Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Ladonna

Arcane
OK, I am pulling back some of my criticism of JA3, mostly around projectile simulation and ability to miss from close range... I just had 2 misses in JA2 1.13 from 2 squares away where game showed my I had 100% and 96% hit chance... now I like UFO much more than JA series..
EDIT: and after my guy managed to not kill enemy with those 2 shots, enemy shot 3 times from same position and missed all 3... wtf is this ?! (OK enemy was critically wounded but this is still strange).

Ladonna

Arcane
I am interested to see what a high budget turn-based game by western devs have to offer. How often do we actually see high budge rpgs that don't use real-time. Not sure if Jagged Alliance 3 is high budget. Maybe.
Nah, I'd call JA3 "AA". It's good, but not that multi-million budget blowout kind of good. (And that more modest origin makes it better if you ask me.)
Yeah, it's probably AA. I agree that it is most likely better for it.

How did things get to the "multiple A's" way of rating stuff? A or A+ wasn't good enough? Too many people/companies got angry with getting a B?

Anyway

Beowulf

Arcane
So serious question about this. Is he boring AF after the detox? I sort of like the hippie LSD stoner vibe just for something different. If he becomes a vanilla boring merc with generic dialog after then I think I'll leave him in rainbow trippy land.
I recall detoxed Larry having a unique conversation with MD about preventing him from reverting to his addiction, but otherwise he didn't seem terribly different; however, it wasn't too long before I booted him to a new, tertiary squad, so I can't be sure one way or the other.
BTW, sober Larry can relapse.

cpmartins

Cipher
I am interested to see what a high budget turn-based game by western devs have to offer. How often do we actually see high budge rpgs that don't use real-time. Not sure if Jagged Alliance 3 is high budget. Maybe.
Nah, I'd call JA3 "AA". It's good, but not that multi-million budget blowout kind of good. (And that more modest origin makes it better if you ask me.)

How did things get to the "multiple A's" way of rating stuff? A or A+ wasn't good enough? Too many people/companies got angry with getting a B?

Anyway
It's not a rating, it's the size of the company. AAA are the big bois like Rockstar and Blizzard. AA are big but not at the same level, think Obsidian when doing Pillars. 50-100 people give or take.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Veteran militas level up and become elite militas but also they got hit with blackification beam :lol:
Watching your man turning into black just after a fight is LoL worthy.
I'm also amazed at voice work they did for this game. Whole milita interracts with each other and they start to respect hierarchy if they are talking to their superiors.

bobocrunch

Educated
Finished the game with the save showing 81 hours, pretty sure I did everything besides two bugged quests (Cursed Forest / The Beast)
Very enjoyable all the way through, the difficulty curve is odd near the start because of the openness after Ernie and leads to a lot of bullet sponges but after around the midgame it was fine. I think it's best to play on the highest difficulty so you need to utilize your resources more, even on Ironman / Commando I ended the game with 10 rockets a squad and over 50 mortars and too many grenades to count

KlDhZ4V.png

Is there anything you can say to Siegfried about the doctor in the fishing village and his goons attacking you? They talked like they were hired by him

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Someone on the net said that grenades and machine guns will be nerfed.
Nerfing seems stupid. They should work on the AI problem instead - like having dudes walking over corpses to get at you. It looks silly as hell at times.

There is a field of recently dead in front of you. All of them have smoking holes in them, like they have been shot by someone with terrifying aim. Do you...

1. Walk through the field of corpses
2. Try to flank, or find another way

The AI always picks 1.

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane

Some info on the upcoming patches.
A bit of tldr below:

They want to make easiest difficulty more accommodating. Game journalists at it again?

The damage nerfs on MG and grenades raise an eyebrow. Seems like grenade damage is too dependent on EXP skill,
which is bollocks, but I don't approve of them turning them into firecrackers in the process.

Tumbs up for tuning overwatch. Number of attacks now depend on AP spent to overwatch which is what I've just talked about, so nice of the devs to acknowledge this.
Similarly, the devs acknowledge the need for more money sinks, with hints of possible bobby ray's.

More concrete info on modding, this will come in stages.
Straight off the bat we should get a bunch of modding tutorials with blender integration for custom character models and weapons.
Next up, UI modification with map editing. All excellent news.

Beowulf

Arcane
Finished the game with the save showing 81 hours, pretty sure I did everything besides two bugged quests (Cursed Forest / The Beast)
Very enjoyable all the way through, the difficulty curve is odd near the start because of the openness after Ernie and leads to a lot of bullet sponges but after around the midgame it was fine. I think it's best to play on the highest difficulty so you need to utilize your resources more, even on Ironman / Commando I ended the game with 10 rockets a squad and over 50 mortars and too many grenades to count

KlDhZ4V.png

Is there anything you can say to Siegfried about the doctor in the fishing village and his goons attacking you? They talked like they were hired by him
What's up with Gus's censorship? Is it an anime penis?
You can just say that there were his soldiers and he will explain that it was a mistake and they misunderstood his orders.
EDIT: I believe you need to pass the mechanical check on the radio in the sector with the writer's diary

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
Someone on the net said that grenades and machine guns will be nerfed.
Nerfing seems stupid. They should work on the AI problem instead - like having dudes walking over corpses to get at you. It looks silly as hell at times.

There is a field of recently dead in front of you. All fill them have smoking holes in them, like they have been shot by someone with terrifying aim. Do you...

1. Walk through the field of corpses
2. Try to flank, or find another way

The AI always picks 1.

Yeah, the AI is quite poor. At least it seem to recognize incoming mortar strikes and gas clouds and doesn't walk blindly into them.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Some info on the upcoming patches.
A bit of tldr below:

They want to make easiest difficulty more accommodating. Game journalists at it again?

The damage nerfs on MG and grenades raise an eyebrow. Seems like grenade damage is too dependent on EXP skill,
which is bollocks, but I don't approve of them turning them into firecrackers in the process.

Tumbs up for tuning overwatch. Number of attacks now depend on AP spent to overwatch which is what I've just talked about, so nice of the devs to acknowledge this.
Similarly, the devs acknowledge the need for more money sinks, with hints of possible bobby ray's.

More concrete info on modding, this will come in stages.
Straight off the bat we should get a bunch of modding tutorials with blender integration for custom character models and weapons.
Next up, UI modification with map editing. All excellent news.

So in about a year it should be ready for playing. Tnx for beta testing it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The save system in this game is FUCKED holy shit :lol:

Sometimes you load the autosave at the start of the combat turn and it automatically ends your turn, giving the enemies a free turn.

Sometimes you save in the middle of a turn, load and it goes back to the beginning of the turn, but the next time you load the same save it works fine.

How am I supposed to savescum with this shit?

Beowulf

Arcane

Sometimes you load the autosave at the start of the combat turn and it automatically ends your turn, giving the enemies a free turn.

Sometimes you save in the middle of a turn, load and it goes back to the beginning of the turn, but the next time you load the same save it works fine.

How am I supposed to savescum with this shit?
Never had those issues.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Anyway
It's not a rating, it's the size of the company. AAA are the big bois like Rockstar and Blizzard. AA are big but not at the same level, think Obsidian when doing Pillars. 50-100 people give or take.

There's no definition, it's making fun of the movie industry where everything used to be A,B or C but then eventually everything started being called A, so they had to keep inventing new categories above it. AA, AAA etc.

Fargus

Arcane
To get a good ending for green diamond you need to safekeep and donate it to museum? Looks like commies sold it lol

Also presidents daughter is unhappy because the corporate whore walked away and it ended up in court, she said she deserves to be in jail. Any other endings to it? I killed colonel, saved Biff, checked the refugee camp after attack, spared Major, what else needs to be done?

Sunri

Liturgist
To get a good ending for green diamond you need to safekeep and donate it to museum? Looks like commies sold it lol

Also presidents daughter is unhappy because the corporate whore walked away and it ended up in court, she said she deserves to be in jail. Any other endings to it? I killed colonel, saved Biff, checked the refugee camp after attack, spared Major, what else needs to be done?
yes you need more evidence reunite negro butler from the mansion with hermit investigate war crimes in refuge camp idk what else someone listed all of them few pages back

cpmartins

Cipher
Turn on "To the Bitter End" mode, problem solved.
I'm almost to the end of my third playthrough with a single IMP merc on the highest difficulty and with "To The Bitter End" activated, so no save-scumming mid-combat and no retreating. I had to reload maybe 10, 12 times? Melee is so OP isn't even funny. What a great game, I highly recommend everyone does this challenge. Shit gets real and you're running around half-health with a bunch of niggers shooting you like it's Christmas in Rio de Janeiro.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm at the bottom left prison as we speak, in the game right now. Went in with Barry, and Raider. They have been wreaking havoc, but 17 enemies... I just wanted to say:
:shredder:

Live reporting: Camo vests are saving their asses. Took out the guard at the tower with an explosive, no one else reacted.

Live report #2: Barry sneaking around with a camo vest, disabling mines, and Raider sniping people from the guard tower. I think the outside will be fine, but the underground floor?
1691008253907.png

Last edited:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
The Prison Basement is something else entirely, it's great how you can tell how much a of a bastard some bastard is going to be depending on what kind of piece they're carrying, and IIRC there's at least one motherfucker there packing an AUG.

This game actually has some pretty good interior environment combat, which is a shame since it's still real rare. The bunker fights and the prison basement are standouts.

Beowulf

Arcane
I'm at the bottom left prison as we speak, in the game right now. Went in with Barry, and Raider. They have been wreaking havoc, but 17 enemies... I just wanted to say:

Live reporting: Camo vests are saving their asses. Took out the guard at the tower with an explosive, no one else reacted.

Live report #2: Barry sneaking around with a camo vest, disabling mines, and Raider sniping people from the guard tower. I think the outside will be fine, but the underground floor? View attachment 39556

The Underground is piss easy if you just go inside from the building, and don't use the big entrance at the perimeter wall. Once inside, you can comfortably put overwatch and kill most enemies running towards you in a couple of turns.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Live report #2: Barry sneaking around with a camo vest, disabling mines, and Raider sniping people from the guard tower. I think the outside will be fine, but the underground floor? View attachment 39556
What do camo vests do? Reduce enemy detection range from 10 squares to 2?
At least in JA2 1.13 you need to have a spy character and get some disguise to get close to enemy..

Modron

Arcane
Hard to say whether it decreases detection range, adds to the time it takes to be detected outside of combat or who knows maybe both depending on in or out of combat status since you can remain undetected while in combat. It will probably be one of those things autistic testers, data miners, or a developer will have to reveal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom