Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forspoken - action-RPG from Square Enix with cringe protagonist

Softgels

Scholar
Babylon’s Fall -> Flopwoken.

Mauman

Scholar
BbxF99x.png
People like this make me wonder if a "Soy IV" is in fact a thing.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Well, Forspoken is probably on its way to being a financial success, though it'll take time once again as it did with FF15. It has a mixed rating of 48%, but 900 reviews already. Honestly low review scores are meaningless if people are still paying money for it. Publishers probably don't give too much of a shit about reviews as long as the product sells. It's like FIFA 2023 sitting at a 50% mixed rating on Steam, but has 58k reviews. That translates into a massive amount of sales.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Well, Forspoken is probably on its way to being a financial success, though it'll take time once again as it did with FF15. It has a mixed rating of 48%, but 900 reviews already. Honestly low review scores are meaningless if people are still paying money for it. Publishers probably don't give too much of a shit about reviews as long as the product sells. It's like FIFA 2023 sitting at a 50% mixed rating on Steam, but has 58k reviews. That translates into a massive amount of sales.

You do realize 900 is way less than 58k, do you? All the numbers indicate that Forspoken will need a miracle to sell 1 million copies. And I am not sure the game is any cheaper to make than FFXV.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

You do realize 900 is way less than 58k, do you? All the numbers indicate that Forspoken will need a miracle to sell 1 million copies. And I am not sure the game is any cheaper to make than FFXV.
You do realize what the point I'm making was, do you? Forspoken being more expensive than 15 is questionable. FF15 (originally Versus 13) was intended as a PS3 title. I think it might've even been intended as a launch title, or near one. They only missed the mark by 10 years after its initial reveal. It was in active development hell for a long time and a giant resource drain.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Foreskinpoon looks cheap despite the amount of advertising involved

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished the demo, took me around 4.5h (i tried to do all the side "quests" available and find the ruins, etc). I think the core gameplay loop of
"running around in open terrain and killing shit with magic" is done competently and the action of just traversing the terrain feels nice.

The main question i have is, is this worth for the rest of the game without becoming too repetitive? The way i see it, these games basically need either some very good story with interesting characters to drive the plot forward and give an excuse for why you kill the shit you kill beyond "numbers going up" or some very interesting world to explore to push you wanting to see more.

I don't know where the story goes (or from where it comes really - you're plopped into the middle of something with barely any info...) but i can't say the only two characters (Frey and and her smartass bracelet or whatever that is) in the demo are interesting at all. The world itself doesn't really seem that interesting to explore either, the most interesting bits in the demo are the ruins and they seem to be the same ruins placed sparsely here and there with the rest being the same type of trees, swamps and rocks that i'm certain i've seen in a bunch other games. Then again the only seamless open world games i can think of that i found the world interesting for the sake of exploring it were Morrowind and ELEX and the latter mainly because of how it mixed the sci-fi, fantasy and contemporary postapoc themes.

But at the end the demo did its job and made me consider buying the game - mainly for the core gameplay loop - if they remove Denuvo (so i can make a backup copy in my archive) and drop the price to something cheap.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's a shame, the whole street gurl plunged into a medieval world fantasy could have provided grounds for a witty story and something truly special.
Watched a few dozen mins of an LP and seconding this.

It's as if someone actually talented and creative worked out the basic story - a street teenager gets tossed in a fantasy world and has a talking cursed amulet for a buddy - but then handed it over to some 20-something Californian dangerhairs to flesh out the characters and write the dialogue. With predictable results.

Game has the same quippy, smartassy, annoying vibe that's omnipresent now. Fucking characters won't shut the fuck up for a goddamn moment. Too bad, the basic storyline, the world and the combat look good. But noone with a healthy brain can stomach the constant zoomer jabbering and cringy humor.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Finished the demo, took me around 4.5h (i tried to do all the side "quests" available and find the ruins, etc). I think the core gameplay loop of
"running around in open terrain and killing shit with magic" is done competently and the action of just traversing the terrain feels nice.

The main question i have is, is this worth for the rest of the game without becoming too repetitive? The way i see it, these games basically need either some very good story with interesting characters to drive the plot forward and give an excuse for why you kill the shit you kill beyond "numbers going up" or some very interesting world to explore to push you wanting to see more.

I don't know where the story goes (or from where it comes really - you're plopped into the middle of something with barely any info...) but i can't say the only two characters (Frey and and her smartass bracelet or whatever that is) in the demo are interesting at all. The world itself doesn't really seem that interesting to explore either, the most interesting bits in the demo are the ruins and they seem to be the same ruins placed sparsely here and there with the rest being the same type of trees, swamps and rocks that i'm certain i've seen in a bunch other games. Then again the only seamless open world games i can think of that i found the world interesting for the sake of exploring it were Morrowind and ELEX and the latter mainly because of how it mixed the sci-fi, fantasy and contemporary postapoc themes.

But at the end the demo did its job and made me consider buying the game - mainly for the core gameplay loop - if they remove Denuvo (so i can make a backup copy in my archive) and drop the price to something cheap.

The full game itself is not a long one, Polygon review said that it took the reviewer 16 hours to finish the game while trying to do as much side content as possible. There's a full playthrough uploaded on launch day that took 8 hrs. So don't expect the game to be long enough for you to be bored of the formula if you liked it in the first place.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
This shit can go on a 90% sale and it would still almost cost 10euro for just the regular edition. If you buy this shit you deserve it.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
ForWoken

Lol.

Game looks like a watch dogs rip-off 2010 game, shit writing, shit controls, shit graphics, shit animations

and ppl spent 60 dollars on this shit?

the fucks going on.

I liked the cats name though, Giggen.. lol

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This shit can go on a 90% sale and it would still almost cost 10euro for just the regular edition. If you buy this shit you deserve it.

It is certainly not worth the asking price, but i think current price is hypebait, i don't expect the full price to remain at 80 euros (or whatever it is now) for long. The recent Final Fantasy remake was the same price and is already -45% off barely three months after release. I expect the Deluxe-or-whatever edition to be regularly available for sub-10 euros in a couple of years.

Takamori

Learned
ForWoken

Lol.

Game looks like a watch dogs rip-off 2010 game, shit writing, shit controls, shit graphics, shit animations

and ppl spent 60 dollars on this shit?

the fucks going on.

I liked the cats name though, Giggen.. lol
70 usd

Duraframe300

Arcane

You do realize what the point I'm making was, do you? Forspoken being more expensive than 15 is questionable. FF15 (originally Versus 13) was intended as a PS3 title. I think it might've even been intended as a launch title, or near one. They only missed the mark by 10 years after its initial reveal. It was in active development hell for a long time and a giant resource drain.
I agree. Don't forget 15 was also a drain after with all the media produced for it with Square Enix only pulling the plug when they started retconning + alternate universe bullshiting (imo making it worse ymmv) their own story.

15 is the definition of a mess in every stage of its development.

How profitable it was in the end is anybody's guess, though. Wouldn't be surprised if at some point it was pushed through to cut their losses.

DeepOcean

Arcane
To be fair, this garbage doesnt look too different from God of Woke and Ass Creed, it actually is better in terms of having alot of spells and a novel traversal system, still, it is the same homogeneous blob of barely developed systems made to be normie friendly in the end of the day. It seems however, the main complaint being that normie storyfags this time got a ultra shit story so they cant pretend this garbage is a 10/10 game as they do with God of Woke.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played for 75 minutes. There are so many cut scenes, and so much talking that it isn't even fun. Writing is nu-shit. Nothing to write home about, but I have seen worse. Combat isn't much to write home about. It's basically a third person shooter, with an agile character, and the few spells I have feel like ammo types. The game looks great on ultra high, and the traversal is good. I haven't actually been allowed to do much but progress through the story for now, so there isn't much else to say. From what I gather, it'll be a Ubisoft formula type of game.
F3488E505E132ADE56122B37347832A956C14447

Lemming42

Arcane
Watching some streams and it seems that there are too many long-ass boring cutscenes in this game, but it's funny to see people making that criticism and then turning around and sucking off the likes of Red Dead Redemption 2 and the Metal Gear Solid games, which had stories which were just as shitty, just as intrusive on gameplay, and wasted the player's time just as much.

Not going to play this game though, the Ubisoft open world formula is so tired at this point. Gliding across an empty field towards a quest marker that has a "400m" thing above it, where a dude waits to give me another fetch quest, no, can't do it anymore, done it too much over the past ten fucking years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom