Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Interesting to see different choices and their results.

In regards to the physics modeling, I had one case where I unloaded full auto on a guy kitty corner through a doorway. Even though all the bullets visibly hit the character model and caused blood splatters the game decided the view was obstructed and so there was no damage.

So its an attempt to have realistic cover but it's not quite there, and frankly explains why most games go with a greater level of abstraction. The other issue is the battlefields are way too cluttered, even in areas where they shouldn't be like the approach to an active and well defended base.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Ukrainian girl knows what's up

1084160_20230718142201zc0m.png

Meanwhile communists just as moronic as in real life

1084160_2023071814260bacgc.png

1084160_2023071814261xle4a.png

I love the game tbh, it scratches the itch I had for over two decades.

Gumsmith

Educated
Worst part of the game is that the AI is retarded, braindead even. It will constantly forget about which side the cover is meant to be on and at one point I stormed the prison building and the two guys in the bunkroom did literally nothing until they were killed. Running around the sector clicking on shit after the battle is over is getting pretty old too.

Still fun, though.

raeven

Educated
One stealthy sniper can bring down the entire African army. Very based.
I think that's why they implemented that "pod" system(which is not really a Pod system since you can still stealth kill without being detected/triggering enemy repositioning depending on the circunstances).
It's also not a pod system because:

- other enemies come investigate if they are in hearing range
- sometimes enemies are alone
- sometimes they are together but then separate
- even if they don't hear you, enemies will stumble across you or the dead bodies you leave behind

So basically the things that supposedly make it a pod system are:

- enemies get a limited reposition when alerted to your presence
-sometimes enemies are close to one another

This is nothing like XCOM pods. The point of calling them "pods" in xcom is that they are isolated from one another and if you haven't "popped" (seen) them yet, they stay static and don't move, which makes seeing the whole battlefield an unintended hard mode.

In JA3, enemies behave the same whether you see them or not and act independently.

Having a reposition phase is not the same as having a pod system.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Worst part of the game is that the AI is retarded, braindead even. It will constantly forget about which side the cover is meant to be on and at one point I stormed the prison building and the two guys in the bunkroom did literally nothing until they were killed. Running around the sector clicking on shit after the battle is over is getting pretty old too.

Still fun, though.
I suspect the scripting in that location is effed.

Probably under the hood this is less an emergent AI system and more a bunch of scripts and triggers that have to be tweaked by devs.

oasis789

Arcane

- even if they don't hear you, enemies will stumble across you or the dead bodies you leave behind
This issue is that gunfire should be audible across the entire zone, and even if it isn't, enemies should be communicating about contact. Even JA2 had enemies using walkie talkies.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Thank god the entirety of the codex hasn't gone retarded off of huffing cynicism fumes. The game is really good and one of the best tactical RPGs we've gotten in a long time. Some really impressive stuff to be found here in this day and age, with a fantastic foundation for modders to build on to make even better. There's a lot of little moments where I find myself saying "am I really playing a game made in 2023?"

Also wanted to mention how much I'm enjoying the soundtrack, which is an extra bonus surprise. Very nice compositions.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Jackhammer dropped his shooty.
I put him back in the jail, not sure why I wouldn't get his gun right then, not like he'd keep it. Ah well I only have one shotgun guy and he's not hurting for gear at this point.
I let him loose, went for operations/recuperation, he showed up later with band of goons and I've got his shooty from his cold hands

Duuurrrr I am an idiot, the gun was in my inventory. :dance:

Gumsmith

Educated

Still fun, though.
I suspect the scripting in that location is effed.

Probably under the hood this is less an emergent AI system and more a bunch of scripts and triggers that have to be tweaked by devs.
Definitely seems like it, particularly with the clearly defined enemy types. Feels like it only has a few switches defining what it'll do.

raeven

Educated

This issue is that gunfire should be audible across the entire zone, and even if it isn't, enemies should be communicating about contact. Even JA2 had enemies using walkie talkies.
Fair enough. Easy to mod in. Modding out a pod system from XCOM? Forget it.

Paul_cz

Arcane
r u playing with a controller????
lmao yes

from couch on TV

I did play for couple hours on monitor and mouse, but comfort won out, even if controller isn't as flexible (I still have no idea how to select two mercs at the same time, for example, so I either control the whole group, or single mercs, it's hilarious)

Fargus

Arcane
I'm getting infinite loading. Had it twice in two hours. Not sure whats the deal, could be something with the savegame, i hope not.

Overall the game can be fun, but i still dont see much improvement. I'm half way through taking a second town, money is extremely low and i have a hard time to finance a squad of six mercs of which 4 are lowest tier and one is veteran. I can't afford training militia because of upkeep cost and super low income. Loyalty goes up very slowly too and not many quests to increase it. But i think i'll manage.

Also cleaned a full sector in stealth, its not as annoying as i thought... but still annoying. Good luck to ironman tryhards i guess.

And another thing, as if shitty voice acting and accents weren't enough the game writting is getting more and more cringy. We're hitting Fallout 3 tier. There is a quest about uniting a famous SUPER BADASS STRONG AND INDEPENDENT all female gang, who nowadays are hardass grannies. The dialogue with one of them:

In-squad banter is much better. Wolf and Fox flirting is pretty fun. The mercs are definitely acting more alive than in JA2.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
One stealthy sniper can bring down the entire African army. Very based.
I think that's why they implemented that "pod" system(which is not really a Pod system since you can still stealth kill without being detected/triggering enemy repositioning depending on the circunstances).
That's assuming you manage to hit them with knife from behind, which even with attributes and skill is far from guaranteed.
I still don't know exactly how it works but I've killed quite a few enemies with stealth sniper shots without alarming the whole camp.

You first need to select target with left mouse for backstab. Then go for the neck and slowly get behind the enemy manually. It is funny you can still miss after all those preperations.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Yeah in the prison, I killed all the guards outside the building with Fox sneaking behind them and cutting their throats with a knife. Not bad for a medic/exmodel.

Clearing the building itself was a pain in the ass though, I literally used up all my grenades just on Jackhammer because that fucker was determined to stay in his office.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
determined to stay in his office.
I went through the whole underground and came out behind his office, tossed a grenade through his door, and lured him into a hail of overwatch fire. If the game were really pimp it would have made surface and underground layers part of the same map, though that would get hard to parse.

Joke was on me though, he surrendered in the square blocking his door, I couldn't talk to him with the enemies active nor could I escape the room, so I had to flee the map and come back to revert to non-combat mode.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I only had time to play a bit last night and it seems alright so far. People kept saying Nu-xcom and it was shit in this thread so I was skeptical but it feels different. Combat already feels better than Nu-Xcom and this game kind of feels like Silent Storm (someone already said that here) but that is kind of a pleasant surprise. I haven't played JA2 in like 20 years but considering how games are now this is kind of good?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom