Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

ArchAngel

Arcane
A question for anyone that played JA2 1.13 as googling failed me.
On weapon icons soldiers have a W when holding a weapon. When I press . on keyboard it turns into an eye symbol. "." is supposed to be for changing into using sights and stuff but none of my weapons have any attachments with iron sights or scopes. Also when they are prone pressing . does not change icon to eye, it only works if I do it while they are standing and then they can crouch or go prone.
I am not fan of 1.13 UI, most options are hidden behind 20 different keyboard shortcuts and have no option in UI itself..

spectre

Arcane
I am not fan of 1.13 UI, most options are hidden behind 20 different keyboard shortcuts and have no option in UI itself..
Yea, who woulda thunk such things would happen when you cram is a shitload of functions into a a UI that is neither easily moddable nor designed to handle it
(not to mention, it was already sorta clunky back then).

As to your question:
142.gif

I haven't used that particular function in a long while, but it probably bugs out cause you don't have any other scope to toggle to.
That, or you may need to double check if USE_SCOPE_MODES is set to TRUE in Ja2_Options.ini.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Balance Patch 1.03 released!

Hi everyone

Our first balance patch 1.03 is out. It addresses some of concerns about the easier difficulty as well as combat issues related to explosives and machine guns. A host of other fixes are also included.

Here is the changelog for Patch 1.03:

Highlights
- Enemy attacks from guard posts on the First Blood difficulty trigger less often
- Diamond mines deplete to 50% income on First Blood difficulty; 20% on Commando difficulty; 0% on Mission Impossible (Community Suggestion)
- Mines now show how close they are to depletion in their tooltip
- Fixed a bug that scaled mine income up when depletion began
- Machine gun damage reduced
- Machine gun number of interrupt attacks are now based on current AP not max AP (calculated at end of turn) (Community Suggestion)
- Fixed a bug with Machine guns interrupt attacks getting aim bonuses when they shouldn’t
- Grenade and Rocket-Launchers mishap chance and deviation now depend on distance to target (Community Suggestion)

Balance
- Increased drop chance of black powder
- Increased Scully Health so he qualified for the golden perk he starts with (Community Suggestion)
- Savior perk no longer grants Free Move
- Fix for bonus damage from explosives applying twice when using grenades (Community Suggestion)
- Changed thresholds for displaying keywords for mishap chance with explosives

Quest
- Fix for stopping the Grimer Hamlet quest too early
- Fix in the conversation of the Grimer Hamlet quest
- Fix for Sanatorium fail condition not to trigger when the quest is completed
- H4 Fort L'Eau Bleu will launch attacks properly when retaken by the enemy

Sat view / Operations
- Water travel can now put you in debt, and is available when already in debt (Community Suggestion)
- Militia training operation - the button for training is disabled when there are 8 elite units already trained
- R&R at Manny's Inn's sector is enabled (Community Suggestion)

Multiplayer
- Fix for desync when opening weapon modification screen in MP
- Fix combat end turn ready/not ready state visually not updating when guest leaves in MP

General Fixes
- Fix for missing merc silhouette when using melee Free Aim on an explosive barrel
- Fix for mercs not being able to rest if there is a current active banter
- Fix for Infinite loading screen softlock when loading during a setpiece or enemies reposition
- Fix for load/save changing the ammo capacity of some weapons
- Fix for an issue preventing Bandage to remove Bleeding out of combat if the target is at full hp
- Fix for Mortar visuals appearing distorted
- Fix for Sharpened Melee weapons reverting conditions
- Fix for issue which would cause movement cost to not include the cost of changing the stance at the end of movement and fail the action as a result
- Fix Loner perk activating at combat start instead of turn start
- Fix for emails marked as unread after reloading the game (Community Suggestion)
- Fixes to the shootable landmine count
- Fix for softlock when a lieutenant dies on the start of their turn from a status/environmental damage effect
- Fix for softlock after opening the laptop screen or Help Center during Split & Give item option
- Fix for UI disappearing when pressing open the "command menu" in the inventory panel - when using a gamepad
- Fix for being able to load a game while loading
- Fix for Quick-Prism Scope giving max aim instead of 3 aim levels on activation
- Fix for issue when refilling Medkit with drag and drop for single Meds drops the Medkit condition to 50% Bug
- Fix for Overwatch kills not counting to "Automatic kills" combat task
- Fix for incorrect visibility check leading to UI giving movement warnings when it shouldn't
- Fix for an issue that would reset the number of overwatch attacks to their initial amount when killing a unit

UI
- Inventory context menu - hide some actions for stash items that are in different sector
- Fix for rollovers of underground sector (such as the Fosse Noire mine) points of interest
- Fix for an overlap in floating text between skill checks and banters
- Fix for Mishap chance tooltip not updating properly
- Fix for exclamation mark in email tab not disappearing after reading all emails

Performance
- Improved VRAM management to address various performance issues

Asdow

Educated
A question for anyone that played JA2 1.13 as googling failed me.
On weapon icons soldiers have a W when holding a weapon. When I press . on keyboard it turns into an eye symbol. "." is supposed to be for changing into using sights and stuff but none of my weapons have any attachments with iron sights or scopes. Also when they are prone pressing . does not change icon to eye, it only works if I do it while they are standing and then they can crouch or go prone.
The 'W' icon is showing a merc is using the ironsights on the weapon, eye is hip/unaimed fire and that only works when standing IIRC. Personally instead of changing scope modes manually with '.' I prefer the
ALLOW_ALTERNATIVE_WEAPON_HOLDING = 2 setting which has two of the first aim levels be the hip fire/unaimed mode

covr

Prophet
Patron
Balance Patch 1.03 released!

Hi everyone

Our first balance patch 1.03 is out. It addresses some of concerns about the easier difficulty as well as combat issues related to explosives and machine guns. A host of other fixes are also included.

Here is the changelog for Patch 1.03:

Highlights
- Enemy attacks from guard posts on the First Blood difficulty trigger less often
- Diamond mines deplete to 50% income on First Blood difficulty; 20% on Commando difficulty; 0% on Mission Impossible (Community Suggestion)
- Mines now show how close they are to depletion in their tooltip
- Fixed a bug that scaled mine income up when depletion began
- Machine gun damage reduced
- Machine gun number of interrupt attacks are now based on current AP not max AP (calculated at end of turn) (Community Suggestion)
- Fixed a bug with Machine guns interrupt attacks getting aim bonuses when they shouldn’t
- Grenade and Rocket-Launchers mishap chance and deviation now depend on distance to target (Community Suggestion)

Balance
- Increased drop chance of black powder
- Increased Scully Health so he qualified for the golden perk he starts with (Community Suggestion)
- Savior perk no longer grants Free Move
- Fix for bonus damage from explosives applying twice when using grenades (Community Suggestion)
- Changed thresholds for displaying keywords for mishap chance with explosives

Quest
- Fix for stopping the Grimer Hamlet quest too early
- Fix in the conversation of the Grimer Hamlet quest
- Fix for Sanatorium fail condition not to trigger when the quest is completed
- H4 Fort L'Eau Bleu will launch attacks properly when retaken by the enemy

Sat view / Operations
- Water travel can now put you in debt, and is available when already in debt (Community Suggestion)
- Militia training operation - the button for training is disabled when there are 8 elite units already trained
- R&R at Manny's Inn's sector is enabled (Community Suggestion)

Multiplayer
- Fix for desync when opening weapon modification screen in MP
- Fix combat end turn ready/not ready state visually not updating when guest leaves in MP

General Fixes
- Fix for missing merc silhouette when using melee Free Aim on an explosive barrel
- Fix for mercs not being able to rest if there is a current active banter
- Fix for Infinite loading screen softlock when loading during a setpiece or enemies reposition
- Fix for load/save changing the ammo capacity of some weapons
- Fix for an issue preventing Bandage to remove Bleeding out of combat if the target is at full hp
- Fix for Mortar visuals appearing distorted
- Fix for Sharpened Melee weapons reverting conditions
- Fix for issue which would cause movement cost to not include the cost of changing the stance at the end of movement and fail the action as a result
- Fix Loner perk activating at combat start instead of turn start
- Fix for emails marked as unread after reloading the game (Community Suggestion)
- Fixes to the shootable landmine count
- Fix for softlock when a lieutenant dies on the start of their turn from a status/environmental damage effect
- Fix for softlock after opening the laptop screen or Help Center during Split & Give item option
- Fix for UI disappearing when pressing open the "command menu" in the inventory panel - when using a gamepad
- Fix for being able to load a game while loading
- Fix for Quick-Prism Scope giving max aim instead of 3 aim levels on activation
- Fix for issue when refilling Medkit with drag and drop for single Meds drops the Medkit condition to 50% Bug
- Fix for Overwatch kills not counting to "Automatic kills" combat task
- Fix for incorrect visibility check leading to UI giving movement warnings when it shouldn't
- Fix for an issue that would reset the number of overwatch attacks to their initial amount when killing a unit

UI
- Inventory context menu - hide some actions for stash items that are in different sector
- Fix for rollovers of underground sector (such as the Fosse Noire mine) points of interest
- Fix for an overlap in floating text between skill checks and banters
- Fix for Mishap chance tooltip not updating properly
- Fix for exclamation mark in email tab not disappearing after reading all emails

Performance
- Improved VRAM management to address various performance issues
Ppl on steam forums are furious as MG are useless now. But they are wrong, MG's, just as any non-sniper rifles, were already useless before.

spectre

Arcane
Ppl on steam forums are furious as MG are useless now. But they are wrong, MG's, just as any non-sniper rifles, were already useless before.
That was already discussed on the previous page. Setup a machinegun on a group of enemies, pop one to force scatter turn.
You will kill way more dudes this way than with two or even three sniper rifles.

Also, people are right. Machineguns did nothing wrong.
Haven't seen the exact changes yet, but the stated goal was to make MGs unusable unless fully modded.
That's a pretty self-defeating approach when the very first machineguns you get your hands on don't take any mods, no?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

MG was super useful and killing machines before latest patch. Can easly mow down 3-4 in your turn and overwatch after for more killing power. Only problem was ammunition but you can find lots after a while, especially after enemies start dropping fully loaded MGs.

Beowulf

Arcane
It just further highlights the issue that Haemimont doesn't know how to design the tactical combat part properly.

Beowulf

Arcane

MG was super useful and killing machines before latest patch. Can easly mow down 3-4 easly and overwatch after for more killing power. Only problem was ammunition but you can find lots after a while, especillay after enemies start dropping fully loaded MGs.

Ammunition is also easily craftable. If you don't use MG's on every encounter you should have no problem running one MG per squad (but it would be best if it uses a different ammo type than the rest of the guns).

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The solution to the MG problem should be spawning 8 more butchers every encounter to absorb the machine gun fire and waste ammo

ArchAngel

Arcane
That was already discussed on the previous page. Setup a machinegun on a group of enemies, pop one to force scatter turn.
You will kill way more dudes this way than with two or even three sniper rifles.

Also, people are right. Machineguns did nothing wrong.
Haven't seen the exact changes yet, but the stated goal was to make MGs unusable unless fully modded.
That's a pretty self-defeating approach when the very first machineguns you get your hands on don't take any mods, no?
And that setup was issue of being able to stealth too easy with everyone way too close to enemies.
At least in ja2 1.13 to do that you need full camo gear and carry only light gear (including armor).

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Just mod it

And modding this game is pretty easy as well. I made some numerical adjustment as well on my own

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Just mod it
The problem with this is that the accuracy model is based on the idea that you can aim bursts, which is a little bit absurd. If you've ever fired an automatic weapon IRL (I have) you'd know that precision aiming with hand-held guns in auto- or burst-fire is nonsense. Hence why autofire is primarily used for suppression (there was a sniper who's preferred weapon of choice was a .50cal machinegun, but only because he could mount it and fire single shots very accurately.)

I prefer the Fallout system, where aiming and auto fire are mutually exclusive. If people mod AR/MGs to deal full damage per shot, they really should cap the accuracy of burst fire to 60-70% and remove the ability to target specific body parts.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Just mod it
The problem with this is that the accuracy model is based on the idea that you can aim bursts, which is a little bit absurd. If you've ever fired an automatic weapon IRL (I have) you'd know that precision aiming with hand-held guns in auto- or burst-fire is nonsense. Hence why autofire is primarily used for suppression (there was a sniper who's preferred weapon of choice was a .50cal machinegun, but only because he could mount it and fire single shots very accurately.)

I prefer the Fallout system, where aiming and auto fire are mutually exclusive. If people mod AR/MGs to deal full damage per shot, they really should cap the accuracy of burst fire to 60-70% and remove the ability to target specific body parts.

There are a lot of range between 50% nerf to full damage, currently I am using mod that boost auto/burst by 1.5 (so I guess 75% vanilla).

I do agree that using accuracy cap instead of damage nerf is probably the better thing to do, but for now I guess this has to do. Game rules seems mallable to be modded enough that I won't be surprised people gonna make mods on accuracy calculation as well.

But doing it this way will also means whole can of balance as well. Frankly if I am gonna hit only 50% of the time using burst fire or auto I might as well use 5 snipers teams instead.

ropetight

Savant
Just mod it

In the bursts you can aim first bullet, while others will spread around.
One technique is to try to predict where bullets will go based on recoil of the used weapon.
With the AK's it is viable to aim stationary target's legs at the distances 250-300m; remaining two shots of the burst will go up hitting the target's chest area.
You don't have to be sharpshooter to hit the target, it is easier than hitting target with single bullet at 100m.

So, some sort of realistic system will use short bursts as means to increase hit chance of one bullet of the burst; hits with multiple bullets should be exception.
Longer the burst, bigger the spread.
But it would probably be complicated to present it to the player visually.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Just mod it

Ja2 1.13 does it well, if you want to burst or auto only your first bullet has original accuracy, each additional one loses a lot of accuracy. There are weapon mods that reduce this penalty but not by a lot.

ropetight

Savant
So, some sort of realistic system will use short bursts as means to increase hit chance of one bullet of the burst; hits with multiple bullets should be exception.
Aka how XCom handled it.
Something similar.
And yet players are complaining about not hitting anything in X-Com when they have 95% shot.

I think in one of the dev diaries JA3 developers were talking about believability of to hit systems.
Why did they choose this implementation is beyond me.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
It's been a long time but I'm pretty sure burst fire accuracy in Xcom vanilla was capped to 60%. Still, you were always better off firing a three round burst if you had the AP vs aimed shots since 3x60 was better overall than 1x95, and you only needed to tag an enemy once to kill them most times.

It's kinda why I think it's funny to compare the "hardcore"-ness of JA2 vs JA3, these are both games where your Rambo mercs can shrug off 3-5 shots no problem and heal up in a few days, vs. Xcom where 80% of hits are lethal and surviving still heavily gimps all stats and requires months to heal.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's been a long time but I'm pretty sure burst fire accuracy in Xcom vanilla was capped to 60%. Still, you were always better off firing a three round burst if you had the AP vs aimed shots since 3x60 was better overall than 1x95, and you only needed to tag an enemy once to kill them most times.

It's kinda why I think it's funny to compare the "hardcore"-ness of JA2 vs JA3, these are both games where your Rambo mercs can shrug off 3-5 shots no problem and heal up in a few days, vs. Xcom where 80% of hits are lethal and surviving still heavily gimps all stats and requires months to heal.
Not sure, in my team only Steroid can survive that but he has Bodybuilding that gives him 25% damage reduction and has about 50% armor rating. His task is to enter first into all buildings. He lost half his life in last such attempt with 2 guys waiting inside (only one got reaction before he got into cover) and it took him 6 hours with 2 doctors working on him to get back to 100%.

Also I found my first sniper rifle (well technically 2nd but that 1st one didn't give me any ammo and Bobby is still not selling any for it :D) and got my first one shot head shot with it from a prone markswoman (Raven). Fun :D

ArchAngel

Arcane
Fuck! JA2 1.13 has million options to turn off or on but it does not have option to turn off chance of mercs not wanting to renew your contract if it falls within 3 days of ending.. I already lost 3 of them, all in irritating times because I cannot afford to give them 7 day contracts.. Then I hire another 1 day one, waste time waiting to arrive (and need to hold SAM sites in control so it does not come at starting area) and then renew all of them per 1 day when I can afford it.. and I only got 4 AIM mercs, none more expensive than about 2100 $ per day. I am day 16 now, I cannot go back to hiring 800$ crap mercs.. And some of them I have leveled up and trained into exactly what I need and then they just leave.. fuck.
I might need to turn on ability to make more IMP characters and hire more of those, this random chance is needless penalty when you are low on cash at start. I just got 2nd mine working in last few days and I am still waiting for it to get up to speed while wasting money on training militia for 2nd city/mine.

pm_675

Arbiter
Fuck! JA2 1.13 has million options to turn off or on but it does not have option to turn off chance of mercs not wanting to renew your contract if it falls within 3 days of ending.. I already lost 3 of them, all in irritating times because I cannot afford to give them 7 day contracts.. Then I hire another 1 day one, waste time waiting to arrive (and need to hold SAM sites in control so it does not come at starting area) and then renew all of them per 1 day when I can afford it.. and I only got 4 AIM mercs, none more expensive than about 2100 $ per day. I am day 16 now, I cannot go back to hiring 800$ crap mercs.. And some of them I have leveled up and trained into exactly what I need and then they just leave.. fuck.
I might need to turn on ability to make more IMP characters and hire more of those, this random chance is needless penalty when you are low on cash at start. I just got 2nd mine working in last few days and I am still waiting for it to get up to speed while wasting money on training militia for 2nd city/mine.

Yo, ArchAngel why don´t you go to any of the numerous threads about JA2 (1.13 or otherwise) on General RPG discussion like this one here and leave the JA3 thread to Ja3?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom