Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Cheesedragon117

Educated
I don't think she wants anything to do with you considering she insinuates that you just recently slid out of Marika's blown out, gaped pussy hole. She literally calls you "loathesome issue of the rotten strumpet".

Hell Swarm

Learned
I really enjoy From's loot system. I farmed 2 rare drops for 2 hours today. It was such a fun time standing on an elevator for 20 seconds, killing a mob and then warping back to the bonfire. A 1% drop rate item made me have SO MUCH FUN. I didn't find it at all annoying, disrespectful to the players time or a way to pad out game length for people wanting to try specific weapons.

Did I mention I found 7 swords, 3 chest pieces, 4 gauntlets and 5 pairs of legs when I was looking for a single Halo scythe? Fucking fantastic. This is what I play games for. To grind for an hour to get a different weapon art.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I get a warm, fuzzy feeling inside when I see people complain about it being hard to do every single little thing in a game. It's in the same category as people claiming that the RNG is rigged against them.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Why not use cheat engine table to maximize the drop rate?
Because I'm not a cheat.
I farmed 2 rare drops for 2 hours today
Which ones?
Cleanrot halo and magma blade.
I get a warm, fuzzy feeling inside when I see people complain about it being hard to do every single little thing in a game. It's in the same category as people claiming that the RNG is rigged against them.
Do you think it's reasonable to force players to farm 1% drop rates? We've had complaints about other games loot systems and I've just ran head first into Elden ring's loot system and found how enjoyable it could be. And it's a problem we've had since pure sharp stone in Demon's souls.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Do you think it's reasonable to force players to farm 1% drop rates?
Yes, absolutely, when the consequence of not doing it is completely insignificant. No one was holding a gun to your head, and you should not have spent an hour of your finite time on earth on this.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Yes, absolutely, when the consequence of not doing it is completely insignificant. No one was holding a gun to your head, and you should not have spent an hour of your finite time on earth on this.
Is this another "you're not supposed to actually see or engage with the game content" argument again? Because that's really stupid.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Is this another "you're not supposed to actually see or engage with the game content" argument again? Because that's really stupid.
The intention will have been that a few lucky players will get the weapon by playing naturally. Maybe you would have found it on a replay and it would have been a fun new thing to try. If not, you wouldn't have known the possibility even existed if you hadn't looked it up online. I recommend keeping the looking-up to a minimum and reserve it for after you've done everything you can and explored as thoroughly as you care to, just to see if there's anything major that you've missed, like hidden areas, bosses or NPCs. That's the most fun way to play the game.

Odoryuk

Educated
You cannot underestimate how vastly a random drop can change your playstyle, especially on your first playthrough. I got a Balder Side Sword naturally and only later learned that people farm for it. Such a good weapon.

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Learned
The intention will have been that a few lucky players will get the weapon by playing naturally. Maybe you would have found it on a replay and it would have been a fun new thing to try. If not, you wouldn't have known the possibility even existed if you hadn't looked it up online. I recommend keeping the looking-up to a minimum and reserve it for after you've done everything you can and explored as thoroughly as you care to, just to see if there's anything major that you've missed, like hidden areas, bosses or NPCs. That's the most fun way to play the game.
It's a 1% drop. There is no argument you can make about a drop so low that wouldn't be equally as valid as a 3% or 5% drop. But even so why should a player wanting to use an enemy's weapon be punished for it? I wanted to use the godrick soldier warpick on my first play through. It's right there at the start and something you could reasonably farm for without needing any sort of help. Except it's a 2% drop rare. So you can see multiple enemies using it, dropping it when dead but you can't pick it up. I guess your excuse is "it's an RPG, why should you be able to pick up a weapon an enemy used"? And Elden ring is so huge 99% of 'encounters' with cleanrot knights and the fire lizards are being skipped any way so a higher drop rate is hardly a problem.

You think it's a good idea to punish players wanting to use what they can see because... well it's an RPG. Why not waste the players time? Magma blade is a unique weapon with a cool weapon art and a nice moveset but why give the player the choice to play how they want when you can force a 2 hour grind because... Well that's just From's loot system and it's better than other games because... eh... because it just is.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I suppose they could make every enemy drop all their equipment. That would be an awful chore to sort through, though. I personally hope they keep making the experience as smooth as possible for normal people and let the autists grind if they want to. After all, most autists probably enjoy the grind. It must be a very small minority who hate the grind, don't feel it's worth the payoff, but do it anyway.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I suppose they could make every enemy drop all their equipment.
Or regular enemies don't drop anything and all the gear is a reward of some sorts - for minibosses, dungeons, nook-and-cranny exploration etc.

Because right now we have 1% drops on one side and vast empty spaces where 95% of shineys are stones, runes and cookbooks on the other. Seems a bit retarded tbh.

Hell Swarm

Learned
I suppose they could make every enemy drop all their equipment.
Or regular enemies don't drop anything and all the gear is a reward of some sorts - for minibosses, dungeons, nook-and-cranny exploration etc.

Because right now we have 1% drops on one side and vast empty spaces where 95% of shineys are stones, runes and cookbooks on the other. Seems a bit retarded tbh.
In the case of the Magma blade there are 6 Magma wyrms in the game. 2 drop weapons, 2 drop ancient dragon stones and 2 drop nothing but a dragon heart and souls. Including the one most likely to be encountered because it's on the way up Mt Gelmi and where Alexander's quest goes so a pretty common kill.

Instead of grinding 1% drops The unique magma blade with it's unique weapon art that's pretty cool to use could drop from it. Wouldn't that make it more rewarding to beat a field boss?

The worst thing about farming the Clean rot knights is they're in a rot swamp where you can't get off torrent without getting rotted. Who's going to stick around to fight enemies in the swamp? And Milicent is in the area and will water fowl you if you don't burst her down. It's so stupid.

After all, most autists probably enjoy the grind. It must be a very small minority who hate the grind, don't feel it's worth the payoff, but do it anyway.
Complete cope. Very few people enjoy grinding for item drops. I did it because I'm a fucking faggot and the lizard summon is a meme between me and my current coop partner so I was willing to suffer it. And the Cleanrot knights have a unique weapon art I wanted to mess around with since I'm forcing a lot of weapon arts this play through and keep changing up play styles. And now my grind isn't even finished because I need all the upgrade material too. Fucking great.

Edit : Guild wars already solved this problem and it would be very easy to adapt it to a Souls like game.

There are no unique grind only movesets. Every possible weapon and weapon art is able to be picked up from a location or by beating a boss. Nothing unique can be grinded except for cosmetics. Magma blade comes in 2 version, first is the red one we have now you get from beating a Magma wyrm. Second one is a spider leg and has some Queelag lore on it you grind from Chaos demons if you want it (drop rate should still be 5% or more minimum). Weapon arts can have different skins so a Halo scythe can have a weeb version where it fires a shuriken instead of just a ring. Exact same moveset, same hit boxes and damage. Only difference is cosmetic. Literally all these problems go away and everyone wins. You get more control of your characters look if you want it. From get more loot and more space to write stupid lore. Beating field bosses now has a purpose and is engaging so you know you will get some new equipment even if it's not something you can use. And last of all. No more fucking grinding for a weapon you may not even like when you get.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Very few people enjoy grinding for item drops.
I think Japanese players must enjoy it, RNG based drops and slot-machine chests are really common in their games. Maybe its something to do with their not really being able to gamble outside of pachinko and its a way to give addicts a dopamine hit?
If there's one thing I've realized on my trip over here, it's that Japan is full of gambling addicts. You can't win money directly, but all these crane and gacha games are straight up gambling, and they offer prizes of anything from keychains to whole ass game consoles and other 300$+ prizes. They are everywhere in massive numbers, every mall has whole arcades full of these machines. Tons of it is aimed directly at kids so I'm not surprised they grow up enjoying this stuff and thinking it's normal in video games too.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I agree with Hell Swarm about the drop rates. I've probably spent a full week of my life farming the Aristocrat Headband for different characters. Its hell and I'm never doing it again.

I play on console so cheat engine isn't even available to me. I still have my ps4 though, so I've got an account on there that has characters with all the items and I just drop myself what I need for a build then revert my save. Most of my builds have 20 or so armaments, more than half of which would come from enemy drops. So this saves me days of grinding when I make a new build. I'd prefer not to do this and technically I don't have to, but I'll take just getting the weapons I want then actually getting to play the game over spending hours doing repetitive, boring shit.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You don't need the Aristocrat Headband on all characters. Those games were never designed to be able to do "everything" in one character or one playthrough (try to do that without wikis), that's an autism FromSoft shouldn't be compelled to cater to.

Grinding is a normal part of an RPG and FromSoft thought it added an extra element to the experience they are offering with their games, a kind of uncertainly that helped not make every single playthrough feel exactly the same every time, but compared to real grinding games it's a joke. You think grinding for an hour (if unlucky, i don't recall grinding for anything for more than 20 minutes in any FromSoft games) to get the Arisocrat Headband (an item you are never going to use anyway, much like the rest of the peasant sets) is bad? Try to grind a week on a sinlge weapon in Diablo or an MMO without which you cannot even progress the game.

There's a million of other gear in FromSoft games that you can chose from which requires no grinding to get. Some, they opten to make a little more rare because that's a thing to do in RPGs but none of it is required to progress the game. It's not a big deal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom