Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PSA: It will never be correct to call a game with fixed characters, open world travel and dialogue choices an "XCOM clone".

ArchAngel

Arcane
First user reviews are mixed, looks like performance issues and not working multiplayer (lmao sucks for multiplayer faggots i guess). But lets wait more for smoke to settle.

Im hoping for at least ok xcom clone with some ja2 atmosphere. You'd be an idiot to expect more.
In the "Mostly Positive" category now.
That is actually good, if the game does well they will be able to afford to fix the bugs and UI issues and people will make mods for it that make it better for people that do not consider nuXcom the top of the TB genre.

ArchAngel

Arcane
PSA: It will never be correct to call a game with fixed characters, open world travel and dialogue choices an "XCOM clone".
You forget you can create your own Mercs. You are not required to used fixed characters. Open world is also not that much different than how Xcom works, at least old UFO. It only lacks base building and research stuff but needing to scavenge things during missions, and options you have to do between missions is also kind of similar.
It is about as similar as BG and Fallout would be in cRPG genre.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are bigger issues with the game, but I'd like to highlight the million billion little loot stashes that you have to manually comb each and every sector for, just because of how much pain they're probably causing Zombra right now.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I gotta hand it to the devs, they tried. It is not a shit game. But it simply is not a Jagged Alliance game. Art direction is lifeless and boring, where is the pulp, where is the corny style? Looks way too safe, very 2023. Especially the UI. Typical '23 style. Music is forgettable.

Combat is Nu-Xcom, Inventory managment a mess but still dumbed down. It all feels very formulaic. Jagged Alliance, this is not.

It's a shame because occasionnaly it feels as if the devs KNOW how to capture that feel. Back to 1.13 it is.

Shaki

Arbiter
XCOM clones are called like that because they have XCOM combat, fighting is 95% of what you'll be doing in these games so it defines how the game feels, everything else is just fluff. This game's combat is 10x closer to XCOM than to JA2.

It's irrelevant if you add some minor mechanics known from other titles to an XCOM clone, it doesn't make it any less of an XCOM clone.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Archangel, aren't you omega-shill of Phoenix Point? A game that appears much more nuXcom than this?
Nah, PP is way less NuXcom than this game. Only art style in PP is kind of similar to nuXcom and soldiers get special perks, the rest is pretty old school. It even has full bullet simulation unlike this game.

Elthosian

Arcane
Bought this with the discount with the hope modders/patches fix most issues. At least they tried.

Lemming42

Arcane
I'm enjoying this quite a bit but the combat just lacks a certain kind of punch, not sure what it is exactly.

Not being able to see hit chance is just annoying, one of the worst decisions.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Do not compare it to Silent Storm, not even mentioning good ol' JA2. Good thing I haven't bought it and decided to pirate it first.
- UI sucks. Keybinds and general gameplay mechanics also suck (click right, then click left, weird shit like that)
- Inventory system sucks. 1.13 felt like Christmas, while this abomination is just simple and bad. Shared ammunition just takes the fun away.
- Apparently there is no Bobby Ray or anything like this except some vendors in the cities. Whole laptop experience is an empty egg shell with 2-3 barely working "sites", AIM and pretty sad IMP.
- XCOM cancer in form of "you dicovered/shot at the enemies so they have chance to react!". It sucks. I wouldn't be mad if some enemies had such skill or it worked as some sort of reaction%, but when it happens every time it simply sucks.
- Bullet sponges everywhere. Stealth is barely working. AP system sucks (Not much shooting going on in a turn. It's probably because of the small maps)
- Characters look like clowns. That was actually expected so no hard feelings.

MEH/10

Lemming42

Arcane
The freemove doesn't always activate, sometimes you can "surprise" an enemy, which starts combat but doesn't alert the whole enemy force and gives your squad a turn. If you silently kill the surprised enemies within that turn, you return to exploration mode.

Problem is I don't know what causes "surprised". I think it's just if you make a silent attack at someone which misses or isn't fatal, and nobody else sees/hears it.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just removing the pod system/enemies running into cover would be great. It's pretty annoying and make the game very "un JA" like.

That being said I didn't miss inventory management altho this game is also kinda shit at that

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm enjoying this quite a bit but the combat just lacks a certain kind of punch, not sure what it is exactly.

Not being able to see hit chance is just annoying, one of the worst decisions.
If you bought it on Steam just activate official mod devs released on day 1 LOL

raeven

Educated
FYI, if you think the aiming reticle works like in 1.13 where if the reticle was inside the silhouette of enemy it was a guaranteed hit, then stop. The size of reticle doesn't mean the bullet will go there 100%, you can have two characters with same reticle size over enemy, yet higher hit chance. There's already hit chance mod on workshop, and it shows the lack of proper bullet simulation for the game. The reticle size on the enemy is just smoke and mirror and not the actual cone where bullets will go ala 1.13 mod.

You're talking about that garbage NCTH system. First thing I turn off in 1.13.

Nobody playing an RPG thinks your reticle size means anything. That's why Phoenix Point has to remind you of it every ten seconds, because it's the only game that does it that way.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Honestly i just consider that reticle thing as indication of various level of aiming. Never really thought or want the "reticle simulate bullet landing"

That being said the UI in general is trying too hard to be quirky and modern

ArchAngel

Arcane
Combat is Nu-Xcom
That is not correct. Xcom had very abstract boardgamey shooting, this doesn't. It's not perfect, but it is simulating the ballistics. If calling this Xcom, you might as well call Phoenix Point Xcom.
It is really not simulating anything. It is straight hit chance roll and if you miss that roll you miss character completely and at best the bullet can hit something behind although that happens rarely. Phoenix Point is actually simulating it.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Combat is Nu-Xcom
That is not correct. Xcom had very abstract boardgamey shooting, this doesn't. It's not perfect, but it is simulating the ballistics. If calling this Xcom, you might as well call Phoenix Point Xcom.

In JA2 you can sneak into a sector, see the first few redshirts and can initiate the first killshot whenever you want.
JA3 uses retarded nu XCom free turn for the enemy to hide behind cover. It removes player agency. What are you talking about? JA3 feels boardgame-y as it is.

What the fuck is it that every merc has some kind of "special ability"?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Initiating combat in this game is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a tactical game*.

So, like most non-retards, you think in a turn-based game, you could toggle pause to give orders, slowly sneak your team up to the enemy, get behind cover, and start blasting.

No. That's for brainlets. Obviously you have to manage your entire team in real-time, including aiming with their fiddly ass system, try to get your guys in position without being seen, and then try to take potshots at the enemy, or even melee knife someone.

:hmmm:

This essentially removes so many tactical advantages you could have otherwise had, and it makes combat really gamey instead of simulationist. At least in JA2 it was acceptable because the enemy didn't scatter behind cover with their free turn.

I can't decide if I'm impressed that they actually expected the player to run Starcraft-tier actions per minute to micro their squad (with the worst UI I've seen in a while), of if someone just was really stupid.

The best way to start combat is probably just to set up an overwatch trap and wait for someone to step into range.

*I will however, add the caveat that like a real man, I ignored the tutorial to learn the game organically. So if I'm being a retard and there's some easy way to actually toggle pause on the tactical map.... I missed it. Judging from the complaints on steam however, it doesn't seem like there is for the launch version.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
I would have probably enjoyed the game but then I read the codex. Gets me every time.
Well in good news the writing is very cheesy and non-PC (in a good way).

I just had Wolf invite Fox into the bushes to search for some nuts and she said she's already found a couple of melons but needs his opinion on whether they're ripe...

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Initiating combat in this game is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a tactical game*.

So, like most non-retards, you think in a turn-based game, you could toggle pause to give orders, slowly sneak your team up to the enemy, get behind cover, and start blasting.

No. That's for brainlets. Obviously you have to manage your entire team in real-time, including aiming with their fiddly ass system, try to get your guys in position without being seen, and then try to take potshots at the enemy, or even melee knife someone.

:hmmm:

This essentially removes so many tactical advantages you could have otherwise had, and it makes combat really gamey instead of simulationist. At least in JA2 it was acceptable because the enemy didn't scatter behind cover with their free turn.

I can't decide if I'm impressed that they actually expected the player to run Starcraft-tier actions per minute to micro their squad (with the worst UI I've seen in a while), of if someone just was really stupid.

The best way to start combat is probably just to set up an overwatch trap and wait for someone to step into range.

*I will however, add the caveat that like a real man, I ignored the tutorial to learn the game organically. So if I'm being a retard and there's some easy way to actually toggle pause on the tactical map.... I missed it. Judging from the complaints on steam however, it doesn't seem like there is for the launch version.

Yeah the real time stealth thing is badly done. Its just pretty annoying most of the time, but then its added with the pod free turn system just make first killshot hard to do.

They really need to remove one of these

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom