Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Thorgeim

Educated
B29650E7EBDBB4CEE7DFE551F1E381A3A141A05C
Not that it matters too much to me but gotta be honest, this looks like shit, graphix-wise.

Washed out, bland, generic and positively 2015.

Then again Surviving Mars looks 2010 at best and it's grate so yeah.
I was expecting it a bit better too. Even though its not the most important part, being 3D somehow makes things worse.

Also im not sure what it is but the game doesnt feel as satisfying, maybe its some of the simplified mechanics, weird stealth, fucking AI free move, dead not dropping their shit, not sure.

I actually reinstalled JA2 after years, set up 1.13, it includes a nice resolution options/scaling, so the cute 2D iso view still looks awesome in 2023. I may play this instead and see if JA3 gets some decent mods...

Fargus

Arcane
Come home, Slav man. The Bulgoids spent too much of the budget on getting African niggers to fuck their wives for "research", the real JA3 was released years ago.

737259-hired-guns-thetsdps.jpg

Nigger, i remember playing this game back then. Gotta look it up on torrents one of these days.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
FYI, if you think the aiming reticle works like in 1.13 where if the reticle was inside the silhouette of enemy it was a guaranteed hit, then stop. The size of reticle doesn't mean the bullet will go there 100%, you can have two characters with same reticle size over enemy, yet higher hit chance. There's already hit chance mod on workshop, and it shows the lack of proper bullet simulation for the game. The reticle size on the enemy is just smoke and mirror and not the actual cone where bullets will go ala 1.13 mod.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
How do i silently eliminate someone? Everytime i sneak and use the ability of Igor for quiet elimination, it does nothing.
The art-style is so offputting, despite the game being 3D it is soulless, it has no charm, it's like ubisoft games, like ghost recon breakpoint or other globohomo slop. Why the modern games have this similar art-style? It's very dry, it feels like craftsman work rather than artist. Lack of antialiasing is driving me insane tbh. Was that a pun intended? If so, then good job devs, the game is trully JAGGED alliance now.

bobocrunch

Educated
You need to sneak, use the attack button and choose what you want, then actually sneak up to the guy and click him without being seen. I've had good (and bad from the pic) luck with stealth during night rains. Try FSR if it's an option, it's a lot less jaggy than any of the others

sgRW5Au.png

Lemming42

Arcane
Blood's knife throw is total ass for stealth takedowns. Used it like eight times and six of those times have just ended with me getting shot in the dick by an annoyed man with a knfie sticking out of his neck.

Fargus

Arcane

Ok, i checked. Never seen this dude before, but he sounds super frustrated with the game. Not much of a review to be honest.

But if you want a recap:

He played the streamer version.
He compains that the game is of early access quality.
His game crashed 11 times in 1.5 hours during a stream. Pc specs: i7 9700k, 32gb ram, 4080.
Retarded AI, civilian blocked his entire team while they were hiding behind bar stand. He shot him in the head 12 times and civilian survived because of locked health points (wtf?). So the dude had to restart the mission.
Object interraction like cutting wire fence didn't work or works like shit. It also sent one of his mercs walking straight to the enemies while he was trying to cut wire lol. He is mad af.
He's mad that pistol shots blow up enemy heads and considers it stupid.
Too many problems overall to mention all. His words.
Doesn't like aiming mechanics and considers combat very poor and shitty. Also really butthurt about no visible chance to hit like in nu-xcom or penis point lol.
Complains about retarded logic of mercs starting equipment: elite sniper (some ukrainian whore merc, i dont know her) starts with shitty gewehr 1898. Igor starts with knife and pistol even though his uncle is legendary Ivan.
Mad at bulgarians. Says even hungry chink couldn't have made worse game than this.
Metaphorical. Compared the game to a cheap old diseased whore caked in makeup and said that if this would have been your first girl you'd become an impotent stuttering at the sight of a woman.

He gave it 1\10 and called it disappointment of the year lol

He is buttmad, some points are legit, some sound like he is trying to hate the game too hard. Was amusing non the less.

Last edited:

warcrimes666

Scholar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Truly unfortunate but it's a shit game with a silence of the lambs skinsuit on and I should have known from all those reviews. The 9 out of 10s from the fag brigade make sense now. Half baked with only superficial trappings on display and gunplay is ass. I've refunded and will buy Xenonauts 2, the demo was much better than this game for me. I'm really feeling the decline on this one.

I really hope AI will be able to hold a wrench because at this rate of decline, we'll be lucky to still have running water in 20 years.

The zombie one with the guy that carries enough prestige to post on these esteemed forums, Urban Strife, was also 10 times better and much much closer to carrying the torch on the legacy in comparison.

What it did do well is make me reinstall 2 and looking now at the current state of mods for a run tomorrow, lets go boys.

Beowulf

Arcane
I've reached the mainland, conquered some mines and I'm still having fun.
My biggest complains are small maps (even on the mainland) and bullet sponge enemies.
I don't know how much their stats changed, but suddenly they can withstand a couple of bursts from the trusty AK's.
There also minibosses in the form of exceptionally strong enemies and they are ridiculously resilient to damage dealed by your mercs.

I'm playing on the second difficulty level (Hard) and it is really hard sometimes, especially at the beginning, until you get better weapons.

But the JA charm is still there.
70688A91F5E5C0636F0A5AFE0695DA1DFCF71D57

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bros, this game is good. Many small annoyances, but so far this is quality shit.

It reminds me a lot of Silent Storm, with sniper dudes racking up the headshots (and spending the opposition's turn aiming), heavy MG dudes spraying with abandon hitting everyone in sight, and grenade dudes blowing shit up. The environmental destruction is more limited than SS, but it's there, and it's great to see it back. I had a moment where a grenade blowed up the second floor of a building, and the pathfinding had my sniper standing up there do a little jump over the blown-away area to traverse it. That was pure SS right there.

Beowulf

Arcane
Bros, this game is good. Many small annoyances, but so far this is quality shit.

It reminds me a lot of Silent Storm, with sniper dudes racking up the headshots (and spending the opposition's turn aiming), heavy MG dudes spraying with abandon hitting everyone in sight, and grenade dudes blowing shit up. The environmental destruction is more limited than SS, but it's there, and it's great to see it back. I had a moment where a grenade blowed up the second floor of a building, and the pathfinding had my sniper standing up there do a little jump over the blown-away area to traverse it. That was pure SS right there.

I blew the roof of one house to make the snipers up top fall down to the ground (there is no animation for that - the model just falls statically) and then finished them with another grenade along with the troops bunched up on the ground floor.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I have been watching streams and it is pretty shit and decline. And if you install hit chance mod and see how mechanics behind the game actually work you will fall on your ass laughing.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I've reached the mainland, conquered some mines and I'm still having fun.
My biggest complains are small maps (even on the mainland) and bullet sponge enemies.
I don't know how much their stats changed, but suddenly they can withstand a couple of bursts from the trusty AK's.
There also minibosses in the form of exceptionally strong enemies and they are ridiculously resilient to damage dealed by your mercs.
Have you tried using melee? It's absurdly strong. It also shreds armor (adds an Exposed debuff status) so that your guns do more damage when they hit. Seems like having at least 1 melee char is somewhat mandatory for the utility it brings, but also because they can just merc those tough boss types in a single turn if they can get close with lots of AP.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

That's true. it's much more like Silent Storm, now that I got further in the combat. But I have discovered two major issues now, after fighting some tougher guys. Actually, I'm not sure they are tougher, they look the same. However, for some reason, they are tanky as fuck, and that is my first issue. Fucking health bloat, in a tactical game. Everyone is fine otherwise, except the shotgunners. The close-quarters guys almost honestly ruin the game. They keep rushing in, takes several burst to the face, and still live, and then they get a free shotgun action when fired upon. I mean, come on. It's so incredibly frustrating and gamey.

And then we have stealth. The stealth in real is so damn messed up. Why can't we force turn-based mode? Jesus H Christ, I would have made the sneaking really fun.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Truly unfortunate but it's a shit game with a silence of the lambs skinsuit on and I should have known from all those reviews. The 9 out of 10s from the fag brigade make sense now. Half baked with only superficial trappings on display and gunplay is ass. I've refunded and will buy Xenonauts 2, the demo was much better than this game for me. I'm really feeling the decline on this one.

I really hope AI will be able to hold a wrench because at this rate of decline, we'll be lucky to still have running water in 20 years.

The zombie one with the guy that carries enough prestige to post on these esteemed forums, Urban Strife, was also 10 times better and much much closer to carrying the torch on the legacy in comparison.

What it did do well is make me reinstall 2 and looking now at the current state of mods for a run tomorrow, lets go boys.
I will do that as well. Try 1.13 for 1st time as soon as I finish my BG:SoD evil run.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
First user reviews are mixed, looks like performance issues and not working multiplayer (lmao sucks for multiplayer faggots i guess). But lets wait more for smoke to settle.

Im hoping for at least ok xcom clone with some ja2 atmosphere. You'd be an idiot to expect more.
In the "Mostly Positive" category now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom