Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Fedora Master is generally wrong about everything, but on this he is correct. You cannot mod Bethesda games into being good, simply because there is nothing good about them to begin with. They don't have good writing, combat, exploration, character development, C&C, or even graphics. So the only way to "mod" them would be to replace everything about them with a different game.

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm so glad we have you cunts to tell us what we should and shouldn't play

Especially since you haven't even played the modlists in question

Stopenjoyingthingsidontlike.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Problem is open world RPGs do not come every year. And you can't scratch this itch with anything else, so the "there're better things out there" handwave doesn't apply.

As an open world RPG whore I do Bethesda games like I do fapping - if I can't get the real thing I vent out in Skyrim or Fallout. It's sad, I don't talk about it but I do it.

Imma check out this overhaul.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Stopenjoyingthingsidontlike.jpg

lol_no.png

Sykar

Arcane
Just heard a new slogan for EA: "EA, it's in your ass!"
Not sure that is accurate though, considering how popular EA is, or at least its games, it would be more apt to say "EA, it's in your mouth! (and you love it!)"

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Would you really prefer those people be the target audience of things you like?

No, and that's exactly why franchise rape is so repugnant.

Imagine hating pleb filters.

If only they worked. Imagine thinking that Fallout 4 players have an actual right to be here, let alone form or air opinions.

Some of you more recent vintages seem oblivious to the fact that raging against the decline is a foundational principle of the Codex. When Bethesda first acquired the rights to the Fallout franchise, "Oblivion with guns" was the RPG Codex topic of the year—and Bethesda's Fallout franchise rapes are and always have been the poster children of the decline of computer role-playing games. They are anathema, and those who enjoy them are enablers and propagators of the decline.

My zeal for incline will never die. I will always be able to spare a little bit of time to shit on decline enablers.

They're tolerated because it would require far more effort to weed them out than to let them stay, and perhaps also because of DU's longstanding dedication to tolerance. They must never be allowed to forget that they're useless trash, however.

Codex Year of the Donut
If only they worked. Imagine thinking that Fallout 4 players have an actual right to be here, let alone form or air opinions.
Inconvenient fact: FO4 has more RPG mechanics than many ""RPGs"" regularly praised on this forum.

If only they worked.
They do.
If you think they don't, I suggest taking a hop over to reddit and seeing what the average video game player there is like.

I can think of a game that won a RPGCodex GOTY award which has done far more damage than FO4 ever will.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Inconvenient fact: FO4 has more RPG mechanics than many ""RPGs"" regularly praised on this forum.

It's also possible for a novel to have more words, characters, and scenes between its covers than Fahrenheit 451.

The essential issue with Bethesda's RPGs has always been execution, not inclusion. The constituent parts of a computer RPG are technically present, but the end product is an even less successful Frankenstein's monster rather than a living, breathing entity.

If you think they don't, I suggest taking a hop over to reddit and seeing what the average video game player there is like.

They sure as shit don't work perfectly, or we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place.

Robotigan

Learned
With every new RPG that releases, Fallout 4 looks that much better. Everyone expected a game to eventually come out that would show Bethesda how to do an immersive open world RPGs right this time! 6 years on with Elex, Outer Worlds, Cyberpunk, and an entire Assassin's Creed rebranding in the rear view mirror, it's slowly beginning to dawn on people that only Bethesda knows how to make a Bethesda game. Gamers underestimated just how technically difficult these games are.

I can think of a game that won a RPGCodex GOTY award which has done far more damage than FO4 ever will.
I hate the piss out of Witcher 3 to an unreasonable degree. It taught devs all they needed to do was superficially resemble an RPG and it literally didn't matter if all those RPG systems were shallower than a company's attempt to gamify their credit card rewards. Just so long as all the numbers and stats are there, people won't know the difference.

Funposter

Arcane
What happened in 2018?
Fallout 76
I actually joined to talk about Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Kingdom Come: Deliverance iirc but I'm pretty sure 50% of my posts are just in Morrowind threads.

Don't try to fool us, I saw an Oblivion mod of yours on the Nexus :rpgcodex:

yes, I was modding Oblivion :happytrollboy:
I very nearly went all the way on making Open Cities and that Radiant AI overhaul mod work together. Got all the way through Anvil before I stepped back and asked "what are you doing?".

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I've wasted enough time on FO4 to pick it apart and write binders full of wymyn rants. But I can assure you: nothing about FO4 was done well "as an RPG".
Perks are a mess, you cannot specialize ahead, because everything is level locked. Weapon perks give you an extra 20% base dmg, while enemies gain 50%+ hps. Crafting mods are available at vendors before you could craft them.
At some early point they abandoned VATS thinking the game is about power armor now. Most of the guns just have random values slapped on past lvl20, because they didn't care anymore.
Half of the quest encounters are "blahblahblah and now you die", and die you will unless you wear PA, since are surrounded. Why would anyone NOT wear PA amirite?
Weapons (especially pistols) are comically extra large so "can see it while wearing PA".
The 3D artist even fucked up half of the designs having no clue how guns work or had basic reasoning. 10mm pistol barrel comes out in the middle of the gun, pipe weapons' action must be invisibly floating outside the gun, and leather armor gets a diagonal padding instead of a chest armor? He could not even do what the picture told him to.
They even forgot to make a proper assault rifle, so they quickly slapped a blurry pipe as barrel on the combat shotgun, added the hunting rifle's mag without even removing the circular mag plate it has and called it a day. Took probably 15mins during lunch all together. To add extra insult, they renamed a yuge water cooled machine gun, with a fucking mount for cars, "assault rifle". Finished!
Automatic weapons are beyond useless because nobody knew how armor works. They did not learn on bit from the F:NV!
CHA checks are only for extra lore they apparently didn't want players to read.
MC was written to be male only with his fixed background, so playing as housewife Nora is beyond hillarious when everyone constantly praises her mad skillzzzz.
The Institute writing is a clusterfuck and the Railroad's is a massive black hole of stupidity. Not even going into the rest, apparently done by people Todd owed money, so he put them on the payroll.

I could go on for pages, but I don't want to waste anyone's time even more. :cry:

All they had to do was "Skyrim with guns" and they fucked it up on all fronts, because their hubris told them to do everything different now.

Great, now I am angry again thinking about this turd. :argh:
Sad.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
With every new RPG that releases, Fallout 4 looks that much better.

Atom RPG released in 2018 and it didn’t make Fallout 4 look better….

immersive open world RPGs right this time! 6 years on with Elex, Outer Worlds, Cyberpunk, and an entire Assassin's Creed rebranding in the rear view mirror, it's slowly beginning to dawn on people that only Bethesda knows how to make a Bethesda game. Gamers underestimated just how technically difficult these games are.

Well if you’re going to use Assassin Creed as a pillar of the rpg genre, you can pretty much prove anything is a good “rpg”. Also, from what I understand:

If 2015: Mediocre game A is released.
And 2015-2022: Worse games are released.
=
Then Game A is good?

I think you’d better double check your premise here.

It’s just more profitable to make a FPS where there’s character improvement than design something like UnderRail. It’s more attractive for the casual player to have reflex based gameplay then pondering strategies in turn based. Post Fallout 2 design was put in place for financial reasons, not to improve upon the original design. The market demands real time open world games and that’s what the market provides.

You could argue that Fallout 4 is fun as an FPS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom