Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall II: The Dying World - prequel with party-based RTwP combat where native PC travels to the old continent - now available on Early Access

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The thing about Spiders that always bewildered me: of all the studios in the world you could take your major inspirations from, it's really going to be Bioware? Really? Bioware really inspires you?
Spiders found their niche that Bioware abandonned and they made a decent living for a decade, making story focused action rpgs, each with a larger budget (still tiny compared to American studios) & audience.

Now that Bioware decided to remind the world of its existence, we'll see an interesting clash: between the releases of the disciples of Bioware that no longer is vs. nuBioware.

Most likely Spiders remembered not to bloat the budget of their game, so they don't need as great sales to break even and bring profit. On the other hand,Bioware still has the name (deadname?) and support of the gaming media.

It is likely DA4 will sell more copies than Greedfall 2 (Inquistion sold more than 10 million copies, Greedfall 1 over 1 million copies). But will it be enough to save Bioware? For Spiders, unless Greedfall 2 flops, the existence of the studio doesn't seem threatened.
Reading some of the things that have been posted in this thread, I'm not so sure about that...

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
All I get from reading all these threads is no wonder why all these devs pissed their pants when BG3 released.

BG3 is literally some unattainable peak perfection for these people.

:deathclaw:

scytheavatar

Scholar
The thing about Spiders that always bewildered me: of all the studios in the world you could take your major inspirations from, it's really going to be Bioware? Really? Bioware really inspires you?
Spiders found their niche that Bioware abandonned and they made a decent living for a decade, making story focused action rpgs, each with a larger budget (still tiny compared to American studios) & audience.

Now that Bioware decided to remind the world of its existence, we'll see an interesting clash: between the releases of the disciples of Bioware that no longer is vs. nuBioware.

Most likely Spiders remembered not to bloat the budget of their game, so they don't need as great sales to break even and bring profit. On the other hand,Bioware still has the name (deadname?) and support of the gaming media.

It is likely DA4 will sell more copies than Greedfall 2 (Inquistion sold more than 10 million copies, Greedfall 1 over 1 million copies). But will it be enough to save Bioware? For Spiders, unless Greedfall 2 flops, the existence of the studio doesn't seem threatened.

Spiders workers already said that they doubled the staff of Spiders compared to 2020 cause they want to work on more than 1 game at a time. A lot is riding on Greedfall 2 for Spiders cause if it flops they will struggle to support their new ambitions. And right now the chances of Greedfall 2 flopping is extremely high. Spiders alienated all the normies by going RTWP and the RPGCodex audience are not going to be impressed by the added DEI elements. Which brings about a good question as to who this game is for.

Yosharian

Arcane

Spiders workers already said that they doubled the staff of Spiders compared to 2020 cause they want to work on more than 1 game at a time. A lot is riding on Greedfall 2 for Spiders cause if it flops they will struggle to support their new ambitions. And right now the chances of Greedfall 2 flopping is extremely high. Spiders alienated all the normies by going RTWP and the RPGCodex audience are not going to be impressed by the added DEI elements. Which brings about a good question as to who this game is for.
What DEI stuff did they add?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Why Early Access?​

“Before starting producing GreedFall 2, we published a survey on our various platforms to enable our community to tell us what they wanted and expected from our forthcoming game. This has been a great help to us in some of the game design decisions.
Since GreedFall 2 will be completely new and bigger; with more regions, more creatures to battle, more quests, more characters to meet, more skills and overall simply more playable content. We will also improve features such as combat and exploration, and will provide new ways of experiencing our game.
Having player feedback will be very important, and something we will need, since we want to offer a game that will satisfy our community and reassure us that we are on the right track. Since various aspects of the game will be new for us, knowing what the players think of them and expect from them will really contribute to balancing the game and optimising its development.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?​

“The objective of early access is to be able to develop the game with the community, balancing and adding features with the help of the players themselves. As such, GreedFall 2 will be released when both we and you are satisfied with the game's content and polishing phase.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?​

“While early access is ongoing, we are planning to produce regular new versions with more added content, as you can see on the roadmap, and we will also take your feedback into account - whether to correct any issues, balance the current content or enrich it. Hence with each update, you will still have plenty of things to do and discover.
We are also planning to roll out more technical content, as well as some content frequently requested by the community, such as photo mode.

The playable early access content will ultimately represent approximately 30% of the final game.

Of course, we will keep you regularly informed of progress in the game's development, and will also update the roadmap throughout the early access period.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?​

“Upon the launch of the early access phase, you will be able to play the first part of the game - the start of the game and its story. You will need to create your own character and choose from various skill sets. There will be various regions to explore, not just Teer Fradee. The new regional quests and fortress system will enable you to explore these regions differently, and offer new options for interacting with certain characters, as well as adding to the existing story and mythology. You will also meet your first companions who will play a major part in your team.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?​

“During the game's early access phase, it will be cheaper than the full-release version.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?​

“Your feedback will be very important, since it will help us greatly in developing GreedFall 2, and making it as good a game as it can be.

You have various platforms such as Steam and Discord available to chat with the team and share what you think of the game, and what you would like to see balanced, adjusted, corrected or added. We are also active on social media.

We are really curious and eager to find out what you think of GreedFall 2.”

Last edited:

Habichtswalder

Learned
Ooof, only 31% positive so far. That's horrific. Most of the negative comments were made after less than 1 hour playing time and are therefore not useful, but still: The impression is very bad. Even if they manage to turn the quality around during EA, I doubt this will be successful.

:negative:

Greedfall 1 was such a promising setting.

Vatnik Wumao
Personally, I'll just wait for full release. Can't be bothered to invest my time in a game that's not only EA, but also with no clear date for a full release in sight.

Anonymous Ranger

Educated
It’s been in EA for less than a day and only has 38 reviews so far. Probably a little early to say the game is a failure.
But there was already a lot of negativity
It’s just because of the combat change right? I saw some upset people on YouTube comments. I really think that’s just a small amount of people though. Anyways time will tell if it does flop or not.
almost no hype before the EA even started.
Yeah that’s true I’ve hardly seen anyone talk about it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
A lot of the negative reviews seem to be people who liked Greedfall 1 and found fault with some issue in the sequel. Mostly with combat, graphics, character creation and overall roughness of the game (which, to be fair, is in Early Access).

As a side note, I always find it hilarious when people refer to RTwP as "RTS combat."

Habichtswalder

Learned
It’s been in EA for less than a day and only has 38 reviews so far. Probably a little early to say the game is a failure.
But there was already a lot of negativity
It’s just because of the combat change right? I saw some upset people on YouTube comments. I really think that’s just a small amount of people though. Anyways time will tell if it does flop or not.
almost no hype before the EA even started.
Yeah that’s true I’ve hardly seen anyone talk about it.
Most negative comments seem to aim at the new combat system. Other reviewers complain that the graphics feel very out-of-date since they were not improved since GreedFall 1. Other players complain about more fundamental things like dull plot and dialogue or movement that's even clunkier that before. Some of the newer reviews with more playtime are actually positive however, they are up to 40% now.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As a side note, I always find it hilarious when people refer to RTwP as "RTS combat."

Potentially heretical to people who like RTS games but personally i'd find the ability to pause the game and issue commands (that are stacked and are applied once i unpause) a massive improvement in terms of me liking the genre (which right now i don't really like it, the only strategy games i can play are pure turn based ones).

rojay

Scholar

Spiders alienated all the normies by going RTWP
When did turn-based combat become something "normies" want? I thought they wanted RTWP? Is it because BG3 was turn-based?

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I've just started it and the menu theme song alone is almost enough of a reason to leave a bad review. I didn't realise how much I preferred instrumental music in video games until it became a trend to have some whiny and/or breathy singer moan awful lyrics into your ear, I hope it's a one off on the starting screen.

GentlemanCthulhu

Liturgist
GreedFall 1 was boring, shallow, DEI'ed, and had awful combat and graphics.

The revamped combat system is literally the only thing to be "excited" for with GreedFall 2, since the rest does not seem to have improved.

Normies complaining about the "RTS combat" is truly a sign that this is in fact, the bad-end universe.

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Scholar

Spiders alienated all the normies by going RTWP
When did turn-based combat become something "normies" want? I thought they wanted RTWP? Is it because BG3 was turn-based?

Normies don't care if the combat is turn based or action, they never did and never will. What they cared is that the combat is fun and awesome. RWTP might have looked cool 20-25 years ago but it looks like shit in modern gaming. And Greedfall 2 is more or less the worst looking RTWP combat I have ever seen, even BG1 had more exciting looking combat.

Normies love BG3 combat because you get to jump and throw goblins off cliffs. Something you don't get to do in other games.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
351 in-game atm.

After Steelrising this will be the second flop in a row for Spiders.

The moral of the story is that Nacon is a shitty publisher.

Jehanne titties will be forgotten like tears in rain :salute:

Narax

Learned
I think a lot of normies are hating on the RTWP system because they have extremely low attention spans, they dont want to think and strategize their moves they just want to mindlessly button mash and move on to the next cutscene.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom