Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Jessie has bigger tits than Tifa.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
those textures look shockingly bad. also the typical unreal engine 4 texture streaming issues strike again... very bad.

Gaylord III

Literate
So it's about 40 hours long and fans will have to wait until next year for part 2 according to some estimates. The series has never had particularly good writing but I guess this marks a new low.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder how will the pacing be if Midgar only is 40 hours. Unless they are really remaking the whole plot points. Midgar IIRC is, what? The first 15ish hours of Disc 1?

This remake is supposed to be only 3 parts right? I can't really imagine them putting the rest of the content into two games without cutting lot of things.

Vatnik Wumao
I wonder how will the pacing be if Midgar only is 40 hours. Unless they are really remaking the whole plot points. Midgar IIRC is, what? The first 15ish hours of Disc 1?

This remake is supposed to be only 3 parts right? I can't really imagine them putting the rest of the content into two games without cutting lot of things.

Midgar is around 6 hours of disc 1. Some reviewers have said that the remake has extended Midgar by padding dungeons, some which are now double in length and adding Dragon Age Inquisition style busy work.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Midgar is around 6 hours of disc 1.

Definitely not that short if you are treating it as a new game. If you are on 2nd or 3rd play-through I can understand as you know exactly what to and where and when.

Some reviewers have said that the remake has extended Midgar by padding dungeons, some which are now double in length and adding Dragon Age Inquisition style busy work.

Now they did say they are expanding stuff, whatever that means. I honestly don't mind having new characters and happenings around Midgar. Now the problem is what they will do on the rest of the 2 remake games. If they are cutting stuff I am still trying to remember what could be cut without harming the narrative. I guess the whole Cosmo Canyon stuff can be skipped without much plot effect?

Vatnik Wumao
Midgar is around 6 hours of disc 1.

Definitely not that short if you are treating it as a new game. If you are on 2nd or 3rd play-through I can understand as you know exactly what to and where and when.

Some reviewers have said that the remake has extended Midgar by padding dungeons, some which are now double in length and adding Dragon Age Inquisition style busy work.

Now they did say they are expanding stuff, whatever that means. I honestly don't mind having new characters and happenings around Midgar. Now the problem is what they will do on the rest of the 2 remake games. If they are cutting stuff I am still trying to remember what could be cut without harming the narrative. I guess the whole Cosmo Canyon stuff can be skipped without much plot effect?

They have changed the plot and added in a time travelling element where Cloud and Co "defy fate". The remaining games will probably have a wildly different direction.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I can't really imagine them putting the rest of the content into two games without cutting lot of things.

They're not going to. That's the real reason they forced this time-travel/alternate dimension hopping stuff into the game, it's so that they have complete carte blanche for parts 2 and 3.

Dyskolos

Cipher
I need a review from someone who played but has basically no memory of the original and whose main concern is whether the game is playable enough to grant distraction from quarantine.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Already the kalm flashback is going to be different or even absent because we already got introduced to Sephiroth, know clouds memory aint reliable, that theres this dude called zack who saved cloud and heck even know about fucking meteor. That's like all the big reveals and twists already introduced in some way before the gang even left Shinra tower.

Been watching vids of the game and I am just amazed at how they fucked up the basic narrative structure or eschewed all craft of storytelling in favor of pretty cutscenes that makes normies and cucks jizz their pants. I ain't going to claim ff7 was a masterpiece of plot and storytelling but let's go back to that Shinra tower for an example... Remember the abrupt change of tone in the original after the team is captured and you wake up to find your prison cell unlocked and the corridors filled with blood and bodies, to the tune of creepy music, building up to finding the president's body impaled by a blade? Even without seeing who did it, just by what you saw and the reaction of the characters you knew shit just got real.
Well fuck all of that, now you get to see the president still alive, you even get to see sephiroth (who kills barret but time ghosts revive him because fuck you) with no buildup because hell everyone already knows who he is right? And the tension of this entire sequence is ruined because 5 minutes earlier you were watching a plot dump cutscene about the ancients and meteor.

I expected nothing from this remake and it still manages to make me rage in new and innovative ways, this is the personification of decline in its rawest form.

Last edited:

Häyhä

Arbiter
I really have no interest in this cynical cash-grab of a remake, but I have to hand it to Square Enix: they certainly can make extremely attractive looking computer generated female characters.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Been watching vids of the game and I am just amazed at how they fucked up the basic narrative structure or eschewed all craft of storytelling in favor of pretty cutscenes that makes normies and cucks jizz their pants. I ain't going to claim ff7 was a masterpiece of plot and storytelling but let's go back to that Shinra tower for an example... Remember the abrupt change of tone in the original after the team is captured and you wake up to find your prison cell unlocked and the corridors filled with blood and bodies, to the tune of creepy music, building up to finding the president's body impaled by a blade? Even without seeing who did it, just by what you saw and the reaction of the characters you knew shit just got real.

The old contrarian adage about FF7 - "Overhyped but not overrated" - gaining more credence due to this remake.

Square Enix: DO NOT REMAKE THIS GAME.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Already the kalm flashback is going to be different or even absent because we already got introduced to Sephiroth, know clouds memory aint reliable, that theres this dude called zack who saved cloud and heck even know about fucking meteor. That's like all the big reveals and twists already introduced in some way before the gang even left Shinra tower.

Well fuck all of that, now you get to see the president still alive, you even get to see sephiroth (who kills barret but time ghosts revive him because fuck you) with no buildup because hell everyone already knows who he is right? And the tension of this entire sequence is ruined because 5 minutes earlier you were watching a plot dump cutscenes about the ancients.

I expected nothing from this remake and it still manages to make me rage in new and innovative ways, this is the personification of decline in its rawest form.
And yet people will buy it and say it's GOTY. Because they spent 3h killing rats for a dumb quest & watching nonsensical garbage cutscenes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom