Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The Cold War, as in the existential possibility of annihilation that was the Cold War, did a real number on society's long term thinking. Virtually no nation on earth ever attempted to conceive the world past 2000. That just didn't happen. The world was *going* to end. Might as well drive up costs in everything and make the last generation of modern people's lives as cushy as possible.
This is incorrect. No nation thought this way. The world wasn't going to end, the world would go on, but things would be fucked up is how most folks imagined it. Red Dawn (1984) is unironically closer to the truth than your assessment.
When the Cold War ended in 1991 there was such an economic boom the world powers figured the costs would sort themselves out.

It didn't, but multiple generations of post-Cold-War kids were raised to live like the world was ending.
There was no trumpet telling everyone the cold war was over in 1991, nor was it, nor was it agreed all was well. Kids were not raised like the world was ending. Kids up until the 90's had grandparents that remembered the depression and that was a more powerful current of thought than "the world is ending!"

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You keep throwing out what look like irrelevant straw-things questioning points I haven't made
Really? I questioned the "power fantasy" angle, shortening it to just fantasy. There is no reason for looking for a deeper meaning when a simple one would suffice.

You're also talking about Harry Potter being a retreat for "White people", so I pointed out that Rowling from the very beginning had people of color in the books. Back when there were no social media and even the Google Search (the book released in 1997), so nobody was going to burn Rowling - a debuting author at the time - for not being politically correct (by not writing about them at all).

Hogwart's Legacy, by comparison, is Harry Potter amped up to eleven, because of the social media and the political correctness getting stronger by aforementioned social media amplifying the voices of the few and "video game journalism" feeding off of the "controversies" (so the waves are even larger). I agree it's stupidly ahistorical and unrealistic, given the timeline, even for the setting, but it is still in line with Rowling's Harry Potter not being an exclusive school for "White people". And as should I can't agree with this being the reason for the books popularity.

Hopefully that explains why I made the points that I made when responding to you.

The presence of PoC doesn't mean it wasn't a cozy special snowflake fantasy that compensated for growing middle-class White alienation.

Shitskins are mandatory in everything, and have been for many decades, it cancels out, and the books did not become a smash success from PoC buying them in droves, nor even from kids buying them in droves, but by English, and then American middle-class White adults buying them in droves. Again, that's the phenomenon that needs to be explained - and the syndrome I'm describing is what the books "tapped into" as the saying goes. None of it is conscious, on the contrary it's all sleepwalking by conformist midwits and social climbers who couldn't articulate their discomfort (and as I said, would have been horrified if they understood its roots), but found something to soothe it in a YA fantasy fiction product.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

Harthwain

Magister
Ay yo they made school shooting mods already.

Any other game with the ability to kill anyone at any time (you can even kill professors?!) would be considered an incline on the Codex. Just saying.

Again, that's the phenomenon that needs to be explained - and the syndrome I'm describing is what the books "tapped into" as the saying goes. None of it is conscious, on the contrary it's all sleepwalking by conformist midwits and social climbers who couldn't articulate their discomfort (and as I said, would have been horrified if they understood its roots), but found something to soothe it in a YA fantasy fiction product.
I got that point. However, I am having trouble believing people would be sleepwalking to this extent. That's a bit too unrealistic for me to be the real rason. I am going to reach out to my father and ask him why he likes Harry Potter so much. I always thought it's weird, but never cared about it enough to actually ask him that question. It may not be large enough sample, more like anecdotal evidence, and as such won't be the answer to everything, but at least it will be something concrete, as I don't know any other big fan of the universe at that age.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Any other game with the ability to kill anyone at any time (you can even kill professors?!) would be considered an incline on the Codex. Just saying.

I think it's just a mod, I don't think you would be able to kill friendly NPCs (people who have the game can correct me) as that would involve a lot of extra work.

As you can see from the video, there's no reaction from other NPCs because the game doesn't account for it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

Ah! Yeah kill those fucking assholes and rule the world! Muhahahahahaha. The chicks are too scary to get a bj from anyway. I guess you could keep em in stocks and bang them from the backside....

One mage to rule the wasteland in preparation to conquer more worlds.

Mega incline.

Gerrard

Arcane
On the Codex you are called a cuck if you don't think a 15-year-old girl with a man in his 40s is totally cool.
The teacher asks the children what a delicacy is. Answers are given:
- Bananas...
- Oranges...
- A roll with butter and ham....
When it's Jasio's turn, he says:
- The butt of a sixteen-year-old girl.
The teacher gets upset:
- Tomorrow you will come with your father!
The next day Jasio came without his father and sat in the last bench.
- Why didn't your father come and why are you sitting in the last bench? - asks the teacher.
- Because dad said that if for you the ass of a sixteen-year-old girl is not a delicacy, then you are a faggot and I should stay away from you.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
On the Codex you are called a cuck if you don't think a 15-year-old girl with a man in his 40s is totally cool.
- Bananas...
- Oranges...
The teacher gets upset:
- Why didn't your father come and why are you sitting in the last bench? - asks the teacher.
- Because dad said that if for you the ass of a sixteen-year-old girl is not a delicacy, then you are a faggot and I should stay away from you.

Good joke, but you know it's dated when bananas are considered a delicacy.

:necro:

Modron

Arcane
Give it a few years main banana varieties are threatened by a plant virus like how the previous primary crop was brought low in the 1940/1950's. Supposedly that variety was better tasting than current mass produced variety.

deuxhero

Arcane

Really, there's a better option than "LOL can't hurt non-hostiles with spells" to handling a playing going around attacking people. Just let the player do it, but disable saving after they do so and start spawning in waves of tough teachers/prefects, then play some kind of bad ending when the PC is eventually caught/defeated by them. Embed related (8:48) .

mosse

Barely Literate
the magic elements are a bit over the top, like the game tries to overdose you with a sense of wonder
from what I remember in the books, things were a bit subtler

also, it's a strange juxtaposition where the protagonist is constantly grinning from ear to ear in childlike awe between mercing entire camps of people and goblins, potentially using unforgivable curses

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Right... much better to have paedophilic sex with them and really set them up for life??
My grandma got married at 15. She's done pretty well for herself. And it's not "paedophilic sex", as already said last page.
In the UK if a man has sex with a 15 year old girl he's going away for paedophilia. There's no argument here.
the woke state of the USSK
Now this is a deleterious comment.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
- Bananas...
- Oranges...
The teacher gets upset:

:necro:
Tell her that!
rubysmith-60lcn-1c2821.jpg

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Again, that's the phenomenon that needs to be explained - and the syndrome I'm describing is what the books "tapped into" as the saying goes. None of it is conscious, on the contrary it's all sleepwalking by conformist midwits and social climbers who couldn't articulate their discomfort (and as I said, would have been horrified if they understood its roots), but found something to soothe it in a YA fantasy fiction product.
I got that point. However, I am having trouble believing people would be sleepwalking to this extent. That's a bit too unrealistic for me to be the real rason. I am going to reach out to my father and ask him why he likes Harry Potter so much. I always thought it's weird, but never cared about it enough to actually ask him that question. It may not be large enough sample, more like anecdotal evidence, and as such won't be the answer to everything, but at least it will be something concrete, as I don't know any other big fan of the universe at that age.

Yeah that's interesting. For me, as someone who's hobnobbed a bit in English middle-class and upper class circles, I have a fair bit of anecdotal evidence from the actual time (late 90s/early Noughties) - you know, dinner parties, friends of friends, work conversations, that sort of thing. That's partly what forms my opinion - the kinds of discussion about the books that people were having then seemed to me to be dancing around the topic in the way I'm outlining, though in those days I was looking at it more from a Left-wing point of view ("Haha, England has lost power and relevance, fucking middle-class wankers fantasy compensating").

Avarize

Magister
- Bananas...
- Oranges...
The teacher gets upset:
I am aware that girls that age can already be very attractive. So can married women, but I still don't go around chasing them because it is wrong. I'm a man, not an animal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom