Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Lemming42

Arcane
Snipers are ludicrously overpowered for stealth shit, I just got to the church place on the mainland and cleared the whole map without ever going into turn-based mode. Entire team sat around doing fuck-all at the entrance while Buns crept in and took all the goons out with silent sniper headshots. Only exception was two guys who were stood together who she took out with a grenade.

Black

Arcane
That stupid ass free-move so your enemies can get in cover is the most asinine, unrealistic, 2023 pro-gamer thing they could've added.

I was wondering how it plays out, and it's literally all your enemies scoot into cover as soon as they detect you.
nuxcom garbage

bobocrunch

Educated
I would have probably enjoyed the game but then I read the codex. Gets me every time.
Well in good news the writing is very cheesy and non-PC (in a good way).

I just had Wolf invite Fox into the bushes to search for some nuts and she said she's already found a couple of melons but needs his opinion on whether they're ripe...
DDAD7555F684C9BC76407D1A9668052AAAAD65D6

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I would like to buy this to show that there are monocled people out there who appreciate non-PC writing, but OTOH I don't want to show that I support the streamlining of games, especially when it comes to a revered series that I really love. What do, fellow dexers? :negative:

:balance:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
According to random Steam rumors, stealth in the game got nerfed after one of the testers roflstomped the AI. I can see that, the AI is just mindlessly patrolling out in the open. If you are able to get the drop on them, you can wipe them out pretty easily.

I'm debating shelving the game until mods come out to remove certain nuXCOM elements, but it's not horrible.

In fact, a lot of the game's weaknesses are highly reminiscent of vanilla JA2, which since I replayed it not that long ago, is somewhat fresh in my mind.

Bad UI, fiddly controls, no tactical map pause... the list is pretty long.

But JA2 was a product of its time, limited by the technology of its day. I don't know what JA3's excuse is.

randir14

Augur
How do you enter underground areas? There's a sector that says it has a bunker but when I click on it nothing happens except my guys start traveling away to a different sector. I can't actually load into the map either:
qQMEzaL.png

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Guess I will buy this once it's on discount, patched and there is a complete overhaul mod available for the game.

Beowulf

Arcane
According to random Steam rumors, stealth in the game got nerfed after one of the testers roflstomped the AI. I can see that, the AI is just mindlessly patrolling out in the open. If you are able to get the drop on them, you can wipe them out pretty easily.

I'm debating shelving the game until mods come out to remove certain nuXCOM elements, but it's not horrible.

In fact, a lot of the game's weaknesses are highly reminiscent of vanilla JA2, which since I replayed it not that long ago, is somewhat fresh in my mind.

Bad UI, fiddly controls, no tactical map pause... the list is pretty long.

But JA2 was a product of its time, limited by the technology of its day. I don't know what JA3's excuse is.
Yes, stealthy melee kills are incredibly hard to pull off, at least at the beginning of the game. Same for throwing knives. I wanted to make it happen so it took me 6 or 7 reloads before I could kill one guard with a knife thrown into his neck.
Why do they choose this real time dexterity system is beyond me. You basically have to memorize the shortkeys and click like madman hoping that you can make in the time the mook stands still and before he wanders off.
In JA2 you could have someone like Blood clean the outer ring of the guards by himself using just throwing knives.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Is there any explanation of the morale system for mercenaries? :M Kaufman is the only member of my squad who doesn't lose morale from robbing the dead German soldiers, and although I can send two of the others away beforehand, I need Steroid to open the grave, which leaves him with a -1 AP penalty that I don't know how to extinguish.

bobocrunch

Educated
What's people's issue with the art? I think it does well at being readable with a good level of quality (aside from animations), the atmosphere during this frantic night battle in the church town was great

2IbBLeu.png

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
It blows my mind that of all the things they could have stolen from nuxcom, they took the free enemy movement when encountered. Was there ANYONE who thought that was a good feature?

geno

Savant
I would like to buy this to show that there are monocled people out there who appreciate non-PC writing, but OTOH I don't want to show that I support the streamlining of games, especially when it comes to a revered series that I really love. What do, fellow dexers? :negative:
Follow your heart.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It blows my mind that of all the things they could have stolen from nuxcom, they took the free enemy movement when encountered. Was there ANYONE who thought that was a good feature?
nuXcom would be brain dead without the pod scatter mechanics since targets standing in the open suffer from HIGH bonus hit and crit chance against them. Taking all the perks, gear and stat increases into account, that means from early mid-game on most targets caught standing in the open get instagibbed.

Without pod scatter you'd run up to a group and either wipe it in one salvo or cripple it into impotence and mop up the next turn. Rinse and repeat for the majority of the 50-100 hour campaign. Not sure why people imagine that'd be a fun game to play.

Not sure you can easily remove the severe penalties for standing in the open in a cover-based combat either. It'd just devaluate the importance of cover.

It's been 15 years since I played JA2, how did SirTech solve this problem anyone?

Fargus

Arcane

:balance:

This is a modern gayming industry, rotten to the core. You don't owe them anything. Don't buy it or you can buy on sales with huge discount . Or buy it now because yolo, consoom product (tm) or whatever. This isn't an rpg where your choices actually matter :lol:

They can always add woke shit later anyway and censor the game. And games are going to keep getting dumbed down regardless to appeal to fucktards.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Combat is Nu-Xcom
That is not correct. Xcom had very abstract boardgamey shooting, this doesn't. It's not perfect, but it is simulating the ballistics. If calling this Xcom, you might as well call Phoenix Point Xcom.

In JA2 you can sneak into a sector, see the first few redshirts and can initiate the first killshot whenever you want.
JA3 uses retarded nu XCom free turn for the enemy to hide behind cover. It removes player agency. What are you talking about? JA3 feels boardgame-y as it is.

What the fuck is it that every merc has some kind of "special ability"?
Not just mercs, weapons have abilities attached to them. Like smgs have some kind of run and gun ability.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom