignore the damage stats for weapons as I've been switching them every NG cycle without doing a single respec along the way. Game works perfectly fine by just using shit that drops while progressing to higher levels, without having to stop and farm anywhere. I don't waste time on Revenants either, unless they have a Scroll. The only farming I ever attempted to do was trying to get a secret weapon skill drop for switchglaive, but gave up after close to 20 attempts. I will never be attempting that again as it's not like I actually need those secret skills to have fun. Pretty sure that people who whine about having to grind and minmax equipment are just autists doing it to themselves.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
No, we're not giving those games a pass actually. I went to the DD thread and tried to get into it but I couldn't enjoy the combat or exploration. I shit on it worse than Elden ring.
I am not surprised you shit on DD. It's the exact same asinine behavior you display here. Let me guess those devs were lazy too?

It's apparently too hard for you to accept that different devs focus on different aspects of their games and depending on scope it can end up in detriment to others. Instead of focusing on what a game does great, you focus on whatever random stuff you don't agree with or, even worse, comparing them with totally different games you happened to like.

Hell Swarm

Learned
No, we're not giving those games a pass actually. I went to the DD thread and tried to get into it but I couldn't enjoy the combat or exploration. I shit on it worse than Elden ring.
I am not surprised you shit on DD. It's the exact same asinine behavior you display here. Let me guess those devs were lazy too?

It's apparently too hard for you to accept that different devs focus on different aspects of their games and depending on scope it can end up in detriment to others. Instead of focusing on what a game does great, you focus on whatever random stuff you don't agree with or, even worse, comparing them with totally different games you happened to like.
I don't think Capcom were lazy with DD. I thought the game was annoying with it's constant NPC chatter on loop and I didn't find the combat or open world engaging. I wouldn't call them lazy because Capcom's action adventure titles aren't really lazy. Some of their stuff needs updating and fixing but that's not the same as reusing enemies the way From do.

Old From : The tutorial boss teaches you the plunging attack and you can later use this for a big advantage against Taurus demon. If you can get him to jump back and fall off the bridge your first real boss can kill themselves allowing the player to outsmart the AI in an interesting way. Environmental awareness is essential for novice players who need an advantage.

Nu From : The tutorial boss is a generic mob you will meet right outside the tutorial door a minutes ride up the road where you maybe fighting a mob of them plus big shield users supporting them. It teaches you nothing and has no purpose having a health bar. The reward for beating it is a gesture no one uses. Once you leave the tutorial you will run into a mid game boss (or is it post game now there's 2 in the DLC?) you're not expected to defeat yet and if you follow the guide marker you will run into THE LAST BOSS IN THE ORIGINAL DESIGN FOR THE GAME. He will do long combo strings with a lot of movement but there's invisible walls protecting him from falling off (but not you). If you try to heal at range he will throw 2 daggers at you immediately and he will hold his attacks wasting your time in a mechanic almost no other boss has. You're not expected to beat him yet and you can't outsmart him to get an easy kill. Then he will be reused in a mid game area later for absolutely no reason and get a phase 2 being the boss between mid game and end game.

If you can't see how one is an adventure game with high damage but high reward for smart play and the other is a horse beaten so bad even the glue has dried I don't know what to tell you.

Another video the From drones won't watch pointing out many of the same issues and going more in depth than I am willing to write myself. I give him credit I never even thought of knocking Margitt off because I wanted to beat him myself. But he raised the point and it's an excellent example of what From lost since Dark souls 2.

Hell Swarm

Learned
bro your post on page #755 of this thread doesn't fit on one screen, touch some grass
Run out of Starfield copy and paste content to do Vic? Maybe go back to telling everyone in Shoutbox how you want to have sex with your younger self because you're such a loser 'now'.

Mimic tear breaking because it doesn't know how to handle enemies under Eternal sleep. Seems From told it not to attack enemies put to sleep and it freaks out because it's AI is all about spamming.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
^ That's how you know people are retarded. If the mimic wakes up the bear how is the player supposed to get a critical hit?

Sleep is not intended to kill the bears anyway, so the AI is working correctly in terms of the lore. In the original game, sleep is supposed to be used on the bears as a way for you to just leave them there and move on. The game tells you to do this by virtue of having so many of them laying around sleeping already, and there's usually no reason to kill most of them, as they drop nothing and can take forever to go down.

They actually hammer this point very early on when the trap in Patches chest sends you straight to a whole group of bears, at a point in the game where the player isn't powerful enough to handle a single of one of them let alone a whole group. Clearly, the idea is that you are to avoid them.

Lastly, sleep againsts the bears actually requires care. If you hit them again while the sleep animation is happening, you'll actually wake them up. The idea is that you put them to sleep once, with care if possible, and then move on. Chaining sleep of them is actually tricky to do unless you learn to count how many hits you require for each stage of their resistance going up. As soon as you hear the noise, you need to stop hitting them. This is not the case with other enemies.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Watched half of his Margit rant.

Skill issue. The footage he shows doesn't even corroborate his point. He says Margit doesn't stop moving and he had no chance to hit him and had to wait forever for the endless combos to finish. Meanwhile in the footage he gets an opportunity to hit him after every sequence.

[EDIT] I had to go fish out my old ass fight with him, where are those endless combos that never stop again?

He is also weak to, wouldn't you know, parry lol:

HE NEVER STOPS MOVING BRO SHIT DESIGN

Meanwhile you get a chance to hit him after every short string of attacks he does.

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Learned
"You're just supposed to avoid the enemies in the open world. It's like telling you to avoid them." Cool. Nice tutorial From gave when the Rune bears track you so hard they will hit you even if you dash past them.

"I didn't watch the video so here's my commentary" Fuck off Lyric. You have nothing worth listening to because your ADHD makes it impossible for you to engage in meaningful discussion. You have been made to look like a fool time and time again and you can't even see it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
"You're just supposed to avoid the enemies in the open world. It's like telling you to avoid them."

Pretty much, yes. The idea of them is that they are supposed to be a kind of untouchable fauna, something of a force of nature beyond the ken of the average tarnished. A few obviously are meant to be killed, most of the time there's no point in doing so and the game teaches you that lesson when you first meet them, where you are forced to sneak past them since you don't have the power to kill them just yet.

Infact this is a rule for a lot of the giant animals in the game. Lobsters too can be put to sleep so you don't have to deal with them, and i think it's not by accident that the St. Trina sword is found Caelid, with all those giant dogs and birds.

Hell Swarm

Learned
"You're just supposed to avoid the enemies in the open world. It's like telling you to avoid them."

Pretty much, yes. The idea of them is that they are supposed to be a kind of untouchable fauna, something of a force of nature beyond the ken of the average tarnished. A few obviously are meant to be killed, most of the time there's no point in doing so and the game teaches you that lesson when you first meet them, where you are forced to sneak past them since you don't have the power to kill them just yet.

Infact this is a rule for a lot of the giant animals in the game. Lobsters too can be put to sleep so you don't have to deal with them, and i think it's not by accident that the St. Trina sword is found Caelid, with all those giant dogs and birds.
So lets be straight here.

From modeled, textured and animated multiple large enemies so the player could... Ride the horse past them and never fight them.

Right. Just like phase 2s in boss fights were supposed to be skipped. Right?

Reinhardt

Arcane
wait, wut. you, pipo, find bears hard? i mean, after first shock, when nigga dropped on my head from the mountain and raped my character, it's literally free runes.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

So lets be straight here.

From modeled, textured and animated multiple large enemies so the player could... Ride the horse past them and never fight them.

Right. Just like phase 2s in boss fights were supposed to be skipped. Right?

Do you feel like killing every sheep, stag or squirrel you find too? They are part of the fauna of the world, and lot of them can be avoided yes.

In fact when dealing with respawing enemies a lot of the time the best option is to avoid them if there's nothing of interested there. You'd have to be severly autistic to want to cleanse Caleid of all the giant birds and giant dogs, just because they are there. I'm sure in Liurnia you rode past a lot of those lobsters, and if some happened to be close to some loot, why not put them to sleep, grab the loot, and ride away? What's the advantage in wanting to kill those things, for the sake of what's likely just a bunch of crafting materials?

You meet a couple of runebears which obviously are worth killing. Once you experienced those, i'm not sure i see the point in engaging in the rest unless you really like those beast blood things.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Imagine defending game design based on avoiding playing it so you can press O some more to go faster on a horse.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Yeah well, imagine light crossbow except now you have to grind and gamble to maximize minute percentages on its basic stats.

Having to grind in Nioh is an admission of severe lack of skill. Multidirectional already pointed it out, but you can get by, or even thrive, just using what you find normally.

From have never expected you to figure shit out on your own.

There's literally a player messaging system.

Let me guess those devs were lazy too?

I'll stop calling the DD devs lazy when Into Free is restored in the original and patched into the sequel.

but there's invisible walls protecting him from falling off (but not you).

I actually laughed the first time I saw Margitt overshoot his jump and magnetize back to the ground.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Started playing the base game again, got an urge. Playing incantation build this time. It's quite good fun, basically what I want from a magic build, unlike sorceries, which are all boring.

Also, +0 claws with bloodflame is pretty funny. Bleed go brrrrrrrrrr.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom