Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by frajaq, May 29, 2018.

1. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    Yeah, stopped bothering again after I had my cheapsquatch plushie a while ago.
    Gonna check back when the BOS stuff hits, Wastelanders writing was fun enough to make me expect a few days of decent entertainment out of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    You fucking infidel.

^ Top  
  3. Giskard Scholar

Giskard
    Gregz You could always make your own quests - mine is to turn off every damned radio (I know they reset when I leave the game but still)...but I am only level 48 and still have plenty to do :) I have not even worn all the hat/glasses combos yet :)

On another note - I saw a player at level 1032 ... How long OCD do you have to be and how long would that even take? (asking for a friend ;))

• Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    I do that during raids, and you're right about the LARPing your own quests thing, it works in FO76.

I'm ashamed to say it, but if I'm honest, LARPing is a huge part of the game experience in FO76, and I'm not talking about wearing funny hats. It's the setting that allows that, they did a really good job with the setting. It really feels like I'm hanging out in Wasteland (Fallout to the millennials and zoomers).

Hacks and exploits. Don't get me wrong, FO76 is a great sandbox to go OCD in, but Beth's code is so easy to exploit. I intentionally played it straight the first 3 months or so, but for every bugged quest or CTD, a little part of me wanted payback. So I spent my last month or so doing that. Now I've got a hacked .50 that can solo-melt the SBQ in about 5 seconds. I know a guy who walks around with an aura-hack that kills everything within 200m of him :lol:

I'm not sure if I'm taking a break or moving on. The problem with MMOs, like all games, is there's a finite amount of content.

ATM I'm playing Daggerfall Unity and loving it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    I don't get it, how is "LARPing" a huge part of Fallout 76?

The LA in LARP literally stands for "live-action", aka:

... so, the fuck you on about? You mean, role-playing?

Yeah, who would have guessed that role-playing could be a huge part of a online action role-playing video game, utter madness I tell you.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Drakortha Learned

Drakortha
    how to larp in game? please explain for us newbies

^ Top  
  7. Diablo1_reborn Viva New Vegas! Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    I think Gregz meant just roleplaying and not live action roleplaying.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    Makes you wonder, does he not know the meaning of “live” or does he just go around using acronyms without even knowing what they actually stand for? But then again, it comes from someone who’s surprised to find roleplaying on a roleplaying video game, which, if you think about it, it explains why in his opinion FO76 is a “great sandbox” while admitting that the fucking thing is filled bugs and cheaters ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m Myobi and this is my favorite thread on the citadel.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. AW8 Arcane

AW8
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Myobi

On the Codex, "LARP" is a mocking term derived from the outdoor recreational activity, focusing on the imaginary aspect.

LARPing is the act of pretending there is a system in place even though there isn't. For example, following speed limits and traffic lights in GTA "to not alert the cops" or not taking all supplies in rebel bases in Half-Life 2 "to give them a better fighting chance against the Combine" - even though no such systems exist and doing these things are completely pointless.

In comparison, a game like Mafia actually has a system where the cops go after you if you exceed the speed limit, thus staying below the limit out of fear of cops is not LARPing.

A little bit of LARPing in the privacy of one's home is not dangerous. Feel free to drop an apple in front of a hungry beggar even though nothing actually happens.

However, when someone begins praising an RPG for its vast amount of pointless, optional things that have nothing to do with role-playing, it's time to call the LARP Prevention Hotline.

In computer RPG's, role-playing isn't about pretending but about picking a role and advancing it. You pick skills to succeed in specific situations, you tweak your equipment to excel in certain areas, and you make choices to make characters react in a certain way.

• Brofist x 6
    • Informative x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    In other words, even assuming that he was using the term as a joke, it would still sound fucking stupid.... amazing, its like no matter the alternative reality you visit, Gregz always ends up being retarded... poor dude.

• (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    99.9% of those guys are cheaters/exploiters of course, running scripts afk.
    Last year building/disarming/scrapping laser tripwires in your camp was all the rage, giving xp and more crystals than invested. Wasn't uncommon to see doggiebags with 10000s of crystals in it someone dropped, because he could not move anymore.
    Or simply afk leeching during events. Had some fun during fasnacht, killing afks with radiation mines and then ragdolling them out of the bounderies. What? I was larping a bad guy mkay.

That said, with the season pass and double xp, 400/500ish is probably a reasonable level for regular players now.
    If you see anyone above that, you may laugh in his face and it is justified either way. :hahano:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Giskard Scholar

Giskard
    And here's me thinking that Beth' had full-proof anti-cheat/hack systems in place...

Show Spoiler
    Only kidding...I am not that delusional...yet:martini:

• honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Mud' Educated

Mud'
    Reading that roleplay list felt like reading my modlist when i went full autistic with Skyrim mods, so if you add mechanics to the game to support that "roleplay", then is not longer LARPing?

^ Top  
  14. AW8 Arcane

AW8
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yes. For example, putting on fur before heading into an ice cave in Skyrim is LARPing since you're just pretending there is a freezing cold that the fur helps against.
    However, if you install the Frostfall mod (haven't played it myself, so my description may be off) and head into a cold area, you need to dress in fur to stay alive. That's not LARPing since you're not pretending it's cold, there actually is a cold mechanic in the game now that you have to overcome.

Again, this is Codex slang and I don't think the term is used this way anywhere else.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Hellion Cipher

Hellion
    The game was only missing one key component in order to become the greatest game of all time: Level Scaling.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/4pf...eland-season-2-daily-ops-and-more-in-patch-22

• Funny x 7
    • decline x 3
    • /facepalm/ x 2
    • Disgusting! x 2
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Diablo1_reborn Viva New Vegas! Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    I am so fucking disgusted by all of this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Alexander DeLarge Savant

Alexander DeLarge
    Said this in the FFXIV thread and I'll say it again here
    Level scaling is [​IMG] for MMOs and MMO-lites

• Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Absolutely nobody asked for this. The wasteland being dangerous is an important part of the game(and a part of the damn story), you're supposed to follow the Overseer's footsteps to retrace her journey.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Gregz Arcane

Gregz

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    It's not and when I recently pointed that out one of the fags that uses that description all the time (and his friends) got really butthurt for some reason. The ego of certain Codex posters is insulted when it turns out you can mod a shitty Bethesda game to have deeper RPG mechanics (SIMULATION) than some treasured classics that are relatively feature sparse in comparison. It doesn't mean Skyrim is a good game but it means "features" make a good RPG. The more simulation elements you add into the mix the more "real" the world becomes. So yeah making your character drink soda every so often even though there is no mechanic for it is sorta like LARPing, but adding a mod that adds a thirst function is certainly not.

^ Top  
  21. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    Bethesda fell into the same trap many other MMOs fell, by listening to the usual vocal minority. "OMG THIS GAME IS SO EASY I NEVER DIE PLAYING WITH ONE HAND EATING A SAMMICH LOL! MOM BATHROOM!"
    Now their fancy bloodied builds get 1-hit-killed by mudcrabs everywhere, of course their reaction is "you just have to adapt your playstyle!". IT'S FINE!
    They certainly won't get many new customers this way judging by the internets. New chars running around naked and out of ammo after 10 levels... First test showing a hillarious HP bloat, while weapon damage grows to approximately double value from lvl 1 to 70, enemy HP is at increased least 7 times as high. Also sneak attack is not working most of the times.
    #SawyerApproves

Considering how people complain about having to repair everything so often now, despite having no "cost efficient way" of getting the resources, basically entering a downward spiral, I wouldn't even put it past Bethesda having done that in the hopes of players buying more repair kits now. None of the new events drop any. I am curious if they have removed them from the queen as well....:?

But it's entertaining. When I read posts like "PSA! For all of you struggling now, get the plasma flamer!!!", I can't help but laugh. People complain about going through ammo fast, spending far too much time farming that, and his solution is to use the one weapon in the game that goes through ammo faster than his mum through boyfriends. With expensive ammo.
    That's like telling a bum under the bridge he should only carry 100$ bills with him, because they are worth more. :hahano:

Welp, if that guy is a representative of FO76's remaining core population, they deserve whatever tricks Todd plays on them.

I couldn't even try it myself, because changing 50 MB worth of leveled lists apparently require me to download a 20 GB patch, since they could not be arsed to write a patcher. :argh:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    "Other MMOs"? Fallout 76 aint an MMO.

Wasn't there a group of fans working on private dedicated servers thought? I remember reading smt about it, but can't find it anymore.

^ Top  
  23. someone else Arcane Patron

someone else
    [​IMG]

Upcoming Wanamingo Plushie.
    Looks different from FO2 or it could be wrong info.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Because it's not the FO2 Wanamingo.
    It looks like a stylized version of the FO3 Wanamingo concept art.

^ Top  
  25. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    At least the texture looks like it's come straight outa FO3. I know Todd told them to reuse every asset they can find, but come on... :hahano:

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.